Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Awh here. The accents need to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Ryan a bit over excited about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

What is the text number

51551 (WASH YOUR HANDS!)

cozar wrote: »
    he sounds like a well grounded young lad. he's talking about all his accomplishments but its more matter of fact than bragging.

He's a naturally charming young lad, a huge amount going for him in his life ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More scaremongering.

Somewhere out there, and if you listen very heard you can hear George Hook screaming at his Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    ....and happy fadders day MA !!!

M. I. A.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I think just to be safe and sure Ryan should be allowed go out and break the legs of every single man in the state?

He could do it in conjunction with the covid vaccination programme?

A dark slimey street in San Francisco.

Plenty of them in Dublin too.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    A dark slimey street in San Francisco.

Plenty of them in Dublin too.

Shag all of them in SF

An income of $130,000 is enough to qualify for section 8 public housing.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    If I was even going on a virtual walking tour of Dublin I'd still be nervous to take my phone out of my pockets and still be on the look out for **** and blood and piss and syringes while doing it

Unadulterated kip :)

A child prodigy

A neighbour/acquaintance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I think just to be safe and sure Ryan should be allowed go out and break the legs of every single man in the state?

He could do it in conjunction with the covid vaccination programme?

Ray darcy walking behind him “get him Ryan yeah pow pow and that guy yeah awesome “

So poor aul Ryan is bollixed and needs some R+R. He has to regroup ;). 7.5 hrs a week will do that to ya :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So poor aul Ryan is bollixed and needs some R+R. He has to regroup ;). 7.5 hrs a week will do that to ya :):)

As I’ve said before, he still works harder clocks up more hours than Duffy, a man who never stops talking about his wurkin class wurk ettic and dat.

• Advertisement

Bryan should so a PSA type ad aimed at predatory males (apparently that’s every male aged 18+) that ends with the catchy tag line:

Because on my watch, Bad Eggs get Broken Legs.

As I’ve said before, he still works harder clocks up more hours than Duffy, a man who never stops talking about his wurkin class wurk ettic and dat.

I think joe does a milk round still in the mornings

I think joe does a milk round still in the mornings

I think he’s creaming it enough already tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Today Tubridy showed a level of self awareness of his habits/breaking etiquette on zoom calls. Such as talking as if presenting, making a cup of tea and putting the washing machine on. A texter expressed amazement that Tubridy had a washing machine in the kitchen.

Mention was also made of the following quirky story where a Ukrainian couple who handcuffed each other to save their relationship.

https://www.deccanherald.com/international/ukrainian-couple-handcuff-themselves-together-to-mend-their-on-again-off-again-relationship-960810.html

I don’t know what to make of that.

--

Lorcan Collins history walking tour Dublin online was given a plug

https://stpatricksday.ie/events/1916-rebellion-walking-tour

Also, there was mention of The Late Late Show audience inability to clap in time to music.
    Tubridy reflected on the time Russell Crowe ran rings around him, and gave out about the audience’s inability to clap in time. Good bit of telly it was.

--

I noticed there was strong debate on Mother’s Day Cards and the Ma, Mum. Mam, Mom, debate. A texter had a great suggestion of a rotating wheel of ‘A’, ‘U’, ‘O’

Funniest part of the show for me was a text in from a school friend of previous day's guest (James Sheeran from Monaghan) about what he used to be like at school. It is worth listening to if you have not heard it.

--

Young Violinist prodigy (Peter Ryan from Sutton) was interviewed. He was in the National Orchestra at the age of 9. The youngest ever, apparently. Nearly 14 now. Paddy Moloney of the Chieftain’s is getting a reminder that Peter is supposed to play with them in Carnegie Hall. Which was canceled due to covid.

This is the young fella here

Young fella seems like a bit of character. Sounds like he could have a career in the media if he wanted to? Well able to talk and at ease.

His brother called Liam played piano with him on ‘The Late Late’ back when Peter was 9. It was also revealed that Peter had pneumonia at the time. Not only that he has another brother (Cormac) who plays music as well, plus a sister (Charlotte) who plays music. Talented family it seems, which the little fecker made a self-deprecating joke of. He made sure to tell people to tune into the Feis Ceoil before the interview ended. The blackguard! https://www.feisceoil.ie/
    --

The music Tubridy played was Prince - ‘I wanna be your lover’

To me it sounded like a song that could be used for one of those 1970’s US cop shows. With that pingy guitar thing going on.

Next song was - Perry Como - ‘Papa Loves Mambo

That one will be in my head all day now.

Power-hosing answers were delivered by someone in the know a caller named David who owns an animal sanctuary - with things called killer geese!?

Where else would you get it? Killer geese, zoom call etiquette, power hose cleaning advice, prodigy violinists, handcuffed Ukrainians, and what to call yer Mammy on the mother’s day card.

Tubridy seemed to really enjoy the show Today, to the extent he was pushed for time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bryan should so a PSA type ad aimed at predatory males (apparently that’s every male aged 18+) that ends with the catchy tag line:

Because on my watch, Bad Eggs get Broken Legs.

Maybe with a Gerry Ryan style 'No to Drugs' rapping video to launch it. Tubs dressed as the Fonz with some aviators.

Or maybe playing the tough guy walking down the street like Survivor. With Duffy, D'Arcy and Eoghan Murphy as his sidekicks.

• Advertisement

What a lovely gorgeous way to insult our toyman by the Irish times

Ryan Tubridy proves his lockdown life is as boring as everyone else’s
    Radio: The RTÉ presenter shows his everyman side but could do with more substantial material

I see that after Patrick's Day, Ryan is
    looking forward to his break as he will "regroup, recharge and reorganise".

If I ask really nicely, could he, "retreat, relocate and retire" as well?

I see that after Patrick's Day, Ryan is

If I ask really nicely, could he, "retreat, relocate and retire" as well?

Wtf? A break? For what?????

Wtf? A break? For what?????

We think Duffy will be off all next week, he was in such a giddy mood. Probably down to a bolt hole ;) outside Clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tubs has done this 'recharge' talk before, as if he has a really demanding job.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tubs has done this 'recharge' talk before, as if he has a really demanding job.

Only for him, where would we be?

We should thank him for his service.

I see LLS favourite Jason Byrne is making the news again this weekend, but mainly because it involves death, depression, therapy, Covid etc.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/laughter-love-and-loss-a-tough-year-away-from-the-stage-40193762.html

So we can expect to see him on the telly in the next 2 episodes (St Patricks night special unlikely as they are trying to make that one less miserable), but he'll be on soon after. Guaranteed.

Just tuned in at 9:13 to hear a song. I assume someone less waffly is in for Tubs and they couldn’t stretch out the “bonkers-ness” until the usual 9:20ish. Intriguing.

Ah jaysis he’s in - I thought yisser all told me he was off this week? Fake email time again. I’m out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Don’t go Butters, there’s a stalking story coming as per the promo, Ryan getting abroad RTE’s anti-man train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

amlinopta wrote: »
    Don’t go Butters, there’s a stalking story coming as per the promo, Ryan getting abroad RTE’s anti-man train.

Perhaps you should listen to the story before posting stupid comments.

I have decided to listen to an 80s music channel this morning instead of Tubs......my mental health deserves a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Maybe there should be a law against men leaving the house altogether, Ryan, would that make RTE happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Maybe there should be a law against men leaving the house altogether, Ryan, would that make RTE happy?

Good man.

I have decided to listen to an 80s music channel this morning instead of Tubs......my mental health deserves a break!

Got little sleep last night, fell back to sleep after getting up and had one of my weird Ryan Tubridy dreams again. One of those super-realistic dreams. I was in this restaurant/clinic set up and an aged version of Ryan was talking from a table, one or two people beside him, about his love for farming or something, and I said "what?? You were never a farmer", but he kept talking over me. Then a doctor called me in and handed me a giant vaccine with a huge needle and told me to inject myself with it ASAP. The only available seat was beside Ryan and I had to stick it in my thigh there and then and he talked away. I remember feeling the needle penetrating the muscle, every bit of it, as realistic as you could imagine.

I posted something like this on the Liveline thread, and similar applies here:

MOD

Modding the thread, indeed the whole forum, has been tricky to moderate akin to walking a tightrope at times. As a Mod my aim is that this thread be a fun & friendly one with absolute respect to be shown to all posters. Use the Ignore button if you find somebody's posting style triggers you.

Note that the continued existence of the radio forum can never be taken for guaranteed and I ask posters to cooperate in all respects to allow us to keep enjoying it.

While we can have fun here we must be ever vigilant not to stray into focussing on certain groups of people whilst making our points based on valid facts. Avoid Twitter quotes etc, except for banal subjects. We may critique the show, its presentation, production (& praise when it's due of course), but aim to always keep it above the belt when we post we have to imagine to some extent the impact that our postings have on others reading them.

I suspect Covid restrictions have been stressing people out especially in recent times, and a nice bouncing stress-ball thread is just what we can do with. I appeal to you all to help keep it this way.

Happy posting, and let the thread, & indeed the forum, thrive.

Ah jaysis he’s in - I thought yisser all told me he was off this week? Fake email time again. I’m out.

He off from Wednesday until the following Monday week caller. He needs time to regroup and recover from doing fuk all.
    The show is being taken over by Olly Kallan,so no improvement :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I listened to Marty on Lyric.

A nice, sincere, humorous broadcaster. Marty, that is.

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Good man.

I'm sorry, you're not allowed to use that phrase any more.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Good man.

Bleedin patriarch

Good human or creature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Programme on the 15th March was more than a bit serious. Not it's usual happy-go-lucky stuff.

There was letter/email from a suicidal man who wanted to be a farmer, but it was given to his brother .Only when his older brother changed his mind and suddenly wanted the farm. What struck me was he never said anything to his parents. Surely that was the first port of call? Talk to his parents and tell them how he feels? Amazed no counselor told him to tell his parents.

Tubridy played the apt tune 'Keep it all in; from the Beautiful South.

As for the girl from Galway (Eve McDowell) who interviewed about her experience with a stalker. It is the offence of harassment that would cover the case.

Non-fatal offences of the person Act 1997 10 (1) and 10(2)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

So there is no real need for legislation on stalking? It seemed like it is already well covered.

"Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence"

Maybe people would be more comfortable if the phrase 'stalking' was used in the paragraph?
    However, this would mean stalking would have to be defined. Which is a whole other minefield.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Programme on the 15th March was more than a bit serious. Not it's usual happy-go-lucky stuff.

There was letter/email from a suicidal man who wanted to be a farmer, but it was given to his brother .Only when his older brother changed his mind and suddenly wanted the farm. What struck me was he never said anything to his parents. Surely that was the first port of call? Talk to his parents and tell them how he feels? Amazed no counselor told him to tell his parents.

Tubridy played the apt tune 'Keep it all in; from the Beautiful South.

As for the girl from Galway (Eve McDonnell) who interviewed about her experience with a stalker. It is the offence of harassment that would cover the case.

Non-fatal offences of the person Act 1997 10 (1) and 10(2)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

So there is no real need for legislation on stalking? It seemed like it is already well covered.

"Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence"

Maybe people would be more comfortable if the phrase 'stalking' was used in the paragraph?
    However, this would mean stalking would have to be defined. Which is a whole other minefield.

Today's society is extremely caught up in semantics, and it is an absolute minefield. It's almost as if legal definitions were simpler than social ones.

An interesting UK legal description of stalking:

https://peoplesafe.co.uk/resources/blogs/stalking-and-harassment-definitions-the-law-how-to-get-help/

Mod - soon to be Former Mod

be known henceforth as Cat de Commoner. I have been finding Modding on Radio increasingly stressful in recent times, was starting to seriously impact my well-being, so have taken the wise decision to send a request to be de-modded. :)

• Advertisement

be known henceforth as Cat de Commoner. I have been finding Modding on Radio increasingly stressful in recent times, was starting to seriously impact my well-being, so have taken the wise decision to send a request to be de-modded. :)

Can I take over, I have a number of petty scores to settle lot to contribute :pac:

You're health is a dam site more important Cat. Stress is an invisible illness that can lead to catastrophic (no pun intended) outcomes, anything that anyone can do to alleviate that is to be welcomed. Keep well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I'm sorry to hear that. You need to do what is right for you though.

You have a great feel for the place, and did a fine job during your tenure.

Noooooo this cannot happen

Thanks for your service?😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement