Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competence required to be executed in Indiana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Yea, i dont necessarily disagree she shouldn't have been executed. but thats a different point.

The recidivism rate for those punished by death penalty is still zero as pointed out, incurring your admonishment, whereas those serving life are still capable of killing again.

Average number of people killed when a death sentence is carried out: 1
    Average number of people killed over the course of life in prison: probably in the region of 0.00000001 (and if they did end up killing another inmate, sure that inmate would have been killed by the state anyway if we follow your logic to its conclusion)

Data from other countries shows that murder rates usually drop when the death penalty is abolished, possibly because living in a civilised society where the government doesn't kill people makes citizens less likely to choose to go down that path themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

After reading the Guardian piece on Montgomery, I believe execution is an unwarranted punishment.

Her story was tragic beyond belief, repugnant to execute her ,life incarceration

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't think theres any reasoning in the world you could give me to justify somebody violently cutting a baby out of a heavily pregnant woman that wouldn't have me wishing death upon them.

Some people are severely intellectually and psychologically damaged and thus should be sent to asylums, not prison

They should never be released though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's always seemed funny to me that those most in favor of the death penalty (from a US perspective) are also those who claim to want less interference in their lives by the state.

'don't tread on me' types who at the same time want to hand the ultimate power to the state, to decide who dies at their hands

I have always thought this too, that it seems weird that those who otherwise advocate as little state interference in their lives as possible also seem to be the main supporters of allowing the state the power of ultimate interference - to execute.

I'm against capital punishment in any and all circumstances. When I say that to people who are pro-capital punishment (or even when I post that on here) I get two main kinds of responses.

The first is that they see my position as condoning the crime in some way, that I don't think it's that bad, because surely I should want them executed unless I condone it...a woeful argument.

Or sometimes get people responding with some scenario in which my family are murdered in some horrifically brutal way, and asking me if I'd still be against the death penalty then. It's as if I just haven't envisioned a crime horrific enough, and when I do, I'll change my mind.

But the taking of a human life is not a right I think anybody or anything should have, and I include the state in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

so do people locked up in prison for the rest of their lives at a fraction of the cost.
    it's clear the death penalty fails on all of it's reasoning.

It depends on if you see the death penalty as punishment or not I guess.

At some point, for some people, rehabilitation doesn't work and you, it seems, have to move on to punishment as a deterrent.
    Now its highly questionable as to whether or not deterrents work on everyone, but they certainly work on 99% of the population, otherwise everyone would be doing whatever they want and we would have anarchy.

I'd argue that the people for whom a deterrent doesnt work fall into two categories:
    1) Nothing to lose so no downside to being caught (if you live under a tree or overpass prison seems like a good deal)
    2) dont have the mental capacity to understand the deterrent or the consequences of the actions

Those who fall under 2) shouldnt really be punished as it wont work, but often they cant be rehabilitated either, so what do we do? Locking them up for life doesnt seem that great an option either, but killing them because they are inconvenient is pretty abhorrent.

For those in 1) we need to give them something to lose, something to make it worthwhile to stay straight. I happened to be watching a Louis Theroux show on prisons last night and the fact that they let them be a dog eat dog situation only perpetuates the problem, even if you wanted to be rehabilitated you cant, you have to become a thug to survive in there.

TL;DR
    There is no obvious answer to this problem, but I would hope most sane people would agree that killing this broken, shell of a woman served nothing and benefitted noone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GreeBo wrote: »
    Now its highly questionable as to whether or not deterrents work on everyone, but they certainly work on 99% of the population, otherwise everyone would be doing whatever they want and we would have anarchy.

This is way off.

Most people don't throw their rubbish on the ground, not because they think the non-existent litter wardens will punish them, most people are civically minded.

Deterrents mostly don't work - we just dont have anything better.

I really dont know how anyone can consider the USA first world while they carry on executing people. You'd have hoped the feds at least would have moved on.

quokula wrote: »

Data from other countries shows that murder rates usually drop when the death penalty is abolished, possibly because living in a civilised society where the government doesn't kill people makes citizens less likely to choose to go down that path themselves.

Correlation != Causation, even with all the "possibly"'s in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    This is way off.

Most people don't throw their rubbish on the ground, not because they think the non-existent litter wardens will punish them, most people are civically minded.

Most people break the law, but do not consider themselves lawbreakers. E.g. speeding, minor tax evasion, expenses fraud.

Deterrents are like a nudge, when a crime is premeditated and the offender is sensible, they work to a greater or lesser degree depending on the risk/reward.

They don't work for crimes of passion, they don't work when people are desperate or mad or impulsive, or when they actually crave punishment or want to get caught.

I am generally stupidly honest, for example is my bill is miscalculated in a restaurant I'll correct it. But I still don't claim to have never broken a law.

This is way off.

I disagree, a large number of the anti social behaviour we see today is from people who know they will not be punished for it. be that a clip on the ear from a parent of a spell locked up.
    I think it would be very hard to prove the difference between "civic minded" and "deterrents" since every society I know of has these deterrents for anti social behaviour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

osarusan wrote: »
    Or sometimes get people responding with some scenario in which my family are murdered in some horrifically brutal way, and asking me if I'd still be against the death penalty then. It's as if I just haven't envisioned a crime horrific enough, and when I do, I'll change my mind.

This line of argument and those related to it have always puzzled me. It's basically "Well, would you reach the same conclusion if your judgement was clouded by grief and rage!?!". Hardly a great recipe for rational decision making.

• Advertisement

Average number of people killed over the course of life in prison: probably in the region of 0.00000001 (and if they did end up killing another inmate, sure that inmate would have been killed by the state anyway if we follow your logic to its conclusion)

Your stats game is poor. Average of what?
    As is your logical fallacy. And a strawman.
    We're comparing the rate of recidivism among those executed v those not.

The former rate is 0
    The latter > 0

This is not an argument in favour or against death penalty.
    Its merely a simple fact, the statement of which seems to be problematic for some.

Its either true or its not.
    If you're arguing its not, please provide the number of those who were executed, verified dead, and who then reoffended. Anything else is a strawman.

Average Recidivism rate for an executed person: 0%
    Average Recidivism rate for an "rehabilitated" person: 40-83%

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2019/may/3/long-term-recidivism-studies-show-high-arrest-rates/

Numbers are great.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Average Recidivism rate for an executed person: 0%
    Average Recidivism rate for an "rehabilitated" person: 40-83%

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2019/may/3/long-term-recidivism-studies-show-high-arrest-rates/

Numbers are great.

You're quoting from a study of the recidivism rates for people who are released from prison.

The post you are trying to be smart about specifically refers to notional recidivism rates where life-means-life, i.e. no release from prison takes place, in cases such as the one giving rise to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Recidivism rates in the U.S. are extremely poor because the prison system there is deliberately designed to ensure that once someone enters it, they never really leave.

By your logic, everyone who goes into prison for any reason should just be executed so they can't commit another crime.

What's the recidivism rate for convicted murderers?

seamus wrote: »

Executed or non executed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

seamus wrote: »
    Recidivism rates in the U.S. are extremely poor because the prison system there is deliberately designed to ensure that once someone enters it, they never really leave.

By your logic, everyone who goes into prison for any reason should just be executed so they can't commit another crime.

Any one who goes to prison for the premeditated murder of a innocent person or some one kills in a gangland setting should never be allowed out of prison again.

Execution is the best way to guarantee this happens.

if they don't want to play by the rules of the human race then they don't get the benefits .

Very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Any one who goes to prison for the premeditated murder of a innocent person or some one kills in a gangland setting should never be allowed out of prison again.

Execution is the best way to guarantee this happens.

if they don't want to play by the rules of the human race then they don't get the benefits .

Very simple
    What about a situation where an innocent individual is put to death based on flawed evidence? What's your take on that?

And since you brought up the killer not being allowed out of prison, what makes you think "life in prison" isn't an adequate method?

What about a situation where an innocent individual is put to death based on flawed evidence? What's your take on that?

And since you brought up the killer not being allowed out of prison, what makes you think "life in prison" isn't an adequate method?

In specific cases where evidence is of high standard with the correct checks and balances , science has progressed to make DNA finger prints cctv etc very unlikely these days for a incorrect verdict , I wonder what the percentages of incorrect verdicts is in the last ten years say .

And if an error is made then so be it , there are many criminals wandering the streets committing crime after crime with little or no fear of repercussions.
    if that costs a few people their lives then so be it. I believe that the country would be better for it.

Life in prison even with out parole allows for the possibility of escape, it also allows for the possibility for further harm to be done in prison , prison officers other prisoners etc . also wildly expensive
    The death penalty in the states is so expensive because of the grubby little hands of lawyers. I wonder what it costs in other country's, Japan for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In specific cases where evidence is of high standard with the correct checks and balances , science has progressed to make DNA finger prints cctv etc very unlikely these days for a incorrect verdict , I wonder what the percentages of incorrect verdicts is in the last ten years say .

And if an error is made then so be it , there are many criminals wandering the streets committing crime after crime with little or no fear of repercussions.
    if that costs a few people their lives then so be it. I believe that the country would be better for it.

Life in prison even with out parole allows for the possibility of escape, it also allows for the possibility for further harm to be done in prison , prison officers other prisoners etc . also wildly expensive
    The death penalty in the states is so expensive because of the grubby little hands of lawyers. I wonder what it costs in other country's, Japan for instance.

you think the country is better off if we lock up innocent people?

you think the country is better off if we lock up innocent people?

if that's what you want to take from what I said then feel free

don't worry Im sure capital punishment will never be reintroduced in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if that's what you want to take from what I said then feel free

don't worry Im sure capital punishment will never be reintroduced in Ireland

I presume you would have no issue if you were an innocent person locked up or executed? the country would be better for it as you say.

So you're saying the end justifies the means if potentially innocent people are killed in the process? Are you even listening to yourself right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Nermal

What about a situation where an innocent individual is put to death based on flawed evidence?

What about it? We do our best to minimise it, in the knowledge that guilty people may escape as a result, but it will always happen regardless. So what? If you discover a man innocent after his best days were spent in prison, can you grant them back to him? What if you discover him innocent after he has died there?

As soon as soft, well meaning hearts like yours succeeded in abolishing the death penalty, they began undermining life sentences as well:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ireland-needs-to-reconsider-approach-to-life-sentences-1.3742360

https://www.ihrec.ie/download/pdf/report_determination_life_sentences.pdf

No punishment can ever be too lenient for this lobby. It lost sight of justice a long time ago.

Nermal wrote: »
    What about it? We do our best to minimise it, in the knowledge that guilty people may escape as a result, but it will always happen regardless. So what? If you discover a man innocent after his best days were spent in prison, can you grant them back to him? What if you discover him innocent after he has died there?
    Yes, we do need to do our best to ensure innocent people don't get locked up based on unreliable evidence and testimony, but one innocent person on death row out of 1,000 is still one too many. How many death row convicts who have escaped went to kill again in their time from prison compared to those who were wrongfully executed by the state?
    Nermal wrote: »
    As soon as soft, well meaning hearts like yours succeeded in abolishing the death penalty, they began undermining life sentences as well:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ireland-needs-to-reconsider-approach-to-life-sentences-1.3742360

https://www.ihrec.ie/download/pdf/report_determination_life_sentences.pdf

No punishment can ever be too lenient for this lobby. It lost sight of justice a long time ago.
    I didn't abolish anything, so your ad hominem remark rings hollow.

Besides, I never said anything about changing how life sentences should be carried out, this is all about capital punishment here.

So you're saying the end justifies the means if potentially innocent people are killed in the process? Are you even listening to yourself right now?

asked and answered .

just because you don't like the answer doesn't bother me :-)

Yes, we do need to do our best to ensure innocent people don't get locked up based on unreliable evidence and testimony, but one innocent person on death row out of 1,000 is still one too many. How many death row convicts who have escaped went to kill again in their time from prison compared to those who were wrongfully executed by the state?

how many people who should have gotten the death penalty went on to kill ?

asked and answered .

Ooookay then. Just saying you seem to care more about maintaining the system above all else, and if innocent people are swept up in it, so be it, as you would say.

Ooookay then. Just saying you seem to care more about maintaining the system above all else, and if innocent people are swept up in it, so be it, as you would say.

the suffering of a tiny tiny few for the betterment of every one . ?

yeap sounds good to me

the suffering of a tiny tiny few for the betterment of every one . ?

yeap sounds good to me
    tumblr_inline_pqj8gmLb9V1s22twp_500.gif

• Advertisement

asked and answered .

By that logic the safest way is to just kill everyone, guaranteed to get all the bad guys that way...

How many innocents is to many?

Advertisement