Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's PC World - Can't Get Anybody on Phone

Options
  • 11-01-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I just had a fridge delivered today from Currys. The guys delivering it told me to wait 4 hours before plugging in.

I did. When I plugged it in, a very loud buzzing noise, sounds like compressor is broken. Tried calling Curry's, I keep getting redirected to the UK. First it was to a repair company who gave me a code number for a replacement and told me I'd need to call Curry's myself and sort it with the code they'd given me... and then gave me the same number I'd just dialled originally.

I called again, patched through to some person in the UK who started talking to me about microwaves and washing machines and it took me about 5 minutes to explain to her I was calling about a fridge I received today. She eventually said she'd transfer me through to somebody and it just rang out.

I've tried many of the options on their phone number, it's all automated.

I've now got no fridge as they took the old one away! I've a lot of food going to spoil here and I can't contact them.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I got somebody in the UK. They said they can't offer a replacement as that fridge type is no longer in stock. I said I wanted a refund. Told me that they'll need to manually input a request for a collection, as they can't process a new collection on the same day a delivery was made on their systems and it'll take a few days before I get a notification about this.

Meanwhile I now need to try go and buy a new fridge and hope it delivers very fast, or i've no fridge for however long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

Report them to these guys. I have a case open with them ré. Curry's. The more attention drawn to their breaches of the law the better.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/business/help-for-business/consumer-protection-law-how-does-it-apply-to-my-business/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Peppa wrote: »
    Report them to these guys. I have a case open with them ré. Curry's. The more attention drawn to their breaches of the law the better.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/business/help-for-business/consumer-protection-law-how-does-it-apply-to-my-business/

What is the breach of the law here?

More info here......... looks like breach of Sale of goods Act 1980 but they can advise. I am no legal eagle just another dissatisfied customer.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

More info here......... looks like breach of Sale of goods Act 1980 but they can advise. I am no legal eagle just another dissatisfied customer.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html#

Where is the breach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

have you thought of emailing them?

One click on a recent order and I get this

Email us
    To enable us to answer your query as quickly as possible, please provide your name, and phone number along with any other relevant information such as your order/receipt number, store location or other purchase details . Without this information, our customer care team will be unable to find your order on our systems and as a result will be unable to solve your queryIf you need to get in contact with our customer care team please email customer.services@currys.ie .

In my humble opinion from the post it would fall under "faulty and not fit for purpose" but like I advised the CCPC are best to contact for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

In my humble opinion from the post it would fall under "faulty and not fit for purpose" but like I advised the CCPC are best to contact for advice.

I doubt Currys intentionally sold him a defective product, and as they are dealing with the request/refund there's no breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I got somebody in the UK. They said they can't offer a replacement as that fridge type is no longer in stock. I said I wanted a refund. Told me that they'll need to manually input a request for a collection, as they can't process a new collection on the same day a delivery was made on their systems and it'll take a few days before I get a notification about this.

Meanwhile I now need to try go and buy a new fridge and hope it delivers very fast, or i've no fridge for however long it takes.

Currys were delivering a fridge to me. After a week of waiting with no fridge, they dropped it on the way in and broke it, and said it would be another week before they could get another one. Power City had one out the next day.

Are you claiming they did this intentionally?

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    have you thought of emailing them?

Yes, e-mail sent last evening. However from experience e-mail is a much slower way of resolving these types of issues than a phonecall. And considering it's an appliance I need in the household asap, I'm looking to get it sorted asap.
    Currys were delivering a fridge to me. After a week of waiting with no fridge, they dropped it on the way in and broke it, and said it would be another week before they could get another one. Power City had one out the next day.

Not sure PowerCity deliver outside of Dublin? I'm in Limerick.

Dav010 wrote: »

I know you weren't directing this towards me, but I don't believe it was intentional for a minute. These things happen, I understand that. I'm just a little frustrated trying to contact somebody to resolve it is all. If I was told on the phone it'll be sorted within a week then I'd at least know it was being processed and dealt with.

I know you weren't directing this towards me, but I don't believe it was intentional for a minute. These things happen, I understand that. I'm just a little frustrated trying to contact somebody to resolve it is all. If I was told on the phone it'll be sorted within a week then I'd at least know it was being processed and dealt with.

Sorry, no, question for the poster saying retailer broke the law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes, e-mail sent last evening. However from experience e-mail is a much slower way of resolving these types of issues than a phonecall. And considering it's an appliance I need in the household asap, I'm looking to get it sorted asap.

Not sure PowerCity deliver outside of Dublin? I'm in Limerick.

We got the kitchen fitted out recently, and the local Expert electrical couldn't be beaten on price. Quick delivery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I bought something off them last November and when it arrived it was broken. Still haven't gotten a replacement or a refund. Its been an absolute nightmare trying to get in touch with anyone.

They make Eir look professional.

I implied nothing but merely advised poster from my own personal experience. I assumed that this was allowed on this forum however if not then I apologise if I have offended or broken the rules. I will refrain from posting any advice here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Definitely Local is better in these times, but sometimes the specific item can't be sourced locally.

When sending an email, always put the order number have very brief description and you'll find it gets to the right person quickly

eg "Order 123456 - Broken on delivery"

Then keep the email as short as possible.

"Item arrived on xx, waited the required few hours to turn it on. Very loud compressor noise and item not working.

Please arrange for a replacement to be delivered to me at "address"

Kind Regards

me"

No need for anything other than the bare bones and what you'd like done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dav010 wrote: »

Under consumer law, it doesn't matter if the breach was intentional or not. It is the effect of the breach rather than the intention.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Definitely Local is better in these times, but sometimes the specific item can't be sourced locally.

When sending an email, always put the order number have very brief description and you'll find it gets to the right person quickly

eg "Order 123456 - Broken on delivery"

Then keep the email as short as possible.

"Item arrived on xx, waited the required few hours to turn it on. Very loud compressor noise and item not working.

Please arrange for a replacement to be delivered to me at "address"

Kind Regards

me"

No need for anything other than the bare bones and what you'd like done.

Agreed, precisely what I did.
    Order number in subject line, "1234567 - Broken Fridge".

Just to update on this.

It took me about 10 days to actually get somebody who didn't hang up on me or transfer me to an extension that just rang out. I explained the issue. I was told that they could not replace the item as it was the last of it's kind in stock, that I would be refunded. They said the refund could not be processed until the faulty fridge was collected, that somebody would be in touch to sort collection.

It took about another 4 days to try get this sorted between many phonecalls. In the meantime, I went and ordered another fridge somewhere else (Littlewoods...)

I was given a date they were to collect the faulty fridge... they turned up with a replacement fridge. It took so long to get somebody on the phone to begin with we decided we'd keep the replacement fridge because we didn't have the stomach to try chase a refund if we refused delivery of the new fridge. We just knew it wouldn't be straightforward.

So now, I've cancelled the Littlewoods order, seemed straightforward, but waiting for that to be refunded to me now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement