Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That is some temp difference in the south west - 20c and 14c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beautiful sunshine in Howth all day but it was fairly nippy in wind especially this morning but fab for April.

You needed your wind breaker jacket for pier walk especially on upper level.

The wind did die down later but I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting really old.

It was only 14 degrees but some people going around dressed for middle of summer!

Actually it was a real contrast. It was like those of us who are used to being at sea all year round were dressed in layers properly for weather/wind but day trippers obviously seen weather forecast of 20 degrees and dressed for that but east coast only got to about 14 and sea breeze brought that down further.

Ah well it was still a brilliant day and stunningly beautiful despite good bit of mist at Bailey Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Please let there be no wind today. It’s ruined the sunshine down here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of 20.4°c in West Clare yesterday, fantastic few days of weather. 12.6°c here now and warming up quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

jackrussel wrote: »
    Please let there be no wind today. It’s ruined the sunshine down here

Already windy here from the off in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

No wind but cold under a blanket of cloud here in South Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What is the water situation like? seems a bit like last year with not much in the way of rain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolute cracker today... down on the Beara it was a bit misty, and the same on Knockaboy, Corks County Top. The sun wasn't THAT strong compared to other days but it was warm.

Max gust of 68kmh at my station in Cobh, absolutely flaying wind out there. Ruining this whole nice spell.

10 minute average windspeed this morning 14.8kmh, currently gusting 25kmh. Daily gust so far today of 50kmh. This wind is an absolute bastard and is completely ruining this nice spell here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

As of yestrerday, the national mean rainfall anomaly for the country as a whole is standing at 27% (compared to the entire month average. A few showers likely to break out here and there before the end of the month but looking likely that many areas will finish with an pretty dry April 2021. The wettest station (of the reporting Met Eireann ones) so far is Markee Castle on 41mm while Johnstown Castle (that's two castles mentioned) remains the driest with just 2.7mm accumulated for the month so far.

Datos: Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

14 air frosts now at Castlederg for the month of April. There's a chance April could end up as the month with the most air frosts recorded for this season. January had 15. I wonder has that ever happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This Spring feels like a near copy of last season at this stage - bright, cool, and very dry overall. Last summer was pretty rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Doesn't feel as pleasantly warm here as yesterday which is probably down to the spread out contrails that have infested the sky since morning which have been swallowed up by more general cirrus cloud in the last hour or two. And that breeze...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

10 minute average windspeed this morning 14.8kmh, currently gusting 25kmh. Daily gust so far today of 50kmh. This wind is an absolute bastard and is completely ruining this nice spell here.

Gust of 71.6kmh at 11am. Fed up with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    14 air frosts now at Castlederg for the month of April. There's a chance April could end up as the month with the most air frosts recorded for this season. January had 15. I wonder has that ever happened before.

Equally as strange Dublin Airport is almost guaranteed to end up colder than either Feb and March which almost seems unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glorious sun and the breeze is warm and delicious. Ocean ashine.

( not seen much of it first hand as the pollen count is very high and I am ill with severe hay fever etc. ).

But utterly lovely … Love it out here more each year.

Lovely too to read so much pleasure..

Speckle; they are forecasting showers tomorrow. Please, kind folk, forgive a divergence but I lived on the edge of the National Park in Killarney for years and will never forget the early mornings I went outside to see I was all but surrounded by fires. This is all terrible )

Will try to get photos early tomorrow. Oh I was reading re a pink moon soon?

Enjoy the evening!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

High of only 13.4°c here in Kildare because of that very strong breeze.

Stunning weekend finished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Another stunning day in Kerry getting up to 20 C at my site, not a cloud in the sky and such a clear beautiful sky tonight again, just had to take another pic of the moon about an hour ago, so clear with low Relative Humidity at 66% and a temp of 9.7C.

BgHHXsP.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max:

Newport Co.Mayo 19.6 degrees
    Belmullet 19.5
    Shannon 18.8
    Mace head 18.6
    Mount Dillon 18.3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Todays max:

Newport Co.Mayo 19.6 degrees
    Belmullet 19.5
    Shannon 18.8
    Mace head 18.6
    Mount Dillon 18.3

Meanwhile it only reached 11 degrees at DA due to very strong winds.

I made right choice today to stay at home as felt warmer in sun in sheltered back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Great day again today, more cloud than yesterday but just some fair weather cumulus that rarely blocked out the sun. No sign of the wind all weekend that everyone's been complaining about either.

Some nice vistas on a drive out through Glenveagh NP earlier

IMG-20210425-153504.jpg

IMG-20210425-154222.jpg

• Advertisement

A fantastic weekend of weather, heres one from the Mayo/Sligo border

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record

NASA Sat Pic from today.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

eo28Dq9.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Another lovely day here again if a little hazy at times, very warm sheltered from the breeze.
    It felt noticeably cooler after 6pm, currently 1c now with a nice white frost on the car roof.
    rhdr.jpg

There was a nice sun halo for a while on Friday and a lovely sunset that evening.
    IMG-20210423-140028.jpg
    hdr-vivi.jpg

@lolie the 2 aircraft in your photo are an Air Canada 777 reg C-FIVM and an American Airlines 777 reg N751AN

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A beautiful weekend of weather here in the West with two particularly magical spring evenings.

Evening light lingers in the western sky. Sun 21.46hrs
    attachment.php?attachmentid=551390&stc=1&d=1619394566

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Freezing at Dublin Airport and 5c at Casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

@lolie the 2 aircraft in your photo are an Air Canada 777 reg C-FIVM and an American Airlines 777 reg N751AN

I looked them up on flightradar at the time, both from Frankfurt a few minutes apart heading to Toronto and Chicago iirc.
    Two aircraft side by side a rare thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Freezing at Dublin Airport and 5c at Casement.

Night time temps at Dublin Airport under calm conditions fall rapidly after dark and it’s often one of the coldest stations in the country strangely. I’ve seen a 7 temp difference between Casement/PP and DA a few times over the years.

DA is on course to have a colder April than even February at this rate.

I find it so unusual that it gets kept so cool by the sea breeze during the day but rarely at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Enjoyable weekend weather. A dry month so far, only about 1/2" rain here so far. I don't like dry Aprils they tend to be followed by poor summer though. Hopefully not this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Is today going to be the day where it’s not windy in cork city?

Advertisement