Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

Yes, it would have been, but why does he have to bring the Toy Show into it? He could have paid tribute to her activism and all the work she has done to help improve cancer care in Ireland without mentioning the Toy Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is clear to me as a regular here that many posters have little time for RT.

They have plenty of opportunity to air their criticism here five days a week.

However sometimes there are events which are best not drawn into discussion of said criticism.

• If he was sincere he would have dedicated the show to a person who has gone to such lengths in the her sickness & despair to give her undivided attention as a guest on the LLS. When I encounter Ryan, sincerity is not the first thing that comes to my mind. Vicky was an ultra sincere no-nonsense type of person, she played the media to best effect, they tried to silence her, to shut her up, she would not be silenced. Ryan himself stopped her sharing her opinion of the CMO re his handling of the situation. That’s the type of good feisty person I admire, not an overpaid host who depends on cue cards for a living.

• Anyway I’ll not be posting here, my opinion of RT is known, let it stand as it it. RIP Vicky.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

StevenToast and Paterson Jerins threadbanned

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have no idea what happened here over the last 48 hours, StevenToast and ButtersSuki threadbanned. That is pretty much the death knoll to this thread.

Goodbye, Boards. It was good in its heyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

After lengthy discussions with the mod, my ban has been lifted.

It’s a bit of a shame to see that there are no comments on the thread today, or in the Tubridy appreciation thread.

To those of you who reported me -for the record going forward, I’m always willing and ready to debate the merits or otherwise of the host on any forum or in PM if you wish to do so. I would much rather you extend me this courtesy and at least try and understand why I say what I say and debate same, rather than make assumptions about me or my opinions. Debate is healthy; shutting down conversations or attempting to do so simply because you don’t like what the other person is saying is not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Following assurances given by the poster ButtersSuki threadban lifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Welcome back butters, I'll have a georgeous slice of Swiss roll,in front of a delicious fire with lashings of ginger beer to welcome you back,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Thank you Dear Leader for opening up this forum again so we can fawn about The Toy Man and all his kindness

And thank you for letting the funniest and most observant poster ButtersSuki allow to praise the Toyman for his hard work to the general public

We will obey your rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nice to hear the host laughing at the intro as he told us about 2 Polish farmers being killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

"N. Kelly" - that's a good name alright.

It seems to me that RTE Radio is largely in a terrible state (compared to years and schedules past). Radio One is now frequently awful - content and talent wise.

2FM is at an historic low ebb and Lyric FM is a dog's dinner of a service.

They use an agent driven "star system" for on-air talent where some presenters are paid eye-watering "fees".

Some of these presenters are not even the best presenters in their own households!

Decision making on content is also frequently lazy and suspect. This is our frikken money that's largely funding this sh*tshow!

It is absolutely right that real time criticism be allowed on bad, lazy, unresearched, millionaire presenters on Public Radio and how it's produced and managed.

And it is absolutely right that the critics are debated with and challenged on here.

Otherwise, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

I noticed Ryan was pondering/letting us all know he's *onside* on his 'discomfort' about the World Cup and thanking his lucky stars that Ireland didn't qualify.

I know, I know...

I mean, that's par for the course for RTE's biggest fee gatherer and ahem, sports fan.

PS Welcome back ButterSuki.

PPS Waiting to welcome back Steven Toast.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I is sorry, sez Tubridy

Mr Tubridy argued that the festive lyric is an “array of words” and no one could own “all of that”, adding: “Like, if you say ‘I’m lovin’ it, I go ‘okay well that’s McFilth, so I know what that is’, or McDonald’s. Sorry, I call it that for a joke, I love a Big Mac.”

In a statement, RTÉ said: “Listeners will of course understand this comment was in jest - as Ryan has already stated he loves a Big Mac."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Red Fred

You could hear the awkward laugh after the McFilth comment. Went on for a good 20sec or more, trying to recover the situation before he got a complaint from McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Petty cash in the greater scheme of things.

A couple of ads per show would cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Like, here we go again! The guy is the highest paid broadcaster on RTE.

Either stick to your guns and say that McDs (and all fast foods) are bad or do a bit of fecking prep and don't be so cack handed. This is where unprepared riffin' gets you.

This is exactly the problem with paying very, very high "fees" to this man. He's just not worth it.

And it reflects badly on the production of the show as well, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Yeh can’t say dah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I ALMOST couldn't believe the jokey tone he used. Then again he did make a chicken kiev gag when Ukraine was first invaded so it's not that surprising. Between that and the McFilth comment, he was really showcasing his poor judgement this morning.

PS. good to see @ButtersSuki back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

someone's havin' a right 'giraffe'

"€300,000 on entertainment fees" per that Indo headline - petty cash indeed [in grand scheme of things]

I've got a bit of a "CT" re "entertainment fees" and the like,, goes summat like this:

Main Presenter Dude (and/or his/her cronies) : "Folks, the LLS is an 'institution' , and peeps will tune in no matter what"

Someone in the 'higher echelons' / 'Mandarin' type : "What ya getting at? (as if i don't know 😃) "

MPD/Crone-Cronie/Cronies : "Well, the National Broadcaster has 'X' amt of money for dispensing on guests/expenses etc; and we 'could' get someone as 'high-profile' as Gleeson every week, or, going "higher profile" , someone in the stratospheric realms ie Bono, once every month or so,,,,"

Higher echelon/Mandarin type : "Go on, keep talking"

MPD/Crone : "Well, to cut to the chase; if we can get bums on seats/eyes on the screen, and for a fraction of what might be expected for a NB to dispense on guests of qualities various for its flagship entertainment programme, regardless of the profile of said guests, then the entertainment budget could be drastically reduced, to say less than Euro 1million, and, you could say, that it is us, as a collective, that are saving our National Broadcaster millions. I mean it's only fair to suggest,,,,"

Higher echelon dude/dudette: "Only fair to suggest?.... that those of us who are 'saving' the station money; might not we be entitled to a 'slice' , you might say, say 50% of the possible 'savings' accrued?,,, I mean, the folks at home will readily tune in to Bannon/May/some County GAA manager/member of the public with a sob story, so no real need to have someone of the profile of a Harrison Ford/Damon etc on, well, every 2nd week - and Bono, well we can have arguably one of the world's most famous people on about once a year, out of some sort of National duty, and for less than his 'usual fee' perhaps. That'll keep plebs happy."

MPD dude/all the cronies present : "We seem to be on the same wavelength. We could be saving station as much as €5M a year. Surely there's a legal, regardless how unseemly, way, for us to receive, say half the total savings that we're saving the station, and for it to be disbursed equitably among those of us who are responsible for 'cutting costs' , and, dare I say it, performing a 'Public Service' "

Higher Echelon Person : "Done. Let us work on the 'finer points' "

/rant over

marital arts expert

Seems Ryan's McFilth comments about McDonalds have been edited out of the podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Quick phone call 📞 from McDonald's legal dept.

Rte seem to have a habit of editing their shows before they go to podcast.

Happened to several of their presenters now, usually the 3 highly paid ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

https://www.joe.ie/amp/news/ryan-tubridy-mcdonalds-mcfilth-apology-759484

Article has been removed. Typical from NK and Tubridy. He's completely disdainful of people he regards as beneath his social class. He thinks that McDonald's is for the lower classes and is awful food. The mask slipped with his McFilth comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’m as working class as they come and I’d rather eat from a bin than suffer through any of the swill McDonalds slop out. Criticism of McDonalds isn’t criticism of the “lower classes.”

Indeed, truly working class people (like me) never eat processed muck like the hoity-toity privileged members of the middle classes: we never had the disposable income to buy anything other than fresh ingredients from fruit and veg shops, butchers etc. It was always the people who were better off who’d blow money on McDonalds “food,” Findus Crispy Pancakes, chipper food and the like.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

As this is the Radio Forum and we are discussing the The Ryan Tubridy Show it's only fair to quote from the link to the Indo "expose".

"Very small sums were also paid out by The Ryan Tubridy Show – ten guests shared €1,065"

"Very small sums were also paid out by The Ryan Tubridy Show – ten guests shared €1,065"

don't know what point you're trying to make; if it's RTÉ 'giving/getting value for money' , then I'd say #that's a flippin joke

#on account of the mediocre guests they generally tend to have on! 😊 eg *Martin and Lisa from Baltinglass on the show berating the quality of our Public Health System are hardly going to be getting 10 Grand apiece

*used imaginary couple as example there

marital arts expert

The point is that the show which is the subject of this thread spent €1065 between ten guests.

Your opinion on the quality of the guests and the show in general is your own and you are entitled to it.

fair enough el ,,, my take is that your take on it (that ~€10G) is : " we're getting value for money with that figure quoted"

my point is the licence payer is getting 'zero value for money' overall, notwithstanding that seemingly - on the face of it - 'paltry' figure mentioned; thanks to the mediocre presenter/poor quality of guest on

If you do agree that €10,000 in expenses for ~10 guests is fair, well I don't think many (including me) can disagree with that

will leave it at that so 😊

marital arts expert

Before you go it might be worth your while reading the link.

If you do you will find the sum mentioned was €1065.

As I said before you are entitled to your own opinion.

But at the end of the day the facts are the facts.

apologies, yep the link did say ~€1G

🤣

marital arts expert

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

McFilth, whether he was referring to the food, or his perception of the clientele...well it isn't very KIND is it?

Here he is, giggling while announcing that two people were killed by a missile in Poland.

Totally unprepared, doesnt know what he's reading out and hasnt the natural empathy to react properly to such a story. A dangerous combo!

#WokeTubs talking about Qatar now.

“A guy called Miguel Delaney”. You mean the Irish soccer journalist, and regular on Irish media?

Admits he didn’t find the article himself, he was given it by one of the team. Zero prep again.

• Advertisement

It’s as if Qatar were awarded the World Cup this week and not in 2010……

But I thought only white people can be racist????

“Sport is sport and I love it”

lol

Daily Trump-bashing section. “Nancy Pelosi is amazing” section coming up next I suppose.

Man who works very little rebels against increased productivity. I’m shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

”I am speaking out of ignorance, not out of knowledge”……..never a truer word said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Ryan is on an 'onside' pronouncement on the World Cup via an independent.co.uk article!

It's 'five thousand plus words', dontcha know :-)

In the second half hour, it's TQ+ 'rights'

This G will be switching to a bit of music.

PS The main reason Qatar got the WC Ryan, was *France's influence in exchange for a multi-billion dollar weapons contract amongst all the other corruption within FIFA. Similar to Germany 2006, South Africa 2010

*That's the France that you used as an example of people who have pointed out endemic FIFA coruption for decades as whataboutery. Yes, France, Germany, South Africa and every other nation who have/will host/ed WC's are all in the bad books if moral righteousness is the arbiter of sport.

USA is next on the baaaaad list, surely??

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

“Banksy…..he’s pretty good”

“THAT” overload today.

Hopefully someone will record the segment on bit coin , top banter 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement