Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding international dial tone help

Options
  • 12-01-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks, tricky one here.

I’m looking for a way to obscure that I’m abroad and working from my employer - I’ll be working, just not in the country. My problem is, if he rings he will likely hear an international dial tone on his side as it rings.

I am Irish based and will be in the EU for a few weeks. I am with 48. My thoughts are that I could turn on WiFi calling only, but would that still return an international dial tone?

Another option would be to put the number straight to voicemail without it ringing out at all? However, I am uncertain how to go about setting that up.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are you not allowed go abroad and work??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tell him you've switched to a VOIP number with forwarding, and that explains the tone.

https://www.goldfish.ie/115953/all/1/Irish-Virtual-Telephone-Numbers-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Kimbot wrote: »
    Are you not allowed go abroad and work??

Ah it's complicated, for many reasons :pac:
    3DataModem wrote: »
    Tell him you've switched to a VOIP number with forwarding, and that explains the tone.

https://www.goldfish.ie/115953/all/1/Irish-Virtual-Telephone-Numbers-.aspx

Will this require a new virtual number or can I keep my own number for this virtual forwarding? I should have made clear I need to keep my current number active.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭FluffPiece

Worth bearing in mind how long you are planning on working from outside Ireland.

A couple of weeks, I'd try to be up front with your boss about it in case anything goes wrong a few weeks down the line.

If it's a long term arrangement, it could have tax implications for you and your employer and this might be why they don't want to agree to it. Think long and hard before making a decision because it could end up costing you your job ultimatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Another option would be to put the number straight to voicemail without it ringing out at all? However, I am uncertain how to go about setting that up.

Any ideas?

Set everything to voicemail and say you have patchy phone signal in your WFH office.

If VoWiFi works though, use that. Ring yourself off another phone and see what the dial tone is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Set everything to voicemail and say you have patchy phone signal in your WFH office.

How would one go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

How would one go about this?

Normally via the menus.
    On android you can search for forwarding in settings,
    but you can go old school and use the gsm codes:
    all calls (unconditionally) *21*[phone number]#
    i.e.
    Dial *21*3538751234567#
    087 5 1234567 is the voice mailbox number for 087 1234567

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi folks, tricky one here.

I’m looking for a way to obscure that I’m abroad and working from my employer - I’ll be working, just not in the country. My problem is, if he rings he will likely hear an international dial tone on his side as it rings.

I am Irish based and will be in the EU for a few weeks. I am with 48. My thoughts are that I could turn on WiFi calling only, but would that still return an international dial tone?

Any ideas?

Wi-Fi calling will do the trick. With WiFi calling, you remain connected to your home network at all times when you are on WiFi. Your phone will behave exactly as if you are in Ireland. Callers will receive Irish ringback tone, and you can make calls to Irish geographic and non-geographic numbers (freephone etc), as if you were in Ireland.

Three/48 do not support WiFi Calling. Eir is the only Irish network that fully supports WiFi Calling, including use while abroad, (they dont offer on their standalone GoMo Brand). The €9.99pm unlimited SIM-only plans from Eir are hard to beat (€14.99 if not in an Eir bundle).

Make sure you have a handset that supports Eir's WiFi calling. (If Android from anothet network, you will to flash Eir's firmware build into it.)

Advertisement