Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

A messer down the back of the class. And we need more of them. More messers. More people who don't like conventional things like sport. Coz those normal people aren't special and not deserving of any praise or anything. Just criticism actually incase of one the day dreamers down the back feel bad about something.

- Riffin Ryan scutter logic

Well put. I had plenty praise for Liveline the last 2 weeks all the same.

The Pet Crematorium episode was Liveline at its best for me and then a few days later some harrowing conversations about sexual assault were held with reverence, genuine empathy and class. Liveline at its best and delivering to its potential for the nation on those days in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

As if by magic... He flys back in from his holidays and a freebee landed on his doorstep!

So he has them coming directly to his home address too.

Utterly shameless.

In a slightly earlier post in his stories he saw a sweet van a posted this... Magic alright. The man's a vulture

Yet another for the freebee list.

Aw amazing I'd say the charity he will donate that Sweets hamper to will really appreciate it.

Maybe the Ukranian refugees to supplement the late late show St Patrick's Day award they got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

As vehicle graphics go, that job is pure shi#te!

• As a very young child my mother used to say I uttered “I want, I want, I want..”

She asked me to define what I wanted and I couldn’t, I just felt needy of everything and anything.

Ryan is such…….a young child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They either "just happened" to have his home address from a previous free delivery (which in itself says something).....or it was given to them when they contacted NK Management (most likely) or RTE. You'd assume RTE would have enough cop on not to give out his home address. I'd like to think it was sent to the management company and they dropped it off for him, but you never know.......

The man is a leech. It's disgusting how a man with his wealth for doing so little then feels the need to go out of his way to get free stuff on top of that.

So you had praise for Lahv Lahn for the last 2 weeks......when the show's grossly overpaid host was on holidays? Intriguing.

😉

Can whoever is compiling the freebie list (TYFYS btw) ensure this basket of sweets is added to it?

What's galling about the list is we only know from his own admissions what he is declaring, can you imagine all the stuff he gets that he doesn't publicly acknowledge?

Given to charity my h0le.

• Advertisement

Freebies list since 23 September 2020:

Free Unknown volume of books

Free Bespoke jewellery x 2

Free Essential oils for mask

Free Buns from Bewleys

Free Trip on the Irish Navy ship

Free 8 Glasses cases

Free Accessories for vinyl record player

Free Flowers

Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult

Free Holland and Barrett supply

Free Calm App

Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents

Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)

Free Watercolour

Free Candles

Free Book about Elvis' comeback in 68

Free Waterford Famine Buke

Free Pints

Free Sweets from Shandons

Free Loose leaf tea

Free Bread knives

Free Candles possibly wickless candles

Free Teapot

Free Vinyl record (Beatles/McCartney)

Free Tea brack

Free Cards

Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)

Free Halloween masks

Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)

Free Fudge

Free Southern Star newspaper

Free Opinion magazine

Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)

Free Crisps and Earplugs

Free Greetings cards

Free Beatles book

Free Bottle with fairy lights

Free Hot Chocolate Bomb

Free Personalised Christmas Stocking

Free Novelty Mug

Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)

Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards

Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)

Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)

Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)

Free Face mask from Chester Beatty

Free Books

Free Paul McCartney poster

Free Aerial photography coffee table book

Free Christmas jumper

Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)

Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)

Free Santa Beard Face Mask

Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)

Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)

Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)

Free Shandon Sweets, again

Free invite to chess convention

Free Lighthouse Book

Free chess lessons

Free Book (Elf Isolation)

Free crate of Club Orange

Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)

Free Ireland's Own Annual

Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).

Free Paul McCartney - Back in the USSR vinyl album.

Free Box of Turf

Free Puffin Christmas Decorations

Free Puffin Christmas Cards

Free Puffin T Shirt

Free Meal in Kilmore Quay

Free Motivational Quote Cards

Free Book (Dauntless Courage)

Free CD

Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.

Free Hand crafted Gin

Free Crystal Glasses set

Free Cocktails

Free Craft Beer Selection

Free Visit to brewery

Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)

Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)

Free Personalised Water bottle

Free White Vinyl Christmas record

Free Handmade Cards

Free Magazine about schools during Covid

Free Donegal Calendar

Free Bird Calendar (includes Puffin)

Free Fry’s Chocolate Bars – 4 pack - (Passed over to Mater Tubridy)

Free Patricia Gibney Book

Free Terry Reilly book – Ballina People

Free signed Rick Stein in France book

Free American edition of Liz Nugent Book

Free Frederick Douglass book (as asked for earlier this week, but no mention of payment).

Free Sanatorium (Abi Palmer) book

Free Robert Harris Book V2

Free Coffee Beans

Free Grand Canal to Dodder Book

Free Murder Mutiny and the Muglins Book

Free Smart Cooking Books – both editions.

Free Acts of Desperation by Megan Nolan book.

Free Sherlock Holmes walking stick

Free Jenny Wren S’mores kit

Free chocolate bunny

Free tour of St patricks cathedral

Free walking tour of Dublin

Free currach trip on the liffey.

Free gift bag from St Patrick's

Free tour of Rowntree's factory

Free stay in Kerry Hotel

Free bog Oak tea light holder

Free Hand made muppet toy

Irish country magazine and pen

Braile book

New York magazine (succession edition)

Free lunch post toy show

Free preview copies of books

Private Screening of Belfast "for work reasons"

Hand carved walking stick

Free daffodils

Braille keyring / Patrick and the president

Advance screening of Elvis movie

Free water bottles

New FREE Headphones

New FREE Chair

New FREE Carpet

FREE BIKE LOCK

Request that his radio team link up with the Late Late Show team to have a birthday whip around to get him to Florida to see a Paul Mccarthy gig.

Free Madigans scarf

Free rolling stones ballet tickets

Free Sweets hamper delivered to home address

I think a positive in the last few months is since some official complaints where made to rte (with very suspect responses) that the volume of mentions has dropped. Its this area where I have the issue.

If people want to send Ryan, or me, or anybody anything for free then I think that's ok. That's their business. Just like Ryan does, I would probably accept. For me this issue arises when as part of the quid pro quo Riffin Ryan give the product free promotion on air in return. This then perpetuates the cycle of freebies for promotion - essentially soliciting freebies in a more subtle way than when he just straight up asks for things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A fifty year old multi-millionaire posting pics of freebies to Instagram like a teenage "influencer", which funnily enough is the exact type of person he would look down upon.

I don't know how anyone could have any respect for him. He has zero class.

Thank You For Your Service in collating the list so to speak, and thus highlighting the greed, shameless requests, and shilling by our grossly overpaid host. Although the luvvies don't like it I've heard...........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Agreed. I know I have said it before but a man of his age trying to portray that he is some kind of overgrown kid is nauseating.

Putting himself at the centre of the toy show, ooh and what costume will he be wearing etc - it's not about him, or at least it shouldn't be 🙄

Less than zero class. I do hope that more people saw through him after his recent attention grabbing at Croagh Patrick. Hopefully.

He's also pretty careful only to post these things as Instagram stories and not regular photos so people can't comment on them. Maybe Instagram isn't as kind as he says it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Calling all Luvvies. Please make your way to the Radio forum. The Cranks are looking for someone to fight with.

• After the Late Late Show gaff, Ryan will be all excuses on Tuesday, if he’s not taking an extended holiday.

“In spite of what some unkind trolls said on Twitter, Jamie Lee was not in the least bit annoyed at being asked her age, she assured me that afterwards when we had a chat; I admire the spirit of that girl, not afraid to respond on the minute as her mind takes her & then to have the sensitivity to tell me it was all in a good spirit. That’s what we like to hear!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't watched the LLS in a long time, but I see his riffin monologue at the start of it, similar to what he does on a daily basis on the radio , is now considered 'news' by the Indo website.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/theres-no-place-for-homophobia-ryan-tubridy-says-in-late-late-intro-41558645.html

Shows how much that site has taken a dip in quality in recent years .

And so Ryan says that homophobia is wrong. Well that's that Cleared up. There was us thinking it was grand, but now our Lord and master has sorted us all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

€6.99 a month to read that shi#e!

i don’t think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

King of wokeness tubridy put back in his box

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Might be worth tuning in on Monday?

Probably will have it off, knowing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,345 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

He really is off on Monday, as it’s a Bank Holiday (Marty Morrissey sitting in)!

Ryan’s (hopefully) back on Tuesday.

Is it against his religion or something to work bank holidays?

How come MM can work it, but the guy paid so much more can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, I'd have asked the same question no matter which of the actors I was interviewing.

If I recall correctly none of them were teenagers in real life even in the first series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

Exactly.. He gets all the DMs from his stories that we don't see. He ofen talks about people responding to his stories but oy he can see it. I responded once to make a very honest and innocent obverservation that would have actually helped him had he bothered to absorb it and not take immediate offence, purely as it wasn't 100% saying "aren't ya great" but instead he blocked me immediately!!! That is not straight thinking considered adult behaviour. How can he claim to be so informed when he listens to nobody outside of the Ryan Tubridy show bubble.

Just like RTE itself, the put videos on YouTube and disable comments... Its offensive to the licence payers and viewers that you may watch but how dare you have a point of view. Its like North Korea.

• That’s why Ryan Subsidy (Parody) on Twitter wears a certain uniform.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ah sure he must be exhausted, poor chap. #sarcasm

As an aside, I would say this is killing him that there is quite a lot of obvious negativity about him and his cack handedness on the show last night.

• It would have been quickly forgiven or dismissed had he been putting more effort into his presenting. The fact he makes precious little preparation, lacks self-awareness and still takes the generous handout makes it difficult to overlook foibles in a man who cannot take any criticism.

That’s not how you spell “unfortunately”.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Funny you should say this because I responded to the freebie pic he posted to his Instagram story the other day. I asked him to donate the freebie to charity and he immediately blocked me. He has done the same to others for similar messages that weren't particularly harsh.

As we saw yet again tonight, he's extremely sensitive to criticism. He must have literally never had to take any criticism at all in his childhood. I also believe that when people react in such a sensitive way to criticism, it's because the criticism has touched a nerve with them and they believe it to be true on some level.

This business of blocking lots of people also goes to show that he doesn't believe his own spiel about Instagram being "kind". He cant possibly think Instagram is kind if he takes offence to so many comments. Yet he keeps pushing this kind instagram thing cos he needs at least one social media platform to promote ToyMan. This makes him no better than any of these influencers he is so patronising towards IMO.

In any walk of life, people who are truly admired are seen as authentic, people who will be true to themselves no matter what the cost. He is not an authentic individual, there is a faux exterior there all the time and and anyone who is in any way intuitive can sense that.

so Captain Kindness is now Captain Misogyny. Intriguing.

Can’t wait to read the next Sindo/RSVP etc. puff piece talking about his “trademark misogyny”……

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Interesting but unsurprising about getting blocked. To say he is thin skinned is putting things very mildly. He brings it to a whole new level. As displayed live on Friday night.

Absolutely fake to the bone, and it's yet another reason he cannot interview people and is so uneasy.

There is no authenticity so when he meets guests who are authentic, there's nothing, just nothing there in him, to respond sincerely to them.

Cue cards, cue cards, cue cards 🙄

• Advertisement

• Phil Coulter might alter his lyrics:

🎼

See the man-child…

Scorn not his insincerity, but rather try to love him all the more🎶

What happened to Catmaniac?

• Had to slip into new clothes, so to speak 😉

Oh dear Christ..Brian Gleeson asked two young gentleman jockeys their age..Cancel the Grand National right away!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yeah his thin skin has been shown up a fair few times. I rarely watch the LLS and listen to him on the radio even less. But I remember when he was interviewing Gerry Adams. Adams was asked about terrorism and SF. Adams pointed out his grandfather (or great-gandfather) was probably also guilty of terrorism. Tubs got fairly thick about it.

If he was on local radio somewhere you wouldn't mind so much, but we know who he is and what salary he's on. That's the problem.

EDIT: Here's the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqRqWjR33o

Thanks for posting the clip. It really shows the real Ryan for what he is.

'Twas new to me too. Even if he was being glib (which he wasn't), it once again demonstrates that Tubs can dish it our but most certainly cannot take it.

• At least that’s not a beige interview which is much his hallmark now. I think they steer him towards beig, or he insists on it himself, as he is so touchy & reactive.

• He sounds disturbed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement