Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Ryan stepping into Joe Duffy territory re Dublin City Public toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PieOhMy wrote: »
    If they had to meet you in the flesh you wouldn't be interviewing them in the first place ryan so it's really a moot point.

Even pre-Covid, big names like Dolly Parton and Tom Jones had stopped visiting The Late Late Show many years ago.
    So blaming Covid for them having to do Zoom interviews is a false point he's making.

Thats why it died as a show, as its only filled with Irish z-listers and RTE staff. Plus more misery.

"For years I thought Al Fresco was a crooner"

Haven't heard that joke in a few weeks.

Some of my best friends are water?

He hasn't booked tickets because he's waiting on a freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

NIMAN wrote: »
    He hasn't booked tickets because he's waiting on a freebie.

To Iceland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

He transcends generations, but the only reason we have him on both of our shows today is because he doesn't have to transcend the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tom tell us about Irish music

If that 20mins of broadcasting was any lighter and inconsequential it would evaporate.

There is a skill to being able to talk for that long and also press the right buttons at the right time and such output is so mild and mikly that it will never upset anyone and maybe people don't want to be challenged or engaged too much at this time of the morning but at the same time it's just such absolute nonsense and waffle that costs so so so so much money it's hard to believe that it's value for money.

It's just reading out text messages and talking about movies that almost nobody has seen, like really what is this crap? And that's the better part of the show for me! It gets worse when it takes 20mins to 'interview' someone who wrote a book / has a terminal illness for the rest of the show. The lack of effort and creativity is what gets me more so than the poor content as content could be a matter of taste and maybe some people like that type of thing, but just not trying and being happy to rinse rte for sick money month in month out with no effort or attempt to provide value for money put forth just annoys me.

• Advertisement

Ireland elvis Beatles bingo

Nothing left in the tank for tonight?

RTE Radio 1 website describes the show as, "..a fast paced entertaining and informative sixty minutes of morning radio".

Your wife passed away!

Your wife passed away!

How did make you feeeeel

Ireland elvis Beatles bingo

Nothing left in the tank for tonight?

Good call. Will it be the same interview tonight?

Tom wrapping up and 20 mins to fill

• Advertisement

Of course it will be.

You really think Tubs will be able to come up with new questions?

Tom wrapping up and 20 mins to fill

The quiz with the children of the producers freinds is on a Friday I think

Just covered bereavement so I’d be certain we’ll be covering these topics later

Ryan has wiki open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It's a shyte interview. Reeling off scripted questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just came on to say, they'll have nothing to talk about tonight.

I see others got there before me.

• Advertisement

He's going to "be on" the late late show tonight. I presume that they are green screening him in or something?

How much did you pay for you're ½dozen tickets Ryan ?

Earlier did I correctly hear Ryan say "when I went to COLLECT the papers... I mean BUY them...."

:D

Who did ryan say was his godfather?

Very cheap advertising for a good friend ;)

Oh local Irish business owner thanking Ryan for all his support of irish businesses! She sent this email but didn't send a free sample to Ryan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Tom tell us about Irish music

He did not say that did he?

Tom Jones notes expert on Irish trad music.

He did not say that did he?

Tom Jones notes expert on Irish trad music.

Tom didn’t flinch , total pro dropped in Bono and the chieftains early

Omg tubs just made an actual penis joke to the caller :)

Did she thank the producer for ringing her
    ?

• Advertisement

I'm not fond of his broadcasting style but will say this much about Tubridy, it sounds like be gets along well with the production team. That's a good insight into his personality, I'd reckon he's easy to get along with. OK, not the best broadcaster, but a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The Tubridy approach to broadcasting. He only gets enthused when there's a death or a freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(23rd of April)

Tubridy revealed he does not actually swim in the sea when he goes walking by it in the morning. He had a bit of discussion about facilities opening their facilities for people who want to go to the jacks.

He again mentioned a film called ‘The Sound of Metal’

The plot is about a drummer who lost his hearing.
    However, a contributor to the show pointed out the inaccuracies of the film.

A famous 80 year old Jones - first name Tom was interviewed.
    I believe he is Welsh. New album out.’Surrounded by time’. (His 42nd album!)

Tom revealed a lovely bit of info that Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains told him that that ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ was based on an Irish Trad song. Jones also had a few Beatles stories and Elvis stories. One involving Elvis singing to him in the shower!

Tubridy definitely knows his Tom Jones stuff, well researched. Mr Jones was in fine form.

The Ben Quiz was more successful than the previous week. The contestant (Aoife) was from Galway going for a prize for a weekend away in a place in Galway. (Tubridy had great fun with the innuendos it was good humoured)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A good interview with Tom Jones who is of course showbiz royalty.

Still sexy after all these years.

This is him in his prime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVpqOG-HDY

That paddy maloney story about heartbreak hotel ripping off an Irish trad lick is BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

elperello wrote: »
    A good interview with Tom Jones who is of course showbiz royalty.

Still sexy after all these years.

This is him in his prime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVpqOG-HDY

How he stayed so healthy is what I don't understand. With the rock and roll lifestyle etc.
    He spoke about it in his interview. Never smoked. Maybe that is the key? Never went too far down the slippery slope.

If you did not know who he was in the interview you would not say he was 80.

I always think that part of the reason Jones is such a common surname is because Tom made sure to do his bit to stop population decline :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm not fond of his broadcasting style but will say this much about Tubridy, it sounds like be gets along well with the production team. That's a good insight into his personality, I'd reckon he's easy to get along with. OK, not the best broadcaster, but a nice guy.

Reminds me of a project a few of us worked on several years ago. Was to take 8 months. Project leader hated us, we hated her. A few of us didn't get on too well either in the team.

When we were given the project I realised that I had worked on the exact same one for the exact client about 18 months previously. So we had literally 80-85% of the work done. In other words the 8 months was a doss. We all realised we were on the pigs back for the few months financially so we buried the hatchet, covered for each other and got on great for 8 months.

Once finished it was back to normal, we kept on hating/disliking/ignoring each other.

RTE is the same. They all realise they are in a piss easy job with very short hours, excellent pay and benefits and little to no real targets or pressure to achieve them. The RTS is paint by numbers; get a few people on with long term illnesses or recent bereavements during the week, spend an hour marking out 'interesting' stories for Tubs to pontificate over in the tabloids, and 90% of the show is done.

No wonder they all get on so well, there's no pressure and no repercussions for throwing out dross week after week, month after month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Agreed..

Comes across as a decent and pleasant and engaging type person..

Yeah to be fair, he was up here in Donegal couple of years ago on one of his Atlantic Way roadshow things, when he did his show from the roadcaster.

After the live show was off air, he was great with all the mum's and kids. Spent loads of time chatting and getting photos taken, and OH said he was very nice and ever since tends to not let me say a bad word about him!

So I have no doubt he is a nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah to be fair, he was up here in Donegal couple of years ago on one of his Atlantic Way roadshow things, when he did his show from the roadcaster.

After the live show was off air, he was great with all the mum's and kids. Spent loads of time chatting and getting photos taken, and OH said he was very nice and ever since tends to not let me say a bad word about him!

So I have no doubt he is a nice guy.

Yep. He’s very upbeat type person.

Has a real good nature about him..

So, I kinda’ feel bad when slating him as a broadcaster/interviewer..

He has talent, just something missing for me. Quite fluent and articulate and interested. He just seems to always go overboard on some stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

I have heard from quite a few people I know that have met him that he's a very nice chap IRL.
    That doesn't negate the frequent head scratching that occurs when listening to his output though!

PS Alan Partidge's magazine show 'This Time with Alan Patridge' is back on our screens next Friday on BBC1...at 9.30pm...symetrical
    PPS I'm not a new caller btw

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This is even by his own standards “poppycock”.

Friend of young people Bryan says “stop demonizing young people”

Not joyful films? Right up your street so ryan you simply thrive on grief pain and human suffering.

Enough sorry in the world without having to sit through 2 more hours of it? Is this for real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"...Schindler's List lacked kindness..."

Lot of virtual signalling this morning.

Kennedy!
    Fake American accent!
    Intriguing!

Well
    This is tedious... whoy am I even listening? :D

Outrage because black actor didn’t win Oscar because he died and was black. #woke

• Advertisement
Advertisement