Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

It stops when you want it to stop.

Honestly if your life, mood and enjoyment depends on what comes out of M Martin & Leo you are in for 1 sad life. Time to move on.

As to their silly announcements? I Would look towards UK > NI, as last time I checked when NI went into lockdown immediately on same day our great leader announced - you guessed it - going into level 5. Co incidence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Where does it say when it will end? I see them saying they have provision to implement the restrictions until March, nothing says they can’t or won’t extend the restrictions. Nothing says they guarantee reopening in March.

It’s important to read what they do and don’t actually say.

Don’t consider yourself a joker. Most people don’t need to read government statements until a crisis like this. those statements are very carefully crafted. They’re not supposed to be sloppily reinterpreted.

Someone here said that the lockdown is to be extended by 9 weeks. As it stands that is rumour and nothing has been officially announced. For all we know, non essential sex shops could be allowed to reopen. We could be level 4.5 after March 5th...

Lundstram wrote: »
    Yeah, let's punish the majority of drinkers who enjoy a few drinks at the weekend after a long week at work because of a few teenagers having house parties. :rolleyes:

There's some people who won't be happy until everyone in the country is sitting at home 24/7 staring at a blank wall drinking water and eating bread until our embarrassment of a government ease restrictions.

Truly embarrassing.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Someone here said that the lockdown is to be extended by 9 weeks. As it stands that is rumour and nothing has been officially announced. For all we know, non essential sex shops could be allowed to reopen. We could be level 4.5 after March 5th...

Unfortunate IT picked it up

No further easing of restrictions, beyond the phased return of schools from early March, are likely to be announced by Government next week after the State’s public health team warned of a plateau in the fight against Covid-19.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

I honestly hope thats wrong. I mean we ll have 1-2 m vaccinated by end of March, how in gods name can level 5 restrictions remain until May??

tons of peer reviewed scientific studies show not only 94%+ effectiveness of vaccines but also that 1 jab is enough to reduce transmissions by 2 thirds. imagine 2 jabs..... start re opening the country by mid March like...

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Unfortunate IT picked it up

No further easing of restrictions, beyond the phased return of schools from early March, are likely to be announced by Government next week after the State’s public health team warned of a plateau in the fight against Covid-19.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

I honestly hope thats wrong. I mean we ll have 1-2 m vaccinated by end of March, how in gods name can level 5 restrictions remain until May??

tons of peer reviewed scientific studies show not only 94%+ effectiveness of vaccines but also that 1 jab is enough to reduce transmissions by 2 thirds. imagine 2 jabs..... start re opening the country by mid March like...

Where are you getting 1 - 2 million from? That is almost certainly wrong.

• Advertisement

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) was “very, very cautious in their presentation” to the committee, according to sources, which said the phased reopening of schools was “about the limit of what they can support”.

Experts on 6 digit salary with guaranteed pensions and secure jobs say that schools re opening is just about the limit of what they can recommend.

The more this absolute nonsense uncovers, like we have fkin vaccines now we have vaccinated probably 200k + people elderly over 90s healthcare workers already now. And what does that give ? Maybe we could phase out re open some schools. absolute shambles. Fuming.

Where are you getting 1 - 2 million from? That is almost certainly wrong.

they ve planned to vaccinate 1.2m by end of March. Thats before johnson and johnson vaccine approval and swift distribution

Point being March will be the 3rd month in level 5 lockdown. It will also be 3 months of vaccinating people. results? well level 5 until May. Absolute shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AdamD wrote: »
    Hahahahaha you think our government's messaging has been carefully crafted?

We find out on twitter several days before any message is 'crafted'. Its a ****ing mess, denying that is just masochistic.

I don’t think you know what masochistic means.

But, yes. Those statements are crafted. If they don’t say “the end date for x restriction is y date. On y date z things can reopen” then they didn’t say it. And that statement didn’t say anything would end on 5 March. They said they would run until 5 March. Likewise, I plan to live until 20 February. I plan to live long after 20feb, but certain until then.

Can you see the difference between what the government statement actually said and “restrictions will end on 5 March”? Serious question. No shame in not being able to see the difference. I’m just asking if you can see the difference.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Yeah. No end date has been announced yet. We don’t know. I think saying “I don’t know” makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. But the truth is we don’t know yet.

No point setting arbitrary dates and getting cross when government doesn’t conform to our imaginary deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

they ve planned to vaccinate 1.2m by end of March. Thats before johnson and johnson vaccine approval and swift distribution

Point being March will be the 3rd month in level 5 lockdown. It will also be 3 months of vaccinating people. results? well level 5 until May. Absolute shambles

Sixth month of Level 5 lockdown, with a short break of a couple weeks at Christmas.

• Advertisement

How does this happen??

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2021/02/18/79477/provinces-easing-lockdown-spain.html

The Balearic government will come under even greater pressure to re-open bars as from today in Madrid bars and restaurants will be allowed to stay open until 11p.m.

Like what in the actual fcuk? I Hope that nonsense about level 5 to May is very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don’t think you know what masochistic means.

But, yes. Those statements are crafted. If they don’t say “the end date for x restriction is y date. On y date z things can reopen” then they didn’t say it. And that statement didn’t say anything would end on 5 March. They said they would run until 5 March. Likewise, I plan to live until 20 February. I plan to live long after 20feb, but certain until then.

Can you see the difference between what the government statement actually said and “restrictions will end on 5 March”? Serious question. No shame in not being able to see the difference. I’m just asking if you can see the difference.

I can see the difference you condescending ****. I've never once claimed they said restrictions would end on a certain day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

uli84 wrote: »
    Id be delighted not just happy :)

Yep would love a curfew. It's not like we're out at night doing anything fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I think the new ‘announcement’ is a clue that they won’t have the elderly vaccinated until May at the earliest. I’ve posted before, my 89 yr old relative won’t have his second dose till mid April. Then they have to work down through the others. It’s a shambles, it’s like no-one made any advance preparations for the vaccines we all knew were coming. Last minute ****e, as always.

Hand crafted statements, stirred with a wooden handled spoon on nana's aga

Piss off

AdamD wrote: »
    I can see the difference you condescending ****. I've never once claimed they said restrictions would end on a certain day.

Ah. So you do see how the statement was crafted. But you said earlier that is was a mess.

You might have appreciate the craft and precision in that message, but most people seem to have made a balls of reading it. Those posters who thought it meant the lockdown would end on 5 March, made a balls of reading it.

Multipass wrote: »
    I think the new ‘announcement’ is a clue that they won’t have the elderly vaccinated until May at the earliest. I’ve posted before, my 89 yr old relative won’t have his second dose till mid April. Then they have to work down through the others. It’s a shambles, it’s like no-one made any advance preparations for the vaccines we all knew were coming. Last minute ****e, as always.

The Irish side of vaccinations (administering a the available vaccination to people) has run fine. The bottleneck has been supply. Ireland isn’t doing it last minute. It’s administering the vaccines it has reasonably well.

We’ll see how what their capacity for administering the vaccine is once the get more vaccines. But the way haven’t been past capacity yet. That’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Only a lunatic would be saying let's open the country full whack, no restrictions, no social distancing, no nothing on March 5th.
    Equally, only a lunatic would say keep the country on full Level 5 lockdown, no travel beyond the 5k, no retail outlets, no hairdressers, barbers ect, no outdoor meet ups or sports, until May.

It's not one or the other. It's just adapting to the circumstances and with numbers going down, hospitals not at full capacity and with vaccination's increasing all the time, just give people something! No right minded person expects everything to be "normal" in May, but another 9 weeks of this, given how long we've already endured it, is the work of a lunatic.

The Irish side of vaccinations (administering a the available vaccination to people) has run fine. The bottleneck has been supply. Ireland isn’t doing it last minute. It’s administering the vaccines it has reasonably well.

We’ll see how what their capacity for administering the vaccine is once the get more vaccines. But the way haven’t been past capacity yet. That’s good.

The vaccination centre near me is still being built! If that’s not last minute, what the hell is?

For once I agree with you, although there is a strong case for us to source extra supplies outside the EMA as other EU countries have done. People shouldn't have to die to keep Brussels happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Ah. So you do see how the statement was crafted. But you said earlier that is was a mess.

You might have appreciate the craft and precision in that message, but most people seem to have made a balls of reading it. Those posters who thought it meant the lockdown would end on 5 March, made a balls of reading it.

So many people "misunderstood" a message and your takeaway is that the communication was highly effective?

Only a lunatic would be saying let's open the country full whack, no restrictions, no social distancing, no nothing on March 5th.
    Equally, only a lunatic would say keep the country on full Level 5 lockdown, no travel beyond the 5k, no retail outlets, no hairdressers, barbers ect, no outdoor meet ups or sports, until May.

It's not one or the other. It's just adapting to the circumstances and with numbers going down, hospitals not at full capacity and with vaccination's increasing all the time, just give people something! No right minded person expects everything to be "normal" in May, but another 9 weeks of this, given how long we've already endured it, is the work of a lunatic.

Yeah they’re suggesting schools going back in March. I don’t have children but I hear from people with to children that that’s a big thing for them.

So many people "misunderstood" a message and your takeaway is that the communication was highly effective?

Yes loads of people misunderstood.

I didn’t say it was effective. I said it was crafted. By that I mean it was accurate and short. It said what it meant and didn’t say the things it didn’t mean - but lots of people misunderstood it. Those people took it to mean they would end the lockdown on March 5th, but it didn’t say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Anyone you believes the government messaging has been on point is living in dreamland.

They have been all over the place.

Martin giving a interview to the Mirror last night and stating we will remain in level 5 till may at least was taking the piss.

This should have been done on the tv on the 6pm news as a proper government broadcast not snuck out in a late night interview.

And where is martin this morning to explain his comments--probably on his way back to Cork for the weekend.

I know they are "essential" workers but I would love our government to go home and work from the kitchen table or bedroom until 1 may and see how they cope with a lock down they are basically exempt from. I know it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Yeah they’re suggesting schools going back in March. I don’t have children but I hear from people with to children that that’s a big thing for them.

As someone who doeant have kids i only go on what people say and this is good news for parents.

Feel like as a single person in 30s i am falling into the category when will anything change for me (selfish mentality i know). If opening schools delays everything else by a few more weeks evntually i would like them to remain closed.

Hopefully distanced stuff like golf, meeting outdoors etc open with schools then it would be a weight lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As someone who doeant have kids i only go on what people say and this is good news for parents.

Feel like as a single person in 30s i am falling into the category when will anything change for me (selfish mentality i know). If opening schools delays everything else by a few more weeks evntually i would like them to remain closed.

Hopefully distanced stuff like golf, meeting outdoors etc open with schools then it would be a weight lifted.

We seem to be going back to the autumn plan of sacrifice all else to keep the schools open. I can somewhat understand it. I can see the stress my coworkers with kids are under and I'm genuinely happy for them. On the other hand, I'm worried that it will lead to increased spread of the virus and result in the rest of the restrictions lasting for longer. I'm in my 30s as well. Not single (thankfully) and I don't have kids but it's hard to see when things will change for me personally.

I know that comes across as selfish, I know others are worse off than I am but it's hard not to despair at the fact I don't know when my life will return to some form of normality.

It’s a FF FG government. It’s the main base for older voters. They don’t know about young people and they don’t need to know about young people.

How will old people reward the young people for their sacrifices? By voting for politicians with progressive policies, affordable housing, good transport and so on? They’ll most likely vote for more FF or FG politicians who will keep their house prices up by not building too many new houses.

We have a government that old people want and it’s cautiously protecting old people. It’s not good for young people, that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

When did he have his first dose?
    The vaccination centre near me is still being built! If that’s not last minute, what the hell is?
    What do you mean built? They're all existing buildings. Do you mean putting up the dividers?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    When did he have his first dose?

What do you mean built? They're all existing buildings. Do you mean putting up the dividers?

In 3 weeks from now.

There is construction going on at racecourses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Originally it was three weeks to flatten the curve. 12 months on we are no closer to getting out of this.

There are only two possibilities.

1. This was the plan all along and an evil plot is afoot to destroy the world as we know it.

2. Our leaders are utterly incompetent and are making this up as they go along with no clue how we get out of this and are only interested in clinging to power whatever the cost.

It believe option 2 is the reality.

Nobody thinking person can take this pandemic seriously anymore.

Each one of us must ask themselves right now:

"What are you prepared to do?"

There is a 3rd possibility.
    It's more practical to lockdown the entire country for 14 months than to attempt any kind of reform and improvement of the HSE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement