Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

After full and frank discussions with a radio moderator, I was kindly permitted to create this thread.
    It is intended for genuine discussion of the program content. Focusing on the content of the show. It is not a parody thread.

There is already a parody thread which excellently discusses the presenter and his mannerisms in forensic detail.
    The parody thread is for individuals who take a keen interest in those matters who may or may not enjoy the show. It is a thread where there is an ironic/satirical/vindictive look at the presenter, his speech patterns, mannerisms, his wages, memes.freebie lists, and so on. With the utmost endeavour.

See below:

‘The Toyman: a wry look at the Ryan Tubridy Show’

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115898166

Although that thread is superbly done on those aspects (and is the clearly the heir apparent to the satirical cultural behemoth in the boards.ie radio section) -
    This thread here is not intended for that type of satirical discussion.

It is intended to move away from that ‘personality’ based discussion and focus on the actual content of the show. Rather than the distraction of a ‘personality’ based discussion which prevails in the parody thread above.

When I say discussion I do not mean simple one liners. It would be nice if posters backed up why they hold the viewpoint.
    I trust any moderator will objectively view this thread in its appropriate light on the basis of its intent. It is hoped that this thread will be a more welcoming one for those posters who listen to the show, and wish to discuss its content and/or topics. Away from the satirical type of discussion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There was mention today of the Stella Cinema in Ranelagh and Keem Bay on Achill Island Beach in Achill in Mayo. For their ascetics. I suppose you call it a nice bit of escapism given the times that are in it.

Bit of trivia about a Churchill painting owned by FDR and found its way to Brad Pitt. Pitt got the Churchill bug after his part in the film Inglorious Bastards. Personally I was always mixed on that film to be honest. If I remember it was a bit on the long side.

The Arás got a new Dog apparently I am not sure the Dogs name was mentioned. It is the same breed as the other dog that is already there - Bród.
    Likely an Irish name I suppose. It was a filler bit really building up to the Peig discussion

Personally, I was not too keen on the interview with yer wan from TG4 who is doing a show about Peig Sayers. Peig can feck off as far as I am concerned!

I enjoyed the conspiracy theories bit interesting discussion with a fella called Stephen Murphy - the marketing Prof who studied it. Best bit of the show in my opinion. Shame it was only tagged on the end for a few minutes.

Echoes of all social media and even this format! Mentions of status and reputation within a 'community' people who think the same with their conspiracies. Resulting in its spread basically a creation of a perfect storm. Built on frustration, isolation, and external pressures.

I thought there was a decent flow to the show. Took his time to get motoring though maybe spend a bit too long on the cinema stuff. Too much time given to the Peig discussion imo, and not enough time given to why people believe in conspiracy theories.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Well done on getting this thread set up!!! Not an easy task I would wager given the prevailing tenor of posts and what is allowed be posted in the Radio forum.

I enjoy the 10-15 minutes I hear of a morning before I start work. A little bit of adult radio as opposed to the children and childish ‘bantz’ on RTE’s second radio station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It was a filler bit really building up to the Peig discussion

Personally, I was not too keen on the interview with yer wan from TG4 who is doing a show about Peig Sayers. Peig can feck off as far as I am concerned!.

Always found it odd that Peig Sayers’ work got some grief for, allegedly, being somewhat embellished but that charlatan Frank McCourt still gets praised and lauded.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Always found it odd that Peig Sayers’ work got some grief for, allegedly, being somewhat embellished but that charlatan Frank McCourt still gets praised and lauded.

Peig always looked upon her own life with positivity and humour, thankful to God for the smaller mercies etc. However, to me, as a teenager, not the most inspirational :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

That was Churchill's old euphemism for depression.

Indeed it was, but Tubridy thought it was referring to an actual dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Indeed it was, but Tubridy thought it was referring to an actual dog!

The insurance company dog, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I wonder will a certain good egg now be labeled as a bad egg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He actually sounds like a man who has run out of things to waffle about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

after footage form GE's private bar?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

Yeah, like you were at a disco.

Come On Eileen is an awful song.

Unless he has Kevin Rowland on the LLS as a guest, in which case it's a fantastic song.

Fake student email.
    Every waking minute indoors to comply with restrictions. The restrictions allow you to leave the house.

“It’s a pandemic, you can’t have a party”

Unless it’s a retirement party in RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Sounds class.

If you YouTube the galway rag week particulary boisterous events from a few years ago you might spot yours truly !!

It was an impromptu party in limerick ryan so therefore it's ok by rtes own standards. You havnt a leg to stand on. Fake email KLAXON

who the **** composed that email?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

C'mon, if you were in college you would be at any of them houseparties.....i would anyway

Here comes the propaganda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

'Just that last push'
    where the hell have I heard that one before.
    Shut up. Shut up. Shut up, ya fool.

Making promises again about opening up.

Has he not learnt his lesson from before?

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    who the **** composed that email?

Bryan would have you believe a student in UL wrote it last night whilst lamenting the partying behaviour of their peers.

Clearly it was written by a staffer or one of the producers. Part of me wonders does Tubs actually know they’re fake, or does he think they’re real.

Trying and failing to simultaneously say that some statues are ****e but also not offending the sculpture

Not just promoting this week’s “beautiful” Late Late, we’re now promoting a future one. 2 beautifuls no less.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Trying and failing to simultaneously say that some statues are ****e but also not offending the sculpture

#woke

The fact that a late late might be on a Wednesday and not a friday seems to absolutly boggle the mind of rte staff.

Enormously over-emphasized THAT.

• Advertisement

Does he do any prep at all?

He reads like he is seeing these pieces for the 1st time ever.

Or maybe he isn't a very eloquent reader.

The fact that a late late might be on a Wednesday and not a friday seems to absolutly boggle the mind of rte staff.

Imagine the out of hours and overtime payments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

NIMAN wrote: »

He reads like he is seeing these pieces for the 1st time ever.

Or maybe he isn't a very eloquent reader.

How dare you! Do you know how many books this man gets through?!

"Well done for hanging in there" - Ryan to other rte stations

How dare you! Do you know how many books this man gets through for free?!

FYP

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

No.

Enormously over-emphasized THAT.

Another one.

just popping down to teddys for a 99

lat-lat0120742.webp

Bryan’s idea of democracy is everyone agreeing with his opinions.

Ryan associates crowds with sweat.

It's been mentioned in connection with going to matches, concerts and now discos.

It's what he thinks while looking down from the free ticket corporate box like Göth.

I wonder will a certain good egg now be labeled as a bad egg?

VERY strange Bryan wouldn’t say goodbye to a parting colleague and all round good egg isn’t it? No retirement party?

It’s almost like they’re trying to erase history already.

I wonder why?

RTE is now the official Lives of Others outlet for the Sta(si)te.
    In some cases only.

545669.jpg

It's been mentioned a few times that he listens to Conans podcast frequently ( he called him his 'friend' after interviewing him badly once over zoom).

This can only be a positive development as if he doesnt have the self awareness to wonder why Conan is so good and interviews and what can be done to improve maybe some good traits will rub off on him accidentaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Has anyone mentioned Sonia's statue?

It's been mentioned a few times that he listens to Conans podcast frequently ( he called him his 'friend' after interviewing him badly once over zoom).

This can only be a positive development as if he doesnt have the self awareness to wonder why Conan is so good and interviews and what can be done to improve maybe some good traits will rub off on him accidentaly.

He does in his hoop. If he listened to Conan regularly he’d resign.

• Advertisement

I’m out. Well done to any of you who make it to 9:58

Dublin writer talking about tech (american accent - we all know where this is going).

Freewheeling from now untill 10, and out of control gibberish from 9 untill now has got us here. Serious money invoiced for this utter rubbish today. Would rather listen to the limerick party clip on a loop for an hour. I guess that could easily happen on liveline later if Duffy gets a hold of the clip. I'm out.

CH3OH wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Sonia's statue?

Topic was bad statues - I think 2 or 3 nice statues were mentioned. Pointless topic to bring up as he wont say anything negative.

The latter part of the show should be sub-titled "People Who Agree With Me" .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Does she have a book? Never would have known

Also Google caused the rent increase in dublin...confirmed

I can't believe that she is still on!

Intriguing

he wants more punk!! Tubridy is the least punk fella that ever existed!

Imagine him interviewing the Sex Pistols in their day.

Ryan partying...... beyond my imagination

• Advertisement

Ryan checking that the student who rings into his quiz didn't go to any house parties.

'You know you'll be able to soon, dontcha?'
    He's unbearable.

Advertisement