Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tbh, fair play for Tubridy treating the whining from and infighting between extremely wealthy people as what it is - a soap opera!
    'She said this, they said that and that's that basically':D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Had to laugh:

Mentions Jack Dorsey. Describes him as: “Former Late Late Show guest, and Twitter CEO”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Had to laugh:

Mentions Jack Dorsey. Describes him as: “Former Late Late Show guest, and Twitter CEO”

I’m off now but if I had time I’d check his LinkedIn profile to see if it reads as per Tubs’ description. :pac:

And meantime in RTÉ...

ong]

And meantime in RTÉ...

ong]

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the deal he gets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"This is not very interesting but I'll say it anyway" (power hosing).

almost as good as last week's "I'm boring myself with my own thoughts here"

For such a self proclaimed avid reader and lover of history, not to mention the West of Ireland, Tubridy never heard of Keeners, or Keening Women?

Extraordinary.

For such a self proclaimed avid reader and lover of history, not to mention the West of Ireland, Tubridy never heard of Keeners, or Keening Women?

Extraordinary.

My mother used to tell me if these when I was a fairly young kid: professional mourners to help the bereaved vent their grief, also used on the occasions when the deceased may actually have been no loss to anyone.

Jellybeans the way to the Toyman's heart.

• Advertisement

Roadmap to Ryan's heart

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488645bc10c60d682cdadfc27ab8fa6409fa23a3b5b1&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I find myself at a loose end in dubland this morning for a few hours. Was only @10 mins from fun Laoghaire pier so said fuk it,I'll lower the tone of the place for a while :).
    Everyone talking with marbles in their mouths :). Nice walk though. Won't be here for our heroes constitutional thank God.

Jellybeans the way to the Toyman's heart.

Is it not Jelly Babies? I vaguely recall him making that very important distinction.

Definitely not Jelly Tots anyway:pac:

Jelly Tots are'nt on sale very much in Dublin at the mo. Don't mention them again! Bad Vibes! Lowering the Tone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

A book reading 6 year old approached Tubridy in the butcher shop.

Yeah!

Of course, she did.

thesimpsons-3orif5eTLRM2Czona8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Of course, she did.

thesimpsons-3orif5eTLRM2Czona8

I think he said he met her and the mother on Saturday....so she bought the book he suggested, went home and read it.

Then penned a letter to the bookman outta gratitude, had the mother scan said letter, popped it in an e-mail and hey presto ! we get to hear about the extraordinary encounter at the counter in the butchers.

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I think he said he met her and the mother on Saturday....so she bought the book he suggested, went home and read it.

Then penned a letter to the bookman outta gratitude, had the mother scan said letter, popped it in an e-mail and hey presto ! we get to hear about the extraordinary encounter at the counter in the butchers.

It's gas - those stories are so self-congratulatory. Even if there is an element of truth to them, they're not about the children in the slightest.

Look how great I am with children everyone!

Hopefully one day a kid will approach him and say "My Daddy says you dont pay your taxes". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have to admit I would more interested in listening to the Power hose discussion, than the British Royal Family one!

But my take on it is, Megan and Harry are doing the equivalent of 'backseat modding' (as the main Royal Family would see it)

In my opinion Megan/Harry should accept the main Royal family decisions. As that is the culture/tradition in charge. Going on Oprah solves nothing. They should know their place. Too much drama for nothing. Life is too short etc. A dignified silence would be a much better approach? Letting the hierarchy show themselves up etc?.

The story with Ryan meeting the little girl and discussing the book (and resulting letter) was a much nicer story. It reminded me of the time my parents helped me write a letter to the company that used to make 'Easi Single Cheese'.Saying how it was difficult to open the plastic. (It was before they put the red stripe on the plastic)

They wrote me back a letter and even gave me cheese. I still remember how excited I was in school the next day going on about it. I assume the little girl will remember writing her letter with her Mam's help, when she is older. Great thing to do between a parent and kid imo. Writing an important letter like a 'big person'.

Nice to hear the woman from Cahir discussing International women's day (Josephine).
    I always like to hear people who are enthusiastic about any subject, whether I know anything about it or not. Plenty of passion, positivity and 'go' in the woman's voice.

More details of it here:

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0308/1201616-cahir-international-womens-day/

Ryan always seems to come out with some obscure info/fact that makes my ears prick up.

The story about the Jack Dorsey selling the tweet was one of those.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/06/jack-dorsey-is-offering-to-sell-the-first-tweet-as-an-nft.html

I don't really understand it's value but apparently it is recorded on 'blockchain' which is similar to 'bitcoin'. Whatever that means!

Music wise today I prefered Katie Bush's 'Babooshka' to 'Marina and the Diamonds'. Marina has too much autotune for my tastes. I don't know what a Babooshka is though.

The story about the mini-Imelda 'Hannah Roddy' who sang on the Toyshow aged 9 and then sang on Imelda Album was a nice feel good story.

As much as I am not an overly emotional individual, and at times cynical. It made me go 'awh, that's nice'. Good luck to her, nice to have a bit more positivity. Makes people smile.

--

Edit: I found out what a 'Babooshka' is, it means Grandma in Russian/Greek.

Sounds a bit like that Irish word 'Machusla' (Sweetheart). I think Ryan missed trick could have played the Machusla song, before Babooshka!

I never would have learnt what a Babooshka was only for I listened to this. Only problem is I have the air of Machusla in my head which I do not know the words to, for the day now.
    I think there was mention of the Machusla in that Million Dollar Baby film (2004) now that I think of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Today on “Things That Never Hsppened”......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

It's gas - those stories are so self-congratulatory. Even if there is an element of truth to them, they're not about the children in the slightest.

Look how great I am with children everyone!

Hopefully one day a kid will approach him and say "My Daddy says you dont pay your taxes". :D

To be fair he does actualy I assume pay his taxes. It's just that he has leveraged the system in such a way that he has to pay much less than other normal people who arent in as privileged of a position. The ethics of this practice are debatable but it is legal.
    Where i take issue is that he is invoicing rte for a sick amount of money which is an issue on it's own, but then he portrays a persona of an 'everyman' who likes going to gigs and matches with all the sweaty people (who generally pay good money for tickets) and has such sympathy for the common and nurses and teachers etc who are struggling to get by as it is and then get taxed the full whack.

Its one things to be sly and snake your way into a tax avoidance scheme, frankly I'd expect nothing less as in my opinion he hasnt a sincere bone in his body but it's another thing altogether to then try and act like your just like everyone else at a time when people are really struggling.

It's a subtle but annoying difference for me like one could argue that there is no issue in using legal means to reduce your tax bill - better you spend your money on yourself than have it go on the next dail printer fiasco for example. Its just yet another example of a blindness to a privileged and gilded lifestyle.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Its one things to be sly and snake your way into a tax avoidance scheme, frankly I'd expect nothing less as in my opinion he hasnt a sincere bone in his body but it's another thing altogether to then try and act like your just like everyone else at a time when people are really struggling.

No caller, Da Lahv Lahn Thread, hosted by de wurkin’ class man wit de wurkin’ class wurk ettic is over there —>.

• Advertisement

The only surprise for me in this made-up story was that the child didn’t refer to him as “the Toyman”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bit light on craic and content this morning?

The only surprise for me in this made-up story was that the child didn’t refer to him as “the Toyman”.

- 'Mammy mammy look over there....it's the Toyman'

- 'Now now little Johnny you can't be acosting the nice man when he's buying his pound of mince for the dinner'

- 'But I want to tell the nice man I've finished Ulysses and I'm halfway through War and Peace'

- 'You can write a letterto him when we get home. I'll scan it and e-mail it for you Little Johnny'

- 'Sound Ma, I fancy a bit of Sirloin for the dinner'

'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

500k each year, and did I hear him say he borrowed a power washer?

When I was about 12 I sent in a suggestion to a book publisher for their series of small introductory books "Know your sport". My suggestion was on How to Show Dogs (at dog shows), and I was absolutely delighted to receive a lovely letter from the publisher telling me how good my idea was and that they intended to keep it in mind, and how well phrased my letter and book sample was. I was truly chuffed! Many years later they did produce something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Definitely think Classic Hits are the losers here. Wouldnt want to listen to Niall Boylan so PJ and Jim are the other strong brand they have.

The other shows have minimal personality and often sound voicetracked. Triona Mara between 10 and 12 barely has any content and Damien is OK but just feels meh for a 5 hour show.

Know that at work it will just mean a switch to Nova.

No-one listening today.....or have people just lost the will to comment?

NIMAN wrote: »

It's just noise in the background today. Like a squeaking gate.

500k each year, and did I hear him say he borrowed a power washer?

It’s just a ruse in the hope Karcher will send him one for free, and send some man servants around to to the power hosing too, in exchange for a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Imagine getting so much cash for so little .............. might as well be sitting off Grafton Street having a coffee and a natter with a mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Couldnt be arsed, plus i assume it will be alot of ****e about Harry and May-ghan

He lost me after the e-mail describing himself as a smart man.

Toyman

Bookman

Smartman

Richman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Conman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Clon63 wrote: »
    Definitely think Classic Hits are the losers here. Wouldnt want to listen to Niall Boylan so PJ and Jim are the other strong brand they have.

The other shows have minimal personality and often sound voicetracked. Triona Mara between 10 and 12 barely has any content and Damien is OK but just feels meh for a 5 hour show.

Know that at work it will just mean a switch to Nova.

Methinks that this was posted on the wrong thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Burger King story made me laugh, that is for sure. I thought it might have been embellished or exaggerated. But no, it did happen. Not only did they sent the tweet about women staying in the kitchen. They took out a full page ad in the newspaper!

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/trends/women-belong-in-the-kitchen-burger-king-apologises-for-sexist-tweets-after-backlash/story/433364.html

As regards Tubridy and his crap DIY. I noted a text in said it was because he was ‘smartman’. Not completely true, as Tubridy is just not a practical man, very bookish.

However, those who work in professions which are involved in analytical/mathematical fields, can make good DIY people. Not just the blue collar jobs, which seemed to be implied a few times by texters.

For example, there is a PhD high up ‘techie head lecturer’ next door to my parents. Gangly, lanky fella he is too. Funny enough!
    He is great at DIY stuff, very precise. Plus, I assume technical professions which involve problem solving and creation are the same? A former engineer neighbour is mad for the DIY as well.

I learnt, more obscure info from this programme I did not know (as usual it seems).
    The graphics/credits at the end the last episode of ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ were designed by a Dub according to a texter.

I can actually see why Tubridy did not like ‘Queen’s Gambit’ you have to enjoy the visuals and the music. The story is almost a secondary thing where the rest of it is built around. I enjoyed it myself.

As for the Dogs issue. Some people are allergic to them or are petrified of them. Could have been bitten by them when younger or whatever. I like Dogs myself, though.

But I do have an auld in-law relation who has no kids who treated her dog like a human. Buying steak for the dog, putting a scarf on it. And letting the dog eat/drink from a bowl at the table. Having conversations with it. Plus she was one of those who asked the Dog for a kiss! On the lips. Very unnerving. Some people can take things a bit too far. Naturally the dog was buried in the garden when it died.

Personally. I didn’t like love/hate at all lasted two episodes. The acting seemed very forced ‘yeah?’
    The suspension of disbelief went out the window.
    Anyway Briain F. O’Byrne was in it and interviewed by Tubridy, about his acting career and stuff.

He sounded like a deep thinker and very arty. Have to admit, I hate listening to fellas going on about addictions. Then they end up having to come out with obscure phraseology/similes/cliches. It ends up sounding like ‘therapy speak’.

This fella said:
    An addict is ‘like a cornered rat’ etc. ‘And trying to survive today...’ And so on.

I find that stuff very hard to listen to. Bit of a mood killer. Yeah I get the point - might help others listening with similar issues. But to me, it ended up feeling laboured.

However, then an Arctic Monkeys song was played, which I never heard. It lightened the mood. A quiet melodic one, touch of the Everly Brothers/Beatles about it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Black & White movies today, write things down!

Is that the show Barry looked like he was slightly the worse for wear?

A more over-rated actor I have yet to see.

I don't mind the sound of my own footsteps. ??

Neither would I if I was on 500k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I wouldn’t fancy living next door to him!

• Advertisement

How about an over rated radio presenter

Black & White movies today, write things down!

The advice of a man with absolutely nothing to do for the rest of the day from 10am onwards.

Complimentary of the late late show staff and the radio show staff. It's a bit much to say that they pull together shows that 'entertain' us.

Give parents Mondays off !!;)

Says the lad who finishes work at 10 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Ryan: "...uninterrupted cuddles is a good phrase for tomorrows email..."

Fake messages from yesterday

Talking about other tv shows referring to the late late. What about Nortons show lauging AT the late late? International laughing stock.

• Advertisement

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Talking about other tv shows referring to the late late. What about Nortons show lauging AT the late late? International laughing stock.

You can't say that :)

I have a feeling there is a decent amount of email traffic between ryan@rte.ie and the American Embassy email account.

Twilight Zone

Theres been a marked increase in attempts to do accents.

Have to laugh at needing an editor, says the man who waffles off the top of his head every single morning for 20mins.

This show could be edited down to 15mins, instead of padded out to an hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement