Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Did I hear mention from the committee on Thursday that one of the things they want to look into is the gift register 🤔

Anyone have it handy there that ye could forward on to them 😂 I'd love to compare the two side by side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I always assumed the babbling about inane aspects of American culture was due to Tubridy, listening to this crap about pickle ball, or whatever it is puts, an end to that. Must be one of the researchers' pet interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

FFS, heard Simon (today is a good day) bluffer Donnelly on drivetime, when asked about Tubs he said, and i **** you not,

During covid Ryan was a calming reassuring voice amongst the panic of the pandemic 🤔😒😲😲, FFS Ryan loved the misery, he had extra misery guests, to prolong the pain , he loved COVID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I heard Catherine 'I let so much sh!t build up on my desk without ever dealing with it' Martin asked, 'should RT ever be back on the RTE stage too and she faffed about. RT should be consigned to history - simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You are correct Ginneral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

While a lot of people can't understand how tubs gets away with just coasting through an hour radio show with false laughing and wokness,

On drive time after Donnelly had said tubs had saved Ireland from COVID 🤔😒😲

They asked should he come back? Among the bring him back texters were,

It's the best radio show, with laughter, empathy and great guests 🤔

And he's a brilliant presenter, very skilled and down to earth 😒😲, he probably didn't know about or want the extra money as he doesn't live extravagantly 😂😂

Is it any wonder we get constantly screwed as a nation when you get people who believe everything they are told 😒😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

In a lot of organisations there is a 50 euro 💶 limit on gifts, anything over could be mistaken for a bribe

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I don't understand why this fella keeps trying to do accents and funny voices.

He can't do either.

Callan is about as funny as having to bathe and dress an elderly parent.

It's almost like they're trying the prove the narrative.

If we don't pay the likes of tubs 400k we will have to put up with this sh|te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OC is not quite my cup of tea but I consider him to be a safe pair of hands for his current job.

It's also worth bearing in mind that he makes a living being funny.

So does June Rodgers. Doesn’t mean she’s funny. Neither is Callan. He’s not funny, a terrible impressionist, and insufferably smug to boot.

Terrible replacement.

In your opinion.

However people actually pay OC and June to be funny and that's the bottom line.

If nobody found them funny the gigs and the cash would dry up.

Showbiz is an odd thing and doesn't go by the everyday rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I really like Oliver in this slot and hope he gets to stay. I just couldn't listen to Tubridy.

I prefer when Brendan Courtney covers but Oliver Callan is still infinitely more tolerable than Tubridy and he doesn't treat the hour, and the public money he's being paid from, with the same contempt Tubridy does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Oliver Callan is grand. Simply a nicer human being in general - not hard to be nicer than Ryan in fairness. I find Callan's satire very clever and it cuts to the bone. The Tories hate him for some perceived slight inflicted I think. They'd have him whacked if they thought they could get away with it.

Dunno if he'd actually be interested in taking Ryan's slot (which will become vacant soon enough) and if he was interested, he'd want to make it his own and stop following Ryan's lazy format (waffle a load of crap and a misery interview)

While what's funny might be subjective. Impressionism is not.

You eithier sound like the people or not. This guy cannot do impressions. If he's making a living from that. Then he's stealing it.

It's just another example of how bad the 'talent' is that people think this guy is "OK" to replace it.

We need to have higher expectations for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who is filling in this week? OC again?

I was actually referring to the funny side of his schtick but not to worry.

As I said he is a safe pair of hands in the current circumstances.

I'm not promoting him for the full time gig.

• Advertisement

Anton Savage would be a good shout, but of course he is the son of Terry Prone and the former RTÉ chairman Tom Savage so that would immediately have the online obsessive crew getting into a huff about nepotism. The sorts who think nothing is ever given on merit and that nobody should be paid more than they are.

Yes lad, he seems to have copped on that his sniping politically and his lack of satire against the Shinners wasn’t a good job competency.

Could be a bit of a conflict of interest with his ‘impressionist’ career though!,

Depends which grinds out the biggest wedge I suppose.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It may be largely academic, but it is over 6 months since I threadbanned ButtersSuki and following assurances over future posting I have advised him I am lifting the threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Any theories as to when Ryan will be coming back? I predict before 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi Brendan,

I know we’ve discussed this in the Callan’s Kicks thread but I genuinely don’t see what you see on this. Mary Lou is probably the most used character on CK now, and Doherty, O’Neill, and O’Broin all feature regularly.

On another note, delighted to be back.

Have I missed anything?

• Advertisement

Oliver Callan has been on for the last number of weeks, not sure what's going on there.

I am aware of that.

It was intended as a joke considering all the shenanigans so to speak.........

Aah the Butthers, welcome back from purdah!

Now I was not referring to CK in that post I was referring to when he started first deputising for Mr T, his opening spiel was usually a diatribe against Varadker who took most of his ire.

Now I’m not saying he was wrong or anything but since he became ‘semi-permanent on the replacement he does not mention politics at all.

Regarding CKs it’s so long since I heard an episode I cannot recall in detail, and I need detail to explain my point.

If there is a new series this autumn I will be delighted to explain in detail it’s little subtleties from my point of view.

Hope that’s ok with your good self.

Leo and Callan aren't exactly best buds.....

Plenty of other history between them too. Leo seems very thin-skinned regarding any and all criticism of him from all quarters, but particularly from Callan.

As for the other comments re. the show - sure! Though I suspect Callan's Kicks may be a casualty if Callan gets the Tubs slot on a permanent basis.I'm sure some of the more anti-Callan and anti-Callan's Kicks crew on here (not putting you in either category btw) would be delighted with that part of any reshuffle though.

• Advertisement

Hmmm…. Would you not think that Callan could do the two gigs timewise?

Would it be a conflict of interest issue do you think.

All depends I suppose to the wedge he is getting for doing the radio slot.

He’s developed into a quite good broadcaster in that slot in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Could be 2 birds with 1 stone, Bren. We won’t have to endure ‘Callan’s Kicks’ or any Tubridy obsessions.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Good lad E, now whatever about CKs ,casa Bendar will not hear any more from Mr.T.

Time is up, I say, time is up…

Little subtlety which I refer to happened this am.on the show.

Oliver was referring to Meehaul Martin and his use of the ‘going forward’ phrase and in the course of the very harmless discussion mentioned jokingly I think that he would have to find something to “balance that” and then said he wouldn’t bother.

In his early days ‘ad Hokking’ for RT he hammered Varadker especially with no mention at all of ‘balance’,all of which leads me to believe he was told to ‘tone it down’ when the gig became a more constant radio show.

@Butterssuki …Those are some of the little subtleties I allude to.

One has to listen carefully and evaluate.

All harmless but it struck a chord…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Isn't it great that Tubridy is off air and we wont have to listen to him using Sinead O'Connor's death to boost his brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Bit of a bad connection to batter Tubs

let the woman rest in peace

May she indeed rest in peace.....without the insincere bullshit he would have no doubt been spouting had he still had his platform.

He'd have been in his element between this and Christy Dignam's death. His kind "soul" on full display for all to see.

And he won't be around to continue capitalising on Charlie Bird's illness either.

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why can't the presenter, either Callan or someone else, simply get on with the radio programme? Callan is just going over tabloid stuff for the first fifteen minutes daily. That stuff is more suitable for Radio 2 or wherever.

And yes forget about the silly voices and the comedy routine. If you are a serious broadcaster just get on with it and...grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

That is the format, read from the paper then guest. It isn't a good format, or one I like. But that is what it is. I will say at least Callan seems to do some prep beforehand. Instead of reading the articles first time on air.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm…… there’s not a whole lot else one can put into that slot really.

Callan, in fairness presents a much ‘fresher’ programme than the staleness and musty output from RT.

I have to disagree with you there, Brendan, vehemently. Callan, as a broadcaster, is very very poor. And as an impressionist he is about as funny as a sniff film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

" a sniff film."

Is that a film where someone dies unexpectedly from a mild cold?

Did Callan go to the “fancy school”? Most people from Monaghan sound like something went wrong in their preschool years, but Callan has this pompous accent that crosses over into Received Pronunciation the odd time. Like Micheal D. Comes from decades of believing in your own greatness.

No Breener, it’s a film you watch after finding a black package floating in the sea up around Dunfanaghy.

Apparently ‘Cotton comes to Harlem’ is one of the favourites.

So I’m told anyway……

Oliver Callan is treating this with much more respect than Tubridy would, I can imagine the fake mournful voice being laid out while he uses the news to pat himself on the back for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭calculator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

When did this monologue thing start anyway does anyone know? I have always felt it was simply a ploy by the particular broadcaster to just get more air time or in other word more 'me time'. More' me time' means a higher profile- meaning broadcaster is more marketable. This more gigs come his or her way.

But I don't need Callan repeating the gossip from the Daily Mail or the Sun. It is tiring so i switch off.

Despite all of that, I hope Callan continues at the expense of Tubridy. If he comes back he will be on air for approx 50 minutes a day. I wonder how much he would settle for to get back on air? My understanding is that he wants to return as he 'has nothing else' as he said himself.. It seems to me that the boot is on the other foot now.

I wonder what Callan's listening figures are? (How do you find out?) If they are the same as Tubridy's then Tubridy's bluff is called. As are many of the other bloated pay checks of the others especially D'arcy. They have been getting away with it for years.

If Tubridy returns I would not pay him more than, say, E60,000 pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I think this is a hangover from the Gerry Ryan Show days on 2FM. Gerry used to start his show by reviewing the papers and doing a monologue, but I don't think he made a slot to talk about himself unlike RT. I never really understand this reviewing newspapers after 9 am (or in D'Arcy''s case 3 p.m.). Most radio stations do a paper review on their Breakfast Shows so it's something that has been sufficiently covered IMO.

Post edited by Red Fred on

• Advertisement

If Tubridy returns I would not pay him more than, say, E60,000 pa.

That’s insanity, when you consider how much revenue his show brings in. Be realistic.

Advertisement