Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If ever a song summed up the host it's this.............

Tubs utterly clueless here. It's delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Grandad Tubs would often regale tails of the glorious Woolwich Arsenal team

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

A pitch invasion "sweet and old fashioned"... Makes a change to delicious I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That ended a bit suddenly

Up to 5 minutes ago Tubs thought Man City was a place

Who cares about Gene Hackman

A random caller?

• Advertisement

Ignoring the fact that the Aston Villa goalkeeper was assaulted by Man City fans - but all a bit of fun for Tubs and completely excusable because of the Oirish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah, delicious.

Woman rings up for Bruce tickets, and ticks both the cancer AND the toy show boxes.

Shameless, utterly shameless.

It's just a coincidence. Complete not rigged. And she's absolutely not related to anyone in RTE.

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I don't usually get to listen to the radio after 9am but was travelling yesterday so got the chance. I listened to Tubridy for about 10 minutes, that was all I could take. It sounded like he was just rambling around with no preparation, with the highlight being to congratulate someone who went to Athenry Heritage Centre, as if she'd gone to Mars over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Christine Neville

I remember about a year or so ago, Ryan had a guest on the radio who answered an obvious quiz question incorrectly, and he kept laughing uncontrollably at him as he called out the remaining questions. I thought it was very immature and nasty of him. He doesn't get paid to do that. So much for promoting kindness.

Another time after somebody won a car on the Late Late, and as the guy sat into the car, Ryan pretended to kick the door shut just after the guy shut it himself... kinda like as if to say "I'm shoving you in there ya f**ker". I would not like to be inside the car looking up at Ryan doing that to me when it's meant to be my happy moment. He couldn't just quietly have thought to himself how he's better than the guy. He had to make that kicking gesture. I feel he leaks contempt in ways he doesn't realise towards a lot of people... the ones who aren't celebrities. For example, on the radio before the quiz starts he might ask the question of "where are you from?"... the answer might be 'Kilkenny', and Ryan would immediately say "good man, good man"! I think he tends to belittle men more than women.

I feel that maybe Ryan's good enough as an interviewer as regards the questions he asks, on paper; but I do sense that he often thinks too far ahead or something. He can't really relax an be present with the person in the way Tommy Tiernan would be. And maybe if he'd to deal with travellers in public in the same manner I've had to, maybe he'd change his tune!

@[Deleted User] I sum him up in my mind as a reasonably benign and vacuous narcissist. 

Dude, you nailed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@Christine Neville Imv Ryan is a terrible interviewer, all chop chop cue card ask question swivels in chair slaps table moves on hardly listening to the answer. If an interview is going down an interesting avenue for instance he hasn't the instinct to go with it like all the greats, more likely he steers the interview back onto familiar territory like plamasing the interviewee about some tenuous connection to oirland or go's digging for misery and diseases. In truth he's a very lucky man to be trousering the ransom he does courtesy of the taxpayer, stacking shelves with books who's content he doesn't understand or stocktaking in some backroom is about his level, on everything else you wrote I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought I detected a note of wistfulness in RT today when his guest told about changing career and finding a job that really suited him.

For many stuck in the groove the idea of making a break to something that really suits you is a kind of holy grail but seldom achieved.

I think men in their 40's are particularly susceptible to the notion.

Who knows, he could be harbouring notions of a portfolio career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Very well put. I always get a similar impression when I see him on the toy show as he tends to throw the toys around and doesn't really seem to have any respect for their value. Even on the RTE footage of him as a kid he has that same disregard for everything and comes across as spoiled, arrogant and contemptuous towards anything that he sees as below him.

• “So proud to call him my friend”

🙄 the innocence of children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looks like he's stealing those trophies and about to leg it 😁

Haven't school children been through enough over the past two years 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

After Joe Duffy, Tubs is the single worst person I could think of to discuss this topic.

In his rush to comment Tubs hasn't even got the basics of this story right. He's stated the shooter killed his grandmother, which is incorrect.

Tubs disgusted that Charlie Bird picked a charity event that he can't hijack because he's afraid of doing a parachute jump. The whole point of these things Tubs is you're supposed to get out of your comfort zone and do something you wouldn't normally do - but I suppose that's too much to ask for your dear dear friend.........

• Advertisement

Tubs lecturing people about passive aggressiveness. The focking irony.

Accent overload today.

Surprised to hear Tubs say 10-minute movie cut downs are not for him. The evidence we have suggests he barely reads the Cliff Notes versions of bukes so I thought they would be right up his street.

Another sportsperson. Cue awkward questions from the sportsmaster Tubs.............reading a list now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Why didn't he at least play a song from My Chemical Romance, seeing as he was at the concert last night??

Presumably, they didn't show him the requisite amount of (freebies )

kindness, maybe he even had to pay 😲

• Advertisement

Because he has never heard a song by A Chemical Romance in his life and couldn't name one of their songs. He hasn't a clue who they are.

Tubs: let's talk about the darkness in your life

I worked for a company, and the stories about the fella who had a drink problem, ate oranges doing the morning break...soaked in gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Seems to be correct from reports I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He shot grandmother before heading off to kill 21 people (19 children) grandmother survived as of this morning, obviously that may change but as Tubs went to air, no reports on her death.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

its after reminding me of the other guy who sat beside me, always drinking cartons of orange juice and coca cola..laced with vodka.

thanks for filling a half an hour claire with a story that someone on a bus could of told me.

I'm open to correction but not a single report has said she has died. Quite the contrary, they have said she survived.

• Advertisement

If the Toy Show topic was removed from the radio show this show would end at 9:40 every day.

So used to getting stuff for free he admits to walking out of a chipper without paying for his food.

Tubs still holding that listener who said she had a ticket for Macbeth in NY to account. If only he was a multimillionaire with months and months of holidays and could afford to do these things from his own pocket..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

How dare chipper staff charge Ryan? Why should he have to pay? He is rte royalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

he was in a bookshop

then notices the owner of the local chipper

then goes and gets chips

riveting stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Promoting the hell out of a new Elvis film now ....

Loads of "I love the show and listen to you everyday" and "you're amazing" texts today. They're probably from Chakra Blue, elperello, and dxhound so probably not fake in this case.

• Advertisement

Tubs announces the name of the song as "2 Step Remix" when it is in fact a remix of the song "2 Step". FFS. He will read whatever is in front of him. He's like Anchorman, but not as smart.

Advertisement