Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

Noooooo this cannot happen

It's happened :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a single post today about the show.

Are we turning off in our droves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not a single post today about the show.

Are we turning off in our droves?

It’s gas people come in this thread giving out about the pi55takin yet it seems we’re the only people keeping it alive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

16th March - A mention of a few the diaspora that listen to the show. Uruguay and all sorts.

There was reaction to the previous non-farmer’s letter/email.
    The formerly suicidal ‘non-farmer’ contacted Tubridy again. And wrote in with more details, It read like a play and was extremely dark. He thought of killing his parents and his brother. After they spread rumours he did not want the farm. Plus that he went for the cushy college option.

There is definitely a film in it I think. But jayus, it sounded like hard hitting stuff.

A mediator/farming woman was interviewed (named Clare O'Keeffe). It sounded like she could win a few Nobel peace prizes. ‘Succession planning’ and the like. It was interesting how the woman’s speech became lively when he spoke about the land, helping her father when she was younger, and driving the tractor when her legs were long enough.

In a lighter part of the show Tubridy commented on the Walrus ‘impression’ by this fella called Anthony Fitzgerald who saw the Walrus off the coast of Kerry. Which was on the news the previous day.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0315/1204061-walrus-valentia-island/

I was convinced Tubridy was going to play ‘I am the Walrus.’

But no, I was wrong, it was the Corr’s with Chieftain’s - ‘I know my love’. Because Andrea Corr will be on the Late Late, along with a mix of other musician’s

Along with Barry Devlin (of Horslips fame) - Dearg Doom:

Not a walrus in sight.

Good Auld show all in all, nice pacing, good mix. Plenty of input from texters. Different interview to the norm that you would get on radio. Even the most ardent critics would struggle to find a negative about this morning's show imo. Best one in the last while.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

As for the girl from Galway (Eve McDonnell) who interviewed about her experience with a stalker. It is the offence of harassment that would cover the case.

Thanks. I',m lookin forward to listening to that. I know Evie's father for over 20 years and her sister has spent many hours inn my house with my daughter. Some of the stuff I've heard is very unsettling. He should never see the light of day again.

Her surname is McDowell

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks. I',m lookin forward to listening to that. I know Evie's father for over 20 years and her sister has spent many hours inn my house with my daughter. Some of the stuff I've heard is very unsettling. He should never see the light of day again.

Her surname is McDowell

I hope she manages to get over the trauma of it.

Hail king Tommy

(Last time Saturday trumped Friday ratings the show got cancelled)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Hail king Tommy (Last time Saturday trumped Friday ratings the show got cancelled)

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tommy-tiernan-trumps-tubridy-in-weekend-tv-show-ratings-40203222.html

RTE have lucked upon a winning formula with Tommy, but they would never be brave enough to give him The Late Late Show. Tubridy is dull as dishwater, and painfully choreographed, but he has the attribute that they look for most - he's a company man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tommy-tiernan-trumps-tubridy-in-weekend-tv-show-ratings-40203222.html

RTE have lucked upon a winning formula with Tommy, but they would never be brave enough to give him The Late Late Show. Tubridy is dull as dishwater, and painfully choreographed, but he has the attribute that they look for most - he's a company man.

A company man who is paid as a contractor ironically.

Away until tomorrow week. Playing back those tapes last night must have really taken it out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

First mention Varadkar after about 15 secs from Callan.

Watch for the shilling of the Shinners running subtly and not so subtly through the programme.

First mention Varadkar after about 15 secs from Callan.

Watch for the shilling of the Shinners running subtly and not so subtly through the programme.

Beats jellybeans and made up emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A little bit of vomit is in my gob listening to Justin Blackface Trudeau there

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    A little bit of vomit is in my gob listening to Justin Blackface Trudeau there

Aaah heeeyur......... steady up Ox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

My god this guy is so boring, what a monotone voice

Ryan’s power hose suppler slipped in there nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I had forgotten how insufferable thes lad actually was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Aaah heeeyur......... steady up Ox.

Was he auditioning for Far and Away 2?
    As bad as when he was on his Indian trip!

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Was he auditioning for Far and Away 2?
    As bad as when he was on his Indian trip!

Still beats McIlroy's accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am not getting this recent Tiernan adulation..

His shows are just melancholy driven waffle..

Everyone and anyone with a sad tale!!! Driven by Tiernan’s contrived downbeat persona!

walshb wrote: »

Everyone and anyone with a sad tale!!! Driven by Tiernan’s contrived downbeat persona!

Surely we have enough of that on radio B.

I must have a look on the player, but I fear you are correct.

18th March Oliver Callan very tongue and cheek tone. I actually found it more funny then his Callan’s kicks impressions. I was never a really a fan of that. I find that show a bit repetitive and forced imo

Anyway in the Tubridy show, Callan referred to Martin and Biden as silver suffers meeting online. And he used it as segue into over 65’s and use of streaming. And said that it looked like Biden looked like he won a flat screen TV and Martin was delivering Eurovision results from 1989.
    I don’t think Ryan would use analogies like that.

Also did a far bit about head of states attempting to say 'Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig'.

Callan had no problem with the pacing, talking, and the flow of the show. He barely stops of a breath. A lot of U2 talk why people hate Bono in Ireland etc. I noticed he did more talking than Tubridy as there was only one guest interviews and one song. Tubridy normally has two guests and two songs.

Blinding lights is Callan’s favorite U2 song, apparently - which he played.

Texter mentioned a North American Gaeltacht in Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_North_American_Gaeltacht

I learned something else again, despite myself

David McCulough historian/six one news was interviewed about ‘The dictionary of Irish Biography’ You have to dead for 5 years to be in it, born in Ireland, have a connection to Ireland. And have a notable or unusual life

www.dib.ie

All I could think of was. Maybe after 5 years a few deceased boards.ie posters will get into the dictionary of Irish biography? :D

Seems like a handy link to add to the bookmarks.

Also watching Neil Jordan’s Michael Collins, is not fun for McCullogh’s family as he points out the historical inaccuracies. Another bit of trivia I suppose.

Later a texeter mentioned ainm.ie the Irish language equivalent of the dib.ie site.

https://www.ainm.ie/

Which has been out years according to the texter.

I was thinking another way of looking at it the historian's on the dib.ie, just cogged the ainm.ie site? And hoped nobody would notice?

19th March - Callan again

Same voice impressions rehashed along with a new Prof Luke O’Neill.
    3 minutes of listening to those was enough for me.
    Thankfully after awhile he stopped, and moved on.

There was bit about an invented Irish place-name 'as Gaeilge' in Kerry. People were annoyed about what a meaningless and made up place name it was.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/kerry-locals-outrage-at-meaningless-new-housing-estate-name-40208210.html

There was also mention of this that happened in Taiwan relating to a ‘Just Eat’ promotion where people had to change their name to Salmon

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-19/taiwan-citizens-changing-their-name-to-salmon-for-sushi/100018452

However, it seemed this was another way to advertise that company, because they were mentioned later in the show in some sort of promotion for gift cards.

If people wanted to skip a bit of an episode I think this one to skip. About 25 mins in to the interview part of the show.

At the start pacing and flow of the show seemed all over the shop. The voice impressions annoyed me as well.

It was like listening to someone on the phone. It almost seemed as if he had forgotten people were listening. Not only that, he has the tendency to run his words together, and start whispering. Not very distinct.

First music, the tune was a tinny auto-tune type song from a band, called 'Years and Years'. I didn't like it, whatever it was called. I am not sure Callan even gave the name of it.

Finally after about 25 minutes there was something reasonably interesting. Particularly for those who want to know about neuro-rehabilitation and rehab.

Callan interviewed a woman called Rosie who was working as an entomologist in Brazil. She is recovering from a road traffic accident she was in Brazil in 2019. The idea was to discuss how she has managed her recovery process. She was in a coma with her eyes closed and is now learning to walk independently.

Callan was not great interviewing her imo, it seemed to be out of his comfort zone. He threw in a lot of ‘wow’s’ when she was speaking.

Rosie was campaigning for people who have suffered brain injury. And she wants others to be given the same opportunity for rehabilitation services as she as received. On a day to day basis, as it is necessary for such an injury.

https://www.abiireland.ie/ a website for acquired brain injury was mentioned.

Irish band Soda Blonde was played. I believe the song was called ‘Love me World’. It was Ok I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose we will be back to RT on Monday.

I was talking to an elderly lady today and she said she was listening to OC.

I said "do you like him?"

She said "he's ok but I prefer RT at least he stops to draw breath".

elperello wrote: »
    I suppose we will be back to RT on Monday.

I was talking to an elderly lady today and she said she was listening to OC.

I said "do you like him?"

She said "he's ok but I prefer RT at least he stops to draw breath".

Nope RT won't be back on Monday. Callan will be hosting on Monday apparently. So Callan fans will be delighted.

Jayus Callan wasn't good on the 19th March show imo. I think he thinks that, he has to be 'on' like he is doing a Callan Kicks show.

Plus has the tendency to lose the run of himself. The 18th of March show was alright there was good bits in that one, better flow as well. But the last one (19th March) was a demonstration as to why he is only a stand in.

Who knows what Monday's show will be like

• Advertisement

Ooooh, criticism for Bryan:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/laura-whitmore-ryantubridy-late-show-20223069

Not very #woke

There is one comment at the time of posting. I found the comment amusing ;)

I think Tubridy is a disgrace. How dare he comment about Laura Whitemore's appearance. She is there because of her presenting skills she has never used her looks to gain any advantage.

In fact I'm so upset this morning, I am not listening to the show and I'm going to read my magazine instead.

attachment.php?attachmentid=547700&stc=1&d=1616399922

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Excellent program so far from OC.

That article from Dublin Live is poor stuff.

She complains about the paparazzi outside her house, and says she needs her privacy. Yet she whores herself to get in the papers on a near daily basic. This time using her own child to do it.

And she wants an end to fast fashion?

“Spending less does not mean fast fashion, and throw-away trends. It’s loving clothes and cherishing them for a long time.

“I’m delighted with what Primark are doing and can’t wait to share.”

She's having a laugh surely? Primark are the epitome of throw away clothes! And all made by young folk in modern sweatshops.

That article from Dublin Live is poor stuff.

She complains about the paparazzi outside her house, and says she needs her privacy. Yet she whores herself to get in the papers on a near daily basic. This time using her own child to do it.

And she wants an end to fast fashion?

“Spending less does not mean fast fashion, and throw-away trends. It’s loving clothes and cherishing them for a long time.

“I’m delighted with what Primark are doing and can’t wait to share.”

She's having a laugh surely? Primark are the epitome of throw away clothes! And all made by young folk in modern sweatshops.

Niman.... as we both seem to have copped, these people just want one thing- publicity favourable to themselves.

We can see through their cant and rhetoric.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Excellent program so far from OC.

He did a great job of presenting it today (22nd March). Also managed to keep it light ranging from Walrus discussion and renewing passports. Where the passport office got praise. To an historical take on Irish people and the Catholic Church. And how Irish people compartmentalise the recent history with the Catholic Church.

He started off going on about GAA walking loops, Clocks back soon, Plus how the British Ambassador Paul Johnstone listens to the show to keep up with Irish people’s take on Britain and the goings on in Ireland. He was not sure what to make of that and neither was I !
    There was no mention whether Mr Johnstone likes the music or not.

Disappointed that Callan did not say ‘Gabagool’ when he was on about rewatching the Sopranos. It is a great word.

The ‘Kerry’ Walrus sightings in Wales were discussed. Callan quoted Navan comedian Michael Fry who noted the explanation that Walrus may have fallen asleep on a floating iceberg. Fry had his own take on it:

https://twitter.com/BigDirtyFry/status/1371268692995084292

Inhaler - ice cream sunday was played - Callan said it was indie I thought it was more easy listening.

Interview was great with Derek Scally who wrote a book.

'The best Catholics in the world'.

Callan described it as not a hatchet job on the church, but implied it was a fair reflection of Ireland and its mixed feelings.

Scally quoted a great line from German man - 'The past examines use in the present'. Cardinal Brady and Brendan Smyth case and Magdelane Laundries etc. Scally lived in Germany and contrasted how Germans treated their recent history,

https://thecompanyofbooks.ie/store/Best-Catholics-in-the-World-The-p310038607

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Having also lived in the fatherland, I enjoy Scally's writing. Fairly sure he still lives there, as he is the IT's Berlin correspondent.

The book is a few euros cheaper from Easons.

https://www.easons.com/Best-Catholics-in-the-World-HB-en-us.aspx

Careful now, you’ll be accused of bullying her if you say anything negative about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Careful now, you’ll be accused of bullying her if you say anything negative about her.

Not to mention mysogimy.

Angry middle aged men, and all that.

FamousDave wrote: »
    Calling her a whore should bring about some pretty justified criticism, I'd say.

Ah....say what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

walshb wrote: »

I agree with you but there seems to be a strong, navel gazing pretentiousness among a certain type of Irish person and Tiernan is the perfect example of this.
    Some people lap it up.

Pseuds Corner would be a good comparison.
    It is utterly contrived and it makes me cringe.

Honestly, do we really need to have it explained to us why we watch sport. If it's entertaining I'll watch it.

Callan on 23rd March. Chalk dust to help climate change was commented on. Mention of lack of places to pee in parks. It segues to dcu survey on parks interview. Carol Barron of DCU was interviewed.

https://www.dcu.ie/commsteam/news/2021/mar/dublins-park-life-under-spotlight-new-dcu-research

Derry reporter was later interviewed. - Orla Chennaoui

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orla_Chennaoui

A texter gave out about the motherhood working question to Orla. I thought it was a perfectly natural question women are always seem conflicted about it deep down. Strong maternal instinct for women to be with their kids especially when they are young.

It was implied that the societal construct was to blame for the 'women must miss their kids' when working. In my opinion it is not society to blame, but nature. It is only natural for women to really miss their kids while working.

Of course father's miss their kids. But that missing of kids is never the same for men as it is for women. Women are the nurturers of the child.
    Put a baby in a room full of women and it suddenly full of awh's. It's so cute and they are cooing over the baby. Do the same with men. Would the men even notice? Uness it smelled, maybe.

There was mention of women’s sport. However, I noted there was no comment of why women do not support women's sport in large numbers? It is left up to the men it seems? No mention of the difference in standard, pool of players, and the amount of money taken in. Women's tennis seems to be one of the few exceptions where there is a decent interest - crowds etc.

As the poster above implied, the debate never seems to be honest regarding women's sport. There always seems to be pretense about it. If media get involved there will be more interest was Orla's idea.

But the truth is, the real help for women's sport if women started supporting women's sport in larger numbers. And that is not likely to happen soon.

• Advertisement

(24th March) Callan was ‘on stage’ in today’s show lots of accents and the sort of 'call and response' thing he does when talking. And plenty of dramatic whispers, mixed with sudden shouts.

I had no interest in the home show that was on telly that he spoke about.

There was mention of Daffodil day thing that will be on the Late Late Show. Jedward will be shaving their heads for a Cancer Charity. As their mother died of Cancer so they have a affinity to the Charity.

First interview was with an Orsola de Castro a fashion woman (from Italy with an English accent). She wrote a book. Called ‘Loved Clothes Last’.

https://atmos.earth/fashion-upcycling-book-orsola-de-castro-interview/

About cutting back on clothes. No interested in it personally it does not really apply to me! Others might find it interesting. The woman mentioned a wish to have a ‘right to repair’ in fashion. I still have my 1996 Dublin Jersey and 2006 ones. Plus really old jeans. So maybe I am aware of fashion sustainability? I didn’t even know!

A woman Clare was on, who talked about her charity clothes shop Vincent's in Terenure, Dublin.

https://www.svp.ie/what-we-do/shops/vincent-s-terenure.aspx

Interesting to see that a 'journalist ' actually put her name to that.

It reads like it could have come from Ryan himself, or Noel Kelly.

Nice to get a week off and it only March.
    Great work if you can get it.

The fashion item is very topical at the moment due to Covid.

People working from home don't need to worry so much about their clothes because nobody can see them except on Zoom.

As time passes they are moving away from the fast fashion business.

More and more are beginning to look into the ethics of the rag trade and realise that buying cheap stuff and disposing of it has a cost for the workers involved and the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He said this was his "mid-term break".

Then off for the entire summer. A few more days off before then too, no doubt.

I was gonna say it's a secondary school schedule, but those kids go to school til 4pm. It's more like a playschool schedule.

And still trying to portray himself as a workhorse. He did an interview with RSVP a while back about how hectic his days were.

Fairly insulting to the majority of normal people who are genuinely breaking their bollixes day in day out.

Interesting to see that a 'journalist ' actually put her name to that.

It reads like it could have come from Ryan himself, or Noel Kelly.

Nice to get a week off and it only March.
    Great work if you can get it.

It's RSPV magazine. I'm curious as to what people expect when they go reading that website or magazine. Because it's RSPV magazine, not serious journalism. It's where people go when they want to know about celebrities' personal lives for some unimaginable reason.

I agree with you but there seems to be a strong, navel gazing pretentiousness among a certain type of Irish person and Tiernan is the perfect example of this.
    Some people lap it up.

Pseuds Corner would be a good comparison.
    It is utterly contrived and it makes me cringe.

i thought mike from the waterboys was good, tommy for some mad reason decided to add some of his "observations" on catholics and prods and mike shut him down mid sentence "i have no truck with either, next question"

:)

(25th March) - Callan on. Just caught second half of show.

Lauryn Hill’s 'That thing' was played.

I believe Lauryn was a child prodigy. Here she is aged 13 in 1987

'Midnight Life' is a book by was written by an English fella called Matt Haig. He was interviewed about of it. Apparently, he suffered from mental health issues and was suicidal at some point in his life. He was also in recovery because of it.These issues influenced his books. Particularly, his early books which he described as 'dark'.

'Midnight Library' sounds like a cross between the film ‘Sliding doors’ and the old children’s programme 'Mr Benn' to me. With suffering thrown in!

Here is The Guardian review of the book:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/27/the-midnight-library-by-matt-haig-review-a-celebration-of-lifes-possibilities

I wonder is it written in the form of separate stories or intertwined? Haig’s speech seemed peppered with 'therapy speak' and was very philosophical. But the fella seemed sincere when using the words like ‘journey’ etc. And Callan eagerly joined in ‘all those wounds are part of the journey along the way’ etc. Callan described the book as 'finding meaning in suffering'.

Emer Flannery (who was originally a behavioural therapist) was interviewed at the end of the show, about weighted blankets to help sleeping. There was mention of mental health again. Apparently, weighted blankets are great for relaxation stopping twisting and turning in your sleep.

Weighted blankets were originally used to treat people with autism. Which Emer was aware of as her work as a behavioural therapist.
    It can be used for people with restless legs, cure insomnia etc. Emer sows the blankets herself. The company is based in Mayo.

https://www.kocoono.com/pages/about-us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Cancer special on the LLS tonight.
    YES!!
    Get in there RTE!!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

furiousox wrote: »
    YES!!
    Get in there RTE!!

Just read the line up. A selection of celebrities on to talk about people in their families who have died.

Thanks for the warning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

furiousox wrote: »
    YES!!
    Get in there RTE!!

In the times we are living this programme is just plain wrong.
    People climbing the walls with anxiety , depression , frustration and yes also with cancer . Just what we just dont need is more more public discussion about health . Its being described as a " thank you " to all those working and volunteering in cancer services which is a laudable idea but not just now please.
    Yes some thought should be given to helping out the daffodil charity which provide a great service but not by inflicting Jedward on the population.
    Before anyone reminds me that i dont have to watch that is correct and i wont but i just think there must be a better way to do this . :)

Advertisement