Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Fake email.

He's fookin rambling

Are you new here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Beans,hash browns..on a full Irish breakfast ;)

Seoirse... Ryan can you not pronounce that?

Are you new here?

I put my hand out for that :):)

• Advertisement

Gawd he's childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

No he can't!

"Sheer-sha" :rolleyes:

Is he mocking ?

That's not kind !

Extraordinary. I nearly spat out my tea at his garbled effort.

Gawd he's childish.

Are you ... n.. :)

• Advertisement

Doing a Cormac Ó h-headhra impression.

Walking on Dun Laoghaire pier in high winds,and admits it.
    What a fukin idiot

Someone sent him in the phonetics, Shorsha. But I'm guessing he knew dat already.

Thank the producer for telling you how to pronounce Seorsie. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Thank the producer for telling you how to pronounce Seorsie. !

He wouldn't dare mispronounce Chaila

Wasn’t Tubridy one of those sneering at the Americans who were unable to pronounce Saoirse Ronan’s name?

Aona ní Lowna. If there was ever a reason not to listen to CB !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Tuned out at Ryans cringy mention of "softly, softly, catchy COVID".

Above irritating and inappropriate message gushed out as a bizarre endorsement of The States miserable vaccination programme - currently hovering around giving about 3 injections a week - Though they are hoping to double this by September.....September 2022.

Have we ever had a pandemic type thing in Ireland? Plenty, Ryan. Take your choice.

Wasn’t Tubridy one of those sneering at the Americans who were unable to pronounce Saoirse Ronan’s name?

He most certainly was. Made a deal about it at the time

• Advertisement

And RTÉ's fixation on death kick's off for another week.
    I'm out.

The technology flaky again.

Terrible line.

Ryan is bored, wants him off the line.

Must have a McCartney track to be played.

Tubridy extols the virtues of an American podcast. “Texter” just happens to point out that Tubridy is name checked in said Podcast,

What a coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I think this segment was much shorter than planned. Que filler of music, texts and maybe an RTE family member with some gorgeous story to tell.

boarddotie wrote: »
    I think this segment was much shorter than planned. Que filler of music, texts and maybe an RTE family member with some gorgeous story to tell.

Seoirse/George persuaded to take the call.

Shed load of filler today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had to switch off....it was extra boring this morning.

If there is anyone in Ireland who earns their wages easier than Tubs, or has a daily job thats easier, I would like to meet them.

Surely there is not much prep needed for this hour, other than a glance through the papers, and deciding what songs to play.
    I'd say he doesn't do much prep for the interviews, other than being told who he'll be interviewing. Just wings it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

NIMAN wrote: »

If there is anyone in Ireland who earns their wages easier than Tubs, or has a daily job thats easier, I would like to meet them.

Surely there is not much prep needed for this hour, other than a glance through the papers, and deciding what songs to play.
    I'd say he doesn't do much prep for the interviews, other than being told who he'll be interviewing. Just wings it.

Tune in at 1.45 p.m. today for the answer to that question.

If you want to meet the great Joe Duffy just hang around outside Montrose at 3.02 p.m. A Jaguar is usually leaving at high speed around that time with the Great One behind the wheel.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Tune in at 1.45 p.m. today for the answer to that question.

If you want to meet the great Joe Duffy just hang around outside Montrose at 3.02 p.m. A Jaguar is usually leaving at high speed around that time with the Great One behind the wheel.

... and the LiveLine open to 3:15pm too!

He obviously leaves the minions to look after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Zero prep is right - he spews out the same regurgitated questions regardless of who he is speaking to week in , week out.

Isn't it mad that Tommy Tiernan, who hasn't a clue who his guests are going to be each week, gets more out of his interviews than Ryan "what are your Irish credentials" Tubridy?

The lad has zero interest in exerting himself. Sure his whole persona is as a man of leisure (dont go to work today, stay in bed drinking tea and watching black and white films why dont ya!?).

That sit-up he did on the Late Late show last week was the most gruelling show of his life I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Zero prep is right - he spews out the same regurgitated questions regardless of who he is speaking to week in , week out.

Isn't it mad that Tommy Tiernan, who hasn't a clue who his guests are going to be each week, gets more out of his interviews than Ryan "what are your Irish credentials" Tubridy?

The lad has zero interest in exerting himself. Sure his whole persona is as a man of leisure (dont go to work today, stay in bed drinking tea and watching black and white films why dont ya!?).

That sit-up he did on the Late Late show last week was the most gruelling show of his life I'd say.

He doesn't possess an enquiring intellect imv totally unsuited to the interview format, he shouldn't be within an asses roar of such shows

He doesn't possess an enquiring intellect imv totally unsuited to the interview format, he shouldn't be within an asses roar of such shows

The sad thing is, many years ago he was a good interviewer. In the intervening years it seems he has believed his own hype, and become stale, dull and complacent.

I wish RTE would give him a children’s book show, and get him off prime time radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The sad thing is, many years ago he was a good interviewer. In the intervening years it seems he has believed his own hype, and become stale, dull and complacent.

I wish RTE would give him a children’s book show, and get him off prime time radio.

He never had it imv, all chop chop, cue card... move on... swivel chair... hit desk with palm of hand.. empty formulaic waffling. He just didn't have what gaybo (like him or not) had, what parky had, what all the great interviewers had, an ability to spot the rich seam and lead the interviewee down there almost unknown to themselves, basically to let them talk... Poor Tubbs never had that ability nor would he ever learn it, never in a month of Sundays... Promoted way way above his ability that lad and somtimes I think a little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss with him, a thankfulness for how lucky he is to be trousering a kings ransom courtesy of the Irish taxpayer

• Advertisement

He's been phoning it in for years.

You would too if someone handed you half a mill for waffling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He never had it imv, all chop chop, cue card... move on... swivel chair... hit desk with palm of hand.. empty formulaic waffling. He just didn't have what gaybo (like him or not) had, what parky had, what all the interviewers had, an ability to spot the rich seam and lead the interviewee down there almost unknown to themselves, basically to let them talk... Poor Tubbs never had that ability nor would he ever learn it, never in a month of Sundays... Promoted way way above his ability that lad and somtimes I think a little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss with him, a thankfulness for how lucky he is to be trousering a kings ransom courtesy of the Irish taxpayer

100% agree with all of this.

He is petrified of going off script. I said it on another thread, the infamous Pee Flynn interview, just to pick one example, would never have happened if Tubridy was hosting.
    <THIS IS NOT ON THE CUE CARD>...

I can't watch or listen to him. I have tried.
    I'm sure he is a nice person, but a very empty vessel indeed when it comes to listening skills, empathy or understanding of anyone or anything outside of what is a norm to him.

He should be grateful, very grateful for the ridiculous salary he commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He's been phoning it in for years.

You would too if someone handed you half a mill for waffling.

If someone gave me €500,000 p.a. for waffling, I'd put a fair bit of effort in to make sure the job is there next year. Difference here is that Tubridy knows he more or less cannot be fired thanks to his family connections. That's why he can afford to 'phone it in'.

The pace and intonation of his voice when interviewing is very telling. It doesn't slow down, eg in Gaybo style, to the "tell me, did you eevveerr.....?" There are no little "pregnant" pauses where we feel a *moment* happen. Likes of Gaybo seemed to be naturals, but they took communication seriously and studied it and would have sought feedback, like the way a great opera singer undertakes master classes.

I remember talking to Pat Kenny after a show (I had driven a guest to studio) and he was very interested in my tiny bit of feedback, telling me he thought it was a bit cr@p, he could have done better during x interview and that it would be occupying his mind a bit over the weekend. He asked me did I agree with his quick post-show analysis. I can't imagine Tubridy ever doing that, he wouldn't want the opinion of a nobody like me or indeed anybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He never had it imv, all chop chop, cue card... move on... swivel chair... hit desk with palm of hand.. empty formulaic waffling. He just didn't have what gaybo (like him or not) had, what parky had, what all the great interviewers had, an ability to spot the rich seam and lead the interviewee down there almost unknown to themselves, basically to let them talk... Poor Tubbs never had that ability nor would he ever learn it, never in a month of Sundays... Promoted way way above his ability that lad and somtimes I think a little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss with him, a thankfulness for how lucky he is to be trousering a kings ransom courtesy of the Irish taxpayer

I honestly thought you were talking about Joe Duffy there as I have written a similar critique of the Buffoon from Ballyer.

• Advertisement

Agree completely with this in relation to his TV work. I’ve only seen him on the LLS about 10 times, and he has always been dreadfully wooden.

Radio wise, when he replaced Marian Furball in around 2006 I thought he was quite good. He seemed to be able to take an interview in different directions, but he has lost all that now.

He comes across as a lazy, complacent broadcaster, working on a stale programme format for a shockingly negligent station.

Read today's comments. I'm always amazed how people who constantly tell us what great patriots they are and how much they love Ireland can't even pronounce the most basic Irish Christian names. And Seoirse is a very basic Irish Christian name. It's possible he has even less Irish than Joe Duffy.

Read today's comments. I'm always amazed how people who constantly tell us what great patriots they are and how much they love Ireland can't even pronounce the most basic Irish Christian names. And Seoirse is a very basic Irish Christian name. It's possible he has even less Irish than Joe Duffy.

I wonder was he doing it deliberately... which would be equally poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Agree completely with this in relation to his TV work. I’ve only seen him on the LLS about 10 times, and he has always been dreadfully wooden.

Radio wise, when he replaced Marian Furball in around 2006 I thought he was quite good. He seemed to be able to take an interview in different directions, but he has lost all that now.

He comes across as a lazy, complacent broadcaster, working on a stale programme format for a shockingly negligent station.

Classy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I wonder was he doing it deliberately... which would be equally poor.

He has met her and can pronounce her name. It's all for show. An eccentric affectation like the puffins thing.

He has met her and can pronounce her name. It's all for show. An eccentric affectation like the puffins thing.

Yeah because it was followed on not too long after with pretty exact imitation of Cormac Ó h-Eadhra pronunciation of "Dún Laoghaire".

I didn’t hear the show but Seoirse and Saoirse are two completely different names.

I didn’t hear the show but Seoirse and Saoirse are two completely different names.

I think he probably knows right well, probably putting it on to raise the heckles somewhere, the spirit of kindness coming to the fore. He would surely have heard of composer Seoirse Bodley, whose faaaader worked with my mother at one time.

Classy :rolleyes:

Accurate though. Her on air coughing was like a cat coughing up a fur ball,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This avid bookworm didn’t know that an Irish woman shot Mussolini?

I don’t believe it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement