Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treadle feeder for Chickens

• 10-01-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a treadle feeder?

The bee's knees seem's to be that Grandpa one but it's pricy, are the normal metal + green plastic (not sure if I can link) feeders any use?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The Feedomatic ones, is it? We have 3 of them here. Bought them about 4 years ago, and still working perfectly! The treadle is adjustable so that you can set it to stop crows and rats activating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

DBB wrote: »
    The Feedomatic ones, is it? We have 3 of them here. Bought them about 4 years ago, and still working perfectly! The treadle is adjustable so that you can set it to stop crows and rats activating it.

Yep, that's the one. Not sure if it's an official brand I'm buying, but looks the same as them.

Good to know thanks, I'll get one so!

Meant to ask you DBB, to the hens need direct sunlight? Only got mine a few months ago, can send a picture - they have a decent enough space (I think) but are not getting direct sunlight in the winter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't know! I don't think they need it from a biochemical point of view, but they certainly enjoy it, especially when they can get it at this time of year! I think a bit of gentle warmth is fine, in the absence of direct sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

DBB wrote: »
    I don't know! I don't think they need it from a biochemical point of view, but they certainly enjoy it, especially when they can get it at this time of year! I think a bit of gentle warmth is fine, in the absence of direct sunlight.

That's what I was afraid of... will see how it works out. Although I think now, need to lock them up in the run for the next few weeks due to avian flu.

Advertisement