Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Without A SIM?

Options
  • 10-01-2021 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance ~ I really Am this clueless! :o

I have a Doro 'PhoneEasy' here. I bought it in X Shop and they put their sim in it. I never used the phone. They killed their sim. End of.

I now want to give it (The phone) to someone and have advised they get a sim from Y.

My question is: Will they be able to put a sim, from Y, in this phone and carry on ~ Obviously, once they've called Y and had the sim activated?

Sorry. It's all this Locked / Unlocked. 'PUK Code' stuff I hear about. The PhoneEasy isn't exactly marketed for nerds, after all.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The PhoneEasy is a "Landline" phone. I think you mean one of their mobiles.

Not naming the shop isnt helpful. If it was Argos/Amazon etc the phone would come unlocked. If it were Tesco say then it *may* be locked. You need to try with another networks SIM to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

Sorry, Ed E. I was uncertain about treading on toes. It was a major network suppliers store front. The V word.

And, yes, it's a bog basic mobile. I think it's this one:

https://www.doro.com/en-ie/shop/mobile-devices/easy-phones/doro-2404/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

when you say they killed their sim, did you use the phone ?
    did you make calls and texts ?

if you didn't use it and wish to pass the phone on to someone, they may need to get a sim from X shop (assuming X-shop is the name of a mobile phone network).

if someone gets a sim from "Y" it may not work.

when you say they killed their sim, did you use the phone ? did you make calls and texts ?
    Stigura wrote: »
    I have a Doro 'PhoneEasy' here. I bought it in X Shop and they put their sim in it. I never used the phone. They killed their sim. End of.

Hell. This is Exactly what I wasn't hoping to hear! :(

No. It's precisely Because I never used the phone ~ I got it as a distress beacon thing ~ that they shut my sim down. C***s! :mad: Phone's been in a drawer for years.

Now, I hope to send it to a friend who's in a worse state than me. I just don't want to lumber him with a load of drama over getting it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Stigura wrote:
    Now, I hope to send it to a friend who's in a worse state than me. I just don't want to lumber him with a load of drama over getting it to work.

The phone is probably locked to the network of the original sim. A new sim from the same network should work fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Gooser.

So, all things considered ..... Hammer Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Post mobile SIM might work in a Vodafone locked phone.

Put in a non Vodafone SIM in it and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

No. It's precisely Because I never used the phone ~ I got it as a distress beacon thing ~ that they shut my sim down. C***s! :mad: Phone's been in a drawer for years.

You can't leave the phone/SIM inactive for that long and expect it to work when you want.
    Same for the new user.

You will have to top up the credit on VF every 6 months if you want the SIM available in any emergency.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Post mobile SIM might work in a Vodafone locked phone.

Put in a non Vodafone SIM in it and see if it works.

Thing is, Ten Pin; I haven't got a 'NV' sim available. (Iron is; My own user phone, is stuck on V!)

And, I just don't want to send my mate a shed ton of stress.

I was Hoping I could just send him this phone, and he ask 3 for one of their sim cards. Job done.

At this rate, I'll just take a lump hammer to the V Cursed phone and buy him a new Doro from 3. Simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Apologies, the logic behind me asking was so I could figure out if the sim was active or not, I would have given the same response as gooser14 .

All you need to do is get your friend to get a new sim from Vodafone and they need to top it up with credit .

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You can't leave the phone/SIM inactive for that long and expect it to work when you want.

Phone / sim was only left unused for a few months, as I recall. No one ever told me ye had to use things.

I had / have a 'normal' android, see? Only, this little Doro thing has a system where by, if ye break a leg in a ditch somewhere? Press a big button and it starts texting ye mates to tell them ye need help.

I got it on the basis that it's be fantastic if I ever had a stroke. Imagine that? Trying to see and press, at least, a few buttons, to call One person and make a slurred noise at them.

This baby? Push that one, big button? It automatically sends out a pre programmed APB! Fantastic little bit of kit. Just Vodafone got in there and f**ked it from the start. I loathe them with every fibre of my existence.

Tons more reasons for loathing them too. Let's not turn this into a thread about them.

Apologies ...

No need, my friend :) But, I'd Still sooner take a lump hammer to the thing and buy my boss a new one, from 3, than ever again ~ in any way, shape or form ~ entertain Vf.

That hard won view is Not up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

TBH Vodafone will have better coverage on a 2G phone than the 3 network. In case of emergencies, it would be a better network to use.

Post mobile SIM is an option. It hopefully will work in the phone and has same coverage as VF but wouldn't be giving VF any custom.

The other option is Eir but their top up interval requirement is shorter than Vodafone.

Check the battery, they deteriorate when stored unused for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Stigura wrote:
    So, all things considered ..... Hammer Time!

Why destroy a good phone. Sell it to a phone shop. Those DoroEasy phones have a very good FM Radio. I use an old one myself for listening to the radio when cutting the lawn etc.

Advertisement