Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competence required to be executed in Indiana

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mynamejeff wrote: »
    3 percent of convictions for murder in Ireland are proven to be false and the person totally innocent ?

id have though a lot less. id love to see that source
    3% of all executions carried out by the Irish state were proven to be innocent after the fact.

You didn't answer my question of what was an acceptable figure.

Anyway, these are kind of loaded numbers. The number of convictions proven false isn't all that useful because most convictions aren't revisited or retried.

A more meaningful figure would be what percentage of convictions are determined to have been wrong or flawed following a review of the evidence.

From this you might be able to make a guess at what percentage of ALL convictions are unsafe.

Most estimates in modern democracies put it at somewhere between 2.5% and 15%.

But again, what number is acceptable to you.

"For every 100 people executed, x are innocent". Solve for x.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

seamus wrote: »
    3% of all executions carried out by the Irish state were proven to be innocent after the fact.

You didn't answer my question of what was an acceptable figure.

Anyway, these are kind of loaded numbers. The number of convictions proven false isn't all that useful because most convictions aren't revisited or retried.

A more meaningful figure would be what percentage of convictions are determined to have been wrong or flawed following a review of the evidence.

From this you might be able to make a guess at what percentage of ALL convictions are unsafe.

Most estimates in modern democracies put it at somewhere between 2.5% and 15%.

But again, what number is acceptable to you.

"For every 100 people executed, x are innocent". Solve for x.

again id love to see the source your using for that 3 percent information seeing as the last execution was in 1954 ? after that death sentences were usually given for the murder of gardai by political groups.

if you read back you ll see where I reference improvements in policing, science and tech.

I would also suggest that more time, effort, talent and expertise is put into a capital murder trial both on the prosecution and defence side than a shoplifting trial. So your comparisons may not be accurate .

Anyway I see the point you are making and that you are demanding figure,

so with out stats due to the fact that there are none id say the potential figure is tiny , well below 0.9 %.

using the figures we have

the Irish state executed 35 people total including for political murders in 30 years approx. about 1 a year. lets assume 100 people per century. with the possibility of less than one of them being innocent.

I suppose if you remove the political murders and sub in gangland it might increase slightly but still less than one

that I would find very acceptable

are you happy with that ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Ireland#Later_executions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dont understand how the death penalty is still so common in a first world country

Advertisement