Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good point actually. The 'Good Friday' thing has kind of gone from one extreme to the other. Being all pervasive, pubs shut, had to eat fish etc. To being ignored entirely. The first thing I now think of when 'Good Friday' is mentioned, is 'The Good Friday Agreement'. If am being honest.

My mother would be the same as your Dad. She would not be extremely religious. But she would still never eat meat on Good Friday and would mention that Good Friday is coming up etc.

And do you recall the same argument every year over what constituted a collation?

Fasting and abstinence, one full meal and two collations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

elperello wrote: »
    And do you recall the same argument every year over what constituted a collation?

Fasting and abstinence, one full meal and two collations.

I didn't know that one now - 'collations'. I looked it up being on the go since after the 14th century.

I am learning loads from this thread bacchus one day, and collations the next! :D

Now I will have to drop 'collations' into conversation casually with the parents to see how they react.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Further to the argument regarding alleged sponsorship of Ryan Tubridy Show by Petfix I can now bring clarity to the issue by quoting from their response to my email...
    No, we do not sponsor the show, but you may have heard us mentioned in the Kids Know Pets Quiz on the show this week as we provided the prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I have a lot of Galway cousins so I knew that sin straight away. I even shouted McDonalds? Ryan has no clue! He must have no Galway relations and was never told of the wonders of the curry chips.

Think it was Donagh's he mentioned for their famous fish and chips and not Mc Donald's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Further to the argument regarding alleged sponsorship of Ryan Tubridy Show by Petfix I can now bring clarity to the issue by quoting from their response to my email...

Just to clarify, I wasn’t arguing. I politely asked a perfectly valid question, only to be treated to a series of curt replies from a poster who insisted they sponsored the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t arguing. I politely asked a perfectly valid question, only to be treated to a series of curt replies from a poster who insisted they sponsored the show.

I think it was a valid question, and I thought the response was rude and dismissive and I think had it been a different poster. A warning would of been issued.

I am learning loads from this thread bacchus one day.

Sorry, I just read the comment were I corrected the spelling and it comes off a little condescending. Sorry. That was not my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Fair play :)

Sorry, I just read the comment were I corrected the spelling and it comes off a little condescending. Sorry. That was not my intention.

Ah you're grand I took it in the spirit it was meant.
    I actually looked up the spelling of it in an edit and forgot I meant to write 'Bacchus' twice. I didn't correct the second one after you highlighted, because I thought it was funnier that way.

I know nothing about wines or any of that craic, completely wasted on me. Sure I am sipping on a pint of Guinness now, ating me dinner.

To think though that young lad has 'Bacchus' as his middle name for life. Although in the circles he is likely to mix in when he is older. I assume it won't be an issue.

• Advertisement

Think it was Donagh's he mentioned for their famous fish and chips and not Mc Donald's.

Ah that makes more sense if that is what he said.

Edit: I listened back you were spot on.

I think it was a valid question, and I thought the response was rude and dismissive and I think had it been a different poster. A warning would of been issued.

Is the auld clique falling apart lads?

Great. Now that concerns about NK management scratching one another's back has been cleared up perhaps we can get on with discussing the programme.

To think though that young lad has 'Bacchus' as his middle name for life. Although in the circles he is likely to mix in when he is older. I assume it won't be an issue.
    It would be cool if we all just agreed not to drag kids in this forum. There's plenty of material on the host, and this is supposed to be the serious thread anyway.

Something deeply wrong about going after kids.

Moving on, as someone else noted, Ryan excels as a broadcaster when he's around children. He has a knack for speaking to them at their level without condescending to them. I think he'd be great just interviewing kids as a full radio gig.

Is the auld clique falling apart lads?

You clearly didn’t read the thread if that’s the conclusion you’ve drawn.

Moving on, as someone else noted, Ryan excels as a broadcaster when he's around children. He has a knack for speaking to them at their level without condescending to them. I think he'd be great just interviewing kids as a full radio gig.

That is the round about way how I ended up starting this thread. Because I caught a bit of Tubridy on radio now and again. Plus it was coming up to the Toy Show time (which I always enjoy - I don't watch anything else on the late late). So I started listening to the radio programme a bit more to hear updates and the likes.

I always thought Tubridy was the best of Byrne and Kenny when it came to the Toy Show. Great for getting chat out of them. Not afraid to act the eejit.

It was on here I noticed there was nowhere to properly discuss the content of any of the Tubridy radio stuff, as a result of my Toy Show interest.

Tubridy doesn't get it right 100% of the time with the kids chat. But he really tries hard to listen to them and make it amusing for them. Thinks on his feet.

He was good with that little Cork girl today. Got a few laughs out her, and put her at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

big deep purple man our tubs :)

We've something in common so. Which song did he play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sligojoek wrote: »
    We've something in common so. Which song did he play?

The kula shaker one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Great. Now that concerns about NK management scratching one another's back has been cleared up perhaps we can get on with discussing the programme.

Is that your apology? I have Terry Prone's number if you want it. :p

• Advertisement

Is that your apology? I have Terry Prone's number if you want it. :p

Terry Prone is in on this too. They're all in on it, dishing out free favours like the freemasons. Or they're just sponsors.

Honestly lads, I dont think there is anything to expose here. Maybe discuss the show.

Terry Prone is in on this too. They're all in on it, dishing out free favours like the freemasons. Or they're just sponsors.

Honestly lads, I dont think there is anything to expose here. Maybe discuss the show.

You could apologise for your repeated and incorrect assertion that Petflix were sponsors of the show. And for your completely unnecessary curt, rude, and confrontational replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

You could apologise for your repeated and incorrect assertion that Petflix were sponsors of the show. And for your completely unnecessary curt, rude, and confrontational replies.

:D

Alright... I think we've had enough of that. Back on topic before this descends further - Mod

Back on topic of the show, anyone fancy their chances of getting onto it as a guest caller? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Back on topic of the show, anyone fancy their chances of getting onto it as a guest caller? :D

Not a hope I'd say Cat, unless thoroughly vetted and a friend of the show, or NK.

On another note, I see no one has bothered to demod you yet-still time to change your mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Marty fookin Morrissey ;). I'm out even before the ball is thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I'll see your Marty and raise you a Twink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'll see your Marty and raise you a Twink

Rotten ***bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Tubridy this week even managed to squeeze the obligatory Toy Show reference into his 'tribute' to a deceased colleague. Manchild

Tubridy this week even managed to squeeze the obligatory Toy Show reference into his 'tribute' to a deceased colleague. Manchild

What really? I thought it was MM this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So after a week and a half off, Ryan needed another day off?

Did you hear his interview with Brent Pope?

It was pre-recorded, but still. It was one of those moments where you stay sitting in the carpark of some Lidl just to hear the exchange.

The guy is more than just some rugby pundit, I think a lot of Irish people have taken him to heart and have real affection for him. He conveyed a picture of the loneliness of lockdown for people who dont have family or kids with them, and gave a very sombre reflection on life without family.

I have my own family, but found the whole conversation very touching; sad, even – but not in a pitying way.

I'm surprised that Marty Morrissey was able to get that depth of honesty out of a guest. If anyone hasn't heard it, I'd really encourage you to find the podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It was pre-recorded, but still. It was one of those moments where you stay sitting in the carpark of some Lidl just to hear the exchange.

The guy is more than just some rugby pundit, I think a lot of Irish people have taken him to heart and have real affection for him. He conveyed a picture of the loneliness of lockdown for people who dont have family or kids with them, and gave a very sombre reflection on life without family.

I have my own family, but found the whole conversation very touching; sad, even – but not in a pitying way.

I'm surprised that Marty Morrissey was able to get that depth of honesty out of a guest. If anyone hasn't heard it, I'd really encourage you to find the podcast.

I heard most of it. I was upstairs when the program was coming on and turned it off when Marty said something about Nathan Carter. I think he said he was going to be a guest. I don't like Marty. Carter would be a typical guest and other topics would be something about the GAA and so on. Maybe a bit about a Clare village. Not for me.

I went downstairs for my cornflakes and turned on the radio and there was Pope talking. It was good I have to say. But not necessarily because of Marty.
    I wish Pope well. He has been good on TV with the rugby and I wish he was around again with Hook.

bobbyss wrote: »
    It was good I have to say. But not necessarily because of Marty.
    I wish Pope well. He has been good on TV with the rugby and I wish he was around again with Hook.
    Yes, I agree with all of this.

One thing that annoyed me about the interview was when Pope broke down, Morrissey just interjected with a lame " are u okay?" Instead of doing what any other broadcaster would do, and insert a bit of filler until the man gathers himself.

Seems like a trivial observation, I know, but it's just one of those personal skills that most broadcasters would instinctively have at-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Seems like a trivial observation, I know, but it's just one of those personal skills that most broadcasters would instinctively have at-hand.

Marty isn't a broadcaster though. Hes a GAA commentator.

He was a stand in from the RTE canteen today

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Uncharted wrote: »

Not too many broadcasters in RTE. Maybe that's why he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Uncharted wrote: »

He has his own show during GAA season..."The Marty Squad"

It was an excellent interview; Marty handled it like few could, with huge emotional sensitivity. Brent is one of the most sincere people on the planet, and Marty showed a genuine empathy, whilst making good radio. This is going to remain a broadcasting classic and I think we all wish Brent very well, he's on his toughest journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

One thing that annoyed me about the interview was when Pope broke down, Morrissey just interjected with a lame " are u okay?" Instead of doing what any other broadcaster would do, and insert a bit of filler until the man gathers himself.

It would be the equivalent of asking the fella who just won an All Ireland: How do you feel?

I didn't hear that particular part. But Marty is only for the highways and byways. I do think he has notions about himself. The jet black hair, the Elvis collar.

Yes, I agree with all of this.

I actually liked that he did that, it was sincerity over "broadcasting", and drew me to like Marty more.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    It would be the equivalent of asking the fella who just won an All Ireland: How do you feel?

I didn't hear that particular part. But Marty is only for the highways and byways. I do think he has notions about himself. The jet black hair, the Elvis collar.

He knows he is no "looker" and kind of does a bit of a p1$$take on himself, at least that's how I read it. As people stay sometimes hereabouts it is his schtick. He scores in having an upbeat personality and today showed he has the depth I have believed to underpin him. I'm zero interest in GAA etc, but he manages to make me feel more upbeat whenever he is on, even if I'm a bit bored by the content. I think he's the type of person I'd thoroughly enjoy sharing a road trip with, he seems emotionally balanced as well as empathetic. A person who would be easy work to be around.

He knows he is no "looker" and kind of does a bit of a p1$$take on himself, at least that's how I read it. As people stay sometimes hereabouts it is his schtick. He scores in having an upbeat personality and today showed he has the depth I have believed to underpin him.

Fair play to Marty Morrissey for leveraging the above as part of his 'schtick', but it's such a shìtty, superficial thing to make fun of. Oliver Callan is always banging away at it, and call me humourless, but it just isn't funny. I doubt anyone outside of RTE cares what he looks like.

Morrissey wouldn't be my favourite interviewer, but I agree with you that theres a decent, upbeat character at the mic and by all accounts, a genuinely nice guy.

Think you’re confusing Rosenstock and Callan there.

Rosenstock is the one who brought the fake tan and whiter than white toothed Marty to life on his short-lived tv sketch show and subsequent 6 times a season Late Late Show appearances. Callan’s version is “I’m Marty and I like to party”, which depicts an exaggerated version of a man who likes to party....and the laydeez (both things he’d be well known for in GAA circles), with a lot of added sexual innuendo and puns. I can’t recall an episode where it ever mentions his looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Freebie chocolate bunny from the shop he gets the papers from

Freebie,
    Beautiful,
    Our friends,
    Toy Show mention,
    Peculiar.....

All in the first 3 minutes. No bonkers though, intriguing.

Fake text alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Freebie,
    Beautiful,
    Our friends,
    Toy Show mention,
    Peculiar.....

All in the first 3 minutes. No bonkers though, intriguing.

Death now after 12 mins.
    Joe Biden after 14 mins - this is a dream come true in that its a combination of American politics and people talking about having family connections to Ireland.

Ffs you do not live in America Bryan. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

FAKE TEXT ALERT

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Advertisement