Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It is spelt Bacchus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't want to be the smart arse who hijacks a "non-parody" thread of Tubridy's show (I don't listen anymore), but I heard the latest promo for the show and he was talking to a guy about "kindness" and asked him something along the lines of "can we learn how to do kindness?"...bit of an uphill battle to have a non-parody discussion when he descends into almost self-parody.

Mod- moved to parody thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Brian Scan wrote: »

If he interviewed Dublin working class kids, posters to this thread would refer to them as "Whackers".

To be fair, I think that descriptor is only used on Da Lahv Lahn Thread so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

To be fair, I think that descriptor is only used on Da Lahv Lahn Thread so to speak.

Used here once or twice, but certainly not as frequently as in the Liveline thread.

Haha. Is that Tubridy playing sound effects over the news? A brass band overlaying the Lockdown story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I see Farcy is in early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I see Farcy is in early.

Oh, I thought I had an advert playing on one of my 6000 Google Chrome tabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Petfix eh?

https://btw-zoeken.nl/QY7VW_Petfix+Care+Limited

Unit B2 would be an address that Ryan would be very, very familiar with. It's all way too cosy and incestuous between RTE and NK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Petfix eh?

Unit B2 would be an address that Ryan would be very, very familiar with. It's all way too cosy and incestuous between RTE and NK.

nice work!

• Advertisement

Petfix eh?

Funny that. I missed the item, it is worth listening back to. Was it flag as an advetorial?

I have asked before and was never able to find out. But is there a requirement to disclose product placement on Radio. Like there is on TV?

This should not need to be said, but please do not critique children for how they speak when they are on a radio programme. They are children. Fair warning. Some posts deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(1st April) Tubridy discussed his Mammy and her Marseillaises themed door bell. Plus whether the chocolate Easter egg rabbit was for him or not.

It was pointed out that there will be no April fool stuff on the show from the outset. As Tubridy does not find it funny.

Ross O’Carroll Kelly - (Paul Howard’s) ‘ROC’K of ages from Boom days to Zoom days ’
    was mentioned as he will be a guest on the Late Late Show.

https://www.dubraybooks.ie/rock-of-ages_9781844885695

Ottis Reading ‘Too hard to handle’ was played

An email from a parent of girl who died because of Cystic Fibrosis and wanted to bring awareness to the condition, thank people who helped and so on. The girl died number of years ago was read out. Ed Sheeran sang to her as she died in her bed.

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ed-sheeran-sang-her-to-sleep-family-of-irish-teen-triona-grateful-for-final-moments-as-her-wish-is-granted-30141844.html

There was interesting interview with an English woman called Mariana Spring a disinformation analyst. Who discussed online conspiracy theories. She is a journalist for the BBC.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/marianna-spring-279439b6

Another song was played by The Shadow Puppets called ‘Standing Next to Me’

A young girl called Avril from Galway was on for the Pet quiz. I think Tubridy committed the ultimate sin by mentioning McDonald’s in Galway and not Supermacs?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Petfix eh?

Interesting stuff alright, share an address with the agent to the stars. Prominent mentions of Petfix on the RTE app under Tubridy's show for today, with a link if you would like "to find out more". It seems to be the brainchild of one Pete Wedderburn who is, as you might expect, a client of NK Management. All very cosy.

amlinopta wrote: »
    . Prominent mentions of Petfix on the RTE app under Tubridy's show for today, with a link if you would like "to find out more". It seems to be the brainchild of one Pete Wedderburn who is, as you might expect, a client of NK Management. All very cosy.
    Petfix are sponsors.

Petflix are sponsors.

Since when? Sky Broadband were I thought? An apparently small start-up can now afford a six figure sponsorship deal? Very strange IMO.

• Advertisement

Since when? Sky Broadband were I thought? An apparently small start-up can now afford a six figure sponsorship deal? Very strange IMO.

Petfix are sponsors.

Petfix are sponsors.

Have you a source for this?

Sky Fibre (Broadband) are listed as the sponsors on the RTÉ website.

I googled the subject for a press release and there is none, and RTÉ always issue one when there’s a new sponsor to a show.

Have you a source for this?

Sky Fibre (Broadband) are listed as the sponsors on the RTÉ website.

I googled the subject for a press release and there is none, and RTÉ always issue one when there’s a new sponsor to a show.
    Email them. They're sponsors.

Email them. They're sponsors.

Wow, was that necessary? I just asked have you a source as you seem to know something the rest of us don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Sigh.

• Advertisement

Wow, was that necessary? I just asked have you a source as you seem to know something the rest of us don’t.

Just saying they're sponsors

https://petfixclub.com/contact/

Had a poster replied to another poster like you replied to me there you would at least issue a warning for being confrontational and unnecessarily aggressive. I don’t see why you feel entitled to behave like that. Your replies to perfectly valid questions were curt, rude, and smart-arsed in nature.

That’s a contact form, it does not state they are sponsors.

Just email them and ask.

Just email them and ask.

Would it be possible for you to share where you heard or have seen evidence of this rather than consistently suggesting I email them? Would that be too difficult?

As I stated, I googled it and there’s no record of this. As also stated, RTÉ issue a press release when they change sponsors, no release was issued. And Sky Fibre are listed as the show sponsors.

I think you should go directly to the source, and ask, to allay doubts. They are sponsors. Have a good evening.

I think you should go directly to the source, and ask, to allay doubts. They are sponsors. Have a good evening.

No, thank you for being so helpful.

Did I hear that Marty is in for Funboy Twee today?

They are sponsors. Have a good evening.

Is it you think they are sponsors? Or you know they are sponsors? If you know they are sponsors can you please cite a source.

More self promo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm... Lot of anger here ..

Dialling up the fun already.

(I was mistaken about Marty, maybe he's in for Beefy tomorrow and Sunday instead.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Speak for yourself Ryan.....

Autism, COVID, Childline, COVID, mental elf, nursing homes, COVID, conjoined kiddos, vaccines, COVID again, just in the first ten minutes.

All interspersed with humblebrags and TEACHERS.

Great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dialling up the fun already.

(I was mistaken about Marty, maybe he's in for Beefy tomorrow and Sunday instead.)

In for The Omen for two weekends..is Marty.

Ballsy is there for the weekend I believe.

Should be a fair shake of ‘subs’ floating around in various roles.

Carla should be busy, poor Ronan will have to mt the dishwasher

big deep purple man our tubs :)

omg did he just mention OINK?

The real conspiracy theory is that RTE might tell you actually the truth about something.

The fact that Tubridy seemingly never gets a negative text is enough to tell you that they give you their own filtered version of the news.

is al jazeera not a reputable news source? in comparison to like....fox ?

• Advertisement

is al jazeera not a reputable news source? in comparison to like....fox ?

Or RT, I would of thought so

Pouncing straight on the illness part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

'Can I just wish my nephew Chris a happy birthday?'

'What's his name? Happy birthday Ryan!'

Did I hear this correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I think Tubridy committed the ultimate sin by mentioning McDonald’s in Galway and not Supermacs?

Home of the Shnack Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Home of the Shnack Box.

And the Chicken Breast Sangwidge.

(as advertised with voiceover from former schoolteacher CEO McDonagh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know where Ryan got all those kids this week for the quiz but they were a real tonic.

So assured, smart and well spoken for kids so young.

• Advertisement

Home of the Shnack Box.
    elperello wrote: »
    And the Chicken Breast Sangwidge.

(as advertised with voiceover from former schoolteacher CEO McDonagh)

I have a lot of Galway cousins so I knew that sin straight away. I even shouted McDonalds? Ryan has no clue! He must have no Galway relations and was never told of the wonders of the curry chips.

elperello wrote: »
    I don't know where Ryan got all those kids this week for the quiz but they were a real tonic.

So assured, smart and well spoken for kids so young.

Yeah they are great from all over Ireland as well.

I suppose you could say they were well 'vetted' for the Pet's quiz? :D

I think they should keep some sort of quiz with the kids (when they are off school) he gets great chat out of them. Better than many of the interviews with the adults!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Would it have been that difficult for Tubridy to say that it's Good Friday today?

It was the first thing my elderly dad (who is not overly religious) said to me when I called into him. Seemingly Ryan started the programme saying it's Friday April 2nd.

I know its not the biggest issue in the world but it does matter to some people that a programme is one of the main ones that they listen to and it is felt that traditional beliefs like this are just ignored.

You can be damn sure that if it suited Ryan's agenda that he would be bloating on about Good Friday - it's just not cool enough anymore.

jimd2 wrote: »
    Would it have been that difficult for Tubridy to say that it's Good Friday today?

It was the first thing my elderly dad (who is not overly religious) said to me when I called into him. Seemingly Ryan started the programme saying it's Friday April 2nd.

I know its not the biggest issue in the world but it does matter to some people that a programme is one of the main ones that they listen to and it is felt that traditional beliefs like this are just ignored.

You can be damn sure that if it suited Ryan's agenda that he would be bloating on about Good Friday - it's just not cool enough anymore.

Good point actually. The 'Good Friday' thing has kind of gone from one extreme to the other. Being all pervasive, pubs shut, had to eat fish etc. To being ignored entirely. The first thing I now think of when 'Good Friday' is mentioned, is 'The Good Friday Agreement'. If am being honest.

My mother would be the same as your Dad. She would not be extremely religious. But she would still never eat meat on Good Friday and would mention that Good Friday is coming up etc.

(2nd April) I suppose highlights would be:

Reachout2021 - country music stars are having a virtual event for the ISPCC

Hush from Kulashaker was played

Have not heard that in a while.

Dennis the Menace is 70th according to an email in
    There is one for the pub quizzes. Plus Minnie the Minx is Dennis’ cousin.

Interview with Amy De Bhrun actress. it seemed very introspective and ‘arty’. How she feels etc. Her mother was her speech and drama teacher, sister an actress as well. So it is in the family. Tubridy seemed to enjoy the interview as he seems to be a massive 'Line of Duty' fan. Like big kid he was.

Minnie The Moocher by Cab Calloway (1931) was played

Bit of contrast to the Kulashaker previously I was not expecting it.

It was a little Cork girl called Elise on the pet’s quiz this time. Delighted with herself, couldn’t even hang up she was so happy she won. Tubridy had good craic with it.

I thought it was a good show overall. Tubridy seemed on form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement