Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertuo pods

Options
  • 11-01-2021 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I have made a mistake! I purchased a krups machine as a Christmas gift for my husband. Not being a coffee drinker myself I didn't investigate too deeply... But was told by the salesperson that any regular pods will fit ..However having bought a few different packets of pods it appears none fit the machine. Is our only option to buy from Nespresso online ? Can we buy from any physical shop in Ireland ? Is Nepresso online US based. Thankis for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

Not sure if I have made a mistake! I purchased a krups machine as a Christmas gift for my husband. Not being a coffee drinker myself I didn't investigate too deeply... But was told by the salesperson that any regular pods will fit ..However having bought a few different packets of pods it appears none fit the machine. Is our only option to buy from Nespresso online ? Can we buy from any physical shop in Ireland ? Is Nepresso online US based. Thankis for any help.

Nespresso have shops in Cork (upstairs in Brown Thomas), Limerick and Dublin anyway. The Vertuo pods are not available from other manufacturers. Nespresso delivery for online orders is usually very fast if you go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Thank you as I couldn't find them on line at the BT website I presumed they didnt stock them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

Thank you as I couldn't find them on line at the BT website I presumed they didnt stock them .

I suppose it's a separate shop within BT so not on their site then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You'll either have to order directly from Nespresso (UK based, haven't ordered since the end of the year, so no idea how that'll work since they used DPD previously and DPD have temporarily stopped shipping to Ireland from the UK).

The other option is to buy them in person in a 'Nespresso boutique' - their concessions in Brown Thomas Cork / Limerick / Dublin, Arnotts - or their 'micro boutique' stands in Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown or Dundrum shopping centres.

They're all obviously closed under Level 5.

The standard capsules fit the standard machines, but the Vertuo capsules are barcodes and apparently use centrifugal force or something. Their Christmas Pecan Biscotti was nice but sold out online by the start of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I ordered Monday and the order was in local parcel motel before the end of Tuesday. Much faster than my prior experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ldl_84

Nespresso have a irish warehouse so there should no extra custom charges because of brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

ldl_84 wrote: »
    Nespresso have a irish warehouse so there should no extra custom charges because of brexit.

Well if that's the case their service is shocking.

Edit: In my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buying Vertuo is like buying a residential printer. Below cost at point of sale then get absolutely bent over for supplies.

If he drinks a lot you'll save money to bin that machine and get the original system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ldl_84

ED E wrote: »
    Buying Vertuo is like buying a residential printer. Below cost at point of sale then get absolutely bent over for supplies.

If he drinks a lot you'll save money to bin that machine and get the original system.

Is that true? I was looking at moving away but it didn't seem any cheaper. Ignoring the subjective aspect of the quality of the coffee each person likes what they like.

A vertuo pod works out at 66c per coffee. Looking at coffee prices €9 for 250g bag (coffee angel) works out at 73c per coffee. Or am I looking at the wrong places for coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Is that true? I was looking at moving away but it didn't seem any cheaper. Ignoring the subjective aspect of the quality of the coffee each person likes what they like.

A vertuo pod works out at 66c per coffee. Looking at coffee prices €9 for 250g bag (coffee angel) works out at 73c per coffee. Or am I looking at the wrong places for coffee

vertuo is about 7g per pod - 66c a pod
    250g of vertuo coffee works out at about €23.57 for 250g

Most online coffee is 6.50€ for 250g of beans or ground.
    if using a machine you would use 17 -18g per double espresso / americano.

Vertuo is a rip off for weak coffee with a whipped up fake crema.
    I have a machine myself but wouldnt be its biggest fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

carq wrote: »

Is it noticeably weaker than standard Nespresso. I would usually put three Nespresso pods in a mug of coffee. Was wondering either I should just move to Vertu style pods.

carq wrote: »

I was more comparing like for like, pod systems.

Vertuo 66c/drink (for now, consider this introductory pricing)

L'or 34c/drink
    L'avazza 35c/drink
    Starbucks 39c/drink
    Costa 38c/drink
    Dunnes 20c/drink

And so on and so forth. The compatibles have lots of choice, some good some bad, but nearly all cheaper. Risk is that market may eventually die by Nespresso giving massive discounts on new machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is Vertuo their only machine that wont take supermarket pods or are there any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Maybe some of their higher end ones as well but cant say - anything with a barcode.

dont buy the metal chinese insert where you can put your coffee in it.
    Terrible coffee out and will likely damage the machine long term

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is Vertuo their only machine that wont take supermarket pods or are there any others?

Krups v2 was similarly locked down which caused a big law suit, Nespresso bought Krups though.

Advertisement