Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

The premise of her book sounds interesting. But she comes across as a poor communicator.

He has no idea what she is talking about.

And there is a bizzare disconnect here where a man using catchphrases like "get out of Dodge" and whos favourite musician is Paul McCartney is complaining about someone being bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The premise of her book sounds interesting. But she comes across as a poor communicator.

He has no idea what she is talking about.

And there is a bizzare disconnect here where a man using catchphrases like "get out of Dodge" and whos favourite musician is Paul McCartney is complaining about someone being bland.

It does sound interesting.
    At least she mentioned people not on FB more than likely have profiles held by FB.
    Thanks for that, 'friends'!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

would you not just retire Linda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Linda Martin about to Get Lucky with a state dog pound.

PS I know she's very much involved in doggy welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wonder will a certain good egg now be labeled as a bad egg?

woke bloke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Will “Twoke McDermot” make an appearance on the Late Late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I very much doubt it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I very much doubt it.

Thought he’d be on about his grief for the race horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I very much doubt it.

Just hearing about the good egg getting cancelled. The irony of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Any update on what is going on with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Try Twitter!

I have no idea my self, there seems to be very little mention of what the actual issue is.

But obviously something out of the ordinary for him to simply stop turning up for work, and now to walk away from a cushy job.

If anyone can perhaps explain what the issue is, a pm would always be welcome!

I have no idea my self, there seems to be very little mention of what the actual issue is.

But obviously something out of the ordinary for him to simply stop turning up for work, and now to walk away from a cushy job.

If anyone can perhaps explain what the issue is, a pm would always be welcome!

Seems some young one came out on another forum and accused him of stuff, and then the floodgates started to open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Imagine the out of hours and overtime payments!
    relocation expenses

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Claire Byrne show has people on to discuss books for children.

Tubs will be disgusted he wasn't considered as an expert for the slot.

he puts on a childs voice and rings every day but it's an "is that you ryan...." situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tubs would recommend Patrick and The President and whatever the hell the Hilary the Sherp buke he wrote was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I disagree with Tubridy. I like ‘Come on Eileen’. Even if it is basically people pretending to be Irish. Irish persona’s and all.
    I was disappointed he did not name the three terrible statues that he was thinking of. Has anyone any ideas?

With the interview with the girl about ‘the disconnect’ book. Rosin Kiberd (the girl who breaks into dramatic whispers occasionally).
    Is she American or Irish or where is she from? Or a mix at this stage?

I am not sure her book is for my demographic.
    Like texters into the show said. You can turn it off or not join up. Nor do you have to become completely immersed in it.

Apparently social media is a 'necessity' according to Rosin! Completely disagree. You can ignore stuff you don’t need. She is just not used to a world without it. Afterall she was born in 1989.

It sort of reminds me of the same mindset of my elderly parents who HAVE to watch the news. 6 o clock and 9 o clock. Despite listening to the same news bulletins on the radio throughout the day. Yet Kiberd thinks the hunger for info and such habit forming is only from those of the younger generation.

Kiberd seems to have a love/hate relationship with the internet and terms facebook as bland. It sounded like she did not know what she wants. Caught in a vortex she can't leave. In fairness to her she is a freelance journalist with an obsession with all things internet (going by her past writings). So perhaps feels the need to keep her finger on the pulse for fear she would miss something. I had a gawk at one of the blurbs of her book I think the gist is social media creators like Zuckerburg are hypocritical. They want the ordinary person to reveal all their info. Yet Zuckerburg has two accounts. Plus it discusses trade off for those who have grown up with the internet - positives and negatives.

Linda Martin wants to keep the dogs in, until they are rehabilitated. Seemed to want to create a dog holiday home vibe. Rather than a concentration camp one. I like dogs myself, in fairness. Good luck to Linda. It would be very easy for her to do nothing and say ‘why me’.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Always found it odd that Peig Sayers’ work got some grief for, allegedly, being somewhat embellished but that charlatan Frank McCourt still gets praised and lauded.

I read Peig Sayers in english..It was a great read on how life was on the Blaskets ..It made me search out more about the Islands..The Islandman by Thomas O' Crohan,and 20 years a growing and others.I suppose Peig got grief because of people having to do it in Irish in schools..

I read Peig Sayers in english..It was a great read on how life was on the Blaskets ..It made me search out more about the Islands..The Islandman by Thomas O' Crohan,and 20 years a growing and others.I suppose Peig got grief because of people having to do it in Irish in schools..

And from my point of view had enough of Kerry beating Dublin over the years. Really rubbing salt into the wounds having to read about a Kerry woman from the Islands. I always remember teacher at school (A Kerryman) used to mischievously say to us Dubs. 'And yer main street is named after a Kerryman'!

• Advertisement

In spite of Peig, Blaskets is on my bucket list, along with Clare Island and Inishturk, Bere, Heir, Gabhla and Inishbofin (Donegal) the main Irish isles I have yet to visit. Next time I'm down adding me way, haven't been that way since 1969 when I was 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

The music choice was refreshingly different today.

I can’t recall what the song was, but think it was by The White Stripes.

The music choice was refreshingly different today.

I can’t recall what the song was, but think it was by The White Stripes.

It is called 'We're Going To Be Friends'

Funny band The White Stripes. They can come out with real crash, bang, wallop, stuff. Then suddenly throw in a quiet, melodic, and wistful song. Like that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I hope you’ve read ‘The Poor Mouth’ by Flann O’Brien.

Yeah, trying to get kids to study literature in Irish when they’re having enough trouble studying it in English was always a recipe for disaster.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

- looks like Tubridy's gonna have some leg-breaking to do around Montrose!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just perusing Twitter - looks like Tubridy's gonna have some leg-breaking to do around Montrose!!

Hah. Don’t get it??

Mod

Reminder - please no references from Twitter, Reddit, etc. Thanks.

looks like Tubridy's gonna have some leg-breaking to do around Montrose!!

POST OF THE DECADE.

Take a bow sir!

Mod

Reminder - please no references from Twitter, Reddit, etc. Thanks.

Apologies - I have edited my last post to remove the T word! :o
    Hah. Don’t get it??

t'was a reference to one of Tubridy's most memorable quotes.

You see, he hates violence against the fairer sex. It brings out the animal in him! Think "Charles Bronson in Death Wish".

I think it's ok to post newspaper links (apologies if wrong!), so here it is explained.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/id-come-over-to-your-house-and-break-your-legs-ryan-tubridy-struggles-to-keep-emotions-in-check-during-live-interview-with-domestic-abuser-30274324.html

• Advertisement

Of course he was, but like all of the top talent :rolleyes: he declined. Not for selfish or tax avoidance reasons that go completely against the spirit of the law at all. WHOY should talent like this be forced to pay PAYE? That’s for the little people. Throw in an artists exemption too for truly amazing works of literature like “Patrick and The President” and “Hilary the sheep’s Christmas Dildo” too purely as an output for the creative juices and not merely stupid books designed to maximize tax advantages not available to the great unwashed. A true patriot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Are you new here :)

Its just that it said that the vast majority of those offered the option, took it up.

I take it the exemptions were the elite?

Curious as to why Revenue were interested in such contracts? Surely they are doing nothing wrong?
    The issue is with RTE, who are facilitating it.

Its just that it said that the vast majority of those offered the option, took it up.

I take it the exemptions were the elite?

Curious as to why Revenue were interested in such contracts? Surely they are doing nothing wrong?
    The issue is with RTE, who are facilitating it.

Contractors are not supposed to be one man (or woman!!!!) bands! It’s completely against the spirit of the law. That’s the issue. These “companies” are just a front tier facilitate tax avoidance. Revenue have promised for years to crack down on this, but haven’t.

Contracts are also not supposed to be as infinitum - which the RTÉ types effectively are. The real problem is the “contractors” gain all the financial and tax benefits of being a contractor, whilst having the job security of an employee. And the benefits are enormous.

It’s wrong and dubiously legal (loopholes) on many levels.

Revenue are the losers. Now you may say “cool” to that, but these people are paying a fraction of the tax they would be were they employees - and they almost all are bit with the benefits of contractors! Put it this way, go into your employer tomorrow and say you opened up NIMAN Inc., and you’re now a contractor and can they pay you fees accordingly and let me know how you get on.

That a semi state would facilitate this is a real 2 fingers to the rest of us.

Contractors are not supposed to be one man (or woman!!!!) bands! It’s completely against the spirit of the law. That’s the issue. These “companies” are just a front tier facilitate tax avoidance. Revenue have promised for years to crack down on this, but haven’t.

Contracts are also not supposed to be as infinitum - which the RTÉ types effectively are. The real problem is the “contractors” gain all the financial and tax benefits of being a contractor, whilst having the job security of an employee. And the benefits are enormous.

Revenue are the losers. Now you may say “cool” to that, but these people are paying a fraction of the tax they would be were they employees - and they almost all are bit with the benefits of contractors! Put it this way, go into your employer tomorrow and say you opened up NIMAN Inc., and you’re now a contractor and can they pay you fees accordingly and let me know how you get on.

100% correct. Revenue closed in on the coach drivers who were availing of this loophole,in the recent past.

• Advertisement

But but but... eg... Claddaghgreen has 2 directors doing de wurk so to speak... one does de telephonist wurk snd de udder puts stamps on de envelopes for de invoicing of fees so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

- looks like Tubridy's gonna have some leg-breaking to do around Montrose!!

I think when it comes it Ryan would be more like Borris Johnson and pay someone else to do his work. Maybe he would send his butcher buddies around in their bloody white coats with cleavers!

Any rotters should be on the lookout for the Toyman and his band of butchers doleing out vigalinte justice on the streets of upmarket Dublin!

maybe he'll discuss it this morning in the news round-up section? Sure it's all over his beloved tabloids!

:D

maybe he'll discuss it this morning in the news round-up section? Sure it's all over his beloved tabloids!

Those bad eggs over at Revenue......

World Book Day will be used as a fitting distraction from that trivial ;) matter.

• Advertisement

No geysers in the middle of Reykjavik, Ryan.

Hes done lots of research into it dont you know.

Has anybody got a "dancing on a pinhead" meme ?

Pretty sure this same story was discussed last year when it actually happened. Is this just a clip from last year?

Am I imagining things or do I sence a castdown tubridy

Best of luck to my colleague who has left his role to go to pastures new as it says in the papers and also I see that some of other colleagues are no longer avoiding paying their fair share of tax like the rest of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

2E91282F00000578-3325415-image-m-142_1447941240664.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148860ed343f4e390d5ee2a2f7eabe0583c6788ccddc9&rid=giphy.gif

A centre of culture for Ryan to visit when he gets there.

I thought you were meant to avoid nasty Amazon and shop local Bryan? Why do you have the app?

I thought you were meant to avoid nasty Amazon and shop local Bryan? Why do you have the app?

Outa here with you're aul guff !! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement