Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1Gb upload anywhere?

• 12-01-2021 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I'm in Dublin 8, anyone know provider that offer 1Gb upload speeds (can get 1Gb download speeds via virgin but they only offer 50Mb upload)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Symmetric ethernet, take your current bill and 10x it. Then probably double it again.

Short answer, no. And unless you're running TPBs next incarnation you can't use it. Max upload to YT for example is only a few hundred Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

I'm in Dublin 8, anyone know provider that offer 1Gb upload speeds (can get 1Gb download speeds via virgin but they only offer 50Mb upload)?

why do you want this level of upload bandwidth? symmetric connections are mega money

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

woejus wrote: »
    why do you want this level of upload bandwidth? symmetric connections are mega money

Need to get 10TB of work data into a Cloud provider in a very short time (before the data goes stale) so I need a fast upload speed (50Mb would not be fast enough).. we are running out of options and is 1 avenue i'm going to explore..

An Post is the fastest ISP in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yup - its called a leased line, but make sure you're sitting down when you get the cost

a few years ago i was quoted 10 k installation plus 10k a year for a 10mb leased line

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    An Post is the fastest ISP in the country.

We tried that but that threw another load of issues into the mix. basically, I need a 1Gb+ line for 14-28 days and the vendor are prepared to pay any min-term & premium (hence looking at what home broadband options this could include)..

PS. I know this may sound very amateurish but is that is because it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

We tried that but that threw another load of issues into the mix. basically, I need a 1Gb+ line for 14-28 days and the vendor are prepared to pay any min-term & premium (hence looking at what home broadband options this could include)..

I'd say contact someone who you know will deal with you efficiently e.g. digiweb/pure etc. and not eir. Possibly the wholesalers like BT or ENet?

I assume it's not AWS as snowball would sort this in one go? Time to rearchitect your cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Id be backing it up to some sort of portable drive that you can network like a Nas.

Doing it over a broadband is mad with a 50mb line. The extra work be a pain in the hole though.

Edit: Sorry I see its in the cloud. Yea AWS, Azure should have a device available available fir thus type of transfer.

thats guys - i think the short answer for me is no, the best i can get with a residential broadband is 50Mb with Virgin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

yup - its called a leased line, but make sure you're sitting down when you get the cost

a few years ago i was quoted 10 k installation plus 10k a year for a 10mb leased line

And usually a 2-3 month lead in time. We pay approx 10k per annum for 200mb leased line.

As others have said most cloud providers have the ability to seed data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

airwire quoted me €370pm for 1Gb down/up in the past. I just couldnt justify it over the 60pm i pay for 1Gb down/ 200Mb up. This was over SIRO. Maybe worth contacting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Really large amounts of data are sent via HDD in trucks or by train, for a reason.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Really large amounts of data are sent via HDD in trucks or by train, for a reason.

Yep & works well most of the time but latency is too great for this use case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

10TB
    That's a lot of data. Why not just post the drive to the Cloud Provider?

Edit:
    It's not a lot of data, but without access to a leased line it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

AWS Snowcone https://aws.amazon.com/snowcone/?whats-new-cards.sort-by=item.additionalFields.postDateTime&whats-new-cards.sort-order=desc

Or how about you upload the 10TB and sync the incremental changes, might take a few weeks to get there but it’s an option. Once it’s all up to date hand the data over.

Advertisement