Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So you know it will be good because it stars a good (in your opinion) actor?
    And yet “First Man” stars a much better actor and isn’t?
    Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

2nd royal family mention within 10 mins. Its not bbc you are listening to, it's rte 1.

That's not very kind to the poor dogs

Another dog hater in RTÉ.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    0 preparation

Less than zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

2nd royal family mention within 10 mins. Its not bbc you are listening to, it's rte 1.

All over the queen the other day also

American nonsense now. Poet who dazzled us all.....sure, sure.

All over the queen the other day also

*snigger*

Makey up messages;)

Can't take anymore. I'm out.

Back and forth to different topics, can any producer look at themselves in a mirror and say they did good work today? I know that's not the objective (it's to put something out there so that Tubridy gets to send in his invoice) but just as part of their professional self respect would they not even try?

• Advertisement

Slow news day clearly. Trying to make a press release from before the end of last year sound interesting.

Now boring biscuits.

Bearly made it passed 15mins of randomly opening pages of a tabloid and reading out a story. Expect 30mins of reading out 'texts from lisreners' now to kill most of the rest of the hour.

You just never know where a show like this (with no preparation) will go.

Really?
    Late Late Show guests - past and future
    Late Late Show recap (Monday)
    Late Late Show preview (Monday - Friday)
    Toy Show
    Books
    Kindness
    Bonkers
    Peculiar
    Intriguing
    Gorgeous
    Beatles or “Macca” song
    Biden praise / Trump bashing
    One or more of the Clintons
    American politics
    Royal family shoyte
    “Or friends at _____”
    Freebie request
    Freebie thanks and plug for business
    Some waffle
    A mention of a good egg
    Stupid accents
    Overemphasized words (esp. “that”)
    Fake texts

That’s about it. No mention of bad eggs who were once good eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Come back ELO, and carry on playing.

Ryan thinking about 3 families who endured tragedies. I'd say he never stops enjoying thinking about things like that.

Now he’s discovered the phrase “dry drunk” he’s going to make it his thing for a while isn’t he?

Fake text and email time now.

Wtf is this. Honestly. What are we listening to. This email now is wirrten in the usual style of long emails to the show. Producers if you are reading you need to make them seem different when you are writing the 'listeners' emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A kind judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

This recent thing about "dry drunks" sounds a bit one sided. Always thought it was a rather offensive term to start with. I wonder do they consider that the drinking might in some cases have been self-medication, and now they are stopped, but the underlying problems that led to the drinking haven't gone away.

Wtf is this. Honestly. What are we listening to. This email now is wirrten in the usual style of long emails to the show. Producers if you are reading you need to make them seem different when you are writing the 'listeners' emails.

I’ve said this before - all of these fake emails are clearly written by the same person or couple of people. They’re all too well composed and structured, and remarkably similar in style ....:rolleyes:

All fake filler content. I’d say we’d be lucky if 1 in 10 are real.

• Advertisement

Multi-millionaire offering us budget tips now with a gorgeous €28 budget planner. As much a man of the people as Joe Duffy.

I’m out. Thankfully.

Free budget planner.

(Maybe not enough space for ryan to fill in his 'income' section)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Be careful what she says about the Shinners, Ryan, don't want to be accusing them of things they didn't do ....... AGAIN.

Close to your heart, close to your soul, close to your brain wtf

A book of course, about someone's granny in Dublin. Yay.
    I'm out, any one who listens to this should be paid for it.

Other texters as "friends we have never met"

Pass the fcuking bucket (tears of anguish streaming down me face)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

You just never know where a show like this (with no preparation) will go.

Really?
    Late Late Show guests - past and future
    Late Late Show recap (Monday)
    Late Late Show preview (Monday - Friday)
    Toy Show
    Books
    Kindness
    Bonkers
    Peculiar
    Intriguing
    Gorgeous
    Beatles or “Macca” song
    Biden praise / Trump bashing
    One or more of the Clintons
    American politics
    Royal family shoyte
    “Or friends at _____”
    Freebie request
    Freebie thanks and plug for business
    Some waffle
    A mention of a good egg
    Stupid accents
    Overemphasized words (esp. “that”)
    Fake texts

That’s about it. No mention of bad eggs who were once good eggs.

The accents are awful. I just sit here and cringe. Same with the Beatles stuff. Yes, I know they have a wide breath. And did lots of experimental and groundbreaking stuff. But all that gets played are the same old songs. It's as if his whole Beatles collection is a greatest hits album and a couple of Wings albums.

The Beatles love in, just like his interest in politics feels more like an affectation.

And wasn't Tubs supposed to be a lounge lizard. Did he curate a couple of crooners albums back in the late 00s. What's behind the pivot from Crooners to Beatles.

I just don't get it. Everything about the man feels like an affectation. Who is the real Tubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Back and forth to different topics, can any producer look at themselves in a mirror and say they did good work today? I know that's not the objective (it's to put something out there so that Tubridy gets to send in his invoice) but just as part of their professional self respect would they not even try?

This got me thinking.

Ryan is a private company who bills Rte for his services.

The 3 or 4 members of 'the team' who help him put together this mish mash of a show every day and who sit behind the glass when he's on air, they are rte employees I'm guessing.

Do rte bill Ryan's company for their time?

NIMAN wrote: »
    This got me thinking.

The 3 or 4 members of 'the team' who help him put together this mish mash of a show every day and who sit behind the glass when he's on air, they are rte employees I'm guessing.

Yes they are RTÉ employees. Come on now, you know the answer to the second part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

NIMAN wrote: »
    This got me thinking.

That kind of contractor Is essentially an employee not on the payroll, exact same as an employee bar he pays his own tax and benefits and needs limited notice about termination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

That kind of contractor Is essentially an employee not on the payroll, exact same as an employee bar he pays his own tax and benefits and needs limited notice about termination.

And something that revenue has been claiming to clamp down on.

I am not sure if any of the on air staff in RTE are actual employees as opposed to contractors anymore. Apart from Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh

I think she might be the last presenter hired as an employee.

• Advertisement

I am not sure if any of the on air staff in RTE are actual employees as opposed to contractors anymore. Apart from Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh

Revenue have clamped down somewhat , like claiming fuel and lunch etc but really it’s the gig economy’s fault, tubs is ok but deliveroo and IT support etc is a ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

elperello wrote: »
    Just on the bereavement leave, I think it is very personal, some may be ready to go back to work in a short time others may need more flexibility.

The circumstances of the bereavement, the relationship to the deceased, the state of mind of the employee are all factors that need to be considered.

In an ideal world wouldn't it be great if the default was "no pressure, come back when you are ready" ?
    I don't know. Had two close family deaths in the past few years and in both cases, looking back, I think it was for the best that I had to soon return to work. Work gave me a focus (like mindfulness, almost) and crucially, a structure on my day.

In a different case altogether, I was in college in the UK in 2006 when an elderly grandparent died, and I wasn't even allowed come home. It was the best thing. I was amazed how quickly I got over it relative to siblings, and it was a good lesson: this tendency to dwell all day on grief is not doing our mental health any favours. By all means, allocate time to reflection and allow yourself to be sad, but also put your head down and get on with life. Too much wallowing is not conducive to resiliance.

You both make very good points. It just shows how people are different and handle bereavement differently. Naturally it depends on your age and circumstances at the time. And your relationship to the person who is deceased. Also the age of deceased person and whether it was sudden.

I am envious of those who have a really strong religious faith. As it seems like both a safety net and comfort blanket when it comes to bereavement. It seems to allow a person to stoically face mortality and death.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The whole lie is really exposed when there's litigation. RTE accepts vicarious liability on behalf of contractors, whose company should by rights be the respondent party, if that company is exercising substantial control over the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(8th April)

Tubridy mentioned Cork people are pedestrianising streets. I think they are trying to fix it.
    Personally as Dub I think they need a lot more than that!

Apparently, Tubridy is also a fan of Marietta biscuits. First thing I thought of was Kevin Heffernan (Former Dublin Manager) he was mad for his Marietta biscuits as well. He used to give them to the players after training.

Tubridy came out with more obscure and odd news. A Mexican candidate in an election used a coffin as a prop to protest against covid deaths. He even got in the coffin.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-mexico-election-candidate-coffin-campaign-cartel-deaths-14572026

There was mention of a very sad story of Anne O’Sullivan who died of cancer

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/six-months-after-kanturk-tragedy-sole-survivor-anne-osullivan-loses-her-battle-against-cancer-40286476.html

Her family was involved in a dispute over farmland, and it ended horrifically

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40071698.html

An author named Eimear Lawlor was interviewed about her book ‘Dublin’s Girl’.

I looked up the book her second name definitely seems to be Lawlor

https://curledupwithagoodbook.co.uk/dublins-girl-eimear-lawlor/

https://www.omahonys.ie/dublins-girl-p-10495232.html?c=1790

Tubridy referred to her as Eimear Doyle twice both in the intro and closing.

I assume he read the book and had the name Doyle in his head?

Anyway, Eimear wrote a fictional book based on her Great Aunt Vera Doyle was involved with Sinn Fein back in 1918. Eimear found it easier writing the book when she created a fictional character. A creative writing course sparked her into writing in 2014. She was egged on to it by her daughter, Ciara (who later died at just 17). Eimear coped with her grief by writing to her daughter. She seemed like a very sensible and level headed woman.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The whole lie is really exposed when there's litigation. RTE accepts vicarious liability on behalf of contractors, whose company should by rights be the respondent party, if that company is exercising substantial control over the content.

That's a great point which I had never considered.

so they should make Noel kelly a supplier and make him liable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd say they have bullet proof contracts from the idiots in RTE stating if a contractor f's up, RTE pick up the tab.

Very good point

I wonder what kind of insurance these contractors take out. Obviously doesn't cover any kind of contingency sick pay, but would it cover legal costs in certain circumstances? I'm sure such plans exist but they would be extremely expensive and probably quite limited in coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I didn't have a Marietta in years. I must buy a packet.

I remember kids talking about Marie ate a biscuit.

And then there was the Mickey Do (Mikado) which was a kind of fluffy affair.

• Advertisement

Who is currently suing her employer....

Straight in with the LLS.

Morning radio on RTE is great.

Ryan laying the groundwork for when he gets the vaccine ahead of other (if it hasn't already happened yet)

Ryan laying the groundwork for when he gets the vaccine ahead of other (if it hasn't already happened yet)

"Fascinating to watch".

New guest being lined up for the LLS.

Came on to say exactly this.

Can’t believe he compared OJ to George Floyd as an example of race suppression in the US. OJ literally got away with murdering a white woman her boyfriend because he was black and famous. He was not exactly a victim of racism.

It’s hilarious Bryan isn’t it?

'Theres always someone to play the system' says the contractor to RTE.

• Advertisement

FFS RTÉ will you get over Paul Mescal and Normal People.

Advertisement