Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Only heard bits of this. Sweet Jesus...wtaf.

Forbes should be locked in a room for days with that rubbish on loop.

This has descended into pure farce now. Absolutely nothing to offer. D4bes defends this shyte ;)

That's a lie, sir! Dee Forbes has never defended this thread

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dermot+Dave had a right laugh at the LL line-up tonight. :)
    6 fully vaccinated oap's :):)

"Wonderful" Bill & Melinda Gates marriage. "Decoupling"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

"Ronan o gara had a good weekend in terms of his pals in the rugby fraternity."

A broadcaster who sounds like an artifical intelligence robot is not a good broadcaster.

FAKE EMAIL ALERT.

CRYING WHILE WALKING THE DOGS!

Edit: also sobbing on a bench in the garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I am confused. Why did her family camp in the garden?

• Advertisement

I am confused. Why did her family camp in the garden?

A deal with the corporation to get a house. Wasn't explained anymore than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(4th May)

Tubridy mentioned Bill and Melinda Gates statement on their divorce the oddly phrased 'we can no longer grow together’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/03/bill-gates-divorce-we-no-longer-believe-we-can-grow-together-14514284/

There was an even more surreal one from Bill when he was thinking about marrying Melnda in the first place. He used a white board with pros and cons.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/24/bill-gates-wrote-pros-and-cons-of-getting-married-on-a-whiteboard.html

Things stayed on the funny line with Ronan O’Gara speaking pigeon ‘Munster’ French.

Tubrudy seems to think that O’Gara will get better at it. But he has been giving French ‘a lash’ for over 10 years at least.

I can’t find the clip but there is is a funnier one of O’Gara on the sideline shouting ‘Cic dans le hole’ :D

The interview was with a Criminologist woman (Trina) who was not from the usual demographic who went to college during the time she did the Leaving Cert in 1991. Which happened to be the same year as Tubridy. She grew up in Artane. But did not stop learning and continued learning non-stop. Doing Certs, Degrees, Masters etc.

She seems not to blame the criminals themselves rather the ‘underlying causes of crime’. That seems to be her underlying philosophy. Building cohesion and a fixing a disconnect youngsters have in communities. She seemed to ream off ‘learned phrases’. ‘Toxic masculinity’, ‘not predisposed to criminal behaviour’ ‘positive reinforcement’ ‘inter-generational poverty’ etc.
    Well able to talk she was, 90 to the dozen non-stop. No problem for Tubridy to interview.

Honestly, I am not sure that the question of personal responsibility should be avoided/brushed off as a factor of criminal behavior. The line of ‘hung around with the wrong crowd’ seems to be trotted out a lot.

As an aside she also now has hearing aids, and overcame those issues when her hearing deteriorated later in life even though she was still young.

One of the tunes played was ‘Sorrow’ by David Bowie

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I wonder if any of us did an experiment in sending in a text or email about sobbing, with a touch of hyperbole but not too much for him to smell a rat, would it get read out? Like if we said something distinctive like "I dropped the cup of coffee right out of my hand I was balling so hard at the story on this morning".

I wonder if any of us did an experiment in sending in a text or email about sobbing, with a touch of hyperbole but not too much for him to smell a rat, would it get read out? Like if we said something distinctive like "I dropped the cup of coffee right out of my hand I was balling so hard at the story on this morning".

I think they would, sure the high water mark has been set with, and I paraphrase- "I had to pull over the car as I couldn't see properly with the tears in my eyes."

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I think they would, sure the high water mark has been set with, and I paraphrase- "I had to pull over the car as I couldn't see properly with the tears in my eyes."

Yeah, you can't get beyond that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ray darcy did it years ago.
    "I'm a six foot trucker and I had to pull into a lay-by to cry"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"I was crying while driving and ended up running someone over. I didnt stick around but it wasn't looking good.

And it's all your fault you depressing sod
    "

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ray darcy did it years ago.
    "I'm a six foot trucker and I had to pull into a lay-by to cry"

What on earth would a person's height be to do with their emotional capacity, such a dinosaur notion.

What on earth would a person's height be to do with their emotional capacity, such a dinosaur notion.

Aul Ray is obsessed with height. His first question to each guest on the Saturday night show was, "what height are you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Text in from a listener in Clontarf who wishes to remain anonymous....The last time I cried this much Ryan was when I read “De Childers Dat Did Doyed in De Rising and Dat”, which is available in all good buke shops....and some bad ones he he he he...for just €24.99

What the hell was that long email about? Seems like he smelled a rat and skipped over the end. Intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Waffle until 09:27.

Is that a record?

Is he trolling the nation when he agrees there is too much negativity about?

Lol was that you or a poster here? Listening to the Elvis song made you cry? Good work!

(5th May)

Tubridy had the usual quirky story. With tourist’s been brought to a mis-sold tourist trip to a Chinese Cemetery.
    More left field info was given. As Armand Jammot from Belgium was the creator of a show called es chiffres et des lettres which was the inspiration for the TV gameshow Countdown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_chiffres_et_des_lettres

A bit of Adrian Dubar singing ‘As Gaeilge’ on TG4 was played for some reason

There was great orchestral version of an Elvis song - Burning Song (The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) was played

Also there were contributors to the show who gave out about background music drowning out sound, clearly suffering from ‘selective hearing’. So they had to use subtitles.
    A woman at the end of the show named Ola rang up she was originally from Poland. Even though she is a linguist and spoke perfect English she likes the subtitles As she is used to them from watching foreign films in Poland,

The interview was with barrister Aoife McNickle (a Donegal Gaeilgeoir - no family legal background) about her work, history of court dress, and the traditions of court. And she even discussed legal stereotypes and whether she considered it a 'closed shop',

All in all I thought it was a good show very diverse with plenty in it.

1000s of people in Temple Bar.

What could go wrong?

Commenting on a couple divorcing. Top class gossiping from a man who talks about privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I knew this Biden non story nonsense would be prime time waffling this morning

And some people broadcast in a particular way that can be very annoying :pac:

I hate Ryan's cymbal clash button; he seems to think it's cool.

Genuinely suprised Tubridy knows what a 'hattrick' is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Commenting on a couple divorcing. Top class gossiping from a man who talks about privacy.
    Not sure Gates would be too bothered after announcing the divorce to his 54 million followers on Twitter. I find that story about the ex-girlfriend a bit hard to believe though #unconventionalmarriage

plodder wrote: »
    Not sure Gates would be too bothered after announcing the divorce to his 54 million followers on Twitter. I find that story about the ex-girlfriend a bit hard to believe though #unconventionalmarriage

I take your point. I get that it was put into the public domain as a statement and therefore a point of note so fair to be mentioned.

However, the very same statement asked for space and privacy. This I feel has been ignored in favour of gossip. I wouldn't even mind as much if it wasn't so hypocritical as the entitlement of figures in the public eye to privacy has been a point Ryan has made before.

What is this? Interview with the son of someone with a drug addiction? Book?

Having no introduction to these interviews is very frustrating and unprofessional. Is it up to us to figure out what's going on? Is it to stop listeners switching off if they know a story about cancer, terminal illness, teachers or books is comming up?

What is this? Interview with the son of someone with a drug addiction? Book?

Having no introduction to these interviews is very frustrating and unprofessional. Is it up to us to figure out what's going on? Is it to stop listeners switching off if they know a story about cancer, terminal illness, teachers or books is comming up?

He often does this, has a guest on without putting an initial context. Like as if we could really be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ryan ramping up the misery for tomorrow night on the LLS:

The very special Late Late episode will see host Ryan Tubridy speak to Hollywood star Sharon Stone ....She will also discuss her health battles - including surviving a terrifying brain bleed.

Irish jockey Rachael Blackmore

Irish country music star Sandy Kelly will be joined by her niece, Sandie Ellis, as they speak publicly together for the first time about the tragic death of Sandy's sister Barbara.

Westmeath GAA star and former AFL player Ray Connellan, spoken word artist Malaki, and ultra-marathon runner Conor O'Keeffe will speak about their personal experiences with mental health pressures.

There will also be a special musical performance from Pillow Queens of The Cranberries single When You're Gone which will feature on a forthcoming album of covers of songs from The Cranberries in aid of Pieta House.

With people around the country planning their own personal Darkness into Light walks, hikes, swims, and dances this weekend, Pieta clinical manager Leigh Kenny will be telling viewers why the suicide prevention charity's services are in demand now more than ever.

Plus All Ireland-winning player and manager Jim McGuinness will chat to Ryan about swapping football for soccer. (Jim's brother died at 16 and he was beside a friend who was killed in a car accident when 25)

The only question is why is Rachael Blackmore on when she has no tales of woe, in fact only good news this year?

KevRossi wrote: »

The very special Late Late episode will see host Ryan Tubridy speak to Hollywood star Sharon Stone ....She will also discuss her health battles - including surviving a terrifying brain bleed.

Irish country music star Sandy Kelly will be joined by her niece, Sandie Ellis, as they speak publicly together for the first time about the tragic death of Sandy's sister Barbara.

Westmeath GAA star and former AFL player Ray Connellan, spoken word artist Malaki, and ultra-marathon runner Conor O'Keeffe will speak about their personal experiences with mental health pressures.

There will also be a special musical performance from Pillow Queens of The Cranberries single When You're Gone which will feature on a forthcoming album of covers of songs from The Cranberries in aid of Pieta House.

With people around the country planning their own personal Darkness into Light walks, hikes, swims, and dances this weekend, Pieta clinical manager Leigh Kenny will be telling viewers why the suicide prevention charity's services are in demand now more than ever.

Plus All Ireland-winning player and manager Jim McGuinness will chat to Ryan about swapping football for soccer. (Jim's brother died at 16 and he was beside a friend who was killed in a car accident when 25)

The only question is why is Rachael Blackmore on when she has no tales of woe, in fact only good news this year?

A female jockey died following a fall recently. Actually tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

KevRossi wrote: »

Sounds like some form of torture, more misery mining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A female jockey died following a fall recently. Actually tragic.

I actually googled Rachael Blackmore to see if there were any cancer, child death etc. etc. stories, but found nothing. Now you mention it, I remember that tragic death. Ryan will have something to base the interview on. He may mention the Grand National and her career briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Katie and Rachel got to where they are by extremely painful hard work

• Advertisement

He also mentioned today how Sharon Stone claims to be 85% Irish. So it'll be brain bleeds and Irish credentials. Same shít, different show. 500k please.

He also mentioned today how Sharon Stone claims to be 85% Irish. So it'll be brain bleeds and Irish credentials. Same shít, different show. 500k please.

Is she anything to Michael Stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

No, but I believe she's a distant cousin of Fr Paul Stone.

Ryan 'Tory Boy' Tubridy

Watched an ad and now a blubbering mess!!!!

I can't tell if these texts are some of us now or not but kudos if it was one of you!

Incisive political analysis it's not

• Advertisement

Still waffling at 924, is he going for a new record?

Jeez not sure if he was putting on that over the top hatred of the quiz or not. Wtf

That introduction to different music genres segment on the Claire Byrne show next sounds interesting! The type of interesting and creative piece that this show simply couldn't be arsed with.

(7th May)

Tubridy mentioned how politics is being affected by the pandemic.

A woman in Spain won on a landslide on the back of an anti- lockdown campaign

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/anti-lockdown-leader-madrid-revitalizes-spanish-77501105

UB40’s drummer said their band was considered such a threat that M15 bugged their phones because they thought that they were going to start a revolution.

https://mixmag.net/read/ub40-spying-claims-news

Separately there was a lot Jimmy Carter (former USA president) spotting in Ireland from contributors to the show.
    When I think about it he is one of few US Presidents that people do not immediately give out about around the world.

The interview Tubridy had was with a sign language teacher (ISL)- Jenny Healy

https://www.signwithjenny.com/

https://www.tiktok.com/@signwithjenny?

Really enthusiastic woman, 90 mile an hour.

She did a degree in Trinity in the centre for deaf studies in Trinity

https://www.tcd.ie/slscs/cds/

It was great interview I thought.

After some discussion with the OP, it has been decided that the serious and so-called parody threads should be merged.

Posters are asked to remember to treat one another with respect, which is typical here anyway. Also to remember the rule in the charter against any abusive language towards broadcasters. Robust criticism and robust approval are equally welcome.

Hopefully this will create a more interesting, diverse range of commentary on the Ryan Tubridy Show. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement