Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving without effecting current mortgage?

Options
  • 11-01-2021 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade. Bought in 2005 and €145K left on Mortgage.

The house I'm looking at would only require finance of about €45k. I'm thinking of just taking a personal loan from the Credit Union. Would this allow me to stay on the tracker mortgage I'm currently on with ICS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure a mortgage is specifically against an existing property and not a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The mortgage you have is on the particular property that's mortgaged. It's not just a loan of money, it's a loan of money based on the value of a specific property.

I'm no expert, but AFAIK you'd have to clear the mortgage you have on your current property, and take out a new one on the new property.

Whether or not you'd be able to negotiate a similar tracker rate on the new property, I have no idea, but I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Thanks Heidi, that's what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The mortgage you have is on the particular property that's mortgaged. It's not just a loan of money, it's a loan of money based on the value of a specific property.

I'm no expert, but AFAIK you'd have to clear the mortgage you have on your current property, and take out a new one on the new property.

Whether or not you'd be able to negotiate a similar tracker rate on the new property, I have no idea, but I seriously doubt it.

Some banks (I know PTSB does for instance) have a tracker portability product. Essentially you keep a tracker (at a higher rate) for the existing amount and the rest is at current market rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Dodge wrote: »
    Some banks (I know PTSB does for instance) have a tracker portability product. Essentially you keep a tracker (at a higher rate) for the existing amount and the rest is at current market rates.
    It seems my provider, BOI, do this too. Existing rate plus 1% as long as you are not extending the term of the mortgage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement