Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A gray wind battering. Back to hibernation. But not cold; at least not cold.

curate's egg time

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day in Meath, doesn't feel as chilly as the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    lovely day in Meath, doesn't feel as chilly as the past few days.

There’s a fair chill in Dublin by the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Breezy partly cloudy today cool as well. About 11 degrees with a brisk southerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lovely day in Dublin, but I’m tired of the low temps, chill in the air still. Really hoping for improvements as we approach May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

KungPao wrote: »
    Lovely day in Dublin, but I’m tired of the low temps, chill in the air still. Really hoping for improvements as we approach May.

Today was a mad day in Dublin. We were in Newbridge Park in Donabate which is not far from coast and it was lovely and sunny but freezing at times in very strong breeze.

I was in a jacket and cold at times yet other people in shorts and tshirts! You could see they were cold some people had picnic blankets wrapped around them. I know it's sunny but come on 11 degrees is not warm!

Now we did find one place that was sheltered and warm but that was it and with kids in tow you can't stay in one place for long!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

We had a relatively bright morning in Central Mayo earlier today. Had been longing for a bit of sea air over the past
    few months so headed for Bertra Strand under the watchful presence of Croagh Patrick. Cloud started to readily build ahead of this evening's weather front but it still felt quiet pleasant in the occasional sunny break. It certainly was lovely to sense that salty air again.
    Turned into a cool and murky evening with rain building from the west. Was certainly not so pleasant then!

Moody skies and the ever changing Atlantic light in Clew Bay earlier this afternoon.

550514.jpg

550515.jpg

550516.jpg

550517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely, and a great example of the cloud type known as 'Stratocumulus stratiformis opacus'

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Amazing pictures goldfinch.

Well today is overcast and a bit drizzly here in NCD.

A perfect excuse for a lazy day at home after a mad busy week in work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

appledrop wrote: »
    Amazing pictures goldfinch.

+1. Stunning photos. The colours and contrasts are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Thank you most sincerely for your kind and generous comments folks.
    To be honest, I feel quite fortunate to have got those pictures. Firstly, I consider myself quite lucky to live near such beautiful scenery on our west coast.
    Secondly, the light was quite amazing yesterday as there was plenty of cloud about as you can see by the photos, but every now and then a gap opened up to let a few shortlived spells of lovely sunshine through.
    My favourite photos like some of those above were generally taken when there were fleeting sunny breaks of sunshine in the foreground along the beach. This then contrasted with the darker and more foreboding skies in the distance. Throw in the dark silhouettes of the mountains way off in the distance and the aquamarine of the shallower coastal waters and for me, the Irish coastline got a chance to reveal one of it's more beautiful moods.
    I am glad that I did not leave it until today to go to the beach however because the cloud is nearly down to the ground in these parts now and it is cool, misty and very grey.

Below, one last picture from Bertra Strand yesterday.

attachment.php?attachmentid=550604&stc=1&d=1618764022

Headed to the Waterford coast today. Overcast windy and cold but nice to be out and about again. Yes it wasn’t my own county but there was plenty more than me “breaking the rules”!

It was clod enough feeling here on the East/SE coast today but a nice evening,bright some blue sky
    No sign of much needed rain (never thought I'd hear myself say that again)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Very small rainfall totals in the Dublin/Meath/Kildare area today. Just enough to wet the grass but not enough to dissolve the Evergreen I sprinkled on it during the week.

Casement - 0.4 mm
    Dunsany - 0.6 mm
    Phoenix Park - 0.9 mm
    Dublin Airport - 1.2 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle nearly all day in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great photos goldfinch. I have climbed Croagh Patrick so many times but I have only gone to that beach once. I will rectify that soon.

I noticed something funny this weekend. Friends that live beside the sea headed to the Connemara mountains and friends that live well inland from the sea headed for the beaches.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

That turned out a better day than i was expecting, overcast but dry and with little or no breeze it didn't feel anyway cold.
    8c now but feels quite mild as its dead calm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Very small rainfall totals in the Dublin/Meath/Kildare area today. Just enough to wet the grass but not enough to dissolve the Evergreen I sprinkled on it during the week.

Casement - 0.4 mm
    Dunsany - 0.6 mm
    Phoenix Park - 0.9 mm
    Dublin Airport - 1.2 mm

Castlederg had the highest total in the North. 8.8mm
    Newport furnace highest M.E Station 8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had 16mm of rain over the 2 days Saturday and Sunday in Sligo town.

Raining more today

Many times been swimmin in Bertra. A grand beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

No shortage of rain up here either, not a lot in daily totals but very few dry days. Raining again now

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Raining for the first time in what feels like ages here in cork city. Very light rain mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Farming commentary

Field Conditions
    Field conditions are good over the bulk of the country, with good trafficability. However, poorly drained soils in northwest coastal areas are saturated and will deteriorate further over the next couple of days, improving a little from midweek. Moderately drained soils in these areas will also become saturated by Monday, but will improve again from midweek. However, elsewhere soils will remain drier, even very dry in the southeast, with good trafficability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle all morning changed to rain about midday.
    Ground is very wet.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unreal the difference east to west, I'll be watering the plants and veggie patch again this evening after work. Noticing the grass here starting to go yellow. Was digging in the garden yesterday and the top 5cm or so was like dust, utterly bone dry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

similar enough here in Meath, ground is hard as a rock and cracks beginning to appear in the soil. Very similar to last Spring.

jackrussel wrote: »
    Raining for the first time in what feels like ages here in cork city. Very light rain mind.

Haven't seen rain in ages. It's been so dry for the last month or so.

Rain is a bit steadier now but far from heavy. At least I won't have to water the garden for a few days...

Dirty dreary evening here raining steady since a about 3 pm. Looking forward to that nice weather forecast from mid week and hopefully a bit milder.

Casement - 0.4 mm
    Dunsany - 0.6 mm
    Phoenix Park - 0.9 mm
    Dublin Airport - 1.2 mm

Nothing down my way
    A fine day with milky sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sun2Snow

North Wexford.

Another dry beautiful day here. It hasn’t rained in yonks. Ground is bone dry, rock hard and cracking. Might need to water the new grass seed 😱

Advertisement