Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness SIX Nations 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

aloooof wrote: »
    It's almost incredible how well Scotland's entire backline played, considering how poorly Russell did.

I think we could have expected it from Maitland and Hogg, but I was extremely impressed with their new 12, Redpath, who I knew nothing about before that game. Some performance for your debut in Twickenham.

I agree. Bizarrely not only did BBC make Russell MOTM but Maggie Alphonso had him in 6 N team of the weekend in today's Telegraph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I agree. Bizarrely not only did BBC make Russell MOTM but Maggie Alphonso had him in 6 N team of the weekend in today's Telegraph!

Ask yourself who was better? Not Farrell, Sexton or Biggar so he gets it for the good things he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Thought Russell was better than people make out. He had a few moment of madness which will always stand out unfortunately. But he got the backline moving reasonably well, better than Farrell did. Farrell just kicked up and unders, even inside the 10m line whereas at least Russell will try something inventive. Poor execution on a few kicks and the drop kick was bizarre. But I’d have him as the best 10 this weekend. Or do people think Sexton, Biggar or Farrell were better? Very hard to win away at Twickenham and the 10 usually is at the forefront.

On 9, probably not a lot between Murray and Price’s performances this week. Standard wasn’t amazing but I think people are being very critical of a guy who clearly knows the sport well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Trey13 wrote: »
    Thought Russell was better than people make out. He had a few moment of madness which will always stand out unfortunately. But he got the backline moving reasonably well, better than Farrell did. Farrell just kicked up and unders, even inside the 10m line whereas at least Russell will try something inventive. Poor execution on a few kicks and the drop kick was bizarre. But I’d have him as the best 10 this weekend. Or do people think Sexton, Biggar or Farrell were better? Very hard to win away at Twickenham and the 10 usually is at the forefront.

On 9, probably not a lot between Murray and Price’s performances this week. Standard wasn’t amazing but I think people are being very critical of a guy who clearly knows the sport well.

I think there's a small bit of confusion here. The OP said it was McGeechan's Team of the Week (in which case having Murray and Russell ahead of Dupont and Jalibert would be crazy) but it was actually his Lions selection.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Ask yourself who was better? Not Farrell, Sexton or Biggar so he gets it for the good things he did.

French OH was definitely better than Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

aloooof wrote: »
    I think there's a small bit of confusion here. The OP said it was McGeechan's Team of the Week (in which case having Murray and Russell ahead of Dupont and Jalibert would be crazy) but it was actually his Lions selection.

Sorry I thought it was Lions too. But yes, the French two were better if it was a team of the weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Garbisi was the best outhalf of the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

French OH was definitely better than Russell.

Yes but this was a Lions selection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Thought Redpath was really assured on a debut vs England.

Saw elsewhere that Russell turned over the ball five times. I thought Scotland won despite him.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Russell is a Scottish Carlos Spencer/Quade Cooper, I can see why people fawn over him even when he doesn't have a great game.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    Yes but this was a Lions selection

I was referring to Maggie Alphonso's Team of the 6N first weekend not to Sir Ian McGeechan's Lions selection. See Post 452 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Trey13 wrote: »

Agreed re Russell - several of those that played in his position at the highest level were very complimentary. Suspect they know a bit more than the detractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Tommybojangles

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Garbisi was the best outhalf of the weekend

Delighted someone said it! Looking forward to the Italy game Saturday to get another look at him

Delighted someone said it! Looking forward to the Italy game Saturday to get another look at him

Dunno if he was the best, but I thought he was great. Twenty years old!

I think Italy might start really punching their weight in a year or two - that was a very young team. And composure looked to be their number one issue.

Dunno if he was the best, but I thought he was great. Twenty years old!

I think Italy might start really punching their weight in a year or two - that was a very young team. And composure looked to be their number one issue.

Back in 2000 when Italy first participated in 6N it was being predicted that within 10 years they would win a GS. 21 years on and they have never won more than 2 matches in any Championship, they have never beaten England home or away and and have still to taste victory in Dublin and Cardiff in the 6N. We live in hope but positive predictions have been made in the past and they remain bottom of the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Back in 2000 when Italy first participated in 6N it was being predicted that within 10 years they would win a GS. 21 years on and they have never won more than 2 matches in any Championship, they have never beaten England home or away and and have still to taste victory in Dublin and Cardiff in the 6N. We live in hope but positive predictions have been made in the past and they remain bottom of the pile.

was it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

lawred2 wrote: »
    was it?

Not by anyone remotely sensible, no.

Yeah, we've thought they'd turn the corner before. No guarantees this time, certainly. But I'm hopefully - they've some good young players (youngest squad overall this 6N I believe?) in key positions like Garbisi.

.ak wrote: »
    Join Boards.ie 6N Pool, my Six Nations Fantasy league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/sixnationsfantasy/pool.php?p=12303299

Actually just setup a boards pool if anyone fancies joining. Just bragging rights, unless I go ahead after rd1....

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your pool LO, I'll join that!

dpUEDPA.png

So I had a few let downs (Itoje's penalty count hurt my score, O'Mahony had an impressive -5 and Ryan / Williams departing early).

Jalibert, Dupont and Tomas really delivered, Lowe, Hogg and Stander were decent enough.

Going to be some enforced changes this week, might bring in a few more English players as Italy (albeit better than are being given credit) are still likely to cough up a good few scores away in Twickenham.

lawred2 wrote: »
    was it?

Yes it was and that's why I remember it. IIRC it came from rugby pundits at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

May’s dropped catch at around 15 minutes against Scotland was described as uncharacteristic by the commentators. Is he great in defence? We know what he can do with ball in hand but he used to be regarded as a bit vulnerable under the ball.

Looking for positives, I thought Italy’s passing against France was crisp enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm quite excited about the Italy vs England game. I know Italy shipped 50 points but the majority of them came after periods of broken play. I don't think England have the same capacity to create chaos as the French, and their attacking performance was arguably the worst of all 6 teams this weekend. If Italy are more clinical in attack and structured in defence I reckon they'll get closer than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Italy were brilliant going forward, it’s their defense that was a shocker. That’s not a surprise as the entire Italian backline had 24 caps combined (less caps than Jordan Larmour has for Ireland to put that in perspective) and it showed as you could see from the communication to positioning it was a disaster. They will be exciting to watch but I still expect the inexperience to show again.

It does have to be said the big the France have over everyone is taking their chances, yes Italy were terrible defensively but I don’t think anyone else would have punished them as brutally as France did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

dpUEDPA.png

So I had a few let downs (Itoje's penalty count hurt my score, O'Mahony had an impressive -5 and Ryan / Williams departing early).

Jalibert, Dupont and Tomas really delivered, Lowe, Hogg and Stander were decent enough.

Going to be some enforced changes this week, might bring in a few more English players as Italy (albeit better than are being given credit) are still likely to cough up a good few scores away in Twickenham.

tl;dr.

I'm gunning for you.

tl;dr.

I'm gunning for you.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

WALES TEAM TO PLAY SCOTLAND (SATURDAY FEBRUARY 13, KO 16.45)

1. Wyn Jones (31 Caps)
    2. Ken Owens (78 Caps)
    3. Tomas Francis (53 Caps)
    4. Adam Beard (22 Caps)
    5. Alun Wyn Jones (CAPT) (144 Caps)
    6. Aaron Wainwright (27 Caps)
    7. Justin Tipuric (81 Caps)
    8. Taulupe Faletau (82 Caps)

9. Gareth Davies (58 Caps)
    10. Dan Biggar (88 Caps)
    11. Liam Williams (67 Caps)
    12. Nick Tompkins (9 Caps)
    13. Owen Watkin (26 Caps)
    14. Louis Rees-Zammit (5 Caps)
    15. Leigh Halfpenny (94 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee (33 Caps)
    17. Rhodri Jones (18 Caps)
    18. Leon Brown (13 Caps)
    19. Will Rowlands (6 Caps)
    20. James Botham (3 Caps)
    21. Kieran Hardy (2 Caps)
    22. Callum Sheedy (5 Caps)
    23. Uilisi Halaholo (*Uncapped)

Players unavailable for selection:

Dan Lydiate (released), Josh Navidi, Josh Macleod, Tomos Williams, Johnny Williams, George North, Jonathan Davies, Hallam Amos, Josh Adams.

Wales accidentally picked their best team for the weekend it seems. On paper they should have a decent chance but it’s hard to feel confident in backing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Both Navidi and Lydiate being out is a huge blow, Wainwright's no slouch but it's being said that it's an achilles injury for Navidi.

Scotland team to play Wales at BT Murrayfield, 2021 Guinness Six Nations

Saturday 13 February (kick-off 4.45pm) – live on BBC Sport

15. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 81 caps

14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
    13. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 24 caps
    12. James Lang (Harlequins) – 5 caps
    11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) – 6 caps

10. Finn Russell VICE CAPTAIN (Racing 92) – 52 caps
    9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 12 caps
    2. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
    3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 35 caps
    4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps
    5. Jonny Gray VICE CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 62 caps
    6. Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 9 caps
    7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh – 37 caps
    8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps

Substitutes:
    16. David Cherry (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
    17. Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
    18. WP Nel (Edinburgh) – 41 caps
    19. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 66 caps
    20. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) – 3 caps
    21. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 2 caps
    22. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
    23. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps

Flanker, Jamie Ritchie, centre, Cameron Redpath and winger, Sean Maitland are unavailable through injury.
    That is a big deal.

• Advertisement

a 30 year old halaholo straight to the bench is a terrible marker of the lack of depth in wales backs

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

a 30 year old halaholo straight to the bench is a terrible marker of the lack of depth in wales backs
    Not sure who Ireland's 6th choice centre would be .....if Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki, AN Other, SO Else were out through injury .....

Not sure who Ireland's 6th choice centre would be .....if Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki, AN Other, SO Else were out through injury .....

is Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

is Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler injured?
    Not sure .....

Also not saying Halaholo is an inspired pick ..... Kieran Williams is another option & possibly the one I would have called up.

Saying that Halaholo is unpredictable .... Scotland / Wales is generally an open game so it might suit him.

Actually think Scotland Wales could be a tight match. Scotland obviously favourites after their win at Twickenham and with home advantage but Wales know how to win at Murrayfield and there's no Scottish crowd to contend with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Actually think Scotland Wales could be a tight match. Scotland obviously favourites after their win at Twickenham and with home advantage but Wales know how to win at Murrayfield and there's no Scottish crowd to contend with.

I think this game will be a much better marker of where Scotland are currently. They've somewhat had England's number over the last few years and it's probably the game they are most up for in every Six Nations, so I find it a bit hard to make a judgement on them without seeing more of them. They spent a huge amount of emotional energy in the win over the weekend, which is another issue to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To be fair, it doesn't have to be a centre. By my count your down to your 12th in line in the back line. So for reference, in Ireland that's probably someone like a Shane Daly or Stuart McCloskey.

Yeah, realistically I think the Wales/Scottish game will be tightest game on the weekend. Hard to call that one. I'd imagine England and France will win their games respectively.

The real question however, is Venjur panicking about over loading loaded Irish players into his fantasy squad?

molloyjh wrote: »
    To be fair, it doesn't have to be a centre. By my count your down to your 12th in line in the back line. So for reference, in Ireland that's probably someone like a Shane Daly or Stuart McCloskey.

vTP1eIQ.gif

Surely that’s treason!

• Advertisement

The real question however, is Venjur panicking about over loading loaded Irish players into his fantasy squad?

Ha. I never panic.

5b965ca9dab8e3ffe2e0a04312e9ee92.gif

So...

Was 4 transfers enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Interesting take by the great Squidge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4ulx7H4Jg

So...

Was 4 transfers enough?

Four transfers was not enoughhhhh
    But it was such a perfect place to start, my love....

Team feels a bit 'garbage' this week. All enforced changes and have banked a bit on England racking up some scores on Italy in terms of captain / kicking choices which going by the Scotland game might be a mistake. Didn't have much choice but to back the boys in green due to last weeks selections and having to use transfers elsewhere.

bktruVd.png

In the interest of fairness, here's mine below.

Last night I swapped Dupont and May as my captain about 16 times... Can't call that one, but I've noticed they don't reward MoTM as a score multipier or anything... and I think Ireland will be focused on him (and probably lose elsewhere). Still think the match will have key performers on both sides though, so went 50/50 split.

I think England will carry on from here, and improve their fitness. So happy enough to keep their players in there.

Can't call the Wales/Scotland game either, reckon Scotland will pip it but think we can see a bit of a gutsy performance from Wales also with Scotland shading it in the final quarter. Too much quality in that backline.

543460.png

Hogg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I decided to sub out Rees-Zammit for May.

And captain May.

And sub out Porter for Fagerson.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I decided to sub out Rees-Zammit for May.

And captain May.

And sub out Porter for Fagerson.

Don't cross a busy street today

Should have made Hogg my captain or picked Watson over May albeit May did well enough. Bulk of my squad playing tomorrow and today's efforts did well enough.

Very random six nations so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Wales are good when faced with 14 players

• Advertisement
Advertisement