Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about course condition

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

In fairness to the club I feel I have to chip in here. They sent an email to members on 6th January explaining their concerns about the financial state of play in the club and the plans to address it, which included (as expressed in the email)....
    Retaining staff in employment albeit on shorter hours
    Applying for all available State supports and grants
    Introducing a loyalty offer for existing members

The loyalty offer involves a membership fee discount of 7.8% for members who pay up by end Jan (equates to €100 off 7 day sub I think), plus some discounting on lessons and food in the bar/restaurant when the club reopens. I'd say they're anxious to get subs in. A lot of recent members may be hesitating to fork up for a hobby that they can't currently play, and may be considering their options, so the loyalty reduction is well pitched, i.m.o.

OP, you may have missed that email and may have only one view of what's going on.....

I'm recently joined member - took the plunge during Covid once things open up. Really enjoyed it for the few months it was open. Usually those holes by the gate were not in use, and it not as much of struggle without them (hill wise). It's an interesting, varied course, with great greens and some great views. A enjoyable place to be. I'm aware of some of the rumblings about the AGM etc, but I'm not in the club long enough to be tuned in to the politics or relationships. On the playing front, the members are generally dead sound and down to earth.
    I'm sorry to hear about the ground staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In fairness to the club I feel I have to chip in here. They sent an email to members on 6th January explaining their concerns about the financial state of play in the club and the plans to address it, which included (as expressed in the email)....
    Retaining staff in employment albeit on shorter hours
    Applying for all available State supports and grants
    Introducing a loyalty offer for existing members

The loyalty offer involves a membership fee discount of 7.8% for members who pay up by end Jan (equates to €100 off 7 day sub I think), plus some discounting on lessons and food in the bar/restaurant when the club reopens. I'd say they're anxious to get subs in. A lot of recent members may be hesitating to fork up for a hobby that they can't currently play, and may be considering their options, so the loyalty reduction is well pitched, i.m.o.

OP, you may have missed that email and may have only one view of what's going on.....

I'm recently joined member - took the plunge during Covid once things open up. Really enjoyed it for the few months it was open. Usually those holes by the gate were not in use, and it not as much of struggle without them (hill wise). It's an interesting, varied course, with great greens and some great views. A enjoyable place to be. I'm aware of some of the rumblings about the AGM etc, but I'm not in the club long enough to be tuned in to the politics or relationships. On the playing front, the members are generally dead sound and down to earth.
    I'm sorry to hear about the ground staff though.

I just checked and I got this email too, not sure how I missed it on the 6th. It all makes more sense now, just hope the grounds keeping staff are able to avail of some sort of state support like they said in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tracker_1

Good morning,

You're right.. That email sneaked in there but I still feel the waters are muddied. They should send an undated email stating that the grounds staff are on one day per week and the administration staff are on a three day week. Tell the members that the staff have received no help regarding subsidy schemes from the club. The staff have been told to organise themselves with job seekers allowance ,which according to a post earlier, from the poster 1in7 is 40 euro a day. Keep in mind that the club have outside contractors up there this week cutting trees around the carpark at a cost, I believe ,to be a substantial five figure sum!!

We have a new Chairman ,only in the position ,literally a week wet! I know he's been contacted in relation to this but he's gone into hiding. There's one of two things here, 1. He's complicit in this drastic action which is shameful for a Chairman just new to the role to do. Or 2. He doesn't have much of a voice and the committee aren't listening to him, which is telling in itself! When I worked ,many moons ago, if the person at the head of the board table spoke or gave direction, everyone listened and took it on board.

The email that was sent on Jan 6th, sounds to me that the mantra amongst committee is "subs will be reduced (members will be happy) but the condition of the course and admin will be reduced (members not happy). That's what I take from that. Let them be honest and put the facts to the members. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the members will not want a reduced staff which will make the course and club go into reverse from where we are!
    Speaking to colleagues attached to other clubs ,they tell me they get updates with what's happening on their courses two or three times a week via social media platforms . I'm not literate when it comes to twitter, but I went into it, fascinating stuff.. Clubs putting up projects or enhancements to greens and tees. I'm on Facebook and I scrolled around different clubs. Its the same updating members on progress.. Now, do the same with my club and there is the difference .Nothing to show.
    I'm dubious with the thought that members are not paying their subs. Maybe the new members that joined in the last few months but ,on a whole, there is not a lot of turnover at my club. As you say the majority of folk we play with are good craic ,easy going and its fun to play golf when the company is good . That's why the committee should email us all an update on what exactly the "shorter hours" are. I personally don't want to save 100 euro this year if it means the golf course regresses.. Tell the members what exactly what the committee are doing in way of "applying for all state supports and grants".
    I'm led to believe that the last time the greens were cut was last week sometime. Disgraceful when I'm ,and many more, are paying full subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tracker_1 wrote: »
    I'm led to believe that the last time the greens were cut was last week sometime. Disgraceful when I'm ,and many more, are paying full subs!

But as long as they are in the expected condition when golf returns, whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GreeBo wrote: »
    But as long as they are in the expected condition when golf returns, whats the issue?

A friend has lost out, he is going to back down

Everybody initially looks at a problem from their perspective, only some people are clever enough to step back and look at the bigger picture. His last message I read ignored everything mentioned about subsidies and said that his friend was forced onto jobseekers when he was told that any person can apply for COVID.

Probably time to stop feeding the troll

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »

How can they be in the expected condition when golf returns? There is nobody working on them at the minute, no one working on tees, nobody cleaning out the sludge and silt from the lakes. That happens every winter in my time up there. So how can you say the course wont suffer?
    I'm not sure where you play your golf Greenbo, but are the staff at your course working on it every day ? If you tell me that your staff are on a one day week and the course is always in great condition, well and good, but that's not what I'm hearing . What I'm hearing is golf courses around Dublin are being maintain on a full time basis.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    A friend has lost out, he is going to back down

Everybody initially looks at a problem from their perspective, only some people are clever enough to step back and look at the bigger picture. His last message I read ignored everything mentioned about subsidies and said that his friend was forced onto jobseekers when he was told that any person can apply for COVID.

Probably time to stop feeding the troll

I'm not quite sure what you are saying to be honest. I'm just being open and honest here. To clarify, none of the staff have been given government supports other than being told to contact your local welfare office and claim four days jobseekers allowance. They cant apply for Covid as the club still expects them to work either one day or three days per week.

I don't understand your last comment but I feel its a sly dig.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

We have a new Chairman ,only in the position ,literally a week wet! I know he's been contacted in relation to this but he's gone into hiding.

Maybe its worth your while checking your clubs rules or articles of association in relation to who has the power to make decisions as certain decisions may need more than just a sub committee to be carried out. Certainly there seems to be a lack of clear communication and I would imagine you have the right to ask to see the minutes of meetings as a full member of the club.

All golf clubs have differences of opinions when it comes to decision making and once a clear line of the decision making process has been established, it often becomes obvious to the majority as to why certain decisions were made. Hopefully you can get some answers that allows you to feel the situation can be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Good morning,

You're right.. That email sneaked in there but I still feel the waters are muddied. They should send an undated email stating that the grounds staff are on one day per week and the administration staff are on a three day week. Tell the members that the staff have received no help regarding subsidy schemes from the club. The staff have been told to organise themselves with job seekers allowance ,which according to a post earlier, from the poster 1in7 is 40 euro a day. Keep in mind that the club have outside contractors up there this week cutting trees around the carpark at a cost, I believe ,to be a substantial five figure sum!!

We have a new Chairman ,only in the position ,literally a week wet! I know he's been contacted in relation to this but he's gone into hiding. There's one of two things here, 1. He's complicit in this drastic action which is shameful for a Chairman just new to the role to do. Or 2. He doesn't have much of a voice and the committee aren't listening to him, which is telling in itself! When I worked ,many moons ago, if the person at the head of the board table spoke or gave direction, everyone listened and took it on board.

The email that was sent on Jan 6th, sounds to me that the mantra amongst committee is "subs will be reduced (members will be happy) but the condition of the course and admin will be reduced (members not happy). That's what I take from that. Let them be honest and put the facts to the members. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the members will not want a reduced staff which will make the course and club go into reverse from where we are!
    Speaking to colleagues attached to other clubs ,they tell me they get updates with what's happening on their courses two or three times a week via social media platforms . I'm not literate when it comes to twitter, but I went into it, fascinating stuff.. Clubs putting up projects or enhancements to greens and tees. I'm on Facebook and I scrolled around different clubs. Its the same updating members on progress.. Now, do the same with my club and there is the difference .Nothing to show.
    I'm dubious with the thought that members are not paying their subs. Maybe the new members that joined in the last few months but ,on a whole, there is not a lot of turnover at my club. As you say the majority of folk we play with are good craic ,easy going and its fun to play golf when the company is good . That's why the committee should email us all an update on what exactly the "shorter hours" are. I personally don't want to save 100 euro this year if it means the golf course regresses.. Tell the members what exactly what the committee are doing in way of "applying for all state supports and grants".

That's not what a chairman's role is. They just facilitate the decision making by the committee (regardless if they have a vote or not) and not the sole decision maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 No9Fasthebash

I'm not sure your fellow members would be overly enthralled with you continuing to disclose club information.

I speak as one of them.

It's not very smart.

Also, the way in which you have publicly targeted a couple of individuals isn't very big or brave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

An awful whinge of a thread. Thread title a bit misleading too.

Maybe the OP should look to join a different club if so annoyed.

PS I would imagine with the govt restrictions are eased, staff will find hours increased.

Nobody is winning in a pandemic. Combatting C19 is probably more a world concern than the length of grass right now

Happy4all wrote: »
    An awful whinge of a thread. Thread title a bit misleading too.

Maybe the OP should look to join a different club if so annoyed.

PS I would imagine with the govt restrictions are eased, staff will find hours increased.

Nobody is winning in a pandemic. Combatting C19 is probably more a world concern than the length of grass right now

I'm not sure how the title can be misleading ? I'm genuinely concerned about the state my course will be in when we get back playing. You will find that your grounds staff will be working fulltime at the minute ,whereas at my course its reduced to 20%. The course has to be taking a hit in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Tracker_1 you seem to be a very decent chap, who has genuine concern for your Club and course staff, You asked if anyone knew any other courses, Which reduced course staff hours to a day a week?.I don’t believe anyone has stated in the thread, of another club. Unfortunately you will just have to let it play out and voice your disapproval to the committee when golf is allowed back. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

A number of accusations have been made against certain individuals even though it now seems that you weren't aware of the full facts when posting.
    You complain about not receiving enough communication from the club,yet you failed to read an email sent by the club on Jan.6th.

I think your latest accusation against the chairman is very concerning. You accuse him of being complicit with others. Complicit means he's involved with others in an unlawful activity. Pretty serious stuff. I hope you can back it up.

Hi, I didn't accuse him of anything .I questioned if he has a voice. It was pointed out to me that he is there not in a capacity to have the final say or overrule a committee decision. I acknowledged that.

I believe in the post above you from 1in7 and he's right in what he says. I will wait until golf is back and arrange a discussion .My only reason for coming in here was to see if other courses were doing similar. I have my answer . I hope the course is in great condition when we resume and I'll have no problem in coming back here ,hopefully to tell you my worries were unfounded. Thank you and goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 6timesbaby!

Welcome to Boards.

Please familiarise yourself with basic rules, there is no freedom of speech, we do not allow personal abuse here.

Post within guidelines please

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I think enough has been posted on this thread. It is a really bad image for the golf club in question. Very Newly signed up boards members with one post telling fellow members that have grievances to leave the club . The golf threads on boards are always fairly amicable with helpful comments from the likes of Seve OB, Golfgraffix and Greenbo to name but a few. It seems clear that the club seems to have divisions in it according to this thread and it won't help entice new members to witness inhouse fighting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm locking this thread, long time since I've seen so many new members posting and the thread has derailed in any case.
    If this is still a viable topic feel free to start a new thread with posting guidelines this time.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement