Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rip off shows like this would be like something that would be featured on LiveLine, but I'm suspecting it'll not get discussed there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wow - It’s some stinker of a review!...and currently the most read article on the Indo site.

Montrose will NOT be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

So Tubs says on Wednesday, we're here straight through to the 23rd December, And the next day he's off, only in your dreams could you get a part time job like his, that pays a millionaire wage , and he's off Friday, FFS,

Why was i not born related to someone in rte, I'd be on a very high full time wage for less than part time wage,☹️

Callan talking like a competent presenter , no riffing and manic verbal scutter

the indo requested the financials from rte regarding the musical and were refused , they noted the bbc do not act like this nor would they fund Graham Norton the musical 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No surprise there surely, very keen to investigate everyone else but surprisingly bit like a ‘black hole’ when the spotlight is on themselves.

You can tell someone in rte,lost the run of themselves and thought this is going to be a massive cash cow,

They live in this bubble that think that the toyshow is universally loved by everyone

They don't realise most people watch it out of habit, or nostalgia of what it used to be, so they thought?, If a million or so watch the toyshow, this will definitely be a hit 🤔

Dreams and reality,

Kids stay up to watch it because they’re parents are hyped , it doesn’t hold kids attention long really

• Advertisement

Callan is so much better suited to this type of radio show than Tubs it’s astonishing. ONLY in a closed shop like RTE could stubs survive like he does. If this was a commercial organization without state subsidy Tubs would have been replaced by Callan a long time ago.

• Huge difference between televised Toy Show and something you have to buy tickets for and make a journey and maybe an overnight stay to see. And even then it’s a completely different format and without the spontaneity of the real thing, presumably without the toys (never mind there aren’t many of those on the tv show), and it is full of what kids like least about the Toy Show - other kids performing professionally. And unlike a panto, there’s presumably no opportunity for the children in the audience to interact.

Marty from nova enjoyed it

Anyone given a free ticket feels obliged to say that, otherwise free tickets don't appear on your desk anymore

Kids only watch the toy show cos they get to eat as many sweets as they like, and get to stay up til 1130.

If it was on at 3pm, and parents didn't allow them to overdose on sugar, I think only a fraction would watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I've been thinking about this for the last while as to why Ryan would be lacking so much in self awareness, - it is just a theory, albeit quite a plausible one imo.

When a mega-star joins a certain talent agency, I think they're made to go on a special course called - 'How to & why you should, avoid reading social media'

This course would be run at say, The Communications Clinic (or similar) - At this course, the delightful Mrs Prone (or similar) will teach them the importance of not reading anything negative about themselves and that anything important that they need to know, will be sent to them by their agent (having been screened/edited in their favour)

They will learn that there are bad meanies* out there saying bad things about them (* bad meanies = Intelligent, observant people that see through the whole Montrosian smoke & mirrors scam and disagree with these charlatans making multi-millions at their expense)

The superstars practice these recommendations from the course and it becomes ingrained. They carry on working through their gruelling work schedules varying from between 6 and 15 hours per week (allowing for a minimal amount of research) for a mere pittance of between €300k-€500k pa while remaining completely oblivious to what many people really think of them. Hence the complete surprise shown by Ryan when some bad, bad people called him a tosser (or whatever)

Ray D'Arcy admitted on his radio show that he never looks at stuff about himself online - I wonder why Ray, I wonder why? The thing is, if Ray knew what was widely thought about him, not only could he not do his 1.5 hours a day, he couldn't get out of bed. €350-400k pa

In Ryan's case, when he does something like - pays a visit to the house in Tallaght where the kids died and there just happens to be paps from the red tops there to capture it - Or, hijacks Charlie Bird's climbing gig, Ryan literally has no comprehension of any negative reaction to that, so he carries on regardless and will most likely do it again.

NK is RTE's metastatic cancer and they're too stupid to see it and cut it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And the demand for Toy Show LLS tickets is primarily based on the circa €500 worth of prizes/gifts each audience member gets for zero cost, a couple comes out with a nice grand for 2.5 hours worth.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

• Advertisement

• Ive said it before, the musical should be more of a panto interactive type show, featuring a toy man or Santa Claus figure who invites audience hoorays and singalongs, and with a token lucky bag gift for every child on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Well that's not quite true is it.

BBC Worldwide (100% owned by BBC) ran many commercial operations including stage shows. One direct comparison is the Top Gear television programme. In 2011, BBC Worldwide funded and produced "Top Gear Live" which toured many venues throughout the world.

I find it very strange reading this piece about the opening night of Toy Show The Musical.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/rte-apologises-as-brand-new-toy-show-musical-is-cancelled-because-of-illness-42227190.html

It mentions the star studded opening night, and names the likes of Toy Show kids Adam King & Saoirse Ruane, Daniel O'Donnell and grandkids, Ray D'Arcy and kids, Kathryn Thomas and kids.

I'm sure other folk were there too, and plenty of media was there to capture the event.

Surely the elephant in the room had to be the non-appearance of the Toy Man himself, Mr Toy Show?

I know he isn't backing it outright, but there must have been some questions getting asked about why he wasn't at it, considering he has been trying to market himself as the saviour of the show and the main event for the last decade or more. Could he not have been asked to at least show his face for the opening night and get a photo op with his best pal Adam King?

It appears being there with these poor kids only happens when it suits him and his image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Perhaps some rift between RT and the production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy probably wanted a cut off the Toy Show musical....

Once it wasnt forthcoming, Tubridy had no interest....

The lack of Tubridy being involved is very conspicuous....theres obviously something amiss going on behind the scenes....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Ryan definitely did not have an approving tone, looks like he didn’t want it done at all.

• Advertisement

Ah look who it is!

You're neglecting to use one word to describe the BBC effort - profitable.

So it's as usual, very different to the RTE effort.

Always here, just felt like posting for the craic.

I neglected nothing, a poster quoted a newspaper article as follows and stated as fact: "they noted the bbc do not act like this nor would they fund Graham Norton the musical". I pointed out this was incorrect, the BBC have acted like this many, many times and still do.

If Tubs shows up at an event he's stealing the limelight. When he doesn't show up there's questions to be answered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You know the drill.

RT is always wrong even when he's right 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

It’s one thing not showing up. But strange the self confessed Toy Man wouldn’t even mention the show around the time of the first performance, especially with poor ticket sales, so many ads running on RTÉ and presumably all publicity needed

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more like he read the room, knew it was going to be a debacle and tried to put as much distance between him and it as possible

If he thought it was going to be successful, he'd have been all over it

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

The difference being that when the Beeb do something like this it’s a success and profitable, unlike RTÉ.

Good….ha ha ha….morning all…..ha ha ha….

wtf?

He’s been on the Fanta already this morning.

Oh great! #SportsTubs lol

Good eggs all round!

I’m fascinated by the ha ha ha ha geo ha ha ha political ha ha ha element of it all ha ha ha

“Em - BEPP - pay”

🤣🙄

“I don’t know much about him” says Tubs about Messi.

”No sh*t” says everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

"Lovely Latin temper"

😳

“An intriguing afternoon”

lol, this is pure Partridge.

FAKE email alert.

honestly, they need to get another fake email writer.

Tubs breathes a huge sigh of relief after getting through the sports section without a major “boo boo” today.

Multi-millionaire tax avoider talks about the benefits of a frugal Christmas.

Donal Sheehan is a good egg

Wow, a “chef” made popcorn in a pot!

Masterchef watch out!

“Delicious popcorn on a beautiful programme!”

I suppose we should be grateful he’s using “delicious” to describe food for once.

Tubs “was a waiter and a barman”. He’s working class, just like Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement

“micro-stress”

Advertisement