Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who,s responsible?

• 11-01-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

So i have had some issues with my combo box lately(no signal)and got an engineer out and he said there a problem with the fibre cable but he doesnt know where.

I live in a apt complex and its a communal dish and it seems the issue only effects a small amount of homes so im dealing with it alone.

Iv spoken to the management co and they say its not their problem,they say if sky customers have no signal they should ring sky but im not a sky customer so sky wont entertain me.

Now im in a situation where iv no tv signal and management co dont want to know and for me to go private to get it repaired would cost hundreds.

It seems the best solution is to get my own dish installed,which is against complex rules so id get grief of the management co,which i think is unfair as imo its up to them to make sure the communal dish is maintained and there for there would be no need for individual dishes.

Would love to hear peoples opinions/soulutions for this as its doing me head in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a chance that the dish was upgraded at some stage and a wideband lnb was installed perhaps so users could use Sky Q? If this was the case your box would no longer work unless the dish had a hybrid connection you could use for your combo box0. Can you ask those using the service successfully if they have all got Sky Q? If that is the cause you could purchase one of the new Freesat 4K boxes which support wideband LNB, I am unsure if any other models available from other brands would have combo boxes available supporting this.

What might work out better costwise than getting someone to investigate what's wrong would be to sign up for a year to Sky on lowest possible cost package and then cancel at and revert back to your box, again may not work if wideband lnb installed.
    €30 a month for 12 months €360, then cancel.
    https://www.sky.com/ireland/offers

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Is there a chance that the dish was upgraded at some stage and a wideband lnb was installed perhaps so users could use Sky Q? If this was the case your box would no longer work unless the dish had a hybrid connection you could use for your combo box0. Can you ask those using the service successfully if they have all got Sky Q? If that is the cause you could purchase one of the new Freesat 4K boxes which support wideband LNB, I am unsure if any other models available from other brands would have combo boxes available supporting this.

What might work out better costwise than getting someone to investigate what's wrong would be to sign up for a year to Sky on lowest possible cost package and then cancel at and revert back to your box, again may not work if wideband lnb installed.
    €30 a month for 12 months €360, then cancel.
    https://www.sky.com/ireland/offers
    Guy came out today and had a look,hes adamant theres a fault in the fibre optic cable as the signal is weak in a few houses around mine.
    So for now im guessing the dish is fine but the cables damaged,problem is the management co say its not their problem and to get it repaired(the guy said it would be expensive and difficult to find the fault)would be to expensive for me.Hundreds of euro.
    Imo the managmant co should deal with it as its a communal dish but the say because not everyone uses it they wont get involved.

With regards to sky is everything not done through wifi these days?I use sat dish because its free to air tv (no bills)and if i signed up with sky id be paying internet,my internet is a cheap dongle,i live alone so my wifi requirments are minimal so i have the cheapest and guess i would have to upgrade to get sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

ddub11 wrote: »

With regards to sky is everything not done through wifi these days?

No it is done via satellites at 28.2˚E and dishes as it has for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I would think it is the responsibility of the management company.
    Is the satellite part of the original apartment building (i assume it is if there is cable to everyapartment), in that case it should be considered the same as electric gates not working, or lift not working, it is a communal service.
    That said actually convincing them to fix it is could be hard without the support of more people.
    You might get better advice in accommodation and property forum regarding that aspect.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I would think it is the responsibility of the management company.
    Is the satellite part of the original apartment building (i assume it is if there is cable to everyapartment), in that case it should be considered the same as electric gates not working, or lift not working, it is a communal service.
    That said actually convincing them to fix it is could be hard without the support of more people.
    You might get better advice in accommodation and property forum regarding that aspect.
    Dish was installed after the place was finished but all the cables were put in when place was built.

Imo if the management co claim its nothing to do with them because the communal was installed before they took control,then (as its against the rules to have dishes up)they should have insisted on the dishes removal.But they didnt because it was used by people as a communal dish.

So they left it up because it was a communal dish, but on the other hand they are saying if theres issues each individual has to deal with it themselves so suddenly its not communal.

Hope they make sense:) course it dont solve my problem iv still no free to air tv and dont know how im going to get it without forking out hundreds of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The owners are the OMC. If you own that's you. If not it's your landlord. Push the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If I was paying a fee to a management company, and one of the services I had been using failed, then I know to whom I would turn to correct the problem.

If I was paying a fee to a management company, and one of the services I had been using failed, then I know to whom I would turn to correct the problem.
    Ok quick question,i had a guy out yesterday and he says theres a fault in the fibre optic cable.

So as ye can imagine in an apt complex the cables are messy anyway the question is whos responsible for the cables?they were installed when the complex was built,with i guess the idea they would be used for the likes of sat dish etc.

The management co say they are not responsible which imo is horse crap,as far as im concerned once they took over the estate they took over responsibility for the services which include the communal dish.

Ok maybe if the dish had a fault sky would be responsible (as they installed it)but as for the cables which were laid when the complex was built i think the management co are responsible.

I mean do they really expect individual home owners to be ringing private contractors to come in and dig up cables every time theres an issue?it makes no sense to me.

Problem is i dont know who i cant actually make them deal with this aside from telling them if they cant provide a communal dish that works so i can view free to air tv (which i have every rite )rhen i will install my own dish.

Advertisement