Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Only 5 days bereavement leave for teachers = callous?

Ryan, I got 3 days when my parents died even though I had to arrange funerals etc and was principal dome mourner etc... what you do is get sick leave. (Then get called to HQ that Christmas for taking too much sick leave but that's another story)

He really does live in a parallel universe. He just dips into this one to steal a living !

Dog’s Bay mention. Ffs.

Did he not slip in a mention of his cousin's hotel again? Hmm?

It's only 09.24

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Stops watching a movie after 10 mins - not the first time that's happened I would bet. Same with a few books.

Also thought the movie was too depressing lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Stop doing your stupid put on fake accents.

No he didn’t mention it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Maybe the person in Aldi should have minded their own business in the first place?
    Top shopping tip in these weird times - MYOB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Tubridy gets five days to power hose his driveway.

Who here is a guy in their 20s? You've been called out!

Does anyone here ever reference the age and gender of posters?

• Advertisement

So I can tell you to your face why I don’t like you? Invitation accepted Bryan!

And I can be perfectly polite in my delivery.

Liberals love La La Land, but these guys were stuck in a traffic jam, going to jobs that would never satisfy their life goals. It makes them happy to think that workers were spontaneously dancing in the street and on their car bonnets. Never trust a person who bought into that movie. The film is about denial.

I've just tweeted the show, he's just upset me over that bereavement leave inaccuracy. He needs putting right.

“Adults are children with wrinkles”

I've just tweeted the show, he's just upset me over that bereavement leave inaccuracy. He needs putting right.

It will be ignored like all critical texts and tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

adults are children with wrinkles:confused:

• Advertisement

Imagine if someone said they read 5 pages of a book and gave up on it? First Man is very good if you gave it a chance you tool.

Ryan just points at houses he wants and buys them

A self described 59 year old woman lol

It will be ignored like all critical texts and tweets.

Yeah but visible to his fans until deleted.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Ryan just points at houses he wants and buys them

And unlike you or me has the funds to buy most of them - in cash, lying around the house. Though to be fair he does work very hard, sometimes as much as 8 hours a week in between holidays.

• Advertisement

Yeah but visible to his fans until deleted.

Most of his fans don’t use the Twitter machine.

Faux messages by the bucket load

A lot of us listen to ya Ryan with swollen eyes.

Oh here... why do I bother... get a life Cat!

FAKE TEXT ALERT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Imagine if someone said they read 5 pages of a book and gave up on it? First Man is very good if you gave it a chance you tool.

It would be a different story if it was called First Woman.

1am swollen eyes from crying. I really hope this is a fake text as the topic is harrowing.

Ffs Bryan that text is about as real as your interest in sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Liberals love La La Land, but these guys were stuck in a traffic jam, going to jobs that would never satisfy their life goals. It makes them happy to think that workers were spontaneously dancing in the street and on their car bonnets. Never trust a person who bought into that movie. The film is about denial.

No they don't. There was a substantial backlash in feminists circles about it. I believe it had something to do with Ryan Goslings characters gate keeping of "real music".

09.35 and still WAFFLIN

1am swollen eyes from crying. I really hope this is a fake text as the topic is harrowing.

Just dance around the kitchen table (another popular fake text topic) and you’ll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Just dance around the kitchen table (another popular fake text topic) and you’ll be fine.

That is me out. Good luck everyone. Cannot be dealing with that bollocks. Have a nice day.

An author, ..well I never !;)

Gorgeous book. Toy Show.

I’m out.

Book - gorgeous - toy show. All in 1 sentence. It's April. That's every month of the year so far a 1 off programme in November has been mentioned. I'm out.

No they don't. There was a substantial backlash in feminists circles about it. I believe it had something to do with Ryan Goslings characters gate keeping of "real music".
    They probably weren't liberals though.

I'm talking about a specific kind of middle class semi-social-democrat. They lap this stuff up.

Ad break. Please.
    Waffling.

Off for a 99 and a brisk stroll. Tough day in office complete ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Off for a 99 and a brisk stroll. Tough day in office complete ;)

His tough day only begins now, gearing up for the verbal abuse from 20+ year old males on the West Pier

Book - gorgeous - toy show. All in 1 sentence. It's April. That's every month of the year so far a 1 off programme in November has been mentioned. I'm out.

Every month? It’s certainly every week, and almost certainly every day. In fact, I can’t recall a show where he didn’t mention it.

• Advertisement

Every month? It’s certainly every week, and almost certainly every day. In fact, I can’t recall a show where he didn’t mention it.

It's the daily repeated themes in the show that make it monotonous and seem de out of content. Indeed the latter gets the most superficial treatment possible; as long as it can carry his favourite motif of kindness it passes for a segment in the show, as long as it can generate texts from listeners apparently balling their eyes out. Later he will likely totally forget about anything material the guest was actually on the show to speak about, eg when he said he had never heard of SUDEP (sudden death in epilepsy) after having somebody highlight it on his show. Demonstrates how he had not done any kind of research or he would likely have recalled it. He bears the hallmarks of a lazy presenter, supported by a laissez-faire broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(7th April) Tubridy went on about ‘dead eye’ whatever that is? It seems fairly subjective. I was thinking the simple answer to the problem would be to wear tinted glasses?

He mentioned Linkedin has 'single mother/stay at home mother' now listed as a job.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Stay-at-home-mom-parents-linkedin-16080398.php

I immediately thought of this Bill Burr sketch on Mother’s being the ‘hardest job in the world’

Tubridy mentioned teachers want more time off for mourning as they want more than the five day bereavement. As Civil Servants get 20 days for a bereavement according to article. (A Civil Servant texter was quick to .point out that this was untrue) So the TUI seem to be telling porkies?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/teachers-want-more-time-off-to-grieve-than-current-five-daysfor-death-of-close-family-member-40282783.html

My first thought was there are a lot of kids in each class that would surely mean lots of days off? No I was wrong it only includes close family members.

There was nice obscure fact that the leader of Kosovo,. Vjosa Osmani-Sadriu, is head of state aged just 38.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/nation-world/story/2021-04-06/kosovos-38-year-old-president-takes-office

I assumed it was the youngest leader in the world, but it is not.

That record goes to the Austrian head of state aged just 33 - Sebastian Kurz

https://gulfnews.com/photos/news/head-of-a-state-at-33---meet-the-youngest-serving-leaders-in-the-world-1.1577971904870?slide=2

Tubridy’s obsession with Trump continues, despite clearly not liking the man he seems to miss him. I am curious of this dynamic, so I looked it up.

There is psychology of groups/individuals hating another individual/group.

https://www.scienceofpeople.com/hate/

Apparently, opposing groups can strongly ‘bond’ over hating a particular group or individual. 'Mutual Dislike' it is called. It evokes a stronger response among a group than a 'Mutual Like' would.

'Negativity friendships'

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/magazine/10Section2b.t-7.html

In contrast to hate, there was an outpouring of love and support for the person who emailed in the previous day about her ‘dry drunk’ partner.

In the interview segment Áine Murray discusses her children’s book ‘A pain in the chest’

http://www.choicepublishing.ie/index_files/ainemurray.htm

https://thebookmark.ie/

The author is a trained psychologist and current teacher. The book tells children to talk about their feelings etc. She discussed a lot of practical tips for getting children to talk. Songs etc.

I noted that Tubridy did not ask Áine about the TUI looking for longer periods of bereavement. I suppose it would have been unfair.

After this there was a lot of heated discussion about the film 'First Man' 2018

I thought there was a few funny texts in (because of' The First Man' film) some fella was inspired to apply to become an astronaut on the back of it. Another person text in that they drove Neil Armstrong around Dublin.

The song played was Reuben (2008) by Cathy Davey.

She also released an as Gaeilge version of 'Reuben'. (Starts @00:40)

The as Gaeilge version is on an album called Ceol 09

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just on the bereavement leave, I think it is very personal, some may be ready to go back to work in a short time others may need more flexibility.

The circumstances of the bereavement, the relationship to the deceased, the state of mind of the employee are all factors that need to be considered.

In an ideal world wouldn't it be great if the default was "no pressure, come back when you are ready" ?

elperello wrote: »
    Just on the bereavement leave, I think it is very personal, some may be ready to go back to work in a short time others may need more flexibility.

The circumstances of the bereavement, the relationship to the deceased, the state of mind of the employee are all factors that need to be considered.

In an ideal world wouldn't it be great if the default was "no pressure, come back when you are ready" ?
    I don't know. Had two close family deaths in the past few years and in both cases, looking back, I think it was for the best that I had to soon return to work. Work gave me a focus (like mindfulness, almost) and crucially, a structure on my day.

In a different case altogether, I was in college in the UK in 2006 when an elderly grandparent died, and I wasn't even allowed come home. It was the best thing. I was amazed how quickly I got over it relative to siblings, and it was a good lesson: this tendency to dwell all day on grief is not doing our mental health any favours. By all means, allocate time to reflection and allow yourself to be sad, but also put your head down and get on with life. Too much wallowing is not conducive to resiliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Tubridy's ego is something else.

He's clearly trying to be the nations next Uncle Gaybo....the kind where people will be looking back in 20 years saying how great he was at the tough subjects, dealing with death and sadness and how he dealt with these things with such empathy.

I'd say he's dreaming about what they'll be saying about him when he dies...the late late show host of the time telling everyone how Ryan was all about kindness and how it was shown by Ryan taking credit for having the toy show charity event an annual event since 2020..

It's the only reason I can give for Tubridy's obessiveness over the word kindness

A Boreen in Cork City? That's just not true.

• Advertisement

Marietta biscuits, ;)

Slow news day clearly. Trying to make a press release from before the end of last year sound interesting.

Now boring biscuits.

0 preparation

This mimicking is extremely childish

That's not very kind to the poor dogs

• Advertisement
Advertisement