Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I hope you stayed nice and cosy indoors with your hot cocoa reading a book by the fire, while maybe dancing around the kitchen when tubridy played some music....and maybe shed a tear or two when tubridy pulled out a sob story.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

havnt listened to him in ages but sounds like the usual sh1te talk from Bryan is still very much in full effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nope, it’s gotten worse and even more self-indulgent if you can believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

That's right Pie. Here are some of RTE's responses to complaints about freebies:

"The fact is the product samples sent in by [XXX] remain untouched in RTÉ to this day. This product and several other product samples that were sent into the office are either returned or sent, when appropriate opportunities arise, to various charities for use as they see fit".

This reply doesn't make sense because they say the gift remains untouched in RTE and then they also say it was returned to sender/re-donated to charity. It's also not clear which charities they claim to forward gifts to and it's not clear if there's an official record kept of such donations.

Regarding a vinyl that he once solicited on air for his own collection, RTE said:

"he specifically asked if any listener knew of a charity shop where he could get this or if any listener was willing to sell it [...] the vinyl record was returned to the sender"

In other words, because Ryan made an insincere offer to pay for a vinyl, RTE says it's OK for him to request it. They don't care that such requests normalise gifting. They also don't mind if personal requests are made alongside official campaigns promoting local businesses (meaning that it all becomes very confusing - are the gifts part of some RTE campaign to promote Irish business or are they just sending Tubridy in stuff for his personal use?).

Even if Tubridy paid for the vinyl, he shouldn't be allowed to use the show as a platform for personal financial transactions. RTE is pretty much arguing that it's grand for him to use the radio show in this way yet at the same time they feel the need to confirm that they returned the vinyl to the sender. A very confusing load of búllshit.  

The whole show seems to be a vehicle for him to satisfy himself however he sees fit.

The free McCartney gig is said in a joking sort of way but it's a real insight into the way he operates. Such a "joke" only occurred to him because he has freebies on the brain constantly. And randomly reminding the audience about the date of his birthday two months in advance is pathetic behaviour.

As a few posters pointed out, the hints about the Aran jumper were shameless. "Hugh Jackman has praised the work of the Inishmaan Knitting Company, which I was about to buy something from recently but I got called away but they have lovely stuff".

Called away from buying a jumper. He'd sicken the shíte outta ya.

The neck on him to say to people not to turn up at a public amenity.....i hope the whole country turns up and asks you for a selfie tubridy....

You arrogant, entitled #$%@........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement

Most importantly for Tubs, a FREE fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Give me free tickets, Paul!

You can do it right now, PLEEEEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A rucksack would be better suited for walking than a briefcase, Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm trying to imagine how he was actually togged out when he went for that climb previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What the fudge is this. I am sorry for Charlie Bird and what is happening him. But he was a fairly shite journalist on RTE for years. Who rode the gravey train.

He went to Washington and it showed how poor a journalist he actually was. When he came back. RTE gave him a free hand to make anything he wanted. They were all panned. He made a documentary about the Antarctic that was f.u.c.k.i.n.g awful.

Is Bird just the country's sacrafical sickman. RTE just wheel him out when ever they want a few tears.

This is a farce and boarding on the hysterical

I don't understand all the fawning. The children's song calling him a hero.

Lots of people have terminal illness. This is ridiculous.

Wtf

I don't understand anything that goes on with this show.

Yesterday they had a woman speak for 30 minutes about being blind. And going about her life. Not premoting anything. Just like two people on the bus having a chat.

The day before they had a crises expert talking about her job. But cut her short to have an Irish volunteer. Who does something similar but has never actually been involved with anything the expert deals with. BUT did sit next to someone who was involved with the German wings show.

What is the point of this show. Who is it aimed at? It's inane chit chat and prattle. A millionaire asking for freebies and gifts in exchange for getting a free mention on the show. With a designated sick man and sick woman. Who they reference at least once a week to try and elcit some tears. Fup this sh1t. I am out

• Advertisement

This is literally what Tubs thinks "Sports Casual" means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know, but sure it's true. And I am sick of pretending it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In your opinion.

Lot's of people would disagree with your harsh assessment of his career.

TBH it's a bit like kicking a man when he's down.

That's fair, and if you can give me some examples of him excelling as a journalist I'd love to see them.

I'm not trying to kick him while he is down. I stating out a fact.

I find it distrubing that again we have a very sick man who is being exploited by people within RTE.

If I remember correctly after his illness became public Joe Duffy asked him if he was in pain and if he was afraid to die. And seemed to be disappointed that he couldn't make Bird cry on air.

It's disgusting

This will probably go behind a paywall if I post the Irish Times link.

National Media Award Winners For 1998

Sat, Oct 24, 1998, 01:00

Journalist of the Year

Mr Charlie Bird and Mr George Lee of RTE.

And from The Independent.

College to honour broadcaster Dr Bird

Alison O'ConnorPolitical Correspondent

October 04 2004 12:11 AM

HE may have failed his Leaving Certificate but from the beginning of November journalist Charlie Bird will be entitled to be addressed as doctor.

RTE's chief news correspondent, and one of the station's best known broadcasters, is to receive an honorary doctorate from UCD.

As part of its 150th anniversary celebrations the University has organised a special ceremony for the awarding of up to 12 honorary doctorates on November 3, to be given to people from all different sections of society.

It's understood that Charlie Bird, the station's highest-earning news reporter at ?122,000, thought the prospect of the award was a joke when he first heard of it.

But UCD, which has a new president Hugh Brady, wishes to recognise the contribution the Dubliner has made to journalism with numerous scoops over the years, most recently the AIB overcharging scandals.

The broadcaster lives in Ashford, Co Wicklow, where relaxing hillwalks offer him refuge from a job that consumes him.

He is separated with two adult daughters and describes himself as shy, a loner, workaholic and an outsider and "not much good at dinner parties".

• Advertisement

I had something here. But it's not the place to discuss the merits of Bird.

But I am sure we can all agree what is going on here is disgusting. Bird is being wheeled out and his illness and condition presented to us as light entertainment.

Tube frequently does this. We have seen tbis before with Vicky Phelan and Adam King.

It's fu.ck.in.g disgusting

You would not make much of a journalist yourself, if you approach a subject thinking that there is universal agreement with your own point of view.

Even on an internet forum, it is an arrogant attitude.

• Advertisement

When I last mentioned on boards that Phelan was somewhat shall we say "overexposed" I incurred the wrath of an ex-mod who failed to see that you can sympathize and empathize with someone, but also comment on the wider exploitation of them and their illness by the media at large, but particularly by certain cohorts of RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Have to agree with this. Rte love an ole Illness, especially if you will go in to minute details of the illness and what is going to happen to you.

I've respect for Charlie and the normal people who are helping but the cnuts like tubs , Henry and other rte types who will be all over social media pretending that I'm doing this for Charlie, while loving the pats on the back they will be giving themselves.

All these hanger ONS i wonder how many were even in touch with Charlie, as they are now making out they were his best friend

I have a lot or sympathy for Adam King, Charlie Bird and Vicky Phelan. But their personal life should be personal. It not inspirational, it's tragic. Its not suitable for a national broadcaster to take their tragedy and to present it to us as entertainment.

To be fair to the 2 adults you mention, if they didn't want to be on TV and radio so often, they could simply say no.

But I am guessing they know they are terminal, and have decided to try to use some of their remaining time to highlight issues and raise some money for good causes at the same time.

Rte absolutely love a bit of misery, so there is no shock at all in them having Charlie and Vicky on air so often. It's what they do.

• Ye should enjoy this 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Does NK stand for North Korea rather than Noel Kelly? I only ask because the Pyongyang Examiner would consider an article like that a step too far.

That article is a day late for an April Fool.....

"Beloved"

Fùck me........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Only Tubs and Joe Duffy coukd turn this event into something about themselves. Crassness and Vulgarity alive and kicking in Montrosia 😳

Beloved 🙄, Trademark Kindness 😳 I actually thought the article a Waterford whispers piece 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Nice video doing the rounds of our Ryan holding hands with Charlie at the top of CP as the band plays.

All very emotional stuff. I get the feeling the riffin on Monday is going to last most of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give that a miss 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Tubridy is shameless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Aakanksha Surve eh. Looks like Noel Kelly made sure it was someone that didn't look like us that said "Beloved broadcaster..." in an attempt to make the nations favourite racist broadcaster not look like a racist. Well done done Noel, well done, well done.

Seems now that it's actually a spoof/parody/whatever.

That said, any perusal of the usual throwaway aggregators (CorkBeo, Evoke etc.) will throw up similar content, with almost as many typos, and just as much gushing praise.

• OK Confession time!

Working on my eye phone I have an extension where I can view the source code. I perused various websites having googled Ryan Tubridy to find a page of short enough code for the memory of my phone, and my memory too, where I could alter with the app JavaScript Anywhere. Most news websites have an awful lot of code. I found one within reason and I made an edit, displayed the result and took a screenshot of it. Believe nothing you see on de internet.

Coming back to earth for a bit, by Christ he is, one pic of many from the Twitter machine today. The boy in the bubble.

What is it with the pointing?

Suspect there will be another LLS special this coming Friday.

A handy way to grab some visual attention while pretending you don't want any.

Beloved of political candidates everywhere. Not suggesting he could ever be one-he hasn't the backbone.

• Advertisement

Front and centre and absolutely loving it.

Fair play to Charlie though. Nothing but respect for the man.

Advertisement