Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Walrus

Options

Comments

She does some great cover versions, I originally thought about going with her cover of Summertime Sadness, but thought the keyboard might have made it not-strictly an acoustic performnce.

Haha, I was contemplating it too.

She really does have some brilliant covers. Very talented.

As soon as I saw 'Acoustic' I just immediately went to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh Arghus, they bloody murdered that song :o.

No issues with the original song at all, I actually really like it. But yeah, that wasn't great :D

Give me the Travis version anyday! And Travis bore the arse off me!

The barely achieved high notes at "still believe" crack me up every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Fantastic choice!

Could have put so many goodies here, but this song..

I remember seeing it on MTV & being hooked straight away. Still listen to it so often.

One of my favourite bands. Second only to pearl jam for the best concert I've ever been at

Captured my teenage angst just right back in the day :D

Delighted to see it leading the way too!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,248 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know I can only submit one which I have already but actor Luke Evans is a very good singer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Arghus wrote: »
    Give me the Travis version anyday! And Travis bore the arse off me!

The barely achieved high notes at "still believe" crack me up every time.

Yeah I was laughing myself.
    They were laughing. & their audience was too :D

So I suppose it deserves half a point for the fun factor.

I wonder did they post it as a piss take, because there's no way they could have been serious with it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

My favorite acoustic cover at the moment... just because I find it infectiously happy.
    The Punch Brothers covering The Cars song 'Just what I Needed'..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Eva Cassidy - Songbird (originally by Fleetwood Mac)

She does some great cover versions, I originally thought about going with her cover of Summertime Sadness, but thought the keyboard might have made it not-strictly an acoustic performnce.
    She was singing in a key way above her natural range for years, pushing her voice and that can cause damage.

Now she sings in a lower register that suits her much better, she has quite a deep voice.
    I thought the NIN cover she did on her Black Mirror episode was quite good, it would be cool if she did a rock album

Now she sings in a lower register that suits her much better, she has quite a deep voice.
    I thought the NIN cover she did on her Black Mirror episode was quite good, it would be cool if she did a rock album

I have this song on my playlist and love it, but never took the time to look up the original version until you posted above. Really like the original now & will check them out a bit more too!! :)

(I won't embed because I've already submitted a song, so just a linky poo if anyones interested)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr6qXASQrz4

Haha, I was contemplating it too.

She really does have some brilliant covers. Very talented.

As soon as I saw 'Acoustic' I just immediately went to her.
    Just watched a beautiful version of Wildflowers she did as a tribute to Tom. I was never interested in her pop songs before but she sounds great on the acoustic stuff. I must look up some more of her cover versions.

Just watched a beautiful version of Wildflowers she did as a tribute to Tom. I was never interested in her pop songs before but she sounds great on the acoustic stuff. I must look up some more of her cover versions.

I've just watched a Johnny cash - Hurt by her just now & added that for possible future acoustic subs :P

*I think I'll be bineging on her the rest of the night too

** edit no:3 - how do you even spell 'binge-ing' :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Bit late to the party but I do love this...

Roisin Ó Chandelier

I have this song on my playlist and love it, but never took the time to look up the original version until you posted above. Really like the original now & will check them out a bit more too!! :)
    I've just watched a Johnny cash - Hurt by her just now & added that for possible future acoustic subs :P

Oh & I just realised the Johnny Cash song is actually a cover! Oops never knew that :o

Definitely need to check out Nine Inch Nails now even more so !!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Definitely need to check out Nine Inch Nails now even more so !!!! :P

Was lucky enough to see them live in Marley Park in '07 alongside Foo Fighters... such a great night

Was lucky enough to see them live in Marley Park in '07 alongside Foo Fighters... such a great night

I don't think I've even heard of them before :o

definitely checking them out tomorrow though :) (listening to your one above tonight)

Ha, just realised you were talking about Miley here & not the woman I posted.

Oops, me not paying attention as usual :o

But also I'm a bit of a Miley fan myself. She has a new song out a week ago called 'Angels Like You' & its really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Personally think a cover version is only worthy of mention, if it brings something new to the original... I can't stand facsimile covers. (Sorry whoever mentioned Miley Cyrus cover of Summer time Sadness)

In the cover below, Bruce plays a mean acoustic guitar and harmonica combo, adds an F-bomb which I don't think was in the original lyrics and changes a couple of other words too....and lastly, C'mon its Bruce F-bomb Springsteen !!!

Bruce Springsteen - Royals (Lorde)

Woops, no. Sorry I took the meaning of the category up wrong :o

Really liked that song you posted first..not heard it before.. not sure you took the catagory meaning up wrong.. if Stainds 'Outside' is posted.. as it is an original song...?

*I think I'll be bineging on her the rest of the night too

** edit no:3 - how do you even spell 'binge-ing' :o

By who Miley or Eva?

speckle wrote: »
    Really liked that song you posted first..not heard it before.. not sure you took the catagory meaning up wrong.. if Stainds 'Outside' is posted.. as it is an original song...?
    Ay yea I see now -acoustic cover/version, either or.

You can see the whole concert on YT here. Great show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eF7gywHMxw

Fantastic choice!

Could have put so many goodies here, but this song..

I remember seeing it on MTV & being hooked straight away. Still listen to it so often.

I thought this was an original :o whose song is it, fantastic version

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    By who Miley or Eva?

Sorry Liz I got confused within that conversation & am clearly confusing others too.

No, I was talking about the Violet Orlandi girl doing a cover of the "Hurt" not Miley.

She does a lovely job of the song.

I was listening to her the rest of the night & when I went to look for her singing the "Wildflowers" song that I thought The Purple Tin was talking about, I then realised that he was actually talking about Miley singing that song not Violet Orlandi, doh :pac:

Its actually there own song originally sung without featuring Fred Durst (from Limp Bizkit).

I had known a few of Limp Bizkit's songs but wasn't a huge fan, but I didn't know who Staind were at the time.

Absolutely loved the song and never forgot the name of the band.

While I wouldn't say I know a lot of their music, I do love some of their songs and Aaron Lewis (lead singer) is an amazing singer live. I've submitted one of his songs in an upcoming walrus too :)

Ay yea I see now -acoustic cover/version, either or.

You can see the whole concert on YT here. Great show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eF7gywHMxw

yea...the foward slash makes it potentially read as two different catagories.

Thanks for the link to the concert..something new to listen too.. they are both definitely musical treasures that just keep on giving.

The Staind song which I like....made me think... can anyone here name any other songs at least partialy composed live especially lyricaly or even start off as an acoustic then later have a recorded electric version... kind of stumped..something I have never thought about...

kind of reminds me of the time I started to trace Nirvana's All apologies from its early days inception to the track we all know and then onto the MTV unplugged acoustic version..which some people prefer...Oh..I am on rambling again!

Here this explains the songs history quicker than I can

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_(Staind_song)

Here this explains the songs history quicker than I can

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_(Staind_song)

There ya go, you learn something new every day! Thanks for that Speckle :)

So the song was originally sung live, and then released as a single two years later..

Yeah that song wasn't a cover, but does 'acoustic' not mean - 'Live' ???

I always thought it did :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Generally I wouldn't count the average rehearsed rock concert song with full band, but I would count that song as acoustic. It was a broken down moment with just his guitar and Fred. I think the strict definition is electrical amplification but I am open to correction?

Brings back teenage memories for me too! I'd forgotten this song before you shared it :)

Not sure were to start with this..needs a longer answer as there is overlap.. give me a while to find a link cos it would take to long to type. lol
    starters
    live versus studio recorded
    note you can also record a live gig

electric normally internal electronics in the instruments

acoustic instruments can be miked to be recorded in a studio or even a temporary sound pick up placed inside them...

electro acoustic/semi acoustic eg guitar that you could play not plugged in but also does have internal electronics that can be plugged in to make it louder and sometimes eqs to play with the sound frequency mix.

drum versus drum machine
    piano versus keyboard
    upright bass versus electric bass etc

so live normally refers to a once off event or a gig that is part of a tour that you may or may not record.
    It may use electric or semiacoustic or acoustic instruments or a mixture

Acoustic can refer to type of instruments... or the fact that a live gig is not electrified at all or uses acoustic or mainly acoustic instruments and voice which may or may not be amplified using amps/mics/pa etc

Flip I think a link might be better...see what I mean with my rambling :D

Edit as ari mentioned the complication that the average drumkit in a rock band is an acoustic instrument/s that have microphones around and on and in them to amplify them.

There ya go, you learn something new every day! Thanks for that Speckle :)

So the song was originally sung live, and then released as a single two years later..

Yes off the top of my head... he finished composing the lyrics/verses live on tour while playing an semi/acoustic guitar one night..ie low key not fully electricfied instruments with a full band...then the song charted as an acoustic version then later they recorded a studio version for an album which in turn also got released and charted. My head is spinning..darn good song anyhow :)

• Advertisement

Ah my head hurts lol. But thanks for the breakdown :)

I just took it as a song that was live, or maybe a simple set up like someone singing with just a guitar.

I'll put some thought into whether I'll continue with considering the technicalities, or to just do my own thing with a song :p

I've an 'Emo' playlist with only a couple of songs in it. I've listened to some of the songs for years and only recently looked up one of the bands that I always thought might have been an Australian Emo band. Dont ask where that idea came from.
    Turns out they are classed as a rock band, and they are German! :D:D

Nevermind though, they will continue to be my 'Emo' band lol

Advertisement