Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mimon wrote: »

15- 18 degrees all the way to May with low to mid 20's after that until the end of September please.
    That doesn't happen in Ireland, a six month summer has never happened and isn't going to happen.
    Severe frost in early April is quite common, today we are only ten days beyond the equinox so nights are still relatively long. A severe frost in late April is rare and can be very damaging to plants and vegetation but nature can easily recover from an early April severe frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

km79 wrote: »
    What the hell is going on ?

Great day in the West. Washed both the cars . Not that they will be going anywhere but they look nice now :)

Ditto here in Cavan. It was a bit hazy early on but turned out to be a glorious afternoon and evening.
    I'll not begrudge anyone their snow but seeing the countryside alive with the good weather i wont shed a tear if it doesn't materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Yes back to the weather
    I see Cecilia Daly on BBC NI weather a few minutes ago has a max temp in Belfast of 7c on monday
    That wouldnt be too cold
    I hope she's right!

Max temps would be around that alright but consider that dewpoints will be low and winds are likely to be strong so the 'feels like' temperature will be brutishly lower, especially in exposed northern regions. If this flow was slacker then we would have better opportunity for some big inland convection which would be (to me at least) a more interesting talking point.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

As good as it gets here in Kerry today. Got up to 17.2C at my site and currently 7.2C and calm from around the early afternoon and it has been practically cloud free since. I could see the difference in the growth since early this morning in the hedgerows and in my garden when I came home this evening, lovely green hue appearing now in the trees.
    Timing not great with the upcoming cold spell and the new leaves will no doubt get scorched but out here near the coast if it is not the cold it is salty gales in off the Atlantic but the trees are normally resilient and have seen them recover a battering in time.

Looks cooler and cloudy for here tomorrow and damp but good warm temps again on Thurs and bit lower Fri and Sat, looking like a good dry spell up till later Sunday. Doing tons of jobs outside lately and looking like a great opportunity for the rest of the week especially with the extra hour in the evenings, was putting down a few blocks after 20.00 tonight with my wife holding the torch near 21.00 so I could point the last few !

NASA EOSDIS today.

lmwUz9O.png?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

:D:D:D

Yes back to the weather
    I see Cecilia Daly on BBC NI weather a few minutes ago has a max temp in Belfast of 7c on monday
    That wouldnt be too cold
    I hope she's right!

Belfast is usually one of the milder places in NI in a NW or N flow, as showers don't usually make it to that area.

GFS says 2c for here, Met office and others say 4/5c max. Based on what we saw on Sunday, I would imagine temps will drop substantially in any snow showers as the freezing level above the PBL will be very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cloud formations in the sky right now. Roughly east/south east of athlone if anyone is in the vicinity to look. They look like really thick contrails running in a north/south direction which is a direction planes dont fly in this neck of the wood and they are illuminated against a clear sky. Cant be nocilucent clouds as they are in the wrong part of the sky from where I normally see noctilucents.

Sky is other wise completely clear apart from these clouds. Maybe they are just normal thin clouds being illuminated by the rising moon ?

A look back at the 850 temp for April 1st 1917 chart when the biggest snow storm of the 20th century hit.

ERA_1_1917040106_2.png

There must have been a serious trough imbedded in that particular flow.

https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2017/08/HeavySnows1917.pdf

New Moon

Rikand wrote: »
    Cloud formations in the sky right now. Roughly east/south east of athlone if anyone is in the vicinity to look. They look like really thick contrails running in a north/south direction which is a direction planes dont fly in this neck of the wood and they are illuminated against a clear sky. Cant be nocilucent clouds as they are in the wrong part of the sky from where I normally see noctilucents.

Sky is other wise completely clear apart from these clouds. Maybe they are just normal thin clouds being illuminated by the rising moon ?

Clear here (NE Galway) until after sunset then a broad bank very low cloud, bordering on fog, rolled in. Don't know what is causing the roll effect near you but must the front edge of that same cloud bank.

New Moon

Looking at the charts it's almost as if the polar vortex has relocated from eastern North America to the Mid Atlantic, cold air is gone from North America in this run, or pushed far north.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Belfast is usually one of the milder places in NI in a NW or N flow, as showers don't usually make it to that area.

GFS says 2c for here, Met office and others say 4/5c max. Based on what we saw on Sunday, I would imagine temps will drop substantially in any snow showers as the freezing level above the PBL will be very low.

I'd be quite happy to see Belfast or Antrim reach those kind of levels (7ish celcius)as there would be some hope of similar down here
    Basically not a severe cold spell

• Advertisement

I'd be quite happy to see Belfast or Antrim reach those kind of levels (7ish celcius)as there would be some hope of similar down here
    Basically not a severe cold spell

I think the maxima will be revised. If the GFS is to be believed temps will struggle to exceed 2c or 3c, with freezing levels of <300 metres during the day!

xXJiv19.png

FZ3n0aP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

100% overcast in Letterkenny again. At least it was dry and calmer so nice evening for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    No thanks praying it comes... one last blast of winter thanks.

No way, it can keep away. Not welcome.

Lol Davis forecasts a high of 2.8c for my station on Monday! That would be exceptionally cold for April!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Misty morning first thing and now drizzle. Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Quite a nice morning in Dublin l, calm and bright enough. Yesterday was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark wet morning here in Castlebar and feeling cold to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

That doesn't happen in Ireland, a six month summer has never happened and isn't going to happen.
    Severe frost in early April is quite common, today we are only ten days beyond the equinox so nights are still relatively long. A severe frost in late April is rare and can be very damaging to plants and vegetation but nature can easily recover from an early April severe frost.

I'm well aware of that! Jeez. It was what I want, never mentioned whether that I thought that it was realistic or not!

What do you do in your spare time? Telling 4 year olds that Santa doesn't exist? :)

I think we had two frosts here in May last year getting down to -2c

Netweather is very confusing. A few talking about eastward movement and downgrades?

Must be in their backyard. The cold spell is still very much on, with Monday now being -10c 850hPa on the 6z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another very pleasant spring day with good spells of sunshine now. 16°

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

9.2mm of rain so far in Markree today. and 8.5mm in my own raincup in Sligo

Was only expecting 1 or 2mm from this

Radar over the last 8 hours or so:

eUtF6OZ.gif

Rain looks to be running in a rapid SW to NE line yet the wind here is zero and the clouds, at least at the lower levels, are motionless all day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in Cork City. Warm in the sunshine!

Only 9c here, weird to see that some have had sunshine this week. Best we had was sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Needless to say another cloudy murky day in Letterkenny, good riddance to that month. Forecast on my phone showing sun tomorrow and Friday so April might have more sunshine in the first few days than we've managed in this entire month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Needless to say another cloudy murky day in Letterkenny, good riddance to that month. Forecast on my phone showing sun tomorrow and Friday so April might have more sunshine in the first few days than we've managed in this entire month

You've been unlucky. There have been some beautiful days in Dublin this month.

Like today, a lot of the forecast cloudy days turned out to be sunny. It's often the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have been so lucky in Dublin over the last few days, weather has been unreal.

Looks like it's all change tomorrow and Munster/West will benefit from good weather. According to Met Eureann it will reach 18 or even 19 degrees.

In contrast only about 11 or 12 in East but still dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    You've been unlucky. There have been some beautiful days in Dublin this month.

Like today, a lot of the forecast cloudy days turned out to be sunny. It's often the opposite.

Have certainly noticed this, especially the third week when it was forecast to be anticyclonic gloom after the Tuesday but each day had nice sunny spells for a while.

As you say, it's more often than not the opposite with good sunshine forecasted but we get some annoying low cloud or thick haze/high cloud ruining it.

From the limited data I have on March, it has been an average to very slightly sunnier than average month for Dublin but below average for most. Haven't had a relatively dull month now since the record dull August (and summer..) but none of them have been exceptionally sunny either.

March was good but not one to remember, often very boring just like most months since 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dull and a bit chilly compared to recent days in Dublin, but can't complain after the fabulous weather we have had!

Advertisement