Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This is on a different scale, but I've heard Louis Theroux on his lockdown podcast saying that he's always getting sent free stuff, and feels an understandable urge to mention it in gratitude. And even though he doesn't, people still send in their wares.

I don't understand why anyone pays the blindest bit of attention to whether broadcasters get a free bit of soap, since presumably these are from small, irish firms who could never dream of buying advertising space on a national broadcaster in the first place. If they get a fleeting mention, who cares? Egg man isn't going to be buying ad space, there's no opportunity cost to RTE.

Next up, what does John Creedon do with all those demos he gets sent? He doesn't enjoy them, I should hope.

The level of self-awareness and decorum Louis Theroux demonstrated there is far beyond anything Tubridy has ever shown. That may be where the problem lies.

It's not that he gets unsolicited freebies. It's that he encourages and revels in it, with his relentless stories about "scoffing" free grub, necking free cocktails and "gobbling up" free books. He encourages it wholeheartedly. I cant think of another broadcaster who relishes the freebie like Tubridy.

Maybe it's a self-esteem thing in that it makes him feel appreciated or something, but it sounds horrible IMO. Imagine going into work every day and just harping on and on and on about how much **** you have. People would get sick of you fairly fast.

It's not that he gets unsolicited freebies. It's that he encourages and revels in it, with his relentless stories about "scoffing" free grub, necking free cocktails and "gobbling up" free books. He encourages it wholeheartedly. I cant think of another broadcaster who relishes the freebie like Tubridy.
    What would be preferable? For Tubridy to come into studio and give-out stink about people giving him eggs? Or just not say anything to the people who want their little business to be mentioned?

If I were Tubs, I'd enjoy every bit of it, unapologetic, and give them a plug, if they're halfway decent. People are going to grumble anyway, as is our right, so be it.

All of this over a box of eggs, and bread and the like! At least we know he doesn't get a free TV licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Regarding Dot Tubridy, that's her married name, but there could be a distant relationship to her husband's family. According to Wikipedia, Ryan's father was Dr. Patrick Tubridy; whose father was Seán Tubridy, a TD for Galway/Galway West in the 1920s/30s; whose father (Ryan's great grandfather) came from Kilmurry McMahon, County Clare; which is not far from Kilrush, where Dot Tubridy's husband, Michael Tubridy, came from. So it is possible that there could be some actual connection, or an assumption or a guess that there is a connection.

There was an Evening Herald article in 2009 which described Dot as Ryan's aunt, so that is wrong anyway. In a book, Ryan referred to Dot as his cousin. He must have meant this in a wider sense of kin or relative.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He read out my little tale about getting stuck in a wet suit and having to come home on the train and bus still in it, was roaring laughing, called me "one of our regulars". My friend heard it too and laughed at the memory. I was actually looking for a new home for the wet suit, which got donated to a special needs charity through his show.

Once he asked listeners for any examples of blue food, and he read out my recipe for vivid purple-blue mash which is made from a traditional Scottish potato sometimes available in likes of Fallon & Byrne, and the dark blue crisps made from same potato which were likewise on sale in some gourmet shops.

I used to love that show and he called me "one of the regulars". By contrast Tubridy is so elitist.

Was that his daytime show? I was raging when they pulled the plug on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was that his daytime show? I was raging when they pulled the plug on that.

Think it was the Ronan Collins slot.

• Advertisement

Think it was the Ronan Collins slot.

A good light hearted show. Current affairs were left to other people.

Yeah, it was a class show and I too was really disappointed when they pulled it. I'd have John present the Tubridy slot any time, but then he'd be missed in the evening show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What would be preferable? For Tubridy to come into studio and give-out stink about people giving him eggs? Or just not say anything to the people who want their little business to be mentioned?

If I were Tubs, I'd enjoy every bit of it, unapologetic, and give them a plug, if they're halfway decent. People are going to grumble anyway, as is our right, so be it.

All of this over a box of eggs, and bread and the like! At least we know he doesn't get a free TV licence.

I’m not bothered about it all , just more filler really for an empty show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

You guaranteed foreign holidays in quarter one-ish Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

'This is the sound of a spider web'.

No. no, it's not.

• Advertisement

Is it me or is he talking more gibberish than usual today.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is it me or is he talking more gibberish than usual today.

It's a bit worse today, more hyped up. Can't remember the name of a film he liked (watched the trailer for)

Liveline Lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Who cares ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

the accountant did not make a withdrawal in time

"Radio gold" says a texter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It’s not about one box of eggs.

He's exceeded himself this morning in flaky pollyfilla substitute filler. Lazy, lazy, lazy broadcasting that serves no purpose whatsoever. Dreadful stuff.

That was some pile of stinking shoyte today even by Tubs’ standards. The what’s app voice message interchange with Lottie Ryan was the highlight, and by highlight I mean low point.

That was some pile of stinking shoyte today even by Tubs’ standards. The what’s app voice message interchange with Lottie Ryan was the highlight, and by highlight I mean low point.

Honestly, how does he actually get away with such low broadcasting standards? I mean he is stealing a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Famously Hamilton was never President.

This was today’s show for anyone who missed it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Honestly, how does he actually get away with such low broadcasting standards? I mean he is stealing a living.

You new here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(15th April)

Sound of spiders was played

A contributor to the show gave a fact that 80% of house spiders never leave the house.

There was mention of Mr Nigel Farage who got tricked similar to Mo from the Simpsons.

There was discussion of mobile phones and avoiding them

In order to make his point Ryan told a long winded story about seeing Lottie Ryan and he was in a rush so used his phone to send her a message. To be honest Ryan could have left out the blow by blow account of the Lottie Ryan story. He told the story in the manner of a teenage girl.

Tubridy was very ‘Callanesque’ in a lot of his voices and dramatic manner through most of the opening of the programme for some reason. He seemed a bit hyper.

The interview redeemed the show. The family (daughter and wife) of a man called John Cameron (who has dementia) helped him write a book about his time in Artane and following foster care. Even the story about how his wife met him was a nice one.

The book is called: Boy 11963

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/abandonment-abuse-and-redefining-family-the-extraordinary-story-of-boy-11963/ar-BB1frTnM

Treasa (his wife) was full of information of what old Ireland used to be. Treasa told how a woman (Nell) who befriended him wanted to adopt him. But because she was single and protestant she never would have had a chance.

His daughter (Aileen) used a phrase she found which described his time at school ‘He was of good quality’. His early life was divided up as follows 3-8 years being fostered 8-16 years at Artane.

It sounded like his family did fantastic research a lot of siblings were located. John’s parents had a real interesting back story in the 1930s His mother was national story in a court case in Ireland which was one of the first times DNA testing was used.

Both family members spoke very eloquently about the long and detailed story.

I like this song that was played called ‘American Cliche’ by Finneas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

In order to make his point Ryan told a long winded story about seeing Lottie Ryan and he was in a rush so used his phone to send her a message. To be honest Ryan could have left out the blow by blow account of the Lottie Ryan story. He told the story in the manner of a teenage girl.
    LOL. I thought that was surreal alright. Like some bizarre stream of consciousness.

Though I missed the beginning as to the whole point of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

elperello wrote: »
    I didn't have a Marietta in years. I must buy a packet.

I remember kids talking about Marie ate a biscuit.

And then there was the Mickey Do (Mikado) which was a kind of fluffy affair.

There was a biscuit called 'Marie' pronounced 'Maree' biscuits, they were a chunkier version of Marietta but slimmer than the chunky version of Rich tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I remember Gay Byrne used to call Mikado 'Mick a doo'. Though I think he was referring to the musical rather than the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

plodder wrote: »
    LOL. I thought that was surreal alright. Like some bizarre stream of consciousness.

Though I missed the beginning as to the whole point of it.

That Ger Gilroy fella is notorious for it on Newstalk. Except he does a far better impression of a teenage girl. 'And I was like and were you like etc'

I am wondering is any behind the scenes staff able to signal to Ryan through the glass window?

Ryan you are OTT on this bit move on etc. I honestly think he has been influenced by Oliver Callan. Because it was around the time he started subbing in that Tubridy started putting on accents and dramatic voices etc. I don't think it suits him at all.

Ok now and again for dramatic effect. I would give leeway on that. But not a run of it.

Edit: I sent an email to ryan@rte.ie pointing it out.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/cormac-%C3%B3-headhra-usually-an-irresistible-force-is-stopped-by-an-immovable-bureaucrat-1.4538335?mode=amp

Tubridy and his freebie getting a mention in the Irish Times today along with getting pulled up on his lack of self awareness re his 'joke' about a discounted license fee for himself.

At the opposite end of the temperamental spectrum is Ryan Tubridy (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays), for whom civility is paramount. Commendable though Tubridy’s manners are, however, he gets carried away on Wednesday. He recounts how after greeting “the lads” who deliver goods to a local shop, “I weirdly come away with a loaf or six eggs”, despite, he hurriedly adds, not asking for them. In return, Tubridy not only thanks the delivery men but names the small food companies they work for.

It’s a thoughtful gesture, and while one might also argue that Tubridy is handing out plugs in return for favours, he’s set his bar low. Any worries that the presenter might be impoverishing himself with such altruism are dispelled as he cheekily wonders if he’s due a discount when paying his television licence. It’s jokey small talk, of course, but given how everyone else’s licence fees pay his generous salary, Tubridy might display more self-awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

PieOhMy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/cormac-%C3%B3-headhra-usually-an-irresistible-force-is-stopped-by-an-immovable-bureaucrat-1.4538335?mode=amp

Tubridy and his freebie getting a mention in the Irish Times today along with getting pulled up on his lack of self awareness re his 'joke' about a discounted license fee for himself.

At the opposite end of the temperamental spectrum is Ryan Tubridy (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays), for whom civility is paramount. Commendable though Tubridy’s manners are, however, he gets carried away on Wednesday. He recounts how after greeting “the lads” who deliver goods to a local shop, “I weirdly come away with a loaf or six eggs”, despite, he hurriedly adds, not asking for them. In return, Tubridy not only thanks the delivery men but names the small food companies they work for.

It’s a thoughtful gesture, and while one might also argue that Tubridy is handing out plugs in return for favours, he’s set his bar low. Any worries that the presenter might be impoverishing himself with such altruism are dispelled as he cheekily wonders if he’s due a discount when paying his television licence. It’s jokey small talk, of course, but given how everyone else’s licence fees pay his generous salary, Tubridy might display more self-awareness.

That's suprising, ive never seen Heany write critically about Tubs before.

That's suprising, ive never seen Heany write critically about Tubs before.

I feel like this provides a sense of vindication for the thread. Two of the main issues flagged here are Tubridys grifting for freebies and lack of self awareness and now a professional radio critic in the Irish Times has echoed these sentiments. If that isn't legitimate then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Multiple plugs up coming for a favourite haunt of his ;). Some friend of the show is already celebrating their win ;)

School tour to the Aras

Woman out looking for "fit fellas".

He finds it hilarious

If a bloke did that he'd be labeled a pervert.

Wtf is going on. Does he know he's still on the air? Is he talking to one of the backroom staff?

Even less production effort put in to today's show and that's saying something

• Advertisement

I take back what I said yesterday, today’s show is worse. A lot worse. He didn’t even know what month we were in to start with.

I think we’ve had a record number of “beautiful”s and “gorgeous”esssesssssessss today.

After talking about how retail business need help to get back on their feet after the lockdown through the council waiving fees etc the very same business now have just been instructed to GIVE FIRST COFFEES TO REGULARS FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waffled the whole way to 925, that takes skill.

How does he get away with this? It really is one of life’s great mysteries.

• Advertisement

I take back what I said yesterday, today’s show is worse. A lot worse. He didn’t even know what month we were in to start with.

I don’t even know what day it is :)

How does he get away with this? It really is one of life’s great mysteries.

He's an untouchable it seems.

Who would be his immediate superior at RTE? Would it be Dee herself?

I could never imagine someone pulling him into a meeting and saying, "Ryan we need to have a chat about your daily show, it really is rubbish and it needs a shakeup ".

NIMAN wrote: »

I could never imagine someone pulling him into a meeting and saying, "Ryan we need to have a chat about your daily show, it really is rubbish and it needs a shakeup ".

In the old days rte people tended to get angry when such thing was suggested

NIMAN wrote: »

He started doing work for rte age 12. His family historically are connected to rte and broadcasting in Ireland. Nobody will be telling him anything and the attitude reflects this.

So he studied Greek and Roman too, but it worked out for him, he became a millionaire out of it.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    He started doing work for rte age 12. His family historically are connected to rte and broadcasting in Ireland. Nobody will be telling him anything and the attitude reflects this.

he must notice :)

In the awesome hbo show Silicon Valley there’s an employment situation in which character “big head” found himself called “unassigned” where the unassigned turn up every day on full pay and hang out on the roof , that’s our boy Ryan :)

Sidebaawwr

Your folks.

There's a man whose wife made him go on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Benjamin Franklin was a former President Of The United States, says our resident American Politics expert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement