Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Query

Options
  • 11-01-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, 

I bought a house recently that had a Yale wireless alarm fitted. I am looking to change the windows in the house and need to take down the sensors and reinstall them. I understand that the PSA allows a home owner to install their own alarm but don't want to void my house insurance. If this is correct I can take down and reinstall the sensors myself without voiding my house insurance. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi, 

I bought a house recently that had a Yale wireless alarm fitted. I am looking to change the windows in the house and need to take down the sensors and reinstall them. I understand that the PSA allows a home owner to install their own alarm but don't want to void my house insurance. If this is correct I can take down and reinstall the sensors myself without voiding my house insurance. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

Thanks

That system is a DIY alarm.

As a home owner you can install and service your own alarm system.
    You need to confirm this with your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 notepads

I heard by ticking you have a house alarm you only get a very small discount, might be better off saying you don't have a PSA installed alarm, if you were ever to forget to set alarm they might not pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

notepads wrote: »
    I heard by ticking you have a house alarm you only get a very small discount, might be better off saying you don't have a PSA installed alarm, if you were ever to forget to set alarm they might not pay out.

It is a small deduction they give for standard standalone house alarm.
    A monitored alarm will get a bigger deduction.

In all cases id advise asking insurance company where you stand with it on or off the policy.

Advertisement