Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Stay strong lads. Hold firm and put on the green jersey for Ireland. Sure it's only two weeks to flatten the curve.

What could possibly go wrong? I mean, it's not like we'll have been in lockdown for 14 months come May or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

My god the condescension on the last few pages of this post is unbelievable. Everyone needs to chill out a bit.

Either way here we go again. Another 9 weeks of this absolute balderdash, and while I am not surprised I am heartbroken. I fear there will be another excuse in May and we will never be out of this.

I think you mean thread not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

There'll be even more people who choose to ignore the restrictions now. Another 9 weeks will become another 9 months before you know it.

All well and good if you're like the Government and NPHET on full pay, or comfortable working from home. Not so good if you have any bit of work ethic and ambition, and are being forced out of work by the aforementioned dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No doubt it is good news but not so much with us been locked down for another 9 weeks and then possibly only moving to level 4

That depends on how short or long term you’re thinking. Cutting transmissions by two thirds bodes well for the next year. The vaccine wouldn’t really have much impact on the next few weeks.

It’s good news, even if you don’t really want to see it as good news.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    No-one said it would ‘end’ in March or April, but there was talk of an easing of some restrictions by then. Bit tighter now with the worry over the transmissibility of the U.K. variant, but hopefully after Easter we’ll be in a better place to ease a few bits of bobs (not sure what but perhaps gyms/hairdressers/non-essential retail etc)...

That’s fair. It’s pretty clear that when they say “we might be able to ease restrictions in March” lots (maybe most) people ignore the “might” and behave as if it was a guarantee of ending restrictions in March.

Most people don’t really understand what they’re reading. Most people interpret it to suit what they want to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

That’s fair. It’s pretty clear that when they say “we might be able to ease restrictions in March” lots (maybe most) proper ignore the “might” and behave as if it was a guarantee of ending restrictions in March.

Most people don’t really understand what they’re reading. Most people interpret it to suit what they want to believe.
    Yeah you keep saying that. It's getting boring now. Change the record.

mcsean2163 wrote: »

Where did anyone say when it would end? They extended the date, but nobody said that’s when it would end. It means it definitely wouldn’t end before that date in March, but that’s not the same as saying it would end on that data in March.

You can’t make up your own interpretation and be sad when your version doesn’t happen in real life.

Yeah you keep saying that. It's getting boring now. Change the record.

I’ll only keep pointing it out for as long as people keep doing it.

Maybe suggest to them that they start reading what’s actually being said rather than reimagining things the way they want them to be?

Doesn’t it surprise you to see how many people misunderstand so many of these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Where did anyone say when it would end? They extended the date, but nobody said that’s when it would end. It means it definitely wouldn’t end before that date in March, but that’s not the same as saying it would end on that data in March.

You can’t make up your own interpretation and be sad when your version doesn’t happen in real life.

It's not unreasonable for people to assume that a review after case numbers have plummeted would result in an easing of restrictions. If the numbers had stayed as high as in early January or hadn't come down to much then yes, hoping for them to ease would be ridiculous. But that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

What kind of doublespeak is this? A time extension is when you push out the end date.

• Advertisement

It's not unreasonable for people to assume that a review after case numbers have plummeted would result in an easing of restrictions. If the numbers had stayed as high as in early January or hadn't come down to much then yes, hoping for them to ease would be ridiculous. But that isn't the case.

That’s a wish that numbers will come down and restrictions will end in March (or and date)

I was asking if anyone had told them when things would end.

Wishing is fine, but you can’t expect other people to conform to your wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE led off the news this morning with the announcement that strict restrictions will in place until May. Strict restrictions could be Level 4.9. We are still in February?

The government needs to come up with an alternative plan regarding some of these restrictions. We all well remember how crap our summer was last year, and the only decent bit of sunshine and warmth was in April and May. There are millions of us on this island who are not 5 km within a beach or a coastal walk/location. The 5 km restriction rule will not hold if the sun is splitting the skies in April and May. The government should allow access to coastal locations in order for all of us to get a bit of salt air and an opportunity to walk by the water. This will have enormous mental health benefits and it can be done within the social distancing guidelines.

This government will also need to change not only their messaging but how they convey it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Lockdown level 5 was extended until march 5th. That implies an end of l5 or reassessment at least on or before March 5th It appears they are now extending the extension.

The way I looked at it is that a match has gone into extra time and the referee has now extended the extra time.

What kind of doublespeak is this? A time extension is when you push out the end date.

Oh, man, it isn’t.

It wasn’t an end date. It was just a date that they can definitely go to and they always said it was subject to review. It was more like a minimum date (but it wasn’t a hard minimum date either)

Do yourself a favour and don’t take a date like that to be the end date. If they say “schools will all resume on x date”. That’s a date. Saying restrictions are in until March and we’ll review it in the meantime, doesn’t mean restrictions will end in March. It means they’re subject to review.

It’s really important to read what’s actually said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If the vaccines work and yield the results as hoped in the coming months restrictions will begin to ease. It doesn’t matter what they are saying today things can change as the vaccination program continues.

Come September and if the population are vaccinated we won’t be locked up if sickness and deaths are down.

There will still be cases and deaths and there will be new variants so they will still say it is too early to open up and they will insist on masks distancing and restrictions

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/vaccine-certificates-5358684-Feb2021/

"My support has nothing to do with restricting the rights of Irish people to go about their business in Ireland. The Irish Council for Civil Liberties has rightly raised the red flag about such a certificate being used to restrict access to services or facilities in Ireland. It cannot and should not be used to force anyone to get vaccinated if they chose not to.

Late last year, Qantas, the Australian airline, announced that only vaccinated people would be able to book seats on their planes. That leaves us with a dilemma. If Irish people want to fly to Australia using that airline then they need a way of proving they have been vaccinated."

This isn't a tinfoil hat lunatic saying this.
    This is Billy Kelleher MEP!

The implications are clear.
    You will not be able to socialize work travel and use many services or exercise your freedoms as you normally did unless you are vaccinated even though the virus kills 0.03% of the population.

But of course you are free not to take it.

LOL

Lockdown level 5 was extended until march 5th. That implies an end of l5 or reassessment at least on or before March 5th It appears they are now extending the extension.

The way I looked at it is that a match has gone into extra time and the referee has now extended the extra time.

Match analogy aside, the dates were always subject to review. They were more like minimums than maximums.

Did you not read the part where they said the dates were subject to review? If you did read it, what did “subject to review” imply?

Fwiw, we have 3rd strictest government restrictions in the world.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=table&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-01-22..latest&region=World

But we do not have the third highest case numbers per capita. I don't know what it means but our policy seems to be UK + more restrictions.

It's so different now when Tony and Leo kept everything open with the goal of timing the shutdown to not swamp hospitals. Remember Cheltenham etc

I don't want to be ghoulish but I just can't understand what we are doing in the face of a disease that has an average age of death greater than life expectancy.

The worst thing by far is the inhumanity of not allowing people to be near those dying and the funeral restrictions.

That's it, I'm writing to TDs. To me at least this is nuts

Match analogy aside, the dates were always subject to review. They were more like minimums than maximums.

Did you not read the part where they said the dates were subject to review? If you did read it, what did “subject to review” imply?

Originally it was three weeks to flatten the curve. 12 months on we are no closer to getting out of this.

There are only two possibilities.

1. This was the plan all along and an evil plot is afoot to destroy the world as we know it.

2. Our leaders are utterly incompetent and are making this up as they go along with no clue how we get out of this and are only interested in clinging to power whatever the cost.

It believe option 2 is the reality.

Nobody thinking person can take this pandemic seriously anymore.

Each one of us must ask themselves right now:

"What are you prepared to do?"

I don't want to be ghoulish but I just can't understand what we are doing in the face of a disease that has an average age of death greater than life expectancy.

What's worse is that Ireland has hardly suppressed the virus compared to other countries which have had far looser restrictions.

There is no reason why we can't, like much of the rest of Europe, open up to some extent whilst maintaining reasonable precautions.

The virus isn't more lethal to Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Originally it was three weeks to flatten the curve. 12 months on we are no closer to getting out of this.

1. This was the plan all along and an evil plot is afoot to destroy the world as we know it.

2. Our leaders are utterly incompetent and are making this up as they go along with no clue how we get out of this and are only interested in clinging to power whatever the cost.

Think there’s a fair few more possibilities than that now to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No 2 which is no surprise, we’ve always known that. I’m willing to take to the streets once the elderly are vaccinated. Problem is that they’re too incompetent to get that done in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=table&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-01-22..latest&region=World

But we do not have the third highest case numbers per capita. I don't know what it means but our policy seems to be UK + more restrictions.

It's so different now when Tony and Leo kept everything open with the goal of timing the shutdown to not swamp hospitals. Remember Cheltenham etc

The worst thing by far is the inhumanity of not allowing people to be near those dying and the funeral restrictions.

That's it, I'm writing to TDs. To me at least this is nuts
    We have the third strictest restrictions in the world because it's an easy solution for a government with no ideas, no creativity, no clue what they're doing. Just lock everyone down and hide under some coats until it sorts itself out. They had no plans for hospitals. They had no plans for education. They are absolutely clueless.

Third possibility, they are scared after the Christmas debacle. They lost a lot of political capital by going against nphet.

We're in a league of our own with Eritrea, Honduras and Cuba. I certainly don't see it as a conspiracy

What's worse is that Ireland has hardly suppressed the virus compared to other countries which have had far looser restrictions.

There is no reason why we can't, like much of the rest of Europe, open up to some extent whilst maintaining reasonable precautions.

The virus isn't more lethal to Irish people.

Unfortunately your reasonable argument is not listened to in wider society and is certainly not getting a hearing in the corridors of power or in the media.

Why?

The fact is the elite in this country like elsewhere has fastened onto the notion that the state controls the climate and controls viruses and like the Soviets did can control human nature.

They have forgotten that government is reactive limited in power dependent on the economy for its revenue and on the support of the people.

The facade is now crumbling before our eyes.

People must step back and recognise the limits of state power accept the sl8ngs and arrows of outrageous fortune or else double down on futile totalitarian control or face every greater disaster as the economy fails society disintegrates and extremism and anarchy and violence look likely to boil over.

No option 3? The option to read what they actually said which is that the lockdowns were subject to review when more info was available?

What are you prepared to do, Spartacus? I mean, Samson?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Give me liberty, or give me death!

Unless there's a virus with a 99.9% survival rate, in this case you should:

1.Strip me of my job
    2.Strip me of my freedom
    3.Strip me of my constitutional rights
    4.Put me under house arrest

Just looked up government website.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e2374-extension-of-level-5-restrictions-and-introduction-of-measures-for-international-travel/

It's still march 5th? Who's the joker here?

We're well below some other countries, maybe restrictions will be raised? Schools allowed to open?

Just looked up government website.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e2374-extension-of-level-5-restrictions-and-introduction-of-measures-for-international-travel/

It's still march 5th? Who's the joker here?

We're well below some other countries, maybe restrictions will be raised? Schools allowed to open?

Where does it say when it will end? I see them saying they have provision to implement the restrictions until March, nothing says they can’t or won’t extend the restrictions. Nothing says they guarantee reopening in March.

It’s important to read what they do and don’t actually say.

Don’t consider yourself a joker. Most people don’t need to read government statements until a crisis like this. those statements are very carefully crafted. They’re not supposed to be sloppily reinterpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where does it say when it will end? I see them saying they have provision to implement the restrictions until March, nothing says they can’t or won’t extend the restrictions. Nothing says they guarantee reopening in March.

It’s important to read what they do and don’t actually say.

Don’t consider yourself a joker. Most people don’t need to read government statements until a crisis like this. those statements are very carefully crafted. They’re not supposed to be sloppily reinterpreted.

Hahahahaha you think our government's messaging has been carefully crafted?

We find out on twitter several days before any message is 'crafted'. Its a ****ing mess, denying that is just masochistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

bubblypop wrote: »
    So everyone would be happy if we open up next week with a curfew from 7pm to 7am?

Id be delighted not just happy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement