Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So - Brexit and Ireland - what are the consequences?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like most big retailers in the UK that are used to exporting, they're fully set up to collect Irish (or any EU) VAT, so there's no extra to be paid after the fact.

But even if one was buying an item that attracted the very highest rate of Customs Duty, and both UK and Irish VAT were added together, there's no way the markup could be 100%.

Are you sure when she "said" she spent €45 she was correct?

Not necessarily true, there's been numerous instances of this sort of thing, most high profile one I'm aware of is Microsoft, in which people have had similar issues with IT and Xbox hardware. It's one I'm following anyway as I do get most of our hardware from them whenever we need something.
    This poster
    jodome wrote: »
    Sort of a reverse bargain alert / #brexit nuisance

I ordered a new controller for my Series X off the Microsoft website and sat back to wait. UPS pushed the delivery due date back a day and it arrived today. With a bill for an extra 40/EUR in taxes because, even though I ordered on Microsoft's Ireland site, they were shipping from the UK. Refused the delivery and called Microsoft (1800 71 0200 in case anyone finds themselves in a similar spot). They are aware of the issue and for the moment don't recommend placing a new order. They'll look to issue a refund once the item is returned to them by UPS.

and these examples
    https://twitter.com/Noelle_OC/status/1347158625278636034
    https://twitter.com/damiencollins8/status/1348584389576454145

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not necessarily true, there's been numerous instances of this sort of thing, most high profile one I'm aware of is Microsoft, in which people have had similar issues with IT and Xbox hardware. It's one I'm following anyway as I do get most of our hardware from them whenever we need something.
    This poster

There's going to be mistakes and cockups for sure. And when they do happen, they're going to be difficult to sort out. The important thing is that people know what they should be charged, and under what circumstances. That guy with the X-Box controller was right to refuse the package.

I think most problems are going to be down to the lack of proper paperwork. If the seller messes up the paperwork, it's going to be a nightmare alright. All kinds of doublecharging and delays.

Every package needs a CN 22 or CN 23 form (depending on the value of the package) stuck outside the package, that details the goods, the value, the country of origin, etc. If Irish VAT and Duty have already been paid at the time of purchase, that has to be declared on the paperwork too. Without all of this, the package is going to be liable to inspection, charges, handling fees, etc.

You would expect Microsoft to get this right, though. So it is a sobering and cautionary story.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hello2020

Real Life wrote: »
    Just a heads up on buying form clothes shops online, ASOS is not affected in the same way many of the other similar shops are as they have a base in I think Germany so anything we buy here will now come from there. Something to keep in mind when clothes shopping online.

Any suggestion about impact on laptop purchases from Amazon UK? Since laptop is priced above 400 euros , will it attract any custom charge or gets delivered to home as before?

hello2020 wrote: »
    Any suggestion about impact on laptop purchases from Amazon UK? Since laptop is priced above 400 euros , will it attract any custom charge or gets delivered to home as before?

Who is the seller? If it’s Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon, just put it in the cart and go to the checkout. You’ll see exactly what the end cost will be, as all VAT and any customs will be charged there.

If it’s a third party seller that ships themselves, or a marketplace seller, chances are you’ll be hit by VAT on arrival, at 21%. Plus whatever the delivery company decide to charge in “handling fees” for the privilege of charging you the VAT.

There’s zero customs duty on laptops regardless of cost or origin:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210113&Area=GB&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8471300000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Was going to buy something from sports direct and from .ie site but wasn't sure if it I'd get hit with extra charges or not as I expect it to get sent from uk

I think that is the general consensus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Amazon should set up .ie address and serve the island of Ireland from a distribution center here.

I think this will happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Amazon should set up .ie address and serve the island of Ireland from a distribution center here.

Not likely. Their Singapore site is the only one for a country remotely comparable in population/economy to us and that's basically a hub for SE Asia anyway. Every other site is for massive economies. No chance they'll set one up for lowly little Ireland!

I'd say the most likely outcome is a gradual shift away from the .co.uk. site to the .fr and .de sites for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Won’t buy anything from .co.Uk sites for the foreseeable.

I’ll review in a few weeks

It's not just Co. UK sites.
    I got some cables from cablemonkey. Ie that are liable for Vat.

Just make sure they have an Irish or eu distribution center holding the stock.

But there's no need for them to do that. They have everything in place for them to sell to Ireland via .co.uk already, with Irish VAT collected at the checkout. For the majority of items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, the experiences and cost for Irish customers is exactly the same as it was before Brexit.

For the small percentage of stock that does attract Customs Duty (remember, there's no Customs Duty at all on orders under €150, which the vast majority of Amazon orders are, and there's also none on most consumer electronics and many other common items - clothing being a notable exception), setting up a whole Irish operation isn't worth the effort.

There's only a problem with 3rd party and Marketplace sellers, but that won't be solved by a .ie site, because those things aren't being shipped by Amazon anyway.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Was going to buy something from sports direct and from .ie site but wasn't sure if it I'd get hit with extra charges or not as I expect it to get sent from uk

I think that is the general consensus

Sports Direct say they're set up to collect all applicable EU taxes for EU costumers:
    For customers based outside the UK but in the EU: the prices for goods on the Website include all applicable taxes.

https://help.sportsdirect.com/support/solutions/articles/76000021985-terms-conditions-non-uk-customers-

That means what you see in the Checkout is the final price, and you should not be hit for anything else on delivery.

If you are, something has gone wrong, and you should refuse the delivery and contact Sports Direct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Numerous things ordered from the UK, including medical appliances, not being delivered/lost/postponed for who knows how long.

Obviously lots of people with bigger issues as well.

The Brits have well and truly screwed us and many others in Europe as well.

Is there anyone who will hold them accountable? They need to be blocked, barred, blacklisted from every facet of life in the EU. Things really need to get dirty. They need to be made to pay for this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The_Brood wrote: »
    Numerous things ordered from the UK, including medical appliances, not being delivered/lost/postponed for who knows how long.

Obviously lots of people with bigger issues as well.

The Brits have well and truly screwed us and many others in Europe as well.

Is there anyone who will hold them accountable? They need to be blocked, barred, blacklisted from every facet of life in the EU. Things really need to get dirty. They need to be made to pay for this.
    Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    I don't believe that the issues are deliberate but more down to a lack of preparation by the UK government in terms of recruiting customs staff and for preparing businesses in how to manage the required export paperwork.
    Many companies are unable to produce because of the disruption to required imported raw materials.
    Whilst it's a right clusterfupp it's not revenge or them punishing us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    I don't believe that the issues are deliberate but more down to a lack of preparation by the UK government in terms of recruiting customs staff and for preparing businesses in how to manage the required export paperwork.
    Many companies are unable to produce because of the disruption to required imported raw materials.

That really doesn't matter. They were told it would cause problems, they voted for it anyway. They voted for Brexit, then they voted for parties that backed Brexit. Or they stood by and watched it happen. It's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The distribution centre is built. They recently installed the racking. They aren't too far away from starting to stock it. But from looking at the type of racking they installed, I'd guess they are going to stock it with main sellers and then the slower moving items will come in from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes but...

They had four years to get their sovereignty and their fish..four bloody years and they left it to the last minute to prepare exactly ...nothing.

The UK currently is a black hole when it comes to freight. Anything (in work) we've shipped to UK customers so far hasn't arrived and materials we need can't leave.
    Thankfully 90% of our business - in and out - is outside of the UK, but even that is seriously impacted because you have to ship it around the long way with limited capacity and extra days lost.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Agreed but it's pure and simple incompetence and not down to malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wonder how the NHS are getting on with their extra £350 million per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Caquas wrote: »
    Before Brexit, I was highly impressed with Amazon Prime. Stuff I ordered just after Christmas was arriving in a day or two.

Then I ordered a couple of things on 1 January. They were in stock and ready for next day delivery but when I said deliver to Ireland I was told they would arrive on 12 January. The items were dispatched on 4 Jan. and "cleared customs" on 5 Jan. . Then nothing although the message switched to "arriving tomorrow by 9 pm", then "arriving today by 9 pm." but the items were not "out for delivery".

Now I get this

I'm not expecting anything will turn up tomorrow or the day after, so I will get a stupid refund.:mad:

I have a couple of other items in my basket and when I give an address in England, I'm promised delivery by 14 January. When I switch to my Irish address, delivery isn't until 26 January. Still cheaper than Amazon.de and same delay.

Amazon seem to have sorted most of their Brexit problems. I ordered a couple of things on Saturday, delivery was estimated for next Friday but, hey presto, they were delivered in good order this morning. Not quite the speed I was getting before Brexit but good enough to forget about Amazon.de, not to mention Article 16 and Larne loyalists :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I am ordering more than every from Amazon, have a prime membership so I get deliveries now 7 days a week when compared to 5 days. Quicker now with depot in Dublin. Plus if I keep under the clip I get more off them. Couple of Hue bulbs the other day for 15 pound compared to the normally 22 pound is just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

I was going to order from sportsdirect.ie but not sure if I will be hit with vat when order arrives?

I couldn't see anything on their website, bas anyone ordered from them recently and had any issue's?

Thanks 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

I was going to order from sportsdirect.ie but not sure if I will be hit with vat when order arrives?

I couldn't see anything on their website, bas anyone ordered from them recently and had any issue's?

Thanks ��

Anyone figure out yet if sportsdirect orders get hit with taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have stopped buying anything from the UK until we find out what happens.
    Prior customer (regularly) of amazon and parcel motel

I've switched to the English language version of Amazon Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

fuse wrote: »
    Anyone figure out yet if sportsdirect orders get hit with taxes?

Just order from the ireland version and it won’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

francois wrote: »
    I've switched to the English language version of Amazon Germany

I still use Amazon UK, anything under 20 pounds is cheaper as no tax at all, anything over and they do the import taxes etc so no issue once you order from Amazon as the delivery company

Did buy some stuff from Germany/France etc but I also do anyway, just renewed my prime with uk...no reason to swap it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wonder how the NHS are getting on with their extra £350 million per week?

Well their vaccine rollout seems to be going well (:D) so I'd say the £350 milllion couldn't have come at a beter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Bloody import duties and longer to wait for our parcels to be delivered from across the water :(

Advertisement