Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smaller Cassette, Which Size?

Options
  • 12-01-2021 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭

I'm considering going for a smaller cassette for closer gear ratios but I'm not sure which one to go for. I currently have a 32-11 on a 50-34 compact crankset.

I'm not one for 5 hour rides or category climbs but at the same time I don't want to go down too low so it takes 1,000w to take off from a red light, considering I'd be in 2nd/3rd gear to prevent cross chaining.

So, 30-11, 28-11, 25-12?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm just curious but unless you are racing the necessity of having very close ratios lessens.

A 28 or 25 will give you a good spread without the largely unnecessary 32 or 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

28 is a nice balance between close ratios and not losing too much low end for climbing, IMO.

Personally, I'd only fit a 25 if I lived in the Irish midlands, or similar flattish terrain. (saying that, my city bike has a 12-21 7-speed, but it's only used in the city and I never go near Mount Merrion, Howth or Chapelizod on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

11-28 or 12-27 would be a great solution for you Dave. Covers all bases except serious climbing and keep things tight and reachable for the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

12-25 all day.
    With a compact chainset, 34:25 isn't too hard to push.

I don't like wide ratio cassettes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I'd be thinking a 12/25 also

A 34/25 would get you up most climbs really I think.

Also I wouldn't be worrying too much about cross chaining. I don't think it's an issue any more. I'd often use 52/25, especially on an endurance ride on a 'lumpy' route. Not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

25-12, IMO, you only need an 11 sprocket if your racing.

Advertisement