Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Ryan begging britmore and o Leary in the green room for tips on how to make it in the UK.

Una always welcome.

"Britmore" .... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Tubridy trying (and failing) to compete with the 15 year old philosophy student is as toe curlingly embarrassing as him trying to go toe to toe with Stephen Fry a few months ago.

It's an awful shame he doesn't have the self awareness to know when he is out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,187 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tubridy trying (and failing) to compete with the 15 year old philosophy student is as toe curlingly embarrassing as him trying to go toe to toe with Stephen Fry a few months ago.

It's an awful shame he doesn't have the self awareness to know when he is out of his depth.

Kinda snitched in her when she didn’t greet her teacher :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A quiz where you get the answer wrong and he gives you another chance. Just give her the prize for getting on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Unreal banter

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Unreal banter

Worth every cent of the half a million!

A quiz where you get the answer wrong and he gives you another chance. Just give her the prize for getting on air.

His name is Mr T

Named because he’s black and wants you to call him mister

And she didn’t know his name

Racist

"We'll see you on the LLS tonight. It's going to be a real feel good show" says Ryan.

This, from the RTE website:

"Ryan will also speak with Zoe Holohan, the Dubliner whose life was torn apart during the Greek wildfires of 2018, which claimed the life of her new husband Brian just days into their honeymoon"

Feel good, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This thread is just not necessary.

Too happy? Or miserable and angry but just not angry enough?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This thread is just not necessary.
    Its just one poster talking to themselves and a moderator playing along with it.....

I have reported this/these to the mods. Just to let you know, in the interests of transparency.

This thread is just for genuine discussion of the content of the show as I clearly stated in the OP. Which maybe was not made clear enough for you?

I will not comment on the other 'wry' thread further here, as it is not my place to do so. But merely let others read the two, and they can draw their own conclusions - after reading them.

Have a nice day.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Unreal banter

Similar to this thread? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

I hAtE iT wHeN wE fIgHt

If it bugs you so much, why do you read it?
    How’s the fan thread going ?
    AKA the thread for all the Beautiful Gorgeous Delicious People

It is not a fan thread merely for genuine discussion based on the content of the show. Positive or negative.

Why did I read this thread?

Because one of it's clique has attempted to derail the genuine discussion thread already! Which I knew would happen. It is by product of the 'culture' on this thread. The moderator will have a tough job I think.

What do I think of this thread?

Honestly, in most polite terms, lacking in self-awareness/irony albeit an interesting insight into the human condition. Group think, peer pressure, vindictiveness, and even ego. A secondary school/college/second childhood vibe with lots of 'in jokes' repeated. 'Top Bantz' as the English say.

With some manufactured gripes where there are none to be had. Something to gripe about in a hypothetical manner if there was nothing to moan or bitch about.
    When the same gripes are not enough.

For instance in the last two days alone. the Stacey Solomon interview - (which I had no interest in nor liked - by the way) It was said there was no intro to her book. There was. Albeit a rushed quick intro, in fairness.

Ryan got slagged off for his level of Irish and people commented he sees himself as so educated. Despite Ryan commenting on numerous occasions how poor his Irish was!

It was amusing to me.

It is like people are only hearing, what they want to hear.

Yours in wryness,

Gormdubhgorm

That is all I will say on it. And people from this thread are welcome to come to the genuine discussion thread. If they willing to genuinely discuss content. However, I suspect the two maybe incongruent.

Your 'wry poster mates' might laugh at you, if you actually just listen to it as a show. I understand that - peer pressure.

Can't be seen to be 'un-ironically' listening to something in front of some posters. Some would find it embarrassing! Boards 'status' in the clique could plummet quickly within the group, I dare say. :D

Edit: First time I was ever classed as 'gorgeous delicious and beautiful' all at once. Cheers!

Any mention of ‘The Late Late Show’? Guests etc?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Any mention of ‘The Late Late Show’? Guests etc?

In the 'late late' they are going to be having a catch up with the Toy Show kids - money collected. Una Healy, Picturehouse, Laura Whitmore, Dermot O’Leary, Zoe Hoolohan plus her book discussion.

Tubridy was really motoring today. Better show than the last one. No Stacey Solomon this time. Pleased with that.

I enjoyed the discussion of the memorabilia Churchill and his monogrammed slippers. Surprised Tubridy did not buy them himself. Plus I did not know the Beatles forged each other signatures. It is those types of obscure facts that I like. Some of the texted tradesman names made me laugh.

I was watching things on you tube about pop and autotune recently. And how it has become almost part of the sound. None of that craic needed for Ella Fitzgerald. Imagine having a voice like that.

A 15 year old philosopher never heard the like! Looking out the window during school, was the nearest I got.
    Sounds like she will do well.

In the 'late late' they are going to be having a catch up with the Toy Show kids - money collected. Una Healy, Picturehouse, Laura Whitmore, Dermot O’Leary, Zoe Hoolohan plus her book discussion.

Wouldn’t be enough to get me “tuning in” but, no doubt, many others will be watching solely to get themselves wound up and angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A Toy show in march...tubridy is desperate...

Be interesting having the westbrits on to see how oirish they can pretend to be....

Mod - Stephen please don't post in this thread again, stick to the other one.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Wouldn’t be enough to get me “tuning in” but, no doubt, many others will be watching solely to get themselves wound up and angry.

I am not a 'late late' watcher myself. Enjoy the Toy Show though. So will wait until it is out on the player. So I will watch the Toy Show kids recap bit.
    Rest of it wouldn't be bothered with.

A Toy show in march...tubridy is desperate...

Be interesting having the westbrits on to see how oirish they can pretend to be....

Toy show recap, and catch up shows are not a new thing. No harm to have a chat with them again.
    You can see past recaps on youtube - John Joe etc.

Great for the kids and nice to see how they are getting on. Always a few characters.

The rest of the Late Late I would not care for, and would not watch. As you have the choice of doing yourself.

Why gripe and give out about something or someone you clearly do not like, really aggressively ad nauseam?
    It will give you an ulcer.
    I am not sure toast goes well with ulcers. Would cut the insides?

• Advertisement

I watch LLS as it was something I grew up with. Of course I always see it through those rose-tinted glasses of Haybo's time.

I watch LLS as it was something I grew up with. Of course I always see it through those rose-tinted glasses of Haybo's time.

I was at one of Gay Byrne's last shows year before he finished in 1998. Someone the auld wan knew had tickets.

Still remember the guests It was an exotic Rose of Tralee winner - Luzveminda 'Mindi' O'Sullivan, Linford Christie and An Archbishop O'Connell. So it was a fair mix.

Linford Christie was flogging Olympic styled body wash, talc and all that stuff. So got that in 'the one for everyone in the audience'.

Was interesting to see how it all operated behind the scenes. And Byrne chatted to the audience beforehand. Making stupid jokes.

As well as the do's and don'ts. I remember him telling the audience not to look at the tv screens when if are on camera, or the cameraman would panaway. Stuff like that.

I must admit I no longer listen to the show (for my mental health, tbh) but I do tune in to this thread. The reason is that I want to follow the trajectory of the show's host without having watch my blood pressure rise.

For me, it beggars belief that an individual can carry on in such blithe indifference, tone deafness and utter disregard to the reality facing most people; namely that many are facing income loss, job loss, business loss, real mental health issues and so on. They don't live in a bubble of "freebies"; theirs is not the world of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves; tax breaks by virtue of being a company rather than an employee.

The sense of entitlement is strong with this one, to paraphrase my old mate, Darth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It is not a fan thread merely for genuine discussion based on the content of the show. Positive or negative.

Because one of it's clique has attempted to derail the genuine discussion thread already! Which I knew would happen. It is by product of the 'culture' on this thread. The moderator will have a tough job I think.

Honestly, in most polite terms, lacking in self-awareness/irony albeit an interesting insight into the human condition. Group think, peer pressure, vindictiveness, and even ego. A secondary school/college/second childhood vibe with lots of 'in jokes' repeated. 'Top Bantz' as the English say.

With some manufactured gripes where there are none to be had. Something to gripe about in a hypothetical manner if there was nothing to moan or bitch about.

For instance in the last two days alone. the Stacey Solomon interview - (which I had no interest in nor liked - by the way) It was said there was no intro to her book. There was. Albeit a rushed quick intro, in fairness.

Ryan got slagged off for his level of Irish and people commented he sees himself as so educated. Despite Ryan commenting on numerous occasions how poor his Irish was!

It was amusing to me.

Yours in wryness,

Gormdubhgorm

That is all I will say on it. And people from this thread are welcome to come to the genuine discussion thread. If they willing to genuinely discuss content. However, I suspect the two maybe incongruent.

Your 'wry poster mates' might laugh at you, if you actually just listen to it as a show. I understand that - peer pressure.

Can't be seen to be 'un-ironically' listening to something in front of some posters. Some would find it embarrassing! Boards 'status' in the clique could plummet quickly within the group, I dare say. :D

Edit: First time I was ever classed as 'gorgeous delicious and beautiful' all at once. Cheers!

Intriguing.

It was amusing to me.

Yours in wryness,

Gormdubhgorm

Threadbanned. Gormdubhgorm please do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I posted that. I didn't hear an him introduce her or explain what her book was about. Without googling I wouldn't be able to tell you what she does or what she is known for. But if you say there was an intro. Then hands up I was wrong and take it back.

My other big gripe about Tubs recently was the way he handled an call from ( I think ) a ten year old. Who called in to enter his Friday quiz. He asked her about her little sisters heart condition and then asked her to go into detail of her treatment and heart surgery. What are your thoughts on that segment?
    If you missed it, the segment is up on the player and Id appreciate it if you could listen lack. I would really like to know your thoughts on his line of questioning.

Edit: it was only after posting this that I saw you have been asked not to post in this thread.

I was at one of Gay Byrne's last shows year before he finished in 1998. Someone the auld wan knew had tickets.

Still remember the guests It was an exotic Rose of Tralee winner - Luzveminda 'Mindi' O'Sullivan, Linford Christie and An Archbishop O'Connell. So it was a fair mix.

Linford Christie was flogging Olympic styled body wash, talc and all that stuff. So got that in 'the one for everyone in the audience'.

Was interesting to see how it all operated behind the scenes. And Byrne chatted to the audience beforehand. Making stupid jokes.

As well as the do's and don'ts. I remember him telling the audience not to look at the tv screens when if are on camera, or the cameraman would panaway. Stuff like that.

I see you are not allowed to post in the so called "wry" thread anymore.You answered a post,but because you didnt agree,you got a ban..unreal..

Mod - Backseat moderation is not allowed here as on any thread.

I hear toyman got comedic mention on Graham Norton this weekend... ouch lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hear toyman got comedic mention on Graham Norton this weekend... ouch lol

More details?

NIMAN wrote: »
    More details?

+1 Tell us more. Was Jonah Hill talking about the time an amateur interviewed him in Ireland? Or Rhys Ifans talkin about the time a dainty little bugger interviewed him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

+1 Tell us more. Was Jonah Hill talking about the time an amateur interviewed him in Ireland? Or Rhys Ifans talkin about the time a dainty little bugger interviewed him?

After interviewing Brian Cranston, Adrian Dunbar mentioned his family was from Armagh. To which Graham replied if it had been a LLS interview, that's all it would have been about, 'they do it every interview...'

A subtle but satisfying burn!

phonypony wrote: »
    After interviewing Brian Cranston, Adrian Dunbar mentioned his family was from Armagh. To which Graham replied if it had been a LLS interview, that's all it would have been about, 'they do it every interview...'

LLOL.

I was texted about it and literally just watched it now :) burrrrrrn!

The BoyMan will likely interpret it as
    "Graham Norton watches me every week to pick up some top tips on how to interview celebs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"That's it Graham. You're going on my list of bad eggs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just stumbled across this thread tonight while killing time.

Congratulations on setting it up. The last one like this didn't last long but good luck with it anyway.

In my opinion the Ryan Tubridy Show is a pretty ok example of it's type.

It's a light enough bridge between Morning Ireland and Today with CB, both news and current affairs with fairly heavy agendas.

Like him or not RT is certainly not bland and manages to handle the pace and content reasonably well.

I don't catch it every day due to commitments but I'll try to check in on this thread in future.

"That's it Graham. You're going on my list of bad eggs."

Bad eggs get broken legs......

Graham is onboard :)

Graham is onboard :)

I’d say he’d rather be waterboarded tbh.

• Advertisement

15 seconds in, first mention of LLS on Wednesday week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

power hosing his penny farthing

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

A book reading 6 year old approached Tubridy in the butcher shop.

Yeah!

A book reading 6 year old approached Tubridy in the butcher shop.

Yeah!

Amazingly mature way of expressing herself too.

Amazingly mature way of expressing herself too.

I’m sure that’s because she reads books.

No other possible reason.

Let's see what's in the papers.

And inside a few seconds he is waffling about books again.

I thought he’d be talking about his close friend who he once met for 12seconds Meaghan Markle, but guess that’s for tomorrow.

Oh here we go.

It’s actually on at 9:30 on RTÉ Bryan. It’s on ITV at 9.

West Brit discusses West Brit things. Makes a change from American stuff I guess.

I thought he’d be talking about his close friend who he once met for 12seconds Meaghan Markle, but guess that’s for tomorrow.

Oh here we go.

And Jack Dorsey isn't firstly known as creator of Twitter, but a former LLS guest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement