Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness SIX Nations 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Another French player tested positive. Baptists Pesenti who was supposed to replace another covid positive player has basically failed just as he arrived to join the squad.

Baptiste Absenti then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Game is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Just as well they France have a bunch of players who know what it is like to play in a crunch match (ANC Final vs England). Hopefully it will stand to them as there will be a lot of disruption this week before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Wales are gonna win a Grand Slam aren't they? :(

It is written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

French team sent into isolation, another player tested positive. Considering they trained together yesterday surely thats the whole squad as close contacts now. Game has no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I find it quite amusing that it's the French, whose government demanded strict protocols from the UK and Irish teams before allowing France to play them, who are the ones with the major outbreak after mixing their bubble with the French 7s squad.

Le goose is cooked now
    They are all close contacts now as mentioned above so game will have to be postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Will game be postponed or will Scotland get a 28-0 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

CONSI wrote: »
    Will game be postponed or will Scotland get a 28-0 win

I'm fairly sure it'll be postponed.

I'm fairly sure it'll be postponed.

Bernard Jackman reporting that game has been postponed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This could get messy, will French and English clubs willingly release players for next weekend? I'd feel aggrieved if I was Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This could get messy, will French and English clubs willingly release players for next weekend? I'd feel aggrieved if I was Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder when it will get rescheduled to so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pudsy33 wrote: »

They would have to release them for a test match IIRC but Scotland would have to pay them for their release as it's not part of the international window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's officially off now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Balls

Ah thats a dose but inevitable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zzippy wrote: »
    They would have to release them for a test match IIRC but Scotland would have to pay them for their release as it's not part of the international window.

I don't think its quite so clear cut
    (ii) The Northern Hemisphere Release Period shall operate each year. It shall run from the first weekend of February each year and conclude on the third weekend of March. Players shall be released prior to the Northern Hemisphere Release Period in accordance with the provisions of Regulation 9.9.

(iii) Subject to the provisions of Regulation 9.32 and Regulation 9.33, during the Northern Hemisphere Release Period Unions may only exercise the Right to Release pursuant to this Regulation 9 for five weeks out of the seven week period. The five weeks shall be the same weeks for each of the senior National Representative Team, the next senior National Representative Team and the Under 20 National Representative Team.

(iv) Unless Council approves otherwise for the purposes of this Regulation 9, Northern Hemisphere Union shall mean the Unions listed in Appendix 1, Part A and Northern Hemisphere International Match(es), International Tour or International Tournament shall mean those Matches, Tours or Tournaments listed as such in Appendix 1, Part B.

I suspect WR will simply mandate it as part of the international period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think its quite so clear cut

I suspect WR will simply mandate it as part of the international period.

Technically Scotland can release players back to the clubs for this weekend and still only be calling them up for 5 out of the 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Wales team to face England

Liam Williams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Jonathan Davies, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Kieran Hardy; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Rhodri Jones, Leon Brown, Cory Hill, James Botham, Gareth Davies, Callum Sheedy, Willis Halaholo.

Not quite the line-up I'd have gone for .... but going in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Technically Scotland can release players back to the clubs for this weekend and still only be calling them up for 5 out of the 7 weeks.

Yeah exactly. Would have been easier if it was postponed earlier in the week, but if they released them all today then they can just call next week the international period I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Liam Williams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Jonathan Davies, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Kieran Hardy; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Rhodri Jones, Leon Brown, Cory Hill, James Botham, Gareth Davies, Callum Sheedy, Willis Halaholo.

That's a pretty tasty back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure I've ever even heard of Kieran Hardy. What ever happened to that 12 year old who was starting at 9 for Dragons in a string of matches a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Eod100 wrote: »

In 2001, we rescheduled Six Nations games from March to October because of a disease that doesn't even affect humans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In 2001, we rescheduled Six Nations games from March to October because of a disease that doesn't even affect humans.
    Yeah, July's not that big a deal. Only last year we postponed 5 games from March to November for the very same disease that cancelled this one. Never min back in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Even the French don't think they Lions tour is happening

Yeah, but if France are back playing in 2 weeks then it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And it cost us the grand slam, An on form Irish team would almost certainly have beaten Scotland if we played them in the normal 6 nations schedule (Scotland almost lost to Italy at home that year), A rusty Irish team lost away to Scotland in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I wouldn't change any of these for an English match.
    What change would you make? Sheedy & GDavies?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I wouldn't change any of these for an English match.
    What change would you make? Sheedy & GDavies?
    The pack is fine ......

In the backs i would have started Sheedy, Johnny Williams & Halaholo. Put North back on the wing. Biggar & Adams on the bench.

Jon Davies is lucky to get back in. Needs to perform.

These players brought home the bacon in Murrayfield. The more established players need to understand they don't automatically get back in ......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even the French don't think they Lions tour is happening

Neither team is involved in that tour so it doesn't affect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

suspension of 4 weeks remains for Z Fagerson, but the games that the ban covers altered - now taking in Glasgow matches with Ulster + Zebre + Scotlandteam matches with France + Ireland

Neither team is involved in that tour so it doesn't affect them.

Nope, but there's at least 6 Scottish players that would expect to be in the Lions squad... can't really expect Scotland to play France with the spine ripped from their team

suspension of 4 weeks remains for Z Fagerson, but the games that the ban covers altered - now taking in Glasgow matches with Ulster + Zebre + Scotlandteam matches with France + Ireland

Does this mean Ireland missed a trick? In theory POM could've been available for last weekends game, but I don't think it was counted towards the ban?

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Does this mean Ireland missed a trick? In theory POM could've been available for last weekends game, but I don't think it was counted towards the ban?

POM's ban didn't include Munster games.... Fagersons ban includes club and international games ...it's a complete coin toss at times

Eddie Jones being Eddie Jones:

Jones puts England players on alert for Welsh mind games

Given the situation with Marler last year, this is the stand-out line:
    "At times [AWJ] has targeted players in our team. We've spoken about him and we understand what he'll be trying to do. It's just about making sure we maintain our composure and our control.

Forgot to update my team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wales are gonna win a Grand Slam aren't they? :(

Eugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Was England's discipline that poor, or was the officiating shyte? I can't understand how a top international side can repeat the same penalties over and over. I counted 4? for Itoje. It's beyond shocking.

Also, the regions in Wales form means nothing atm. I know Wales have lady luck with them, but they played fairly well today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Was England's discipline that poor, or was the officiating shyte? I can't understand how a top international side can repeat the same penalties over and over. I counted 4? for Itoje. It's beyond shocking.

Also, the regions in Wales form means nothing atm. I know Wales have lady luck with them, but they played fairly well today.

Refereeing wasn't great tbh but England discipline was very poor and they were deservedly beaten by a Welsh side that was clinical. Pivac's decisions re using the bench were inspired as they had been vs Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I wonder if Jones will buckle and call up the form players in the Premiership or stick with his favourites. Stubbornness or Pragmatism.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OldRio wrote: »
    I wonder if Jones will buckle and call up the form players in the Premiership or stick with his favourites. Stubbornness or Pragmatism.

Interesting times.

I remember he was being lauded for being ruthless and casting aside players based entirely on form. Amazing how things change

Another thought. The officiating of this year's tournament is probably the worst I've seen in many many years.

I remember he was being lauded for being ruthless and casting aside players based entirely on form. Amazing how things change

I read some crazy Stát about the huge number of players that got only one cap and then never seen again.
    Maybe all coaches after a time go back to what has worked for them before. (A comfy blanket of sorts)

The English press will have the knives out that's for sure

OldRio wrote: »
    I read some crazy Stát about the huge number of players that got only one cap and then never seen again.
    Maybe all coaches after a time go back to what has worked for them before. (A comfy blanket of sorts)

The English press will have the knives out that's for sure

Jones has finished 5th in 2018 and then got them to a RWC Final in 2019. The knives will be out, but I can’t imagine they’ll change coach before 2023, he deserves some benefit of the doubt, imo. Will be interesting to see what he does selection-wise, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

What was the best Italy team in 6N?

hahashake wrote: »

Surely 2013 is up there. Front row of Lo Cicero, Ghiraldini and Castrogiovanni, prime Parisse, Masi at fullback and even Venditti on the wing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »

The very first one in 2000 in my opinion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Six_Nations_Championship_squads

Troncon, dominguez, bergamasco, mazzi,

Beat Scotland well and put 31 points up on France in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

A shame that they have been whipping boys for a while, I know rugby is a minor sport there but they have a large population and it is fairly popular in the northeast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement