Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting sleeper wall

Options
  • 12-01-2021 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I’m building a small retaining wall from sleepers between the lawn (which is slightly high) and the veg area in my garden. The wall will be one sleeper (on edge high - 200mm). I’ve dug a shallow trench along and put in gravel for drainage under the sleeper. It will be L shaped and around 2.5 sleepers long on each leg.

options to support the sleepers I’ve seen online:
    -Hammer in treated 2*2 pegs and screw to sleeper
    -cement in 4*4 posts and screw to sleeper
    -drill through sleeper and hammer rebar through sleeper into the ground

I’m leaning towards the 2nd option - anyone done this before and have advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ive done it a few different ways. Will the lawn be level with the top of the sleeper? You could also put some gravel against the sleeper in the lawn side with some landscape fabric to separate from the soil, this will help to prevent the sleepers from getting too wet. You could attach each sleeper to the next with some galvband, before fixing to stakes.

Id go option 1 but with 3×3 at least even round stakes well hammered in.

Or option 2 with steel angle (2x2) instead of timber as timber cemeted in tends to rot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Ive done it a few different ways. Will the lawn be level with the top of the sleeper? You could also put some gravel against the sleeper in the lawn side with some landscape fabric to separate from the soil, this will help to prevent the sleepers from getting too wet. You could attach each sleeper to the next with some galvband, before fixing to stakes.

Id go option 1 but with 3×3 at least even round stakes well hammered in.

Or option 2 with steel angle (2x2) instead of timber as timber cemeted in tends to rot faster.

Thanks Funster - the lawn will be level with the top of the sleeper
    What’s a steel angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Angle-Iron-1.jpg
    okedoke wrote: »
    Thanks Funster - the lawn will be level with the top of the sleeper
    What’s a steel angle?

This stuff, commonly called angle iron too.

Most builders merch/hardware would have it. They might even cut to size for you too. Save a lot of angle grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Angle-Iron-1.jpg

This stuff, commonly called angle iron too.

Most builders merch/hardware would have it. They might even cut to size for you too. Save a lot of angle grinding.

Ok thanks for that

Advertisement