Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Great post-I agree wholeheartedly with all of it.

To my mind though, the most negative trait he exhibits is the misery penchant-this goes beyond taking an easy line, or because it's almost taboo to criticise (the Barry McGuigan interview comes to mind), but his endless appetite for drawing out misfortune is an unmitigated perversion.

It's endemic in RTE, and RTE is all he knows, or he would have been pulled up on it long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I'd actually think he has / had the ability to be a good broadcaster in the right area.

Like hes clearly ahead of D'arcy in technical ability, managing time and moving along segments and generally talking without too much humming and hawing - and I know questions are raised here about his preparation but I belive that he does more than Duffy (not saying it's a heroic amount but relatively speaking).

I think he is a victim of complacency. It's the same radio and tv shows every day and every week essentially. A few weeks ago some posters suggested formats for the show that would more maximise his strong areas and minimise his weaknesses and I think the radio show is salvageble if the will was there to mix it up a bit but I strongly suspect in 2, 3 or 4 years it could still be the same auld yarn every morning.
    And why wouldnt it be? Hes making sick money to drop in around 7am, sort out the freebies etc and head off around 10 or 11am. I dont blame him for taking that deal, I know I would!  I would go along with your line of thinking that management is at fault here for not stopping the rot. Unsure of the extent of his agents influence but would guess that it is sizeable but of course I have no actual idea.

In terms of the posts relating to nepotism I was thinking perhaps cronyism would be a more appropriate word? Theres plenty family connections in the industry (like many others) but I dont know of any DIRECT hires as a result of nepotism but there is such strong overlaps between staff (some of whom are painfully limited in their ability), former staff members and individuals in powerful positions that some situations smell a bit off to me. I think it was last week he was speaking to a young broadcasting student about something and I remeber thinking to myself "by the time Tubridy was her age he had probably 4 years done in RTE and was already familiar to a good number of staff in there, good luck competing with comming in as an outsider from DIT with no connected relatives."
    Of course I have no actual documents or statements from rte prove this (as one poster become obsessed with asking for before) but it's just my opinion from observing from the outside. Could be wrong.

The main issue I take with the show, and the persona Tubriy portrays every morning is the complacency and lack of willinging to try and be better.
    I don't blame him for taking outrageous salary, that's on rte managements heads, but I do blame him for taking that much and not even bothering his arse. He still hasnt bothered to expand his knowledge about Irish Sport for instance (not knowing the hurling and football trophys names).
    Even still that doesnt warrent personal abuse and no doubt hes gotten some unfortunately.

However, the ridiculoule of the current professional (not personal) persona I think is fair game in the morning.

The first, and I think better and more popular "young fogie" persona has been replaced by some type of arrrested development fantasy world Toyman persona that rubs many the wrong way. Also some real sly and negative traits shine through at times and I dont think its intentional.

There is the hypocrisy - haranging a singer he met on a street in New York for a photograph despite being declined, reading out the private correspondence of a deceased author after they were sold at auction - all when extolling people in the public eyes right to privacy.

The unintentionally flaunting his privileged life on a daily basis - sick money and still asking for freebies and asking a nurse who is homeschooling 3 children one of whom has special needs "where do you go for lunch".

The bullying - bald guy on the late late and shane lynch.

Then making out that anything other than blind praise online be considered as cruel trolls bullying etc and he is a victim just like McClean.

Sorry to go off on a rant but I'm 4 coffees deep which is a lot for me and I can type faster on the desktop than on my phone!  Just wanted to give some of the thinking behind my participation on the thread. If that makes me a troll and one of the nasty internet people then so be it. I dont think taking the piss out of some rediculous persona for a laugh makes me one and I dont think I say anything i wouldnt say to anyones face (in the appropriate fora, not a pub or anything lol). Theres some sharp and witty people on here and it gives me a good laugh most days and I think most people get it and dont cross the line into personal abuse.

With some minor editing that could be submitted as a “Letter to the Editor” and submitted to a national paper. I wouldn’t send it to The Sun though, they seem to have cemented their position as Tubs No. 1 Fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

it's like bluffing yourself into an engineers job with no qualifications, Ian dempsey predicted it on day one!!
    All the interviews were like he's the new king "yes i'm a young fogie as they say, it's going to be like jimmy carson, and i'm doing it my way"
    then boom....found out

What did Dempsey say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What did Dempsey say?

Drum roll...........
    “he’ll be found out “ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

a handier number than Ryan, a librarian with an orchestra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Free Megan Nolan book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Free book - Megan Nolan Acts of Desperation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

He couldn't say 'hot' or 'teen' or "one more time" in relation to Britney.

Wait for the "texts" from people "line dancing in the kitchen"

• Advertisement

Tenuous Bee Gee Family Connection.

dvcireland wrote: »
    Tenuous Bee Gee Family Connection.

To be harvested tomorrow night.

Wait for the "texts" from people "line dancing in the kitchen"

200.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan constantly referring to Barry Gibb as ‘The Last Surviving Bee Gee’.

Can you tell which way tomorrow night’s interview is going to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Straw man getting bored. No

*Researcher gets fired*

Tubs should get the Late Late Set Builders to recreate an old Irish cottage al Claire Byrne

I hope Ryan doesn't have a Clive Anderson moment with Mr Gibb

roald dahl was a bit of a bollix to his family

Pre-record? Sound is very different.

Ad watch:
    TV licence
    Lotto
    RTE Radio

This is why we pay Ryan the mega bucks. These companies simply wouldnt pay to advertise anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Every parents worst situation - the loss of a child.

Also know as Ryan's favourite topic imaginable.

Drum roll...........
    “he’ll be found out “ :)

I found this more telling

"Tubridy would now finally have to prove himself -- because he would no longer be gifted an audience from Morning Ireland, the Today FM host claimed"

Iano knows his stuff.

How long did Tubs spend in Ryan's spot on 2FM?

Slight tangent. But wasn't Ryan's godfather one of the Andrews?

Strange Tubs didn't bring up Bonneville's connection to Ireland.

He used to like his trips so much. He took out a super injunction so the papers couldn't report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Ryan lying there when he said the late late show will be " a whole lot of fun"

when he interviews Barry Gibb... It will be straight into death

Every parents worst situation - the loss of a child.

Also know as Ryan's favourite topic imaginable.

“And tell me, which of the following is more painful for you:
    A) the anniversary of your child’s death or
    B) the day of the Toy Show each year knowing your child is missing out on seeing The Toyman do his thing?

Hello? Are you still there? Hello?

We seem to have lost that caller, I guess it was B then. Let’s take a music break shall we? Here’s ‘Gone Too Soon’ by Daughtry“

Strange Tubs didn't bring up Bonneville's connection to Ireland.

He used to like his trips so much. He took out a super injunction so the papers couldn't report it.
    the super injunction always comes to mind with regard to Hugh, he seems to be a decent enough skin

the super injunction always comes to mind with regard to Hugh, he seems to be a decent enough skin

Hugh is a bit of a “Toyman” himself! Was it Buzz Lightyear or Sheriff Woody that was used in the act so to speak? I can’t remember and can’t be arsed looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

roald dahl was a bit of a bollix to his family

Also notoriously antisemitic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ryan constantly referring to Barry Gibb as ‘The Last Surviving Bee Gee’.

Can you tell which way tomorrow night’s interview is going to go :D

I'm a great fan of the BeeGees music ( I'm old). Should I call in and tell ryan that I think Barry's new album is shyte ?

I'm a great fan of the BeeGees music ( I'm old). Should I call in and tell ryan that I think Barry's new album is shyte ?

Definitely but build it up for 5 mins before dropping the shytebomb

Also notoriously antisemitic

Then again so is Ireland

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

Freebies list since 23 September 2020

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener
    Turntable Mat (received amongst other record player accessories)
    Original Copy (and artwork) of Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas single (received in return for Arnotts Gift Card)
    World’s Biggest Selection Box (as seen in a child’s hands)
    Slippers
    Book about Frederick Douglass (Hamilton musical related). Specifically stated he didn’t want freebie.

Freebie Received List
    :

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free Bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free Essential oils for mask
    Free Buns from Bewleys
    Free Trip on the Irish Navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free Accessories for vinyl record player
    Free Flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and Barrett supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free Book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free Pints
    Free Sweets from Shandons
    Free Loose leaf tea
    Free Bread knives
    Free Candles possibly wickless candles
    Free Teapot
    Free Vinyl record (Beatles/McCartney)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free Halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free Fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free Crisps and Earplugs
    Free Greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free Face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free Books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again
    Free invite to chess convention
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Book (Elf Isolation)
    Free crate of Club Orange
    Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)
    Free Ireland's Own Annual
    Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).
    Free Paul McCartney - Back in the CCCP vinyl album.
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin Christmas Decorations
    Free Puffin Christmas Cards
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free Meal in Kilmore Quay
    Free Motivational Quote Cards
    Free Book (Dauntless Courage)
    Free CD
    Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Craft Beer Selection
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)
    Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)
    Free Personalised Water bottle
    Free White Vinyl Christmas record
    Free Handmade Cards
    Free Magazine about schools during Covid
    Free Donegal Calendar
    Free Bird Calendar (includes Puffin)
    Free Fry’s Chocolate Bars – 4 pack - (Passed over to Mater Tubridy)
    Free Patricia Gibney Book
    Free Terry Reilly book – Ballina People
    Free signed Rick Stein in France book
    Free American edition of Liz Nugent Book
    Free Frederick Douglass book (as asked for earlier this week, but no mention of payment).
    Free Sanatorium (Abi Palmer) book
    Free Robert Harris Book V2
    Free Coffee Beans
    Free Grand Canal to Dodder Book
    Free Murder Mutiny and the Muglins Book
    Free Smart Cooking Books – both editions.
    Free Acts of Desperation by Megan Nolan book.

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies, and the requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The fact that he had to repeat that "Ireland's Industry" thing twice, just shows you how devoid of humour the man is. It's not even his joke, but it gets two airings. And I had to laugh when he said "wait until lockdown is over and you can visit the show in person" - the only reason that he is getting any of these interviews with the big names is because a) they don't have to travel and b) they need the few quid from the zoom interviews. If he thinks that any of those people are going to call around to see him after COVID lockdown ends, then he is more delusional than I thought.

EDIT: before anybody corrects me, yes I know, lockdown never ends.

I'd actually think he has / had the ability to be a good broadcaster in the right area. Like hes clearly ahead of D'arcy in technical ability, managing time and moving along segments and generally talking without too much humming and hawing - and I know questions are raised here about his preparation but I belive that he does more than Duffy (not saying it's a heroic amount but relatively speaking).

Yeah I agree with most of what you say POM. He certainly is better at the equipment than D'Arcy - but I guess you could flip that and say how in God's name is D'Arcy so bad given that he's been using equipment all his life DJing and presenting in the other station that he's not allowed mention.

I think that Tubridy definitely got a hand up by his relations and being the right type of private school boy. He certainly worked hard, and has some talent, but I would argue that the main reason he is still in position is that he is a safe pair of hands - he wont offend anybody, won't lose them their sponsors, never controversial (nay interesting), always the best boy with the apple for the RTE Management.

But nothing will change. Nobody in RTE will have the balls to give the Late Late to Tommy Tiernan or anybody else that might be a little controversial. Tubridy will be there in twenty years time.

• Advertisement

A gorgeous show has been promised this morning.

I bet he keeps getting messages on his phone about rehabilitation products since he threatened to break yer man's two legs.

Awh here Ryan. It's a bit early in the year to be talking about seagulls and seagull attacks.
    What will you use to fill the air between May and September. If you use all the material now.

Awh here Ryan. It's a bit early in the year to be talking about seagulls and seagull attacks.
    What will you use to fill the air between May and September. If you use all the material now.

Going to go out on a limb here and say maybe death, terminal illness, sick children, the toy show, american politics of sorts, books and teachers?

“He was such an amazing guest and friend of the show I’ve no idea how to pronounce his 4 lettered surname.”

Classy.

Edit: to be fair, that’s not an actual quote, I am paraphrasing, but that’s essentially what he said.

• Advertisement

tomorrow on the late late would be great a la :

Bryan wondering aloud what it would be like to be immortalized as a muppet.

You already are in the eyes of many Bryan.

“I know many of you are dancing around the kitchen.....”

Alison Curtis will sue you for stealing her catchphrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Tubridy's 'It says in the papers' over for today. Time to move the kitchen table and boogie.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Tubridy's 'It says in the papers' over for today. Time to move the kitchen table and boogie.

“Is says in the tabloids” more like. For a man who claims to be the world’s most voracious reader, his choice of newspapers leaves a lot to be desired.

Is Ryan ashamed to mention that he went to the private school BlackRock college? Just say it Ryan.

A texter received earings and a hand written note from an Irish jeweler during the week. and then texted a radio show about it. Hard to stand over adding that to the freebie list tbh but it smells a bit off. Maybe Ryan could well have not gotten anything and it was the shop owner texting in just as easy. No way of knowing but I'm just dead eyed cynical at this stage.

I always thought this Wild Summit fella was a bit of a chancer. 35 quid to bring you around Glendalough at night. Or go on your own and it's free.

I organised a surf trip last summer for a group. 2 nights bed and food and a few activities per day. It was great craic. Went on the website to maybe book again this summer - price increased by 90euro. One activity has been replaced by a 'beach walk' along with the existing hike.

Love supporting irish in the good times and bad but most places with gouge the eyes out of your head given half a chance. It's some money maker for them.

A texter received earings and a hand written note from an Irish jeweler during the week. and then texted a radio show about it. Hard to stand over adding that to the freebie list tbh but it smells a bit off. Maybe Ryan could well have not gotten anything and it was the shop owner texting in just as easy. No way of knowing but I'm just dead eyed cynical at this stage.

Freebies at one step remove. Clever, Ryan, clever!

• Advertisement
Advertisement