Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

'It's D Day, it's June 6 and there's a band of brothers and sisters whose nerves are a little big gone as they head to war. This academic minefield... knowing that everyone will get out of it alive because it's an exam and it's an annoying exam.

It's one I completely dislike, I despise the Leaving Certificate. I think it's cruel, mean and awful. I hate it. I know some people think it's great, I just think it puts a whole generation under the heebie-jeebies. It carries right through the rest of your life for many people. You get the nightmares, the nerves are gone and PTSD. There has to be a kinder way to test people's knowledge and ability. We haven't got there yet,' he said.

Ryan added: 'I hope you're doing okay and you get through it. Remember in the great scheme of things it's going to tip by in a few days and then freedom. It's not your fault you have to sit this horrible exam, it's the system, and until they fix it you just have to keep going and be brilliant. It's over soon.

It's only exam, there's loads of options... just roll with the punches, take on your exams and slay the dragon... We're on your side.'

More utterly pointless scutter. All he's doing is just waffling and filling airtime. He probably thinks that it's awfully unfair that people have to work more than five hours a week or don't earn hundreds of thousands. Completely deluded individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Yeah it was straight back into the pointless rambling. The Vespa given to him by U2 had a licence plate that meant a lot to him, so much so that he couldn't remember what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It sounded to me like he was expecting more than a "hairdryer with notions" and he was trying to explain why they gave him something smaller than they gave to Gaybo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

2RYN XU2

He won't be taking to the road with that plate.

Maybe wait for a shiny new 232 D.

It's a lovely little machine, fair play to the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Could the kids not just, chose fun,

Deluded tool

Mod: user was warned for this comment.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

Had the misfortune of hearing his monologue this morning.

What I summised is that he is as inauthentic as ever. Preaching his message of kindness to the leaving cert students and telling yarns of how he met kids that were in awe of the Toyman 😳, kids that he met on holidays last week.

Meanwhile his own daughter is starting the leaving today, clearly didn't take the day off to drop her and be there to support her and wasn't around for the last week and half to just be there for her. I don't know another dad, as fantastic as him, that would disappear on holidays on top of exam time. A total spoof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Did he wish the couple of bad eggs, good luck after they called him a banker last year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Ah here, this wanker does f**k all research, “and in soccer news”

What a …..

Moderator: glenfieldman was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Did the DLB just read out a comment from Duke Slow Crucifix?

I know he's always at it, but he really seems to be doubling down on the 'I'm old but I care about young people' routine. Could be rehearsing for his next TV gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

"Sarah Jessica Parker, who I've never met..." - glad he cleared that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

He was on the last day in the background and all I heard was CONSTANT PRATTLE, PRATTLE, PRATTLE. I switched off immediately. Does he never give up. So fed up with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"kids mightn't listen to their parents but they will isten to The ToyMan"

Yes he actually read that out (probably write it too, to be fair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Was going to post that little nugget but you beat me to it.

Leaving cert Hons maths students listening and taking advice from the 'Tman'

As the students themselves might say 'Yea right' or 'On yer bike grandad'

It's frightening how deluded he is.

And the language he uses to describe a state exam "mean", "cruel", "unkind" and goes on to describe "the war" those young people are "battling right now". What producer allows this?

The leaving cert may need some adjustments but this narrative he's weaving is insane!

It's also so transparent to see he is engaging with the 17/18 year olds who know him as the "Toy Man" (self titled) and will be of voting age when he runs for presidency. He's hoping he can attract that vote by appearing to champion their causes.

Expect many more outside broadcasts with the radio show, like the one to University of Limerick over the coming year. We the tax payer are funding his soft campaign under the guise of entertainment.

Expect non stop social feeds of "irishness" as per today's insta posts confirming his strong irish roots.

The King of Kindess is purely driven by his own personal ambition.

• Ryan having a chat with ChatGBT to help himcraft media posts:

Here's a possible tweet for you: "I believe in the power of giving back. Whether it's supporting a local charity or volunteering my time, I strive to make a positive impact in my community and beyond. Let's all do our part to make the world a better place. #humble #charitable #giveback"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Straight into Leaving Cert.

Then on to Reading books.

• “All the troublesome exams are over, you can breath, there’s only the likes of biology, history and (all the little exams)”

Does Ryan realise History is currently one of the hardest subjects to achieve an honour in?

Of course he doesn't.

Ryan has no grasp on real life at all. He lives in a cushy little bubble where you work for an hour per day, well waffle for an hour per day. And read and walk and watch TV. All for nearly half a mill per year.

09:27, still riffing.

..... and compulsory sick child story.

• Unpleasant medical test this afternoon, I feel buoyed up for the day after listening to Ryan.

What should he be talking about? Any examples?

Maybe something different? He's been talking about books for about a decade or more now, to try to present an image of a highly read person, when I would guess it's not as much as he pretends.

Plus, he's always chats about the Leaving Cert at this time of the year, to allow him to pretend he cares about the poor kids.

And his 3rd topic today was a sick child, another of his regulars.

• Advertisement

In a land where snowflakes dance, where Christmas cheer is in every glance,

There lurks a villain, wicked and sly, known as the Toyman, born to terrify.

With a heart as dark as the winter night, he weaves his web of fear and fright,

For in his workshop, evil does dwell, where joy turns sour, and dreams dispel.

Beneath a cloak of tattered black, he crafts his toys with a devilish knack,

Each creation holds a sinister spell, enchanting nightmares, as his victims fell.

His eyes gleam with a haunting glow, as he watches children down below,

For in their dreams, they bring him power, his malevolent plan to devour.

The Toyman's laughter echoes wide, as he spreads his malice far and wide,

He wraps his toys in deceitful guise, a sinister game behind innocent eyes.

Puppet soldiers with hearts of ice, mechanical dolls that wield a vice,

Children's dreams, once filled with glee, are tainted now by dread's decree.

In the darkest corners, he does reside, the Toyman's presence none can hide,

Parents tremble, their hearts grow cold, as whispers of his deeds unfold.

He preys upon the innocent souls, their laughter silenced, as fear takes its toll,

No gift can quell their growing fright, as the Toyman's reign consumes the night.

So let us face this villainous plight, armed with love and shining bright,

The Toyman's grip shall weaken and wane, as joy and hope return again.

In the spirit of Christmas, let us remember true, that love conquers fear in all we do,

And though the Toyman may seek to destroy, the power of unity we shall employ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Please leave the sad passing of christy dignam out of your freakish vendetta of turbidy.you people used vicky phealan as a stick to beat turbidy with,please leave christys name out of this sick circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Pat Kenny and Stuart Clarke just handled the death of Christy in a respectful, dignified and appropriate manner. Tubs did it as only Tubs can

I was only half listening to it earlier, did he say something (after about 15 - 20 minutes of talking about his death) that now wasn't an appropriate time for this discussion?

• Advertisement

I'm suspecting less prep than usual this morning

'Man paid close to €500k out of public money to talk drivel about Bambi and Watership Down'. You really couldn't make this stuff up when it comes to RTÉ.

• I heard sone drivel getting out of the car after the show started about young people in the office versus “old people”, “let us not drive divide”… and then goes onto do just that.

To the children he’s the (now ex) Toyman, to the “young people” he’s an understanding hero on their level, and to the rest of us he is a shining example of how to be around everybody.

Zero

"I don't know what I'm talking, im just reading this" he says during his monologue.

Then onto very, very weird chat about death and in his words "darkness" in kids cartoons. He was really indulging his gra for utter missery. What was that even about?

Swipes then at people who are working from home. He really has no clue what the average worker does. He is so incredibly out of touch.

Now taking about the death of a ground hog.... What is wrong with him.

Yesterday, fake spit swallowimg of his grief for Christy and now chuckling away about the death of animals. He's so odd.

• Advertisement

This is something that's really irritating about him. He seems to genuinely believe that he's some sort of empath but without thinking he'll come out with some completely inappropriate reaction to a serious event e.g. the time he was getting amusement out of the report of a man being eaten alive by a crocodile, he even read out a 'joke' about by an equally tone deaf individual.

You are quite right.

For me it was very clear that he lacked any class of empathy or integrity when he likened women breastfeeding their babies to someone urinating in public and berated them for doing so.

It's a thin mask he wears.

If anyone wants to hear a highly paid guy absolutely wing it for 23min, talking nonsense, with no coherent ideas, I would urge you to listen back to that riffing this morning.

As someone who did hear it I would urge those who didn't hear it to take our word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan Tubridy has called out 'tight-fisted' people after former US President Donald Trump didn't pay for people's meals in a Miami restaurant despite saying he would.

Pity that Trump doesn't have a radio show where he could have mentioned the restaurant, instead of paying.

Oh, the irony.

From a man who got a list of freebies sent to him on a near daily basis.

Someone here used to keep a list of the freebies our Ryan got, and it stretched for pages.

For me this just keeps going back to the fact that RTÉ are paying various people very high salaries to talk about this sort of irrelevant rubbish just because it's of interest to them. This sort of carry on by Trump has absolutely no relevance to this country yet Tubridy is talking about it any chance he gets.

Same with Claire Byrne's apparent general interest with US society, there was a full piece on fentanyl abuse in the US the other day - I may have missed something but there was no attempt to link this to Ireland. I do feel sorry for people addicted to it but I can't see how this justifies 10 or 15 minutes discussion on national radio, nor did I get any sense from her why it should. It just appeared to be something she found interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Her biggest fascination remains covid and other doomsday viruses-she was still droning about C19 just the other day in her usual hushed monotone as I quickly skipped past.

That's her fetish, his is orange man bad, or alternatively, anything to do with himself. A middle aged version of My News on national radio of a morning.

They call it 'content'.

I would call it filler, in the case of Claire Byrnes show.

With Tubs, it's just waffle.

I had major surgery a while back and was on oxy , I had a full week in hospital and luuuuuuv drugs so on day 2 they gave me Panadol and I was like “where’s me oxy “ and the nurse gave me the best answer… “why?”

and she was right 100%, that’s why we’re fine and Americans are dying

• Advertisement
Advertisement