Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    Have to laugh at needing an editor, says the man who waffles off the top of his head every single morning for 20mins.

Is there really a producer,BCO, researcher/s involved is this verbal scutter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

You never know what type of seemingly straight edge types have crippeling addictions to narcotics or gambling ryan, I dont see whats so entertaining about that.

"Can I suggest a 'Covid box' to store your whimsical memories of this time, say a photograph of Tony Holohan..."

Stuff yourself in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

"Can I suggest a 'Covid box' to store your whimsical memories of this time, say a photograph of Tony Holohan..."

Stuff yourself in it.

Sorry sorry Ryan but i already have the photo of Tony Hoolahan in my whimsical memory box for cervical cancer scandals

Sneering at a texters ;) father..? That's not very kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there really a producer,BCO, researcher/s involved is this verbal scutter ?

My congrats to you, you managed to sum up this highly touted radio show perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Is he actually going to get a freebie from this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Talking about other tv shows referring to the late late. What about Nortons show lauging AT the late late? International laughing stock.

Is there a link to this anywhere?

Free as for a crowd based in dun Laoghaire..well I never..;)

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Is there a link to this anywhere?

Had a quick look on the youtube channel there, unfortunately there is one 1 clip from last weeks show. It was from a segment with Adrian Dunbar from line of duty.

• Advertisement

Stuff yourself in it.

If say he would include a gold framed portrait of himself in that memory box :D

Clare county council have had enough!!
    https://www.clareecho.ie/council-to-contact-rte-seeking-changes-to-its-schedule-to-help-public-mood/

Officials in the rural and community development section of Clare County Council are to write to RTÉ seeking a change to its broadcasting schedule.

Senior executive officer with the local authority, Bernie Haugh confirmed at the February meeting of the Rural Development Strategic Policy Committee (SPC) that RTÉ are to be contacted to seek a change to their broadcasting schedule.

No schedule change has been implemented by the State broadcaster in the first six weeks of the year, she stated and felt the public’s mood needed a lift which has prompted the decision to write to RTÉ.

Bit of a confusing article if I'm honest but the headline is in the right spirit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Clare county council have had enough!!
    https://www.clareecho.ie/council-to-contact-rte-seeking-changes-to-its-schedule-to-help-public-mood/

Officials in the rural and community development section of Clare County Council are to write to RTÉ seeking a change to its broadcasting schedule.

Senior executive officer with the local authority, Bernie Haugh confirmed at the February meeting of the Rural Development Strategic Policy Committee (SPC) that RTÉ are to be contacted to seek a change to their broadcasting schedule.

No schedule change has been implemented by the State broadcaster in the first six weeks of the year, she stated and felt the public’s mood needed a lift which has prompted the decision to write to RTÉ.

Bit of a confusing article if I'm honest but the headline is in the right spirit!

That is a very confusing article. What does "no schedule for the first six weeks of the year" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am not sure about about listening to Tubridy’s suggestions for something to do if you were at a loose end.

‘A black and white movie’? Firstly why does it have to be black and white? Secondly just because it is black and white does not mean it is any good or interesting. Thirdly it is a film or ‘filum’ as far as I am concerned! None of that ‘movie’ talk.

As for the suggestion to watch a musical 10 minutes of a musical would have me annoyed for the day. All that people singing at each other in the guise of some plot, no thanks. Imagine if someone started singing at you like that in real life non-stop they would be committed? :eek:
    --

The Chinese seemed to have been getting a bit of a slating, From German children’s books saying teaching that covid19 started there. To the Chinese using their own technology to see that their hotel bed sheets are not clean.

--

The Tony Bennett clip of him singing at home is here

Surviving from the onset of dementia but still sparked by music.

It reminds me of this more extreme example where an American fella called (Henry) who used to stay head down and mute in the nursing home. Suddenly when the music is given to him he is kicked into life. Even after listening to the music there is a lasting effect. And he is then full of chat.

He must have had a great voice back in his day.

--

The Canadian author (Ashley Audrain) Tubridy was interviewed about her book ‘Push’

More details here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/books/review/the-push-ashley-audrain.html

The gist is a ‘thriller’ about childbirth, children, motherhood etc. It was noticeable that the author only mentioned father’s once in passing. Until Tubridy addressed the question directly about how men viewed her book. It was turned to a discussion how men view women and are better communicate with their partners after reading the book. It seems like men are a secondary demographic?

I found it odd that the author speaks of the characters as if she has to ‘understand’ them. And as if they are actual people.
    How can she not understand them. She has created them?

--

Regarding the last song that was played.
    Here is the Camille Yarbrough ‘Take Yo’ Praise’ song that Fat Boy Slim sampled

One of those effortless, timeless, voices.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That is a very confusing article. What does "no schedule for the first six weeks of the year" mean?
    That's twice this week I've seen an article from 'the Clare Echo' highlighted on this site for unreadability and well, stupidness.
    Is it run from someones bedroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

another day another death another sorrow another breath

What child asks "can I have a lottery ticket?"

Toy show mention and advice on how to talk to children (about their siblings disability and heart surgery)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I wish he’d stop doing the stupid voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

some incoming free bespoke / artisan products heading someones way

are people really just buying loads of goodfellas pizzas?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

Render unto cease what is ceasers.

Render unto Ryan the tears that are Ryan's.

Late late show reaching new levels of lack of creativity. Second week in a row visiting back previous guests. I think they must have a calander with a big checklist on it counting down to the day they can have the antiques guy back as he was a rare breed - actually interesting and not about illness and death.

Yeah the LLS is so formulaic these days.

Dating show, country show, folk show, business show, Eurovision show, fashion show, etc etc.

It has truly run out of guests now that it simply repeats tired ideas over and over.

And just fill the rest of the time left with Dermot Bannon, JP Gallagher, Jason Byrne, Rte staff, the Brennans, Diarmuid Gavin.....

Then the family dealing with grief, the ones murdered, the sick kids ....

Cancer, MS, dementia ....

john lydon would be great guest.

parents irish, meningitis as a child, wife ill, could attack ryan like a honey badger at any moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Jesus he has gone full Partridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

;)
    Maurice packing up the extra fillet steak today

• Advertisement

As Bertie would say "TUBRIDY, YOU'RE A WAFFLER, YOU'VE WAFFLIN FOR YEARS."

the pandemic is what you make it, if you make the supermarket the social highlight of your life then so be it :)

STOP GETTING BOND WRONG

he just acknowledged partridge

he just acknowledged partridge

Reading this thread?

Hello Ryan!

• Advertisement

Reading this thread?

somebody text in "alan partridge singing goldfinger whilst in the petroleum garage"

:)

it's actually a pure partridge text!

"richard the third in a range rover vogue, brown leather upholstery and dog in the back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

somebody text in "alan partridge singing goldfinger whilst in the petroleum garage"

:)

it's actually a pure partridge text!

I genuinely believe he doesn't get the irony of it all. He seems to actually have aspirations to be like Alan. He's proud of the parallels drawn...

I actually know someone who has never watched a subtitled film.

They simply refuse to do it. Despite me telling them they have missed so many good films.

I watched mr nice the other night and went straight to YouTube after to watch the original DLB moment. It’s even cringier now

I actually know someone who has never watched a subtitled film.

They simply refuse to do it. Despite me telling them they have missed so many good films.

I remember raving about battle royale to mates for ages and he finally got it and next thing I get a text “it’s subtitled? I’m not reading a movie “

Same thing happened with the raid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

filler to get to the ad break and news. Packing up as we listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Heard him mention 'Mandy' earlier about a deaf girl. RTE showed a film many years ago called 'Johnny Belinda' about a blind girl who was raped. Very sad it was.

“In a time without time we need a hero with time , if you haven’t got the time you need jonjo “

The horologist -a Ryan tubridy/ James Sheridan doh no I mean sherwin production
    Coming to cinemas with popcorn and coke (fizzy) and jellybeans (not babies)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    ...RTE showed a film many years ago called 'Johnny Belinda' about a blind girl who was raped. Very sad it was.

Probably broadcast on Christmas day knowing rte.

Probably broadcast on Christmas day knowing rte.

You're probably right.

Back when I was a chisler Christmas morning tv viewing (RTE) consisted of Urbi er Orbi, the Moscow ballet and Chipperfields circus followed by the big feed and rounded of in the eveningtime with a fillum.

• Advertisement

You're probably right.

Back when I was a chisler Christmas morning tv viewing (RTE) consisted of Urbi er Orbi, the Moscow ballet and Chipperfields circus followed by the big feed and rounded of in the eveningtime with a fillum.

Did you not get de Queen's speech? De tradition on my road was dat everyone called to each udder etc, and invariably de house to de right had dat speech on when I was marched in.

I see Ryan is going to have one of my old work colleagues on de Late Late Shoe tomorrow, very nice person, look forward to dat :)

I see Ryan is going to have one of my old work colleagues on de Late Late Shoe tomorrow, very nice person, look forward to dat :)
    Keep off the LLS thread this week so!:eek:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tubridy seemed extra hyper this morning, really flew through the show.
    There was a lot of discussion of ‘Yes Day’ for kids. Where the parents say yes to everything for a day.

There was really enthusiastic fella who was interviewed going on about films talking 90 to the dozen.
    His name was Ken Wardrop, and he was there to explain ‘access cinema’.

https://www.accesscinema.ie/about/what-we-do

There was a few unintentionally funny bits in the show. I swear Tubridy nearly made a Freudian slip. He was on about previous celebrity politicians Jessy Ventura, Regan etc. He said ‘do we have to mention the previous incumbent of The Late Lat...White House’
    Tubridy nearly said ‘previous incumbent of the The Late Late’ :D

There was a fella interviewed from Monaghan with a (very strong accent) James Sheeran
    He mentioned The Clones Film Festival https://clonesfilmfestival.com/ and chatted about films in general.

Not to be confused with the Cannes Film Festival.

Tubridy gave him an intro saying that he was a former French Teacher, after the initial hello. I was thinking how is that fella a French teacher, with an accent like that?

Anyway the Monaghan fella (James) correct Ryan. He said ‘I lived with a French teacher. I was not a French teacher’. That made me laugh. Also to add insult to injury, Tubridy called him Sheridan instead of Sheeran. It happened a number of times throughout the interview. Tubridy made the correction after the interview was over.

The usual obscure facts were there. There was mention of the death of the inventor of the cassette tape ‘Lou Ottens’.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/lou-ottens-inventor-of-the-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94

He also mentioned Trevor Peacock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Peacock

And he somehow managed to segue from Mr Peacock, to James Bond theme tune Goldfinger. As Mr Peacock had the chance to write the theme tune for Goldfinger, but said he could not do it because he could not think of another word to rhyme with finger!? Someone sent in a great text saying Peacock would have really struggled with the 'Clockwork Orange' theme tune.

Anyway, Goldfinger was played:

Shirley Bassey great voice, but the lyrics seem unintentionally funny?

Also, he played a tune which was on the TV series Smoother (Which I never watched)

It was by the Villagers, called 'Trick of the Light'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Did you not get de Queen's speech?

No Cat. B&W telly wid one channel in dem days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

john lydon would be great guest.

parents irish, meningitis as a child, wife ill, could attack ryan like a honey badger at any moment.

That last point is perhaps why Ryan hasn’t booked him...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You're probably right.

Don't forget "the good old days" the last dying kick of the music hall and variety show days

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Keep off the LLS thread this week so!:eek:;)

I will be defending her honour :)

I will be defending her honour :)
    Good on ya tho I suspect she's sound

• Advertisement

Don't forget "the good old days" the last dying kick of the music hall and variety show days

Loved that. The only person I can remember is Danny La Rue and his wonderful costumes. The Andy Williams show and the Black and White minstrel show were very popular in single channel land also.

Advertisement