Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

Wise move... It would only upset you 😂

Harious that it started as a joke... And is in fact true!

No question that he climbed the mountain, he bragged non stop about it on his Instagram stories... But if he couldn't make it on time due to shoe commitments he should have climbed locally and for those people that do like him he could have provided a great buzz in another location without adding to his ever growing carbon footprint.... Which he clearly doesn't care about. We are just 3 months into the new year and already he has flown to New York, Paris and Mayo and enjoys his weekends away in the west driving his gas guzzling vintage jaguar. I'd be content to say leave him at it if he wasn't in such a public role but it's gone beyond a joke now his preaching to us about, environmental issues, sustainability and money saving...

Please give us a credible media role model that practises even a little of what they preach. I dont think these are unreasonable things to say but he would probably say that these thoughts are not kind or delicious or what ever other few limited adjectives he has in his nursery book vocabulary.

• A 30 minute flying lesson in an “inexpensive” 2 seat Robinson 22 helicopter costs about €250-€300 minimum. The chopper shown in that picture is a substantial beast, and for an hour’s (+) flight there and again back (pilot has to ferry it back to Weston) would cost thousands, even with pilot possibly donating his expertise for the charity, or company waving most profit over running costs. Pocket money for Tubridy of course, but you can bet he didn’t pay for the expenses out of his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well said 👏, it's just extraordinary, even by Turbidy's standards

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

What really rattles my cage while reading this thread are the number of posters with absolutely nothing constructive to say.

RT got the ball rolling for this charity event.

He kept the ball rolling by promoting it at every opportunity on his shows.

Without him the event would not have happened.

He deserves a hell of a lot of praise

i cannot understand why you do not like him.

He’s a good guy and I will leave it at that

Yes, quite the flying machine. Sickening... But no disrespect to the guys providing the service, in fairness they were probably trying to be decent but Tubridy was not needed there, have we learned nothing during the lockdowns. The fuel costs should have gone to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The oul helicopters bring out the worst in some people.

I remember being at a funeral some time ago when a helicopter landed in a field near the cemetery.

The word went around that it was there to collect the local government minister who had made his usual ostentatious entrance in the church earlier.

The truth was that it was for a big time developer from Dublin who was a personal friend of the deceased.

To this day the now retired minister is still remembered by many locals as the show off in the chopper.

I have no idea who or what you are.

But what I do known is that I am not the odd ball here.

Are you in fact Ryan Tubridy, as you seem to be unnecessarily pointing fingers?

I signed in to make some very accurate observations from the happeings of the weekend.

You just might be the oddball if you take exception to someone posting 100% solid facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard him hinting on one of his radio shows of late how it was going to be tight to present the LLS, get to his bed, sleep, get up and make it to CP in time for the climb.

He neglected to say he was getting a lift in a helicopter. Perhaps he didn't know at that time, but I doubt it.

Hmm, interesting your referring to the major Hack on this site 🤔, want to tell us more 😏

Off with your silliness 🙄

Even if the helicopter company wanted to take part surely the only person who should have been flown there was Charlie Bird, not Tubs.

And if stubs had any decency (or his “trademark kindness”) surely he’d offer his seat to Bird?

Or perhaps decline the offer and say thank you for the gesture but I’ll get up early and drive, and perhaps you could make a financial donation instead?

He deserves nothing positive said about him.

He's hijacked this event

He absolutely didn't get any ball rolling (apart from his own)

Good Guy 🤣 are you related .

Your talking complete claptrap and can easily choose to ignore this and any similar thread that doesn't fall over itself praising and worshipping a shameless , arrogant , patronising and immensely smug clown .

• Advertisement

“LeBron GOAT” is a username created by someone who is clearly taking shots at me btw for those of you wondering who or what they are and where they’ve sprung from.

it’s a bit bizarre really to call people losers and headbangers here, yet stalk my posts in another forum and create a username they think will upset me…..ok dude….or dudette….🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'll place a fiver on it tomorrow that Tubs will get 'choked'/'highly emotional'/'tearful' on the wireless tomorrow morning, talking about his 'Bestie', Charlie Bird.

Exactly my point.

If he couldn't make it on time due to work commitments on Friday night, do a local climb, create some buzz around it, let the money his trip would cost go to charity and also have some self awareness of the cost to the environment for such a self indulgent trip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He could have done a climb local to him but then he couldn't have his gob stuck in every possible photo with Charlie Bird.

So that wouldn't do.

It's the best part of 3.5 hours drive from SoCoDu to Murrisk.

So to make it in time for a mid morning start you'd need to be giving yourself at least 4 hours to get there loosen up and tog out.

That would mean leaving at say 6.30 after getting home from LLS at say midnight.

I'd say tight is putting it mildly.

• Advertisement

Ignore this individual, clearly set up a trolling account and let slip they are aware of incidents that affected this site months ago, so clearly someone acting the maggot and using a new account to attack posters , not their posts. Appropriate user name though, Goat 😁

Very curious that since the news broke about Turbidy's helicopter ride, the Tubs appreciation society out in force defending the indefensible 🤔🤔👀👀

Ah thank you! Appreciate the heads up... I literally only joined tonight as I had seen the thread some time ago and looking at the atrocious carry on from Tubridy this weekend I just wanted to pitch in.

Thansk a mill 😊

So don’t do it then.

Or do a local climb.

Or get a lift in a car/bus and sleep on the way.

There were lots of alternatives to taking a helicopter!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A Tubridy supporter...you are most welcome here....

Its not a surprise to see your kind in existence...a representative of the dancing mothers around the kitchen listening to tubridy.....

It shouldnt come as a surprise to posters of this thread......but I think official Ireland cant see past the fraud and the majority in the country dont seem to mind the "toy man".....

But those with a more nuanced view of the world can see past the "kindness facade", we see the falseness and fake drivel served up by tubridy for 500k a year....

This helicopter jaunt is just the tip of the iceberg......

You and your kind view Tubridy as your better...like a brit does with a royal.....you are truly a "Good Egg"....

As for me, well im just a bad egg troll who cant physically stomach looking at finger pointy self indulgent pictures of tubridy....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

We see a lot of this cowardly trolling unfortunately across various Threads and forums .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

But was he or anyone for that matter required to be at the summit at a particular time or perhaps was it just about making it in time for the photo opportunities (and my god he grabbed them).

I travelled from Rural Laois to Swords for work for almost 3 years back at a time before the concept of a bypass existed.

I don't think it too much to expect Tubs or anyone "Genuinely " interested in making the climb to drive to Croagh Patrick to partake, I actually know a number of people who travelled from Dingle, Cork, Dublin and Donegal and on the day in question. I equally know people who travelled up the day before by Train.

Why thank you 😊🍳... Great user name by the way .. We can now have Bad egg on Steven Toast 😂

• Advertisement

I suppose the whole idea of him going was to publicly support the charitable endeavor.

Not much point turning up at the summit when everyone is gone home.

That was tough going for you.

At the end of the day we all know our limitations. I know I wouldn't be up for the kind of timetable I outlined above.

If I was facing that and Barry McGuigan said "come on pal I'll get you a lift in helicopter" I'd jump at it.

I reckon most on here would too truth be told.

You're right, most would probably jump at it, including me.

But he needs to have a little more self awareness as the host of a flagship radio show on the national broadcaster.... Preaching about the environment and the cost of living etc... The rest of us however would not be communicating that message to hundreds of thousands of listeners after said trip.

And if the point was to publicly support the endeavour, he had already done so in promoting it on TV and radio in advance. I'm sure Charlie would have known just how much support he had.

He could have shown support by joining a local climb and providing a bit of buzz elsewhere as they had been, to their credit, encouraging people to do the climb in other locations.

Anyway.. The great news is lots of money raised for a tremendous cause and it was so beautiful to see Charlie and his wife Claire reach the top. What an achievement and it must have been such a motivator to have that ambition ahead of him. He is and his wife are truly inspiring. I wish them the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The helicopter in the photo,G-OYNX, is owned by ORCHID HOMES LTD Bray Co.Wicklow. Must be the oul developer connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Every great country needs a national broadcaster and RTE is one of the greatest national broadcasters in the whole of the world.

RTE nurtures young talent which matures to legend.

Examples are countless like RT.

RTE gives the weak and downtrodden a voice and RT is a great man for letting the simple folk of Ireland air their grievences and excudes a kindness for the unwell.

He gives selflessly of himself to promote their charities working tirelessly night and day on their behalf.

RTE is home to the greatest chatshow in the history of broadcasting.

The LLS has been copied by many other broadcasters but never has been emulated.

Our national broadcasters are playing in the premiership and are worth every cent they earn.

In fact they are very badly paid if you consider that it is a 24/7 job - sometimes helicopters have to be used in order to be at the service of their fans and to do great acts of charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just had a look through Charlie Birds Twitter feed, going back a few months.

Nowhere is Tubridy mentioned or thanked. Seems the mutual friendship is very one way.

Yes, just imagine it on a lovely day like yesterday going for a spin across the country in a helicopter with Barry McGuigan.

We would all love it.

I'm not sure about the self awareness etc. stuff if he was just doing what we would all do given half a chance.

I suppose he had already done a lot to support the climb and could have done a local walk but as I recall he jumped in at the start and said he'd do CP so maybe backing out wouldn't be right.

Agree fully re. Charlie and Claire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The great news is lots of money raised for a tremendous cause and it was so beautiful to see Charlie and his wife Claire reach the top. What an achievement and it must have been such a motivator to have that ambition ahead of him. He is and his wife are truly inspiring. I wish them the very best.

Exactly.

And I agree, Tubridy could easily have completed a climb somewhere local to him. But then he would not be stuck in every possible photo with Charlie Bird. And that would not do.

Self awareness is an alien concept to Tubridy, unfortunately. He has an unerring 'ability' to make absolutely everything about himself. Even something like this which is an amazing achievement by someone else, suffering a terminal illness - he has managed to hijack the occasion. It's actually disgusting to see.

But it (he) should not be allowed to take from what Charlie has achieved, nor from what he is going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will be interesting to see if the helicopter is mentioned in his riff tomorrow morning.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the day off to recharge after all his efforts.

• NK busy posting bullsh1t tonight on soc media sites, but I suppose he must earn his crust. Helicopters don’t pay for themselves.

• Advertisement

• I have to confess to having taken 2 helicopter lessons. Frightfully expensive things, very very rewarding to hack it. The lessons were gifts, providing me with cherished memories.

Oh he'll be in alright... There's no way he'll miss the opportunity to read out the texts telling him how wonderful he is... As he pretends to rush over the ones that praise him, as if he hasn't pre read them..

He'll just have to motor on through on half power before he leaves us again to "recharge the batteries" before the easter break next week...he'll be back then firing on all cylinders! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Or he could have gone and joined the gang a bit later on the day after the climb to complete the solidarity, maybe joined for a pint or whatever. I’m guessing Charlie wouldn’t be able to swallow normally but they could have a private function room to raise a toast. Behind the scenes, without making a spectacle of it. One photo of Ryan & others with Charlie in foreground and without that distasteful pointing trope.

The finger pointing... Its so disrespectful. Theres a picture on the rte news page of Daniel respectfully holding Charlie's hand up and Tubridy doing the pointy thing. I'm not posting it here as its distastful to Charlie, take a look if you wish . That pointing thing is so cheesy and garish, completely inappropriate to do a man who deserves such utter respect.

• Advertisement

I also saw a clip on the news where it's clear that Daniel, while politely answering a question from a reporter, is trying to take himself immediately out of any limelight.

Tubridy, meanwhile 🙄 ...point, point, hohoho, LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE.

You do realize the event was entitled “Climb with Charlie” and not “Climb with Ryan”, right? The use of the helicopter was crass and in extremely poor taste for a charity event.

But what else should I expect from the poster who’ll defend any behaviour from the NK Management stable and RTÉ.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

The whole point was to partake wether it be on Croagh Patrick or Killiney Hill. I'm simply pointing out that it's my impression Tubs went to extraordinary lengths to be present at photo opportunities and I'm afraid, I don't get this "Sudden Helicopter Ride". Which I believe was planned in advance. If it was going to be such a challenge for RT to make it to the event, I'm sure NK could have arranged lots of publicity for RT as he walked up one of the Dublin mountains.

Given the extraordinary efforts thousands of people made to partake in various climbs around the country and for what was a "Charitable Event", wether you agree or not, the news of RT being flown in by buddies looks dreadful.

Kudos to Daniel O Donnell who gained my respect for the graciousness and decorum he showed, he not only attended, stayed over night and despite being well able to afford it, didn't require a Helicopter to fly into the limelight. Infact he went out of his way to stay out of the limelight as to be fair did other celebrities.

This is a newer than new Low for RT and no matter how its spun his one and only motivation was being seen to be seen.

Crass, Vulgar, Distasteful and shameful with breathtaking arrogance 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Having climbed it myself half the battle is getting to it, choppers suggest ignorance of the environment and there for the pics and a quick exit

• Advertisement
Advertisement