Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

MN_Medic wrote: »
    Shift patterns can vary across the country. Shifts can be 8/9/10/11/12 hours long and have varying start and finishing times.

Most stations have a 12 hour shift pattern that starts at 7 and/or 8. Others start at 9/10/11/12 and might be 12 hours. Usually the later the day shift start time the shorter the shift.

Whichever shift pattern a station uses the working hours add up to 156 hours over a 4 week period.

So would that usually add up to week one being 4 shifts then 3, 3 &3? I’m assuming you can add in your overtime between these. Also is there always a run over at the end of each shift? I did see someone say you never finish in time in this job!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Medt123

Has anyone any information on accommodation in Tallaght? And does anyone know like roughly the time table when we will be in college or on placement etc?

Medt123 wrote: »
    Has anyone any information on accommodation in Tallaght? And does anyone know like roughly the time table when we will be in college or on placement etc?

As far as I know it’s Monday to Friday 9-5. I think you’re in the college for about 5 months and then out on placement

Medt123 wrote: »

I’d say there’s plenty of rooms to rent in private houses if you don’t mind that. Otherwise I’d say there’s a few houses for rent if you could get a few together to help with the cost. Maybe have a look on Daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Medt123

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    I’d say there’s plenty of rooms to rent in private houses if you don’t mind that. Otherwise I’d say there’s a few houses for rent if you could get a few together to help with the cost. Maybe have a look on Daft.ie

Yeah, I’m happy to consider sharing a house with anyone that is looking for September in tallaght..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

For anyone who's going to Tallaght in September.... Have any of received formal acknowledgement of your acceptance?

JBB2020 wrote: »
    For anyone who's going to Tallaght in September.... Have any of received formal acknowledgement of your acceptance?

No, nothing as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

So odd that Tullamore have and Tallagaht hasn't. Especially since ye start before us!

Hi All,

I’ve decided to pull out of the process. Wasn’t an easy decision BUT I found out today that when you’re on you’re placement in year two you can be placed anywhere in the country for quite a while. In some cases I heard today that it can be months at the earliest before you might get back to your own region. Unfortunately as much as I wanted the job and was willing to sacrifice some time with my family to take on the role and obviously take on 12 hour shifts I wouldn’t be willing or be able to be away from them for months and not have an actual end date.

I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck in your career and I hope it’s everything you all wished for.

Take care and be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

Hi All,

I’ve decided to pull out of the process. Wasn’t an easy decision BUT I found out today that when you’re on you’re placement in year two you can be placed anywhere in the country for quite a while. In some cases I heard today that it can be months at the earliest before you might get back to your own region. Unfortunately as much as I wanted the job and was willing to sacrifice some time with my family to take on the role and obviously take on 12 hour shifts I wouldn’t be willing or be able to be away from them for months and not have an actual end date.

I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck in your career and I hope it’s everything you all wished for.

Take care and be safe

It's a bit like the guards in that regards. i.e people from Donegal getting stationed in Dublin and vice versa. But there is also a chance you'll only be stationed 1 county away or even be stationed in your home county depending on demand.

A lot of the time the shift pattern will be 3-4 days away from home, then 3-4 days back home allowing you to see family.

I wouldn't be formally pulling out just yet. Stay on the panel and think it through. But the course is a big commitment regardless. The first 3 months in the college you may as well put all your plans on hold as it's so intense.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Take care and be safe

I'm very sorry to hear that!! I'm fearful of what you are saying but I am going to continue with the hope that I'll be posted within my region.

It's a difficult choice you have made. I wish you all the best!

I'm very sorry to hear that!! I'm fearful of what you are saying but I am going to continue with the hope that I'll be posted within my region.

It's a difficult choice you have made. I wish you all the best!
    Thanks very much and I hope you get posted in your region. Just don’t want to throw the dice when I have a young family.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

So would that usually add up to week one being 4 shifts then 3, 3 &3? I’m assuming you can add in your overtime between these. Also is there always a run over at the end of each shift? I did see someone say you never finish in time in this job!

If you're doing 12 hour shifts you have to do 13 in a four week period. They can vary but 4/3/3/3 or 4/2/4/3 etc and any variation around that could be the norm. It can be difficult to get finished on time particularly on day shifts. Overtime is available to work on your days off.

Hi All,

Take care and be safe

The possibility of what you're saying exists, however, most people get to their home region or area allot more quickly now than before. What region are you from?

The possibility of what you're saying exists, however, most people get to their home region or area allot more quickly now than before. What region are you from?

Based in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

A monthly shift is always calculated to be 156 hours. This is a predictable 156, and overtime / run-on doesn't count for this number. 156 is 39 * 4. But that doesn't mean you get 39 per week. Some weeks will be longer / shorter than others. Some weeks you will work 2 shifts , sometimes 3, sometimes 4. The pattern depends on the station.
    If you are rostered for shifts totaling more than 156, the additional bit is automatically paid as overtime. If your station has a few 9 hour shifts thrown in, it can happen. If you are relief , do keep track of your hours. If you are on a roster (following a line), you will get 156 in a month, but as relief you will fill in for people when they are on hols or sick, so getting an exact 156 in 4 weeks might not happen without your manager / team leader making it happen. But thats their headache.

If you are scheduled to finish a shift at 8 o'clock (for eg), but you are with a pt, and don't finish until 10, then those 2 hours are automatically overtime, but don't count towards your 156 tally.

Based in Dublin.

Is very likely that you would remain in Dublin or the surrounding area then. Another thing, under the working time act everyone is entitled to 11 hours rest between shifts. So if your 12 hour shift runs over to 15 hours for example you do not have to start the next day until you're had 11 hours rest. So if you're working 7-7 shift and you do 7-10. You dont start work the next day until 9.

Is very likely that you would remain in Dublin or the surrounding area then. Another thing, under the working time act everyone is entitled to 11 hours rest between shifts. So if your 12 hour shift runs over to 15 hours for example you do not have to start the next day until you're had 11 hours rest. So if you're working 7-7 shift and you do 7-10. You dont start work the next day until 9.

Thanks for the information. I was speaking to a few Paramedics and they were based outside of their regions for up to 5 months. It might be the case that some will be based outside their regions and others may not but I can’t afford to roll the dice on that one unfortunately due to family commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

The importance of doing your homework before applying

I'm sure he did do his homework!! I don't think anyone goes into this lightly.

From paramedics I've spoken to, the posting outside your region is a possibility, and in days gone, may have been quite likely; but my understanding is that now they try to accommodate placement in your region but they can not guarantee that obviously!!

• Advertisement

The importance of doing your homework before applying

Of course I did my homework before I applied!! I don’t think anyone that applies for any role in the emergency services doesn’t do their homework. Maybe it should be called out a bit more or made EXTREMELY clear to all when applying and not hiding it away in documents and wordings. Not sure about you but I have young family and a very well paid job and to take this role took a lot of consideration and with the support of my wife we decided we could do it. I was willing to sacrifice time with them by doing 12 hour shifts, weekends and BH, not being rostered for years BUT when you have a family they must come first and to be away on internship for months on end isn’t feasible for some. For those of whom it does suit it’ll be a great job and best of luck to all.

Knocking into your local station and asking is one sure fire way. I thought it was universally known. They do call it the national ambulance service after all. Not the kildare/ meath service etc

Knocking into your local station and asking is one sure fire way. I thought it was universally known. They do call it the national ambulance service after all. Not the kildare/ meath service etc

It must be great to know everything! I don’t know if you’re awaiting to take up your place or you’re already in but I hope you don’t take that smart arse attitude to work with you every day as you’ll be found out quick enough. To your point about it being a national service, well talk about stating the obvious! What’s not obvious is where you might be placed and for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

Well, just remember that you wont be away on your internship for months at a time. You'll be away for days at a time and then be able to come home on your days or week off at worst.

I know Dublin interns with kids and newborns that commute every day 3 counties over, takes some of them 90 mins door to door which is really not ideal after a 14 hour shift but that's the sacrifice some of them make.
    You may not be placed in Donegal, you might be placed in Kildare, wicklow, meath etc.

And for the first year you'll be stationed at home.

Keep your opportunities open and think about it. Best of luck.

It must be great to know everything! I don’t know if you’re awaiting to take up your place or you’re already in but I hope you don’t take that smart arse attitude to work with you every day as you’ll be found out quick enough. To your point about it being a national service, well talk about stating the obvious! What’s not obvious is where you might be placed and for how long.

Don't get annoyed at what some random person on the internet says, life goes on.

For anyone looking to get ahead studying, the phecc education and training standards are what the entire course is based on. Found here: https://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/Career%20and%20Education/Education%20Standards/STN015%20-Paramedic%20Education%20and%20Training%20Standard-V1.pdf

Some fantastic resources on youtube: Dr John Campbell (skip his current covid vids, his anatomy and physiology stuff is very well explained) Osmosis, Khan Academy medical.

https://litfl.com/ life in the fast lane
    one of the best ecg resources around, will cover all the basics and go as far down the rabbit hole as you need. (Click top rhs corner and I recommend the top 100 section and ecg library)

Some podcasts for the car or your cycle: The resus room (the roadside to resus and papers of the month podcasts are very good)
    Phemcast is very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

Would you recommend reading up on ECG's or anything?

Shau_98 wrote: »
    Would you recommend reading up on ECG's or anything?

At this point no... learn anatomy and physiology first(of the heart) so you understand how the plumbing works, next learn the electrical pathways of the heart then start with ecg basics.

My favorite youtube channel for study is Dr John Campbell: https://youtu.be/VWamhZ8vTL4
    Part 1 of the cardiovascular system.

Has anyone heard anything back from pre-employment clearance?

It seems to be taking forever! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AGN2020

Has anyone heard anything back from pre-employment clearance?

It seems to be taking forever! :(

Would say it has to do with the ransomware attack - no access for HSE staff to their emails

• Advertisement

AGN2020 wrote: »
    Would say it has to do with the ransomware attack - no access for HSE staff to their emails

That's what I was thinking!! We may just sit tight so!
    Thanks.

Advertisement