Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Wasn't there guarantees about going on foreign holidays in the first quarter of this year?
    I know people people have gone on them so Ryan's gaurantee made to a caller before Christmas has come true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Wasn't there guarantees about going on foreign holidays in the first quarter of this year?
    I know people people have gone on them so Ryan's gaurantee made to a caller before Christmas has come true!

And not just people from RTÉ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

When Ryan mentioned what his grandfather would have thought as he was going to meet the Queen, yer man who was doing the section on the Queen's visit in Reelin in the Years kind of ignored him and just continued talking. Didn't acknowledge what he said at all. That was refreshing. Who cares what his grandfather would have thought? Only Ryan.

But not everything is about him.

bobbyss wrote: »
    When Ryan mentioned what his grandfather would have thought as he was going to meet the Queen, yer man who was doing the section on the Queen's visit in Reelin in the Years kind of ignored him and just continued talking. Didn't acknowledge what he said at all. That was refreshing. Who cares what his grandfather would have thought? Only Ryan.

But not everything is about him.

And this sums up perfectly how different Bryan and I are, despite us being the same age and having (from the outside looking in at least) similar upbringings. My grandfather was very high up in the RNLI (lifeboats), and was offered some sort of Royal award and to receive same from the Queen in recognition of his lifelong service to same. He declined both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

And this sums up perfectly how different Bryan and I are, despite us being the same age and having (from the outside looking in at least) similar upbringings. My grandfather was very high up in the RNLI (lifeboats), and was offered some sort of Royal award and to receive same from the Queen in recognition of his lifelong service to same. He declined both.

Dainty little bugger you,Butters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Freebie chocolate bunny from the shop he gets the papers from

It was a strange little anecdote. He didn't mention the name of the shop or the person who gave it to him, if I'm not mistaken.

So why even bother saying it!? To remind everyone that he enjoys getting free stuff while out on his merry little adventures? Is he trolling after the freebie complaints before by mentioning something so petty?

And he even felt the need to add in, "the boss told the employee to give me the chocolate", just to make it all as legit as possible. A pointless lie.

It was a strange little anecdote. He didn't mention the name of the shop or the person who gave it to him, if I'm not mistaken.

So why even bother saying it!? To remind everyone that he enjoys getting free stuff while out on his merry little adventures? Is he trolling after the freebie complaints before by mentioning something so petty?

And he even felt the need to add in, "the boss told the employee to give me the chocolate", just to make it all as legit as possible. A pointless lie.
    He was probably just mentioning it as a random act of kindness. Someone else left an easter egg at his door last week. It's true, people can be very nice, it's no harm to mention those examples at fraught time in our history where there seems to be a lot of social tension between people.

I really don't see what could be offensive, or considered odd, about any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Someone paid my toll once on the m7 , I’ve never forgotten it .

Someone paid my toll once on the m7 , I’ve never forgotten it .

Wat colour was your car (at the time)?

He was probably just mentioning it as a random act of kindness. Someone else left an easter egg at his door last week. It's true, people can be very nice, it's no harm to mention those examples at fraught time in our history where there seems to be a lot of social tension between people.

I really don't see what could be offensive, or considered odd, about any of this.

The point is because of his “fame” he gets things for free that ordinary members of the public don’t. Its not that every single customer who bought a paper in that shop got a free chocolate bunny, it was only Bryan who got one as the boss told the employee (Andrew was his name btw) to gift him one for free.

• Advertisement

The point is because of his “fame” he gets things for free that ordinary members of the public don’t. Its not that every single customer who bought a paper in that shop got a free chocolate bunny, it was only Bryan who got one as the boss told the employee (Andrew was his name btw) to gift him one for free.
    who cares though?

He got a free chocolate rabbit, like. People are always doing nice things for each other, I think theres no harm in being reminded of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

who cares though?

He got a free chocolate rabbit, like. People are always doing nice things for each other, I think theres no harm in being reminded of that.

Exactly. All of this is just noise and fluff around his show. What was of substance in his show today? I don't know I only heard a few minute. But these opening monologues of his. They send me to the switch off button. All it is is just self promotion twaddle.

who cares though?

Have you seen the length of the Freebie List on this thread, compiled by boardsies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

You're right, the bar of chocolate thing is not offensive in itself. It's just waffle.

In a wider context, Tubridy has a long history of milking every freebie he can get his hands on and bragging about it. There were complaints made to RTE about it as it got so ridiculous at one point. RTE lied and said they return gifts to the senders when they get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

who cares though?

He shouldn't have gotten a free chocolate. If it was offered he should have refused it saying No thanks give it to some deserving customer.. No cop on at all.

who cares though?

I dont mind the bar on its own, I'd view that very much like yourself to be honest - a nice gesture. I've gotten the odd bit of chocolate or drink of lucozade free myself as part of a promotion.

I pointed out the free bar in an attempt to humoursly link it to what I would view is the almost industrial levels of solicitation and receipt of freebies that have been observed in the past. These just rub me the wrong way personally for a number of reasons, namely:

Giving promotion to one particular bookshop / bespoke jewellery retailler due to their proximity to the host and/or freebies rendered - I feel this is unfair on other bookshops for example that aren't regularly visited by Tubridy or dont send in freebies as they loose out on all that free promotion and feel pressured to do so or get left behind.

It just doesn't sit right with me morally either how the nature of the freebie for shoutout is done on such a transactional basis. There's an expectation. Do other shows get free stuff sent in in this volume? D'Arcy? Zamperlli?

Advertising leakage is costing rte revenue. Why pay for an expensive ad when you can just send in free stuff to a host.

The tone deaf nature of a man who is pulling around half a million euro per year asking for items to be sent in to him.

Doubling down on the already bad taste of receiving so many free items by spending a portion of a sub 50minute show that many feel is already repetitive and light on creative content or effort talking about said free items.

All the small things add up over time and I have a feeling a trip to Iceland was being mentioned as bait too. In isolation i don't have an issue with nice gestures but when nice gestures are the cloak underwhich a position is being abused it just don't sit right with me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,960 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(6th April) (No music on the days show - full of chat)

The little young lad called Adam (of virtual hug fame) is recovering as he was in hospital with a fractured bone he gave his twitter address @AdventuresWAD so people can wish him well.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/happy-to-be-homebut-very-sore-irelands-much-loved-adam-king-recovering-from-bone-fracture-40275939.html

An email was read out from a 59 year old person with a ‘self help vibe’ looking for an ear. Alcoholic parent etc It was kept anonymous. Tubridy did well in giving a response thinking on his feet.. Even though it can sound a bit like amateur psychology, difficult to find the appropriate words etc.

John O’Reegan was interviewed. O’Regan os the fella who created ‘Reeling in the Years’ It will be aired on Sunday 11th April.

https://extra.ie/2021/04/01/entertainment/movies-tv/reeling-in-years-2010s

The ‘new’ version Reeling in the Years 2010 - 2019 will be out. 2010 Google street view, the ipad, the ash cloud, debt etc. 2011 the Queen in Ireland, tsunami in Japan, Obama in Ireland.
    Apparently, the Queen speaking Irish was not especially for the Irish people. It is the Royal protocol to speak a few words from the country she was visiting.
    The bit the shocked me was that the Dubs did not get first billing winning Sam in 2011 with Cluxton’s famous kick. Never mind all that other craic!
    I did learn from Mr Reegan that Bob Dylan co-wrote Wagon Wheel, which was big hit for Nathan Carter in 2012.

The interview was worth a listen. O’Reegan played clips of momentous occasions and gave a summary of all of the above and more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

As above, it’s the openly asking for things that grate on people so much. And this from a fella who could afford it far more than I suspect 99% of his audience. It’s the brazen entitlement and complete lack of self-awareness of it all. Some people haven’t worked in a year (or longer) and are struggling to pay bills, mortgages etc. and you have Little Lord Fauntleroy bragging about his latest freebie THAT HE OPENLY ASKED FOR - and yes, he does ask for them. Sometimes ye even complains about the freebies (the number of chocolates in a box for example). It leaves a bad taste so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

About 5 sentences to tell us what day it is ;)

RTÉ contractor and lifer tells us how totes amazeballs an RTÉ programme is.

I, for one, am shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Be careful here Ryan. You could potentially alienate most of your audience here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bit of a rant about unhappy looking possibly happy people.
    Resting bitch face mentioned.
    Dead eyes mentioned.
    People that may dislike him mentioned. :D

Be careful here Ryan. You could potentially alienate most of your audience here.

Why are you like this? Can’t you be kind? :rolleyes::pac:

Teachers?

Did Bryan just make a complete balls of the word “resumé”?

Utter utter bollixology

As appropriate today as every other day.

As appropriate today as every other day.

Stop talking about Kosovo!

Oooh the Balkans. Careful here Bryan, you could say something very dodgy.

• Advertisement

Trump hanging out with a peculiar fellow.

Yes Bryan I have seen him wearing glasses.

Licking his wounds? I’d say Trump is quite happy Bryan actually.

Teachers?

Ah, he's just fixed it :):)

5 days? 20 days?

In the private sector Bryan you’re lucky to get 1 or 2.

Did I hear him say that civil servants get 20 days bereavement leave?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

20 days off for a bereavement

these people occupy a different universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Teachers?

Housewifes.

But funny you should mention teachers.

Dog’s Bay mention. Ffs.

If it was up to teachers they would have over 400 days off PER ANNUM

Did I hear him say that civil servants get 20 days bereavement leave?????

You did.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable. I didn’t know that. I’m going to invent a time machine just so I can go back in time and work in the civil service.

Only 5 days bereavement leave for teachers = callous?

Ryan, I got 3 days when my parents died even though I had to arrange funerals etc and was principal dome mourner etc... what you do is get sick leave. (Then get called to HQ that Christmas for taking too much sick leave but that's another story)

If it was up to teachers they would have over 400 days off PER ANNUM

Still less than the Gardai.

Someone's just checked him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Thanks for ruining Home of the Year finale ya gob****e

Read out my text Bryan, I bet you won’t.

Another day check.!!

Read out my text Bryan, I bet you won’t.

What did you say to him? :)

Ryan is WAY off the mark. Public Servants get 3 days off for a first degree relative's death, 1 day off for a second degree relative, and of course nothing for a cousin even though you are that cousin's sole next-of-kin and the sole person to arrange the funeral etc etc. The public service actually treated me most coldly during my bereavements. I need to put that straight for the record here. I do t think things have changed for the better since I left in 2017.

Totally inaccurate, he's talking through his rear-side as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement