Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I organised a surf trip last summer for a group. 2 nights bed and food and a few activities per day. It was great craic. Went on the website to maybe book again this summer - price increased by 90euro. One activity has been replaced by a 'beach walk' along with the existing hike.

Love supporting irish in the good times and bad but most places with gouge the eyes out of your head given half a chance. It's some money maker for them.

I know someone who went on wan o dem in Rossnowlagh last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I bet Jack hates his teacher and hates books.

Not.

Tubridy really is a very, very strange broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That should be the theme song for Tubridy's Late Late Show. It completely captures the mood of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Too many listeners were enjoying themselves listening to Stayin' Alive earlier.
    Must whip the plebs back to RT's way of thunking.

WTF is this dirge???

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Too many listeners were enjoying themselves listening to Stayin' Alive earlier.
    Must whip the plebs back to RT's way of thunking.

WTF is this dirge???

It's the latest faux atmospheric stripped down remake of a classic song. So beloved of TV programmes as background and theme music.

John Lewis got ahead of the game a number of years ago, and now everyone is copying them.

Totally formulaic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

“Is says in the tabloids” more like. For a man who claims to be the world’s most voracious reader, his choice of newspapers leaves a lot to be desired.

The fact that one of the said tabloids has never ending stories about our Ryan and his LLS helps get them a mention.

And don't believe all this high brow and "Im a massive reader" stuff from Tubs. It's to create a persona and an image of himself that frankly I don't think is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Sometimes when I take a break from work in the afternoons I go downstairs and the programme with Dáithí and Maura would be on. Dáithí just behaves like a normal human on air, so easy and natural and good natured, similar to how natural Tommy Tiernan comes across. Even BOC seems normal. When I see ryan I just get a sense of pure tension and insincerity ALL THE TIME. Its like an alien trying to blend in as a human making the noises and faces a human would make in situations but having to consciously think about what to do and make an actual effort to do it and it just comes across as false and puts people off.

Jonah Hill has probably done his fair share of interviews and picked up in it quick enough and I think that clip, the moment last week when he begged Ghrohl to compliment Irish fans and some clip of him making his 'compassionate face' as he asks someone about a recent death would be a fair summation of the mans work to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Sometimes when I take a break from work in the afternoons I go downstairs and the programme with Dáithí and Maura would be on. Dáithí just behaves like a normal human on air, so easy and natural and good natured, similar to how natural Tommy Tiernan comes across. Even BOC seems normal. When I see ryan I just get a sense of pure tension and insincerity ALL THE TIME. Its like an alien trying to blend in as a human making the noises and faces a human would make in situations but having to consciously think about what to do and make an actual effort to do it and it just comes across as false and puts people off.

Very true about Maura and Daithi. I think part of the problem is that he has been in RTE since he was a child, and doesn't really have much life experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Tubridy really is a very, very strange broadcaster.

I missed the end of the show. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Unwittingly Heard some bits of Ryan's shows the last week or so... I like them as much as the next man but my god, this bee gee obsession has gone too far !! Is he working off commission for them or what?

Had to laugh at him saying this morning that midnight cowboy and saturday night fever are two very different films and opposite end of the spectrum. I take it him and a lot of other people have never watched saturday night fever - all they know are the songs and think its a bright, happy, all sparkly disco musical. Its a look at a bunch of
    horrible young racist men stuck in no good, dead-end jobs who gang rape women, father unwanted children, commit suicide, battle with the oppression of family and the catholic church but who find some kind of solace from their worlds on the dance floors of seedy nightclubs
    . The music is great and uplifting but maybe he should actually rewatch the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Unwittingly Heard some bits of Ryan's shows the last week or so... I like them as much as the next man but my god, this bee gee obsession has gone too far !! Is he working off commission for them or what?

Had to laugh at him saying this morning that midnight cowboy and saturday night fever are two very different films and opposite end of the spectrum. I take it him and a lot of other people have never watched saturday night fever - all they know are the songs and think its a bright, happy, all sparkly disco musical. Its a look at a bunch of
    horrible young racist men stuck in no good, dead-end jobs who gang rape women, father unwanted children, commit suicide, battle with the oppression of family and the catholic church but who find some kind of solace from their worlds on the dance floors of seedy nightclubs
    . The music is great and uplifting but maybe he should actually rewatch the movie.

Thats maybe if he ever watched it in the first place

I thought it was Midnight Express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jonah Hill has probably done his fair share of interviews and picked up in it quick enough and I think that clip, the moment last week when he begged Ghrohl to compliment Irish fans and some clip of him making his 'compassionate face' as he asks someone about a recent death would be a fair summation of the mans work to date.
    i think tubs in known in hollywood circles as in AVOID his show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It's the latest faux atmospheric stripped down remake of a classic song. So beloved of TV programmes as background and theme music.

John Lewis got ahead of the game a number of years ago, and now everyone is copying them.

Totally formulaic.

John Caddell had a great term for those stripped down covers.

“W*nk”

• Advertisement

jonah knocked him sideways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit like all the mountains of books he supposedly reads.

Although i am sure he reads some books, I'd say he reads reviews of many other books and pretends he has read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I thought it was Midnight Express.

Express / Cowboy ....
    my point is SNF isnt the all singing , all dancing disco fest Ryan seems to think it is.

Mod - I've deleted a couple of posts. Whilst we may critique Ryan's presenting style, please let's not go too much beyond that on this thread.

Ryan, are we keeping within our 5 kilometres? ;)

The other day he referred to his "local shop" in The Rise, Mount Merrion. Now we hear about Dún Laoghaire pier. That's quite the walk. Of course could be visiting mother etc too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Don't worry everyone living abroad, we've sent you copies of Ireland's Own as per Ryan's paid promotion kind suggestion last week.

Visit a graveyard? That's more Joe Duffy's idea of a day out.

Turned on the radio and the first thing I hear is "Visit a graveyard". Turns radio off. No idea what the context was.

A made up email.

Turned on the radio and the first thing I hear is "Visit a graveyard". Turns radio off. No idea what the context was.

It was among a list of suggestions of things to do during pandemic.

Rabble rousing Ryan. Thought that was Duffy's speciality too.

Another cemetery mention.

Ryan now trolling people who are nervous of catching Covid, telling them not to go out if they are nervous.

Ryan now trolling people who are nervous of catching Covid, telling them not to go out if they are nervous.

Astonishing! Ryan tells us everyone is obeying the regulations. When a listener informs him that some people aren’t obeying distancing rules, he tells them ( the listener ) not to go out!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A made up email.

There were quite a few of those this morning, and texts. All sounding suspiciously like they were penned by the same staffer writer. Conspiratorial of me no doubt. I'm probably a bad egg too.

His stupid put on accents really annoyed me this morning even more than usual - if that was possible.

• Advertisement

Rabble rousing Ryan. Thought that was Duffy's speciality too.

I've said this before. Ryan is basically a younger, posher, slightly better educated clone of the Duffmeister.

I didn't watch TLLS, how bad was the Bee Gees interview?

Cemeteries, Funerals, videoing corpses.

Is it 13.45?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

A beautiful funeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

A beautiful funeral no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

There were quite a few of those this morning, and texts. All sounding suspiciously like they were penned by the same staffer writer. Conspiratorial of me no doubt. I'm probably a bad egg too.

His stupid put on accents really annoyed me this morning even more than usual - if that was possible.

That "yeeeeees" thing he does constantly :mad:

Walking stick with Sherlock holmes head, given to him by a beautiful antique shop..... and no shock horror - it's related to the current caller.

Toy show mention...... check.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Walking stick with Sherlock holmes head, given to him by a beautiful antique shop..... and no shock horror - it's related to the current caller.

Was it a freebie?

EDIT: It was!

• Advertisement

Was it a freebie?

EDIT: It was!

There is something very off and very strange about a multi-millionaire tax avoider constantly shilling for things for free which he can well afford. Aside from the whiff of entitlement from it, it's actually very sad on many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

A walking stick with a Sherlock holmes head.. /quote]

Which is also an accurate description of Ryan! :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭top floor

"Morbidly kind" .... for filming the deceased at a wake.

ha ha ha i read that wrong earlier and thought you suggested DLB was a walking stick with a sherlock holmes head

And they are related to the quaint other-worldly horologist who was on the Toy Show as a chisler.

And they are related to the quaint other-worldly horologist who was on the Toy Show as a chisler.

have you seen their website? some great stuff if you have money to burn

• Advertisement

have you seen their website? some great stuff if you have money to burn

Can you share a link. I missed the segment.

Filming a wake. Jesus. Joe Duffy will have kittens when he heard about THAT.

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

Freebies list since 23 September 2020

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener
    Turntable Mat (received amongst other record player accessories)
    Original Copy (and artwork) of Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas single (received in return for Arnotts Gift Card)
    World’s Biggest Selection Box (as seen in a child’s hands)
    Slippers
    Book about Frederick Douglass (Hamilton musical related). Specifically stated he didn’t want freebie.

Freebie Received List:

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free Bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free Essential oils for mask
    Free Buns from Bewleys
    Free Trip on the Irish Navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free Accessories for vinyl record player
    Free Flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and Barrett supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free Book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free Pints
    Free Sweets from Shandons
    Free Loose leaf tea
    Free Bread knives
    Free Candles possibly wickless candles
    Free Teapot
    Free Vinyl record (Beatles/McCartney)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free Halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free Fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free Crisps and Earplugs
    Free Greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free Bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free Face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free Books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again
    Free invite to chess convention
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Book (Elf Isolation)
    Free crate of Club Orange
    Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)
    Free Ireland's Own Annual
    Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).
    Free Paul McCartney - Back in the CCCP vinyl album.
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin Christmas Decorations
    Free Puffin Christmas Cards
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free Meal in Kilmore Quay
    Free Motivational Quote Cards
    Free Book (Dauntless Courage)
    Free CD
    Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Craft Beer Selection
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)
    Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)
    Free Personalised Water bottle
    Free White Vinyl Christmas record
    Free Handmade Cards
    Free Magazine about schools during Covid
    Free Donegal Calendar
    Free Bird Calendar (includes Puffin)
    Free Fry’s Chocolate Bars – 4 pack - (Passed over to Mater Tubridy)
    Free Patricia Gibney Book
    Free Terry Reilly book – Ballina People
    Free signed Rick Stein in France book
    Free American edition of Liz Nugent Book
    Free Frederick Douglass book (as asked for earlier this week, but no mention of payment).
    Free Sanatorium (Abi Palmer) book
    Free Robert Harris Book V2
    Free Coffee Beans
    Free Grand Canal to Dodder Book
    Free Murder Mutiny and the Muglins Book
    Free Smart Cooking Books – both editions.
    Free Acts of Desperation by Megan Nolan book.
    Free Sherlock Holmes walking stick

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies, and the requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

Freebies list since 23 September 2020

Freebie Request List:

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies, and the requests.

This is getting more and more damning everyday. The sheer lenght of the list would embarrassment to anyone capable of feeling any shame like a normal person

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886efafb027a15b1e9a7c7dcffe2b95381bce5032a5&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement